AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-16, 09:32   Link #121
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Now that I've watched the subbed episode, the dialogue is really off-putting. Who the hell remarks on someone's eyecolor in their first meeting as ash mauve colored or pale green, peridot? I'd expect that from someone's mary-sue/gary-stu fanfic, but, come on... Minor nitpick aside, hopefully next episode will improve because I desperately need some quality shoujo animu fixes right now.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 17:43   Link #122
White Manju Bun
Sempa.......
*Author

Haha with Sensei, Sage and sapphi_pyro all here I feel like Im lj XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
Gah! I've been around you guys too much...You all have made me stand too dangerously close to the edge *teeter-totter*...
Insanity is contagious! (whoops wrong anime!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltan
4chan had a thread calling the characters Shirley and Schneizel. I came here, but so far I'm not getting the good vibes... maybe it'll work out if I actually watch an episode...
Hmmm I could see why it was called that. Though I think Lydia looks a bit more like Shirley then Edgar looking like Shiz. Its her eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK-Sensei
Spoiler for epi 2:
Oooooo Im loving this pair more and more!
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 19:25   Link #123
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Now that I've watched the subbed episode, the dialogue is really off-putting. Who the hell remarks on someone's eyecolor in their first meeting as ash mauve colored or pale green, peridot? I'd expect that from someone's mary-sue/gary-stu fanfic
About their talks on the eye color, perhaps the series is just being poetic and stuff. It's old Europe by the way, where classic literature are more popular and people are acting noble and stuff xD If you hear such dialogues in an anime that is set during modern times . . . then there's really somethign wrong ^^; Unless it's part of the character's personality.

Speaking of Mary Sue . . . I see Lydia as becoming such a type x_x . . . .aaaaahhhh!!!!!! *dislike for Lydia is growing and growing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Oh, I didn't know they're form lj as well xD Hello!
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 19:28   Link #124
loltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post

Insanity is contagious! (whoops wrong anime!)

Hmmm I could see why it was called that. Though I think Lydia looks a bit more like Shirley then Edgar looking like Shiz. Its her eyes.

Oooooo Im loving this pair more and more!
Well to me, Edgar looks more like Tamaki.
loltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 19:45   Link #125
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltan View Post
I think so as well. When I first saw Edgar, my reaction: OMG TAMAKI LOOK-ALIKE ME LOVES!!!!! xD
Old 2008-10-16, 20:37   Link #126
PreSage
Up-rope-ree-ate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
Oh, I didn't know they're form lj as well xD Hello!
Hiya! *wave wave wave*

Quote:
I think so as well. When I first saw Edgar, my reaction: OMG TAMAKI LOOK-ALIKE ME LOVES!!!!! xD
That's what got me watching this series in the first place!! If I hadn't seen Edgar, I would never have even thought of watching this anime.

@Yami-pin: Haha, so Stein took over your sig. Naru will definitely kill us now.
---------------
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 21:01   Link #127
loltan

I still can't stop imagining Code Geass while watching this. I saw the first ep.

First thing I realize:

Edgar = Xingke

Secondly, during that moment when Lydia and Edgar were staring at each other, I started thinking, "Geass her now!"
loltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 04:26   Link #128
White Manju Bun
Sempa.......
*Author

Quote:
Me too, the first time I saw the preview pic I was like TAMAKI!!! XD But I can see why 4chan would say Shiz and Shirley but yeah Edgar more of an evil!Tamaki at this point XD

Quote:
Edgar = Xingke
That sealed the deal for me. Well and when I heard Sugita as Raven.....HOLY HOT!

@Sage: ooooohhhh trust me, I felt him glare at me when I changed it, Hibari on the other hand didnt seem to care XD
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 06:14   Link #129
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Hiya! *wave wave wave*
*waves back*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
If I hadn't seen Edgar, I would never have even thought of watching this anime.
As for me, I think I'd still watch this even if Edgar wasn't part of the cast because fairy + old Europe setting + pretty art will always attract me *_* . . . . .*a sucker for fantasies*

But, Edgar's being such a Tamaki look-alike had been a super huge factor that made me want to see it as soon as possible xD In other words, it wouldn't have been such a top priority if it weren't for Edgar xD Hehehee

Quote:
Edgar = Xingke
. . .. I don't see it x_x How? Definitely not in physical appearance, right? x_X
Old 2008-10-17, 07:18   Link #130
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

It the same V.A for both.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 07:45   Link #131
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
It the same V.A for both.
Ah, okayz, now I get it. hehe *only knew the seiyuus of the 4 main characters of Code Geass ^^;*
Old 2008-10-18, 01:57   Link #132
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~

Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
Quote:
Speaking of Mary Sue . . . I see Lydia as becoming such a type x_x . . . .aaaaahhhh!!!!!! *dislike for Lydia is growing and growing*
I don't know if it's our different tastes in female characters or not but I am watching this show BECAUSE of Lydia. Her character design is unique (especially her hair as someone mention before) and her personality in the first episode is such a breath of fresh air. I believe she only blushed ONCE and that's because he was grabbing her before falling into the ocean. I can't stand female characters taht go lovey dovey/blushy over male characters every few seconds so I am loving Lydia at the moment. And the way she brush aside all those flattering and flirting from Edgar? I love her strong stance. However, this is all coming from someone who hasn't watched Episode 2 with subs yet.

