AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 60 52.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 26.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 13.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.87%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-07, 23:27   Link #81
Ingram

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
- Alto's brother tells him if he's worried, come to the Saotome estate. Quite clever of him.
Alto just needs to arrive in his VF-25.

As far as Ranka or Sheryl "winning" in the race for Alto, I don't have a preference; I like both girls and feel sorry for both of them right now.
Old 2008-08-07, 23:29   Link #82
ReddyRedWolf

Illustrate the gunship inconsistency in this episode.

Spoiler for Battle 25 gunship in episode 1 and others.:

Spoiler for Battle 25 gunship in episode 18:

The gunship has now a protusion like Battle 7 and Battle 13.
Old 2008-08-07, 23:34   Link #83
Sleepy100
*snore**snore* zzz.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Before we get to the Alto bashing phase, lets not forget that he done much for Sheryl.

Yes, some may be small things, but a lot proved to be an emotional big-step for him. Never mind that he can appreciate Sheryl as she is, and not her shine as a star. This episode pretty much indicated that nobody cares about her other than her status.

Beyond that, Alto did much for Sheryl, really. For example, he braved securities trying to return her earring, braved securities again trying to take Sheryl into the Quarter, and now, he will be suppressing his pride to return to the home he hates the most just to see Sheryl. Come on, the boy does deserve credits.

- Tak
You forgot fighting to save Galaxy in Episode 7. Or taking her to Folmo Shopping Center. Or watching out for her when she went crazy in the Ex-Gear. Or trying to save her when they were on Galia 4. Or saving her in Episode 15.
Old 2008-08-07, 23:36   Link #84
Tak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy100 View Post
You forgot fighting to save Galaxy in Episode 7. Or taking her to Folmo Shopping Center. Or watching out for her when she went crazy in the Ex-Gear. Or trying to save her when they were on Galia 4. Or saving her in Episode 15.
Thats why I count on you to fill in the blanks

- Tak
Old 2008-08-08, 00:01   Link #85
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Personally, I loved this episode. Rich with incident and implication.

I like Alto, but he remains a very vague character. All he knows is that he wants to get away from being the princess. He loves both Ranka and Sheryl, in some way (Ranka more, it seems to me), but they are not the focus of his life as much as getting away from the Saotomes is.

I find both the new OP and ED songs boring. Nakajima Megumi is not a highly skilled singer, but there is always beauty and emotion there, for me, and that beats flashy orchestration and a professional voice every time.

Now I'm finding Michel and Kuran the most interesting couple. Especially Toyoguchi Megumi as Kuran. Someday maybe she can do an anime where she performs all the voices, from little girls to old men.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Old 2008-08-08, 00:05   Link #86
Tak
Banned

Wow, you don't like Northern Cross...

That hurt.

- Tak
Old 2008-08-08, 00:51   Link #87
magnuskn

I looooove the new OP. I want the full version! <wrings hands>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Before we get to the Alto bashing phase, lets not forget that he done much for Sheryl.

Yes, some may be small things, but a lot proved to be an emotional big-step for him. Never mind that he can appreciate Sheryl as she is, and not her shine as a star. This episode pretty much indicated that nobody cares about her other than her status.

Beyond that, Alto did much for Sheryl, really. For example, he braved securities trying to return her earring, braved securities again trying to take Sheryl into the Quarter, and now, he will be suppressing his pride to return to the home he hates the most just to see Sheryl. Come on, the boy does deserve credits.

- Tak
Yeah, Alto has been getting much better lately. And the sole reason why Sheryl-sama and him havenīt made it work already, is that they get interrupted by plot contrivances, like Michael walking in on them or Altos brother snatching Sheryl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
When Klan was doing her research, she found the picture of the three scientists (Grace, Mao, and Ranshe) from the Cosmos magazine dated Nov 2047 while they were all with the 117 Research Fleet. The picture of young Sheryl on the operating table was from a different article dated in 2053 when Grace is on Galaxy after the destruction of 117 Research Fleet.

