AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2008-08-14, 19:52   Link #1
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Download-to-own episodes at Funimation

Does anyone know what format(s) Funi uses to distribute a "download-to-own" show? Despite making a good-faith effort to determine the answer to this question from Funi's own site, I was thwarted at every turn by huge, annoying Flash objects.

The show I was interested in is Jyu Oh Sei, a BONES series for Noitamina. It's only eleven episodes at $2 apiece, so it's not a big financial commitment. From this page, it looks like it's Windows-only; Mac and Linux owners need not apply. Are they using Silverlight? (I might just buy an episode to see how well I do with the full suite of mplayer codecs and no MS Windows. ) Nowhere does Funi indicate the aspect ratio (640:480 is my guess; maybe 720:480), the method of encoding (MPEG4?), the audio encoding (MP3?), or whether the subs are soft or (probably) hard. I guess they think the audience of people looking to download shows over the Internet don't care about those things, but they seem pretty important to a lot of people here on AS.

I was especially surprised not to see the producer on the Jyu Oh Sei page. Perhaps it doesn't matter to the casual anime viewer, but it sure matters to me. What's more, it seems like a slap in the face to the studio not to have "BONES" in front of my eye whenever I'm on a page about one of their shows.

I'd like to support Funi in this endeavor, but they're not making it easy.
Old 2008-08-14, 20:35   Link #2
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Even with all the flash enabled it isn't any easier finding technical details about the files... I can tell from the help pages that it probably uses some kind of DRM, presumably Microsoft based as the files are WMV and they direct you to the Microsoft Media Player 10 site for support. Unfortunately I cannot get any further than that because I'm not currently resident in the US... at ~$2 I'd be happy to play a bit more, but it isn't an option yet.
Old 2008-08-15, 00:04   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Looks suspiciously like a crippled form of "owning". And yeah, the Microsoft product hurdles (Silverlight blah blah blah) pretty much kill my desire to buy from Funimation through that channel.

"Download to own" has a very specific meaning to me that isn't dependent on some license server existing for all eternity.

First alarm bell with Silverlight is a homepage that doesn't actually tell you what it does because it uses extensive marketing-zombie-speak.
Quote:
Microsoft® Silverlight™ is a cross-browser, cross-platform, and cross-device plug-in for delivering the next generation of media experiences and rich interactive applications for the Web.
Then it tells me my OS isn't compatible (an old laptop I run win2K+sp4 on with Firefox instead of IE).

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-08-15 at 00:21.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 02:05   Link #4
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Looks suspiciously like a crippled form of "owning". And yeah, the Microsoft product hurdles (Silverlight blah blah blah) pretty much kill my desire to buy from Funimation through that channel.

"Download to own" has a very specific meaning to me that isn't dependent on some license server existing for all eternity.

First alarm bell with Silverlight is a homepage that doesn't actually tell you what it does because it uses extensive marketing-zombie-speak.

Quote:
Microsoft® Silverlight™ is a cross-browser, cross-platform, and cross-device plug-in for delivering the next generation of media experiences and rich interactive applications for the Web.
Then it tells me my OS isn't compatible (an old laptop I run win2K+sp4 on with Firefox instead of IE).
thats to be expected, I mean, it is a Microsoft product where almost everything get pushed to complete disaster. I mean look at Vista, XP is actually considered by many to be better.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 05:51   Link #5
ZeroSama
All Hail Lelouch!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
thats to be expected, I mean, it is a Microsoft product where almost everything get pushed to complete disaster. I mean look at Vista, XP is actually considered by many to be better.
Not considered to be better, it is better. I had Vista since near its release(I'm the system administrator at work and thats what we use) and even with SP1 its a half assed job with more problems than you could shake a stick at(UAC, Loss of HaL rendering creative EAX useless without Alchemy, flaky drivers, people at work whinning that PC's aren't as responsive not realising that Vista is bloatware..yada,yada,yada).

In the meatime since the release of SP3 for XP i have had a grand total of Zero problems with XP, no BSOD's or hardlocks.

If i had my way all the computers at work would have XP on them again

Last edited by NightWish; 2008-08-15 at 06:25.
ZeroSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 09:39   Link #6
ffdshow

It seems that they are selling episodes at iTunes and xbox live, too. (no iTunes in this box)
ffdshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 12:31   Link #7
lamer_de

Quote:
Are they using Silverlight? (I might just buy an episode to see how well I do with the full suite of mplayer codecs and no MS Windows. )
No, at least the website works without it.

Quote:
Nowhere does Funi indicate the aspect ratio (640:480 is my guess; maybe 720:480), the method of encoding (MPEG4?), the audio encoding (MP3?), or whether the subs are soft or (probably) hard.
A tip: Click on "Click here to download and purchase", and you'll get a file named FUN_JYU-OH-SEI_01_JPN_640X360.wmv. So yeah, it's wmv9/vc1 & wma audio at 640x360px. I'm strongly guessing hardsubs, seeing that wmv doesn't support the inclusion of softsubs to my knowledge, and the file without subs would be of little use to the vast majority anyway. It's DRM'ed, which is why you need windows (or probably more specific: Windows Media Player).
Old 2008-08-17, 00:51   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

eyup... I'll be sticking with DVDs (and perhaps Blu-ray) for the time being (and fansubs for stuff that remains unlicensed). I've spent a lot of money on Funimation so they'll just have to live with that.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download-to-own, funimation, silverlight