AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-04-10, 11:15   Link #1
xxhopingtearsxx

Scanlation or Licensened Manga (buying manga)

I've just joined this message board, so I'm not sure if this forum joined the group of message boards that had at least one thread asking this question. But, I assume there was once a thread like this and now it's rotting away somewhere.. or I just didn't notice the latest one up.

Anyways, my question is.. Do you like to buy manga or read scanlations (Reading manga online).. My answer is, I will buy the manga to support it.. But I may not read the book. For example. I might buy a Manga title I know that was censored heavily, so I will just immediately put that book in the shelf until one day I would like to read it on a trip or in the car.. whatever. Then, I will go online and read the scanlations. Well, so far, I didn't have to do that. I pretty much am a beginner Manga reader who just started reading Manga for the first time since Hurricane Katrina. I have Dark Horse Manga, Manga published by a not well known company (but also doesn't censor their Manga), and I have Kenshin, One Piece, and Dragon Ball by VIZ. Yes, I know. VIZ censors. But I read it already and I'm smart enough to know that when there's a Coca Cola, it's a fruit drink. When it's a "Darn", it's a "Fuck!".

I really have no clue why companies think they need to americanize Manga. What are we? Idiots? And by the way, a lot of Manga is already for Teens. Why censor it like they're aiming for the children? Same goes with Anime. Let kids watch their Billy and Mandy cartoons. 4idiots and Funigaytion (Funimation.. bad joke) would get a better and larger audience if they let the anime fans watch it. Anime is not cartoons. Kids suck. No one cares about them. Let them wait until they're older like cigarettes.
xxhopingtearsxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 11:30   Link #2
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

i think it was asked before, but i dont know....

about the censoring part, i think viz is implementing that to lower the age ratings of those mangas. For example, ommitting every 'fuck' word in the manga may lower its age rating from mature to teen, and so forth. As for your first question, i read scanlations all the time(heck, even i am a scanlator myself) and when i find a gem in those series that i have read i spend my money getting all the volumes because of its content. But about your statement, 'ill buy it but wont read it', that's where we differ, unless its a limited edition series, only then i will wrap it in gold and protect it from the scums of the earth called "siblings" /sarcasm
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 18:32   Link #3
Kamui4356
Aria Company

It's probably less a case of viz censoring out those fucks than it is some scanlators adding them in whenever they can. Though I'm sure there have been manga series Viz actually editted. Can't think of any titles off the top of my head though, but I know I've heard of some.

Dark Horse edits titles as well. Narutaru for example. Though that is understandable in that case.
Old 2008-04-10, 18:39   Link #4
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

I've noticed myself with HQ scans I even prefer reading them on the pc eventhough I have the actual manga. Since if you have the actual manga it's smaller and the trans is worse most of the time. :|
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 22:20   Link #5
Super Ska Master

I prefer to buy manga. I only read scanlations of new series I find interesting.
Old 2008-04-11, 00:45   Link #6
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhopingtearsxx View Post
Anyways, my question is.. Do you like to buy manga or read scanlations (Reading manga online)..
My preference is to buy and read actual manga. I just prefer reading it that way, plus I want to support the mangaka who are creating these stories I like. If something is unlicenced (or the US releases are far behind the Japanese releases) I will read downloadable scanlations (although I do still buy the manga when they are released in the US). I never read manga on-line, as I find it much too annoying and difficult.

Quote:
I have Dark Horse Manga, Manga published by a not well known company
Dark Horse not well known? Since when? They publish a lot of very popular and well known manga (Akira, Oh! My Goddess, Berserk, etc.) as well as some high profile american graphic novels and comics (Star Wars, Hellboy, etc.).

Quote:
I really have no clue why companies think they need to americanize Manga.
I can't argue with that. The only time I will actually avoid hard-copy manga is when the publisher heavily edits, localizes or otherwise re-writes the original material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
It's probably less a case of viz censoring out those fucks than it is some scanlators adding them in whenever they can.
I have noticed that some scanlations seem to go out of their way to use foul language as much as possible, in situations and titles where it seems unlikely that was an accurate translation of what was actually said in Japanese.
Old 2008-04-11, 12:00   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If the manga isn't licensed, then yeah - scanlations are a great way to spot new manga.

Many manga never get licensed and unless the reader wants to be proficient in Japanese, its the only way they'll ever experience the material.

However... if the material is licensed or if something I've *read* gets licensed - I buy it. In a couple of cases, I own both the japanese and the english versions.