So there is a six year gap between the two. And by 2053, it's likely Ranshe and Mao are gone with the destruction of 117 Research Fleet, so Grace can do whatever she wants.

So at this point, there are still many possibilities with Sheryl's background.
A-HA! So, the "Ranshe Mei is Sheryls mom" hypothesis could well fly. Wouldnīt take much to convince me, I can definitely see Sheryl ending up as a refugee from the 117th research fleet on Galaxy, where nobody cares and she ends up as a street urchin, to be found again by Grace ( who got major "Mwu-haha!!" points this episode, for looking and acting extra-evil ).
Old 2008-08-08, 01:01   Link #88
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

I already forgave Alto the moment he brought Sheryl back to his dorm

BTW, the one thing that Megumi's voice lacks is not talent, but emotions
Old 2008-08-08, 01:04   Link #89
zalem

Megumi sounds like a kid....though I suppose since it's Ranka that is ok. But compared to everyone else she sounds like such a little girl. I like her version of Aimo quite a lot but I do think other people do it better.
Old 2008-08-08, 01:14   Link #90
MaiHikari

Excellent episode.

We're getting to know Alto a little more than just the gar character. I don't understand why he keeps his hair long even though he gets mistaken for a girl. I assume it's not the first time he experienced a case of mistaken gender. And then there's the inner conflict after meetiing with Ozma. Ozma tells him to protect Ranka and then asks him to think about what he's living for, what he's fighting for. He looks at the picture of Ranka and then looks at the sky. I think he's not fighting to protect any one person, but really to protect the sky, peace of the universe. Perhaps we'll learn more about Alto's past and character in the next few episodes.

As for Sheryl, I gotta give her props for still being strong after Grace pertty much slaughtered her and talks to her as if she's already dead. But I do worry about the virus inside of her. Kawamori, give her a cure! You can't kill off the heroin again!
Old 2008-08-08, 01:34   Link #91
Sleepy100

Wow, Alto is becoming super human, if he could go so fast that his helmet shield shatters.

Spoiler for Lion Op:
Old 2008-08-08, 02:07   Link #92
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I looooove the new OP. I want the full version! <wrings hands>
Well the song was apparently broadcast over a couple of Japanese fans and someone recorded it and uploaded to nico video. So it's a pretty bad recording, but if you really want it, you could just head on there and search for "Lion" (in Japanese text of course, sorry I'm a bit busy right now and forgot to save the link).
Old 2008-08-08, 02:24   Link #93
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
. Nakajima Megumi is not a highly skilled singer, but there is always beauty and emotion there, for me, and that beats flashy orchestration and a professional voice every time.
Oh my, I've heard so many emotional singers and Megumi is just not one of them. Her only emotion / style so far is "cute". Too bad we don't get to hear more of her Diamond Crevasse in episode 2.
Old 2008-08-08, 02:49   Link #94
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
Oh my, I've heard so many emotional singers and Megumi is just not one of them. Her only emotion / style so far is "cute". Too bad we don't get to hear more of her Diamond Crevasse in episode 2.
I agree...it's just so one-dimensional. It just lacks passion. It's like she doesn't "feel" anything when she sings.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼

Projekt MUSE is Back! Girls, Guns, Mecha and More!
http://www.projektmuse.com/

Lone Wolf's World of Popculture Goodies
Latest news on Comics, Manga, Anime, Video Game, Etc...
http://www.lw-concepts.com/lw
Old 2008-08-08, 04:01   Link #95
Elehayym

I agree about May'n being the more skilled of the two without any doubt, but that shouldn't be a surprise seeing how she *is* a professional singer, no? Let's not forget that Megumi just debuted with this series and she was chosen as both voice actress and singer (and she's doing an OK job as VA too if you ask me). May'n does the singing parts only and is awesome at them but I find it a bit unfair to compare them like if they should be on equal grounds.
Besides it's been said many times, Sheryl is the seasoned singer while Ranka is the newbie so Nakajima fits the part just fine

Anyway I really love the new opening but I was a bit left down by the recycled footage Does Ranka really have only one dance that she can do for any song? <.< I'm liking the fact that I still have no idea of where this is gonna go but I can't avoid agreeing with the others about Alto being just... depressing.

