AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-19, 05:25   Link #201
Pachael
原作通り

Oi oi I thought people hated big schticks? ;p

PS Yamakan's such a tease

Last edited by Pachael; 2009-06-19 at 07:17.
Old 2009-06-19, 05:47   Link #202
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
And if you ask me they made a bad call in letting him go as ever since then Kyoani shows have suffered noticeably in terms of style and oomph on a number of levels (especially in the opening/ending department which has now mostly just fallen into repeating the same name under the character cutout eroge style bits with half-assed attempts to capture a bit of Yamamoto's dance style thematics). He brought something unique to the table and you can tell he had an imagination and ideas, but I can bet that he probably had a Tominoesque flair to his personality that they didn't want to deal with or indulge. Should have worked it out instead.......he maybe could have even taken the reins of K-On and played to his strengths in making that more then it ended up being. It would have been one of those matches made in heaven, but alas twas' not to be.
Yeah I have to agree that KyoAni is less without him, though if he was arguing all the time with say Tatsuya Ishihara behind the scenes than it was probably better for their chemistry as a studio to remove him. Still... I know I'll rather see Yamakan behind the helm of a KyoAni series than Yoshiji Kigami or Hisako Yamada.
Old 2009-06-19, 06:25   Link #203
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well while there's no doubt of his great ability in animation choreography.... Kannagi was great because of great voice talent and characterization, not necessarily from great directing.
and I wonder who is supposed to direct the voice acting and create the characterization? nope, not the director, methinks.

I will still watch anything this guy does. what he has so far done has always been very enjoyable, interesting and unique (at least for me). and seeing that he is going to do the OP (and hopefully direct the OVA), should we expect another dancing number?
Old 2009-06-19, 07:07   Link #204
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Pretty sure the Casting people look for the voice talents and the characterization due to the writing of the manga creator.
Old 2009-06-19, 07:12   Link #205
Westlo
Lets be reality

Direct the voice talent =! look for voice talent. And don't ignore that he directed two anime original episodes and added in a lot of scenes throughout that fit the manga. I'll say he's more talented than many still at Kyo Ani Seriously what K-ON! episode is better directed than the God Knows Ep of Haruhi?
Old 2009-06-19, 07:24   Link #206
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Sigh.

I'm not dissing the fact that he's a fantastic animation choreographer because he is, I'm just questioning all the hype he's getting for directing a few great OPs and EDs and having some directing and writing credits for a few shows. It's not as if he's directed a fantastic series that has caused the collective asplosions of all our dongs, and until that time comes where I must swallow my pride and build shrine to his greatness, I'm not buying into the hype.

Unless of course not buying into the hype is a sin.... no I'll consider it my sin for the day.
Old 2009-06-19, 09:13   Link #207
ZODDGUTS

Hype or not he did a great job with Kannagi. So I'm looking forward to more of he's projects. Supposely he's doing/directing Angel Beats hopefully that's true.
Old 2009-06-19, 09:31   Link #208
typhonsentra

Kinda glad this was saved, I was very curious about it from it's description.
Old 2009-06-19, 09:46   Link #209
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Sigh.
Yes sigh indeed.

Quote:
I'm not dissing the fact that he's a fantastic animation choreographer because he is
And noone is saying you are so why do you continually bring this up for no reason?

Quote:
I'm just questioning all the hype he's getting for directing a few great OPs and EDs and having some directing and writing credits for a few shows.
Because said shows he's directed and wrote for have been well received maybe Generally if you do well and standout you build hype, that's how it works!

Quote:
It's not as if he's directed a fantastic series that has caused the collective asplosions of all our dongs, and until that time comes where I must swallow my pride and build shrine to his greatness, I'm not buying into the hype.
What Haruhi doesn't count now? Let me list what he did for Haruhi...