But if our tastes in heroines are different, we can agree to disagree. I just want to say something to defend Lydia because I love her .00001% more than Edgar right now~
rose-wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 04:36   Link #133
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose-wisteria View Post
Her character design is unique (especially her hair as someone mention before) and her personality in the first episode is such a breath of fresh air. I believe she only blushed ONCE and that's because he was grabbing her before falling into the ocean. I can't stand female characters taht go lovey dovey/blushy over male characters every few seconds so I am loving Lydia at the moment. And the way she brush aside all those flattering and flirting from Edgar? I love her strong stance.
I don't actually dislike Lydia after watching the first episode. And surprisingly, we have the same reasons for liking her. I admire strong females that don't blush too much, who dares to shove away the guy's flirty acts, and has a unique character design

HOWEVER, leading ladies that trip (or anything really clumsy/stupid that will make her easier to be captured by the enemy) on critical situations more than once (I can understand if it's just once in a number of episodes, but for two consecutive episodes? BAD SIGN!) and being held hostage by the enemy helplessly (it's not that I only like the fighter type, but they could be the brave [like she's not afraid of getting hurt or killed, whether she'll be saved or not] or selfless type [like those who tell others to escape instead of saving her], but Lydia had been the helpless type IMO >_>) . . . . or in other words, a damsel-in-distress, is a big TURN OFF for me x_x

BUT, this is just the second episode. And I haven't seen the sub either, though I've read summaries. Maybe Lydia won't turn out to be such a character after all. So I can't really tell if I'll hate her till the end ^^;

As of now, I really dislike her because I tend to forget her likable traits because damsels-in-distress piss me off so much x_x Though I admit I've liked some female characters who are like that, but their positive traits had been powerful enough for me to ignore their damsel-in-distress moments xD Hehe.

Quote:
But if our tastes in heroines are different, we can agree to disagree. I just want to say something to defend Lydia because I love her .00001% more than Edgar right now~
But yeah, it's also possible that maybe it's simply just because our tastes in heroines differ xD Sorry for thinking of ill thoughts of your favorite character ^^; . . . but I can't help it x_x The thought of her had began to irritate me x_x But though I dislike her, I don't dislike her fans of course Everyone's opinions and tastes differ. Hehe.
Old 2008-10-18, 07:18   Link #134
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Quote:
About their talks on the eye color, perhaps the series is just being poetic and stuff. It's old Europe by the way, where classic literature are more popular and people are acting noble and stuff xD
Sorry to say, but bad writing doesn't really excuse anything, shoujo or not. Still, I'm hoping for some improvement next episode.

As for your seemingly frothing hate over Lydia, I'd reckon you won't have much fun with this series then, considering she is the lead character.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 07:28   Link #135
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Sorry to say, but bad writing doesn't really excuse anything, shoujo or not.
For me it was okay though. Or maybe my qualifications for good dialogue just isn't that high ^^; Or simply because it just doesn't bother me. Hehe.

Quote:
As for your seemingly frothing hate over Lydia, I'd reckon you won't have much fun with this series then, considering she is the lead character.
Yeah, I know, but . . . BUT . . . Edgar . . . Raven . . . even Nico . . . and most likely the other characters that will appear soon too . . . are . . . love xD Wheeeeeee!
Old 2008-10-18, 08:44   Link #136
Nemesis

this is a great anime.nice thing to solve my boredom.

Last edited by Nemesis; 2008-10-18 at 08:55.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 20:28   Link #137
Shadow Kira01

Is Edgar really the Earl? He certainly seems like an imposter, but then.. Who else can be the Earl? Perhaps, he is what he claims.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 00:27   Link #138
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~

Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
Quote:
HOWEVER, leading ladies that trip (or anything really clumsy/stupid that will make her easier to be captured by the enemy) on critical situations more than once (I can understand if it's just once in a number of episodes, but for two consecutive episodes? BAD SIGN!) and being held hostage by the enemy helplessly (it's not that I only like the fighter type, but they could be the brave [like she's not afraid of getting hurt or killed, whether she'll be saved or not] or selfless type [like those who tell others to escape instead of saving her], but Lydia had been the helpless type IMO >_>) . . . . or in other words, a damsel-in-distress, is a big TURN OFF for me x_x
That's funny because I believe our tastes in females are actually almost completely the same. XD However, I am not as harsh I guess? I agree that I hate female leads that trip but I don't hate those that get captured if they have not shown any signs of being able to defend themselves beforehand. For example, I found myself hating this one female character who has shown that she has mastered karate for the past how many years and gets into hopeless situations over and over. That I hate a lot. What happen to that karate? Damsels in distress are a turn off for me as well but as of the moment, I am overlooking all this in Lydia because one, she hasn't shown any signs of physical training in the past so I can't expect her to kick ass out of nowhere and two, her other refreshing qualities outshine her lesser ones. I hope she will improve as a character more though.

Quote:
But yeah, it's also possible that maybe it's simply just because our tastes in heroines differ xD Sorry for thinking of ill thoughts of your favorite character ^^; . . . but I can't help it x_x The thought of her had began to irritate me x_x But though I dislike her, I don't dislike her fans of course Everyone's opinions and tastes differ. Hehe.
I believe our tastes are the same except that I don't think Lydia's bad traits >> good traits thus far. I'm glad you won't dislike her fans since as a Sheryl fan from Macross Frontier for example, I read a lot of bashing on my char and my end in the past. I guess in other words, I'm more tolerant of Lydia at the moment. I don't mind the needing help thing. BUT if she turns out to be Mary Sue, I might change my mind. Mary Sue is a big No-No for me. ^_^

I just watched Episode 2 subbed and as far as I can tell, the answer to Edgar being an Earl or not is...

Spoiler for Edgar's Real Identity:

Thanks to Episode 2, I am officially an Edgar fan. :P
rose-wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 02:41   Link #139
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Just watched episode 2 subbed.

Spoiler for episode 2:

Spoiler for guesses on episode 3:

Quote:
That's funny because I believe our tastes in females are actually almost completely the same. XD However, I am not as harsh I guess?
I think I have been harsh xD After seeing episode 2, she wasn't as bad as I thought she was from watching the raw. I guess what triggered me to hate her that much was her constant tripping x_x It reminded me so much of a certain leading female in a very very popular teen novel. That girl is one of the leading females that are high in my hate list so Lydia reminding me of her had been a bad sign for me x_x
But well, since she doesn't seem to be as bad as that girl . . . .she's hell more decent actually . . . so for now she's okay. I won't become easily irritated on her on episode 3 if something like that happens again if I haven't seen it subbed. Hehe.

Quote:
I agree that I hate female leads that trip but I don't hate those that get captured if they have not shown any signs of being able to defend themselves beforehand.
I am alright with those that can't defend themselves. I just hate those who have the helpless look and "save me" dialogues. But there had been exceptions of course, hehe.

Quote:
I found myself hating this one female character who has shown that she has mastered karate for the past how many years and gets into hopeless situations over and over. That I hate a lot. What happen to that karate?
I HATE THAT TYPE TOO!!!!!! *four females came to her mind* Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh . . . . they're not only burdens, but they also don't use their brains! So stupidly annoying!!!! Uuuuggghhh -____-

Quote:
Damsels in distress are a turn off for me as well but as of the moment, I am overlooking all this in Lydia because one, she hasn't shown any signs of physical training in the past so I can't expect her to kick ass out of nowhere and two, her other refreshing qualities outshine her lesser ones.
I don't expect Lydia to kick ass. She's a . . lady xD Haha! I'm totally fine with her type . . . .just don't get rescued every single episode ;_; That's just annoying T_T

Quote:
I believe our tastes are the same except that I don't think Lydia's bad traits >> good traits thus far.
Seems like it. The tripping and rescuing stuff were just strong enough to make me irritated x_x

Quote:
I'm glad you won't dislike her fans since as a Sheryl fan from Macross Frontier for example, I read a lot of bashing on my char and my end in the past.
I can understand character bashers *since she's one of them . . . SHOT!* but with fan bashers . . . that's a different issue -_-
Wait, you like Sheryl? *notices icon* Oh yeah xD I didn't continue watching MF but I'm alright with Sheryl . . . the one I can't stand was Ranka >_> *Ranka fans threw rotten tomatoes at her*

Quote:
I guess in other words, I'm more tolerant of Lydia at the moment. I don't mind the needing help thing. BUT if she turns out to be Mary Sue, I might change my mind. Mary Sue is a big No-No for me. ^_^
Oh Mary Sue . . . a damsel-in-distress is already so terrible. Combine with a mary sue is just so . . . .uuuuuggghhh . . . .
Old 2008-10-19, 05:03   Link #140
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Lydia is moe

Ep 2

A slightly better impression now than I had after 1 ep. These characters still haven't exactly won me over, though.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shoujo