Wao said it best with the thing of him having two switches in his mind
Old 2008-08-08, 04:08   Link #96
sailorsim

Spoiler for surname spelling:

i have a feeling this is a deliberate misspelling.
Old 2008-08-08, 04:11   Link #97
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elehayym View Post
I agree about May'n being the more skilled of the two without any doubt, but that shouldn't be a surprise seeing how she *is* a professional singer, no? Let's not forget that Megumi just debuted with this series and she was chosen as both voice actress and singer (and she's doing an OK job as VA too if you ask me). May'n does the singing parts only and is awesome at them but I find it a bit unfair to compare them like if they should be on equal grounds.
Besides it's been said many times, Sheryl is the seasoned singer while Ranka is the newbie so Nakajima fits the part just fine
I'll take the Sheryl is seasoned vs Ranka argument, but please avoid the "May'n is a professional singer and Megumi is new" argument. Megumi was auditioned among many other singers. Aside from that, listen to Maaya Sakamoto when she started out in Escaflowne at age 15. She was also the voice and singing artist. Emotions are there, more than what Megumi has shown so far! (Megumi is probably 18-19 years old when she recorded songs for Macross)
Old 2008-08-08, 04:21   Link #98
Elehayym

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
I'll take the Sheryl is seasoned vs Ranka argument, but please avoid the "May'n is a professional singer and Megumi is new" argument. Megumi was auditioned among many other singers. Aside from that, listen to Maaya Sakamoto when she started out in Escaflowne at age 15. She was also the voice and singing artist. Emotions are there, more than what Megumi has shown so far! (Megumi is probably 18-19 years old when she recorded songs for Macross)
She wasn't auditioned among professionals tho As for Maaya Sakamoto, I think she sounded much more "raw" than what she is now when she started with Escaflowne, but hey, I adore her (don't need you to tell me to listen to her really XD) and am not expecting Megumi Nakajima to become anything close to her for sure, if not only because I don't think there is many like Maaya at all.
I didn't write that Megumi Nakajima is super awesome and a prodigy and better than Maaya Sakamoto, did I? Just saying that people are bashing her so much when she's still doing an OK job and fitting for her character.

And btw I don't find her that emotionless really, just most of her songs (all except Aimo?) are on the cutesy/idol style, and when she attempts May'n songs she's of course gonna be inferior to her (I said in my first post that May'n is much better didn't I?)
Old 2008-08-08, 04:24   Link #99
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

I haven't seen the episode yet but I did catch the new OP on YouTube which I thought was pretty damn good.

Just a speculation on my part from the OP but how powerful would the Song Attack be if both Sheryl and Ranka both sang at the same time. Would this increase the attack strength and range? Just came to mind due to the scene near the end of the OP where both Sheryl and Ranka are singing together in what looks to be in a serious way.

Oh and some people are just talented singers. May'n is no doubt a talented singer. Megumi may not have as much talent she is still good. Imagine who they passed over to pick her. I wonder who the other contestants for the role were. Anyways the argument of who is better is kind of stupid. May'n better simply because she has more talent and has a longer career. The characters in the show are no different. Sheryl has more talent and a longer career while Ranka is just starting hers. I think the similarities to the actual voice actresses in real life are uncanny.
Old 2008-08-08, 04:42   Link #100
Sleepy100

For those of you who are wondering how little Ai becomes the big bad Vajra, perhaps this is the way?

Image from Random Curiosity.

Spoiler for EP 18:

Obi Wan: "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Spoiler for EP 18:
Closed Thread