Series Production Director
Episode Director for 1, 12 & ED
Script for Episodes 1, 3, 5 & 12
Story board for Episodes 1, 9, 12 & ED

KyoAni went out of their way to name him Series Production Director when no such role exists, downplay his contribution all you want like you did with Kannagi, facts show otherwise

Instead of whining and than mentioning "I've never said he's a bad animation choreographer" why don't you tell us who should be getting the hype.... who exactly is better than him? It's not like people are saying he's better than Mamoru Hosoda ffs..
Old 2009-06-19, 10:47   Link #210
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Fact is, Kannagi was a better series than either Haruhi or LS, both of which are phenomenally overrated. KyoAni are the ones who made a mistake in all this.
Old 2009-06-19, 10:58   Link #211
Falkor

Quote:
I'm not dissing the fact that he's a fantastic animation choreographer because he is, I'm just questioning all the hype he's getting for directing a few great OPs and EDs and having some directing and writing credits for a few shows.
eh, that's not the impression I was getting from your initial comments. Kannagi was a success in my eyes and it proved that Yamakan was more than a capable director. He improved upon different aspects of the manga and successfully translated Kannagi to the anime medium, making the show stand by its own merits, in the form of its already rich characters or through the always entertaining comedy---add also the opening sequence, which he is going to do for yaoi-chan.

This is getting slightly off-topic, methinks, but I don't see much hype surrounding Yamakan compared to the hype you usually see in Kyoani-related shows. He is a director whose latest work I enjoyed the most in the last 8 months, so it is of no surprise if I'm looking forward to whatever he is going to do next, even if it's just an opening. Perhaps, I'm not the only who thinks in this way...
Old 2009-06-19, 11:05   Link #212
M.Marangio

This gigazine article has a staff list:

Quote:
Staffs:
Original Comic:Ajiko Kojima("Tonari no 801-chan", Ozora Shuppan)
Character Drafts: Misonobashi 801 Shotengai Shinko Kumiai / Haruna
Director: Yutaka Yamamoto("Kannagi", ED animation of "Haruhi Suzumiya", OP animation of "Lucky Star")
Character Designs: Satoshi Kadowaki
Color Composition: Kazuko Nakajima
Cinematographer: Gaku Hirooka
Music Production: Slowcurve
Sounde Producer: Masatoshi Nishimura(FENCE OF DEFENCE)
OP song composed and edited by A-bee("Lucky Star", "Sgt. Frog") Lyrics: Karayabon
Planning and Produce: Ozora Shuppan 1st. Editorial Office / Try-o
Special Cooperation: Ordet
Production: A-1 Picture("Big Windup!", "Kannagi")
Old 2009-06-19, 11:31   Link #213
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
This is getting slightly off-topic, methinks, but I don't see much hype surrounding Yamakan compared to the hype you usually see in Kyoani-related shows.
With Yamamoto, the hype is more centered on the individual than his works. He's a particularly outspoken guy with a hefty ego, so that really stands out.

By and large, Kyoto Animation's staff have remained relatively low profile (public attention is on the various series they release as well as the company as a whole), which is typical of Japanese corporate culture.

Quote:
Talk about a burning grudge. Ever since Kannagi, he has been posting a lot of bitter quips. Whatever happened between him and the KyoAni management better be epic, or he'll come off as sounding very villainous.
I'm sure there are plenty of other grudges within the industry. It's just that few air their dirty laundry in public.
Old 2009-06-19, 11:58   Link #214
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quite honestly, Haruhi's new episodes are as much great as Haruhi's old episodes, barring awesome the old ED sequence aside (which is still mindblowingly awesome). Which makes me question exactly how much did he bring to the table.

And unlike other people here, I particularly don't have a high opinion of Yamakan's Kannagi, despite enjoying it immensely. As a highly esteemed poster has said, your enjoyment of that show rests almost entirely how much you like a particular character (Nagi), rather than the show actually being 'good'.

