AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 39 35.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 33.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 14.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.73%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-14, 14:17   Link #61
ickem
シェリルの為に!

The ending warmed the cockles of my heart immensely. Klan tells Sheryl not to run away when Sheryl is about to leave without seeing Alto at the concert, which was awesome. Also Yasaburo talks about how once someone gets a taste of emotions involved in performing, they can never give it up. This goes for not only Alto, but Sheryl as well. He also compliments her on her acting with regards to Alto after Alto leaves.
Old 2008-08-14, 14:20   Link #62
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to bkg9990 Send a message via Yahoo to bkg9990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
ranka = /facepalm LOL!!!

Sheryl fan, open your champagne!!!

Ai-kun = uh oh!!!
*Opens up some champagne*

1 week of wait yet again xD
Old 2008-08-14, 14:21   Link #63
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
Misa walks in on Minmay hugging Hikaru at the coffee maker in his room. She lets herself in and tries to hide her dismay over the situation by keeping the subject to the lyrics for the song they found in the city. She leaves crying and Hikaru goes to run after her... much moe ensues.
Actually it's Minmay who leaves crying and Hikaru stays with Misa. He later finds Minmay to give her the lyrics and persuade her to sing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletha View Post
The end was probably more innocent then it looks anyway, especially considering Sheryl's random collapsing. But man, I'm gonna rage if they go and try to portray Ranka as the one being screwed over.

Ranka singing for Alto? Ugh. Ranka is such a feminist, let me tell you.
I'm surprised she only realized it by now Meh, so much for slowly become mature and independent... She's back to starting point again. Does Ranka ever have any thought that isn't involving Alto?

Now I can't say singing is Ranka's hope and dream anymore. That realization makes all her past efforts to become the universal idol seem like a joke. Did she do that for herself or just to impress Alto? Does that mean if she does lose him to Sheryl she'll stop singing altogether? That's so much like DYRL Minmey. I'd love to see Alto slapping the girl awake like Hikaru did

Ranka's problems seem to be so little comparing to Sheryl's. It's a teenager love trouble, not a matter of facing the death and losing everything.
Old 2008-08-14, 14:31   Link #64
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to bkg9990 Send a message via Yahoo to bkg9990
This episode seems to remind me that Ranka is like heading for the Minmay route.
Old 2008-08-14, 14:39   Link #65
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

^ don't assume it'll be the same, remember no Pineapple salad :P
Old 2008-08-14, 14:46   Link #66
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post
I'm surprised she only realized it by now Meh, so much for slowly become mature and independent... She's back to starting point again. Does Ranka ever have any thought that isn't involving Alto?

Now I can't say singing is Ranka's hope and dream anymore. That realization makes all her past efforts to become the universal idol seem like a joke. Did she do that for herself or just to impress Alto? Does that mean if she does lose him to Sheryl she'll stop singing altogether? That's so much like DYRL Minmey. I'd love to see Alto slapping the girl awake like Hikaru did

Ranka's problems seem to be so little comparing to Sheryl's. It's a teenager love trouble, not a matter of facing the death and losing everything.
I'd kind of pay to see the slap. This episode to me, was a huge step backwards in Ranka's growth as a character. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to think it's romantic, but I don't. It's just kind of pathetic.

Well, the sad part is she DOES have problems but ignores them and just does whatever Alto thinks is okay. I'm hoping she'll grow up and actually find a real reason to sing. I mean, she's being used as some ultimate weapon and her reason for doing it even if she knows it's not right, is Alto. It's insulting to any performer (Alto and Sheryl) to have some high school crush be the main reason she's singing.

Her motivation for starting to sing could be Alto, but the sole reason? Didn't she enjoy it before Alto?

I also wouldn't compare this to Minmay/Hikaru/Misa in DYRL. Hikaru and Misa were in an established relationship at the time. Neither one was dying either.
Old 2008-08-14, 14:47   Link #67
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Yeah it'll not be the same. This time, Ranka dies.

Hopefully.
Old 2008-08-14, 14:48   Link #68
zalem

Quote:
The end was probably more innocent then it looks anyway, especially considering Sheryl's random collapsing. But man, I'm gonna rage if they go and try to portray Ranka as the one being screwed over.

Ranka singing for Alto? Ugh. Ranka is such a feminist, let me tell you.
Unfortunately it does kind of look like they are trying to build up Ranka sympathy points. She running up those stairs in all her loli glory just to see Alto. All happy and saying "Alto, Alto, Alto" over and over again. And then she sees Sheryl and Alto and is all emo.

I find it hard to sympathize with her considering all that Sheryl is going through right now.
Old 2008-08-14, 14:53   Link #69
glyph

Quote:
I also wouldn't compare this to Minmay/Hikaru/Misa in DYRL. Hikaru and Misa were in an established relationship at the time. Neither one was dying either.
Misa was leaving Earth for good on the Megaroad, though, in SDFM. That forced the indecisive Hikaru to finally make his choice, or regret it for the rest of his life.
Old 2008-08-14, 14:55   Link #70
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Unfortunately it does kind of look like they are trying to build up Ranka sympathy points. She running up those stairs in all her loli glory just to see Alto. All happy and saying "Alto, Alto, Alto" over and over again. And then she sees Sheryl and Alto and is all emo.
You canīt imagine my seething hatred for her at that moment. Fricking child, why does she meddle in such an adult relationship?
Old 2008-08-14, 15:05   Link #71
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
ranka = /facepalm LOL!!!

