AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-02, 06:52   Link #261
lotus7
Aria Obsessive
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney
I thought the shinbo style worked wonders for this. I thought ef was a bit grating after a while (yeah, i know ef wasn't shinbo, but the style sure as hell was), but when used in conjunction with comedy it feels... right. I was a little doubtful on marina inoue as matsurika too, but she pulled it off really well.
__________________
lotus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 08:17   Link #262
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Episode 1 batch:

Animated









Static









All freebies and AS friendly!
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 09:04   Link #263
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I thought the visual trickery was very much like ef, though since it's obviously at least a semi-comedy, there's none of that weird sense of dread that came with the ef shows (especially the first one which was Shinbou-directed). And of course, the old Pani Poni Dash stylings are back!

The delusional inner-speak sorta made me think I was watching Skip Beat for a sec.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 10:12   Link #264
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
...there's none of that weird sense of dread that came with the ef shows (especially the first one which was Shinbou-directed)....
I believe (based on memory and Japanese Wikipedia) that both efs were directed by Oonuma Shin, with Shinbo as a kind of editorial supervisor (監修).

That sense of dread -- as well as the visual extremeness that some people found grating -- was part of what made ef memories so great for me.

But I agree with lotus7 that the Shinbo style seems to be good for this show. It keeps entertaining and moving me when there are plot elements I don't like.

I guess I'm part of what Shiroth referred to as the "yuri fanbase," and I've got to agree with him that I come to this with a negative prejudice, based on the manga. I was quite happy with the male female characters in Kashimashi and Blue Drop manga, but this male female is too nasty for my taste. I don't like nasty characters no matter what their gender, to be honest. But I'll keep watching (a) for Shinbo, and (b) in hopes the character will improve or get his come-uppance. And, of course, as far as I've seen this is not really yuri, as people have said.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 11:09   Link #265
Secca
nya`
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
I just watched the 1st episode, cannot stop laughing. >_<
Spoiler:
__________________
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 11:25   Link #266
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
there's none of that weird sense of dread that came with the ef shows (especially the first one which was Shinbou-directed).
Slight divergence for a second: I would very much like to know where this misinformation comes from, because I hear it all the time! Kaoru Chujo is correct -- the credits of all ef episodes have the very same series director all along.

Of course, it doesn't make as much difference as some people say, because each episode has its own episode director, storyboard artist, and animation supervisor. People sometimes give a series director, especially someone like Shinbo, too much credit -- their job is mostly to set the tone and overall feel and keep people on the same page. He may have pioneered and developed his "trademark style", but all the rest of those he works with are really the ones who do most of the "running with it" from week to week. If a series director had to micro-manage every aspect of every episode, they'd go crazy.

In any event, I'm looking forward to seeing what they pull together for this show.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 16:03   Link #267
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Wait.....ep 1 comes out on the third. I know japan is either behind or above us as far as time goes......So did it already premier there? or...tonight or tommorow night? im unsure
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 16:04   Link #268
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
It was an AT-X pre-airing. The show debuts in its regular time slot this Sunday.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 16:05   Link #269
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Of course, it doesn't make as much difference as some people say, because each episode has its own episode director, storyboard artist, and animation supervisor. People sometimes give a series director, especially someone like Shinbo, too much credit -- their job is mostly to set the tone and overall feel and keep people on the same page. He may have pioneered and developed his "trademark style", but all the rest of those he works with are really the ones who do most of the "running with it" from week to week. If a series director had to micro-manage every aspect of every episode, they'd go crazy.
Still each episode is handled in the way that Shinbo has visioned it, as shown in all the shows he has worked on in the position as a director. Shin Oonuma worked under him as a junior, so that explains the way the two ef shows turned out --- plus with the added Shinbo as chief supervisor for the first season.

& Pellissier you are evil, how do you expect me to choose just one of those avatars to use?
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 16:07   Link #270
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
plus with the added Shinbo as chief director for the first season.
This! That's the part that's not true! He was the supervisor for both seasons equally. He was never chief director for one and not the other. Where does this misinformation come from? (Sorry for the short divergence...)
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 16:08   Link #271
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
This! That's the part that's not true! He was the supervisor for both seasons equally. Where does this misinformation come from?
As you may see i just edited my post because i was rushing a little. Though it still stands that he did work under Shinbo. That was made clear during an interview with Shin while the first ef was airing in 2007.

Anyway, i don't class the two ef shows as Shinbo shows, because they're obviously not. People just tend to make the connection because it's by SHAFT.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 16:12   Link #272
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
As you may see i just edited my post because i was rushing a little. Though it still stands that he did work under Shinbo. That was made clear during an interview with Shin while the first ef was airing in 2007.
But it's still wrong in the sense that Shinbo was the supervisor for both seasons equally. The staff for both seasons was exactly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Anyway, i don't class the two ef shows as Shinbo shows, because they're obviously not. People just tend to make the connection because it's by SHAFT.
Right, granted.

Sorry for the diversion...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 16:14   Link #273
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Sorry for the diversion...
You've nothing to be sorry for --- it's a topic that's related to the series (in a strange way, but it still is!).
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 17:20   Link #274
Falkor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
lol at the tags ("trap")--genderbending would me more adequate, though...
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 17:21   Link #275
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
lol at the tags ("trap")--genderbending would me more adequate, though...
But Maria is a trap..

Adding genderbending. I actually thought it was already done.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 18:14   Link #276
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
the words "its a trap" kept cycling through my head while watching the show.. i like the maid.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 00:58   Link #277
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In my mind...
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Episode 1 batch:

Animated

May I have this one please? Thank you very much Pellissier!
__________________

Minnie's Blog- My thoughts, my stories.
Hey, Say, Anime!- My anime blog with a group of writers.
rose-wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 02:42   Link #278
tzia_n
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philippines, but also in my imaginary world
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
the words "its a trap" kept cycling through my head while watching the show.. i like the maid.
i also like the maid, and how she makes those side comments

and I'd use one of those sigs if only he wasn't a trap lol
__________________
tzia_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 03:26   Link #279
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Send a message via AIM to MercFH
man all I know is that i LOVEEE the music. i cant wait for an OST
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 03:49   Link #280
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
But it's still wrong in the sense that Shinbo was the supervisor for both seasons equally. The staff for both seasons was exactly the same.
Jesus, it's not math or anything. It's conjecture, duh. For one, first season of ef basically followed a lot of Shinbo quirks and it just seemed apparent that he had had more of an input in that show than for the second season. The general lack of Shinbou-isms is the apparent proof. I don't think you can make a case just because of the names in the credits. Especially when Shinbou is like Shigeru Miyamoto of Shaft. He's EVERYWHERE in that studio.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, genderbender, romance, seinen, shaft, trap

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.