I'm not saying Yamakan is bad by any means, as he definitely improved in Kannagi from his shortcomings in the first few eps of LS. But in my eyes, he's really nothing to write home about, good or bad, let alone even come close to people IMO like, say Kenichi Kasai.

That said, I'm still glad 801-chan is still being animated, as I highly enjoyed the live-action version of it. About time we get an anime based on the typical female otaku, rather than the idealized female otaku we see in such shows such as Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu and the like.
Old 2009-06-19, 15:20   Link #215
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
He went from being the golden boy who directed, story boarded and wrote scripts for episodes of Air, Haré+Guu, Kanon 2006 and Haruhi (as well being behind the Haruhi ED and Lucky Star OP crazes) to being someone who according to KyoAni had not reached the level of an animation director. I don't blame him for being bitter, since KyoAni insulted him with that reason for firing him. I'm sure it was politically based considering his prior work, who left KyoAni to join him at Ordet and who still works with him who are still employed by KyoAni... His Kannagi was great and I hope he gets Key's Angel Beats as well and since that's an ANIPLEX production there's a chance of that.
meh, at least another company is respecting him for that fact. Besides, KyoAni is getting overrated, let another take the pitch.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2009-06-19, 15:36   Link #216
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

I do enjoy how these topic inevitably turn into KyoAni hate fests, simply because there's nowhere else on the internet one can get away with that.

Sigh...

Anyway, if 801-chan is turned into an anime I'll certainly watch it. I'd like to see how A-1 does with material like this anyway.
Old 2009-06-19, 16:09   Link #217
musouka

This news once again further solidifies my affection for A1.

They're not perfect--I'm not a big fan of what they did to Black Butler--but at least they choose series that, while still run in male-oriented publications, have a wider appeal to both genders than what KyoAni usually chooses to adapt. I've pretty much given up ever seeing KyoAni break out of their little niche, so it's nice to see A1 picking up the slack. (I hope they get back to more Oofuri soon! I know there's enough to make a second season at this point)
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2009-06-19, 16:15   Link #218
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
This news once again further solidifies my affection for A1.

They're not perfect--I'm not a big fan of what they did to Black Butler--but at least they choose series that, while still run in male-oriented publications, have a wider appeal to both genders than what KyoAni usually chooses to adapt. I've pretty much given up ever seeing KyoAni break out of their little niche, so it's nice to see A1 picking up the slack. (I hope they get back to more Oofuri soon! I know there's enough to make a second season at this point)
I believe this adaptation is less about A1 expanding into different genres than it is about Yamakan one-upping KyoAni, tbh.
Old 2009-06-19, 17:12   Link #219
Kouvley

An interesting turn of events here.

I thoroughly enjoyed Kannagi so Yamakan certainly has the skills but I really think he should let this grudge against Kyoani go, whether justified or not, it just comes across a bit childish and petty. It would have been more classy to have just let his future works do the talking and let Kyoani rue the fact they fired him.
Old 2009-06-19, 17:13   Link #220
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Sigh.

I'm not dissing the fact that he's a fantastic animation choreographer because he is, I'm just questioning all the hype he's getting for directing a few great OPs and EDs and having some directing and writing credits for a few shows. It's not as if he's directed a fantastic series that has caused the collective asplosions of all our dongs, and until that time comes where I must swallow my pride and build shrine to his greatness, I'm not buying into the hype.

Unless of course not buying into the hype is a sin.... no I'll consider it my sin for the day.
Alright, look at it this way, consider what drew most people's attention to Haruhi when it was still a no name. Mention the Haruhi anime to someone and what is the first thing they tend to talk about. Is it the ending video? Is it God Knows? What is the primary source of fan generated content when it comes to the series? Give it a look and see what you find.

Obviously he didn't direct Thriller or Smooth Criminal, I don't think anybody is holding him up to that level, but he contributed a lot to the success of the shows he participated in. If not through the most direct of channels, at least through the window of viral marketing/video potential.
Closed Thread

Tags
4-koma, fujoshi, kyoto animation