Quote:
I have noticed that some scanlations seem to go out of their way to use foul language as much as possible, in situations and titles where it seems unlikely that was an accurate translation of what was actually said in Japanese.
Yes... they're not being accurate in many cases -- they're "localizing" for their peer groups who apparently have potty mouth syndrome
Old 2008-04-11, 16:11   Link #8
Ketchup11
~Mikuness

I believe that if a series is licensed, and you are interested enough to buy it, buy it. It always helps the companies and the mangakas by buying their books. Besides, I like it better when you can lay down on your bed and read a good manga. If the manga is not licensed, of course I'll download scanlations. However, it can be difficult to read online or resist the temptation to download scans from a licensed manga that's far behind.

I mean, I can see where you're going with the Americanization, and yes, it's quite sad. I see these manga that are rated older teen only for a perverted comment. A lot of these manga in Japan were targeted for little girls, found in Nakayoshi and Ribon. It's sad that a comment can raise the manga rating. But that's what companies in the US do. From video games to TV shows, they're rated and censored if necessary.

The manga and anime industry has come a long way since Pokemon and Sailor Moon. It's been improving over time, gaining more respect for anime. We have been seeing honorifics in our manga nowadays. Maybe putting the name order in the original Japanese order would be nice, but I'm sure it will happen someday. 4Kids and Nelvana may never change, or maybe they'll surprise us and treat anime better. All we can do is face the worst, and hope for the best, supporting companies by buying their manga.
Ketchup11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 20:52   Link #9
piyochama

I guess this is really different from what a lot of people in this thread are saying... But I usually only do scanlations.

This is partially due to laziness on my part (since I really don't have the time nor the energy to actually go to a bookstore and buy things =P) but its also due to a financial constraint. Maybe if my college textbooks weren't somewhere around 120 a pop and my loans somewhere near 40K I would buy them, but until then, other expenses take priority before buying manga. On the whole, I actually wait until I go to Korea or Japan to buy some. I'll wait until I get my first job out of college to buy regular translated manga xD
piyochama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 00:51   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In my moral relativist world, that's pretty much okay. Currently, you're the "peanut gallery" in a Shakespearean theatre who gets in for free. Later, when you're a wealthy merchant --- you can pay for the luxury seats and provide patronage support.

Naturally, the "imaginary intellectual property" world sees it differently - but I think they've forgotten their roots in society.
Old 2008-08-11, 00:31   Link #11
Chachi

Scans or Hardcopies

I saw this topic in another message board and found it intriguing.

Basically, I want to know if you prefer manga scans from the internet or hard copies.

My opinion:
I prefer to buy the manga...if a lot of people don't buy the series, the company may be tempted to end the series, Tokyopop has been doing that a lot lately and is losing patronage for that and other reasons...but I digress.

I also like to buy them because a lot of times you get extras that aren't in scanned manga and if the scanners translate it themselves, a lot of them time they make no sense or need to be edited which annoys me.

Also, I understand the wanting to zoom in and out, but I do just as well with a real volume..but that's just my opinion. Plus, you can carry your manga around with you...and since I have a desktop...I can't carry around scans.

I buy a lot of manga and sometimes there a HUGE breaks between me getting them, but I think it's well worth it...I have over 20 series and I love and enjoy them...it's just more fun for me to have to whole volume.
Old 2008-08-11, 12:13   Link #12
alamarco
Why hello there!

If I really enjoy the manga I'm reading, I'll eventually buy it. Having a hard copy to bring around is always handy. As long as the manga isn't heavily edited, I'll buy it.

It's how I treat everything. I'll give it a download, and if it's good enough I'll put money into it. You get to support the creator and get an actual copy to add to your shelf.
Old 2008-08-11, 17:55   Link #13
Chachi

I guess I should mention that I just recently started to read manga online and I only have around 7 series on my computer, or less.

I have slow connection so I'm not as free with what I download, but I only download things that I haven't already bought, wanted to try out, or just don't know what it's like.

I've also finished a series online that I started to borrow.
Old 2008-08-18, 19:26   Link #14
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I have bought alot of manga that I read online first. I personally would prefer to buy the chinese version instead of the english because 1)chinese flows better with manga (because of the right to left verticle text) 2) they're more similar to actualy japanese volumes and most importantly 3) It's cheaper, yet it's still a legal way to read it. 10% of my mangas are in english, 90% are in chinese.

I would say 50% of my manga I have read part/all of it online, 40% where I seen the anime first and really wanted to see the manga, 10% are by the looks of how cute it is (or it happened to be on sale ;P) ^_^'' Currently my shelf (and random cardboard box) stands at 220 volumes approximately.

I also like buying manga, because I use them for art reference sometimes. I especially love to stare at Arina Tanemura's artwork. I never take my mangas outside the house, no way. My manga is purely a collection to stare at, and time to time taken out just to read a few pages and being placed back on to the shelf.