Sheryl fan, open your champagne!!!

Ai-kun = uh oh!!!
Go go ai-kun kill the anoying green haired pest
Old 2008-08-14, 15:08   Link #72
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Misa was leaving Earth for good on the Megaroad, though, in SDFM. That forced the indecisive Hikaru to finally make his choice, or regret it for the rest of his life.
True. But I think people were talking about DYRL in that scene with the coffee pot. I don't think you can compare them scene by scene with Frontier. Things are just too different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn
You canīt imagine my seething hatred for her at that moment. Fricking child, why does she meddle in such an adult relationship?
I can imagine! I almost think it will make her look bad considering what Sheryl is going through. I mean how can she be so upset about that when Sheryl is dying and finally trying to tell Alto? All of her actions were so childish and selfish in this episode. This really has to set her some real growth for her.
Old 2008-08-14, 15:10   Link #73
Key Board
Donut

lol at the school days ending

it seems Sheryl pulled a special move this time with a possible confession.

I don't think it was her SUPER move, though, unless she really revealed her entire drama, which I doubt.

edit: regarding those yellow Vajras in the audience. Wouldn't it be HILARIOUS if that was actually Vajra
Old 2008-08-14, 15:15   Link #74
Sleepy100
*snore**snore* zzz.......

Quote:

I can imagine! I almost think it will make her look bad considering what Sheryl is going through. I mean how can she be so upset about that when Sheryl is dying and finally trying to tell Alto? All of her actions were so childish and selfish in this episode. This really has to set her some real growth for her.
People, cut her some slack. We all know that Sheryl is dying, but does Ranka? She probably thought that Sheryl only has an annoying cold that never goes away, not some life threatening disease.
Old 2008-08-14, 15:16   Link #75
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

- Ranka decides she will sing for Alto, and perks up like a puppy.
- Sheryl pushes Alto away again.
- Alto's brother sees through her act instantly, quite ironic.
- Michael tells Alto how much Sheryl is watching out for him in the midst of her problems. He nearly reveals Sheryl's secret before stopping himself. Alto is beginning to catch on, and demands to know what's going on.
- Klan pushes Sheryl to talk to Alto.
- Ranka mistook Alto's piercing of the heart as a love confession.
- She runs up the stairs going "Alto-kun" 4 times.
- She catches Alto and Sheryl together. (Sheryl probably collapsed)

Preview:
- Alto talks to her when she's either hiding or sulking in the corner.

...Yeah. *needs next episode*
Old 2008-08-14, 15:20   Link #76
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
\I don't think it was her SUPER move, though, unless she really revealed her entire drama, which I doubt.
Nah, Sheryl's supermove is coming in Episode 22, IMHO, since it's titled after her new song. Ranka might have a special move coming in 21, but it will be interesting to see how it's played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
edit: regarding those yellow Vajras in the audience. Wouldn't it be HILARIOUS if that was actually Vajra
I think they were real Vajras. In fact, one of them might be Ai-kun himself. Reason being they look like the bigger version of the Big Zom style Vajra in episode 13. Additionally, the normal population is unlikely to know what "teenage" Vajra looks like, so it's very unlikely there are cosplayers dressed up as ones.

Last edited by Darial; 2008-08-14 at 15:42.
Old 2008-08-14, 15:36   Link #77
zalem

Yeah, I'm laughing at all those times some people insisted that Ranka wasn't dependent on Alto. These last few episodes proved just how bad/clingy she is. All that maturation she gained before seems to be flying out the window.

Though she got points from me back in episode 12 and a bit in the sing off, she has lost many, many points from me for these past few episodes. My usual apathy and ambivalence towards her is starting to creep into dislike. Not quite, but close. I really hope she does something to turn things around.
Old 2008-08-14, 15:53   Link #78
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy100 View Post
People, cut her some slack. We all know that Sheryl is dying, but does Ranka? She probably thought that Sheryl only has an annoying cold that never goes away, not some life threatening disease.
I don't think that has much to do with anything. All of her actions before the wtfpwn'd bit were selfish and childish. I don't blame her for not knowing about Sheryl's illness, other then her not caring anything about her since.... well, forever. This is someone she admired as well, in the early episodes.

All I'm saying is I don't see how this is the return of poor underdog Ranka considering the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis
- Ranka mistook Alto's piercing of the heart as a love confession.
Hahahaaaa
Old 2008-08-14, 16:00   Link #79
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
All I'm saying is I don't see how this is the return of poor underdog Ranka considering the circumstances.
Sheryl was about to run away when she got cornered by Klan, who forced her to talk to Alto. I assume she was beginning to open up to Alto, but now that Ranka interrupts, she might reconsider her decision. I won't be surprised if Sheryl pulls back even further.

As mentioned again...

Spoiler:
Old 2008-08-14, 16:10   Link #80
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Spoiler:
Yeah, Sheryl is too proud for that, even in her current condition. Besides, I think we're swinging into the political intrigue and action side of the drama again. So I'd expect a quick wrap-up of the triangle situation next episode and leave it on ice until 21/22.
Closed Thread