AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

View Poll Results: Choose the Artist you like best
HayashiTakara 2 8.00%
Scep 9 36.00%
Toxic_Trance 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-08-23, 11:42   Link #1
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Artists Alike and from Afar - August Drawings Contest (Theme - End of Summer Romance)

*Official Poster for our August Contest by: Toxic_Trance (makes a good temporary Wallpaper too ^^)
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Hello and I'd like to say hi from myself (Aoie_Emesai), and everyone else from the Artist Alike Social Group.

But we would like to post our drawing here from our Current August Drawing Contest for those of Animesuki to see and to vote upon.

For this August drawing theme, it is "End of Summer Romance" chosen by our last months Winner, *HayashiTakara*.

ps: I did not post some of the rules to the contest, due to them only affecting the contestants and not the voters.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

About The Artist Alike and Afar Social Group - I create this group back around when Vbulletin start with their recent upgrade to version 3.7.1 and myself who love/like to draw wanted to share my like/love of it with with others of Animesuki. It was a slow start, but 47 members strong at the moment. (+15 from last month, huhuhu ^^)

But what ever the reason was, our true purpose is to simply draw and critique on others drawings. "Share our world with each other" ^^

About the contest:
This contest is open to all members of the Artists Alike and from Afar social group. The goal of this contest is for people to learn from each other’s drawings as well as have fun in the process through the process of a contest.

About the Time period Voting:

Since this is the Second time with this for me and the Group, it has actually ran late (again, I was being lazy >.<) and has been extended but this phase for voting shall still turn out the same. (by 12 hours)

August 23rd - August 30th , will be the duration of this voting phase, ending exactly at 11:59pm on the 30th, GMT time.

About the Theme:
Each month prospective contestants are given a theme to base their entries on. This theme is decided by the winner of the previous contest. There are several types of themes, mainly being

I) Content theme
a. What you want the contestant to draw (nothing against the forum rules please)
b. For example, beach, winter, or gothic. (don’t take these as guidelines, you can choose something special)
c. Please try to limit your themes so they aren’t so wide, but don’t limit it to much – do leave it open to a certain extent of interpretation.
d. Limiting by character. For example, we can choose a character like ichigo from bleach and have everybody draw that character.

II)
Material theme
a. Different materials may present different challenges and it will add an interesting touch to the contest
b. However try to limit the materials to things that are relatively easy to find (eg. Charcoal, markers).
c. Materials like tablets should not be a material, because it is not easily accessible to anyone.

III) Colour or non colour?
a. Since we do not have alot of members anyway, we probably shouldn't have a coloring section and non coloring section. At the same time however, these should not be judged together, since in most cases, coloring would be given more credit, so please make it clear in the theme of the contest whether coloring is allowed.

About the voting rubric: -

When you vote, you are encouraged to give feedback and suggestions to the individual artists, as well as to give them a score. Giving scores and feedback are not required, but it would be a nice gesture and would help them improve.

Also when voting, I would like for you to also do as above, but it's not necessary. This is just so i can match the amount of actual votes amongst the poll.

When voting, you are required to choose One entries that you think are the most outstanding.

*The voting has been changed a bit and it will be conducted as a poll style voting, and i'll (meaning Aoie_Emesai with some help maybe) be doing a manual check on them for any dupes or ineligible votes.

*Any accounts created within the last week will not be eligible for voting, this is to reduce and prevent any kind of multiple voting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here are our Entries (alphabetized by user names)

HayashiTakara

Spoiler:

Scep

Spoiler:

toxic_trance

Spoiler:

Happi voting and have some fun

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2008-08-23 at 13:16.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 13:02   Link #2
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
My voting criteria are a little odd. I love visual storytelling. Obviously you cannot tell an entire manga at one image, but a good drawing makes me think : "Who is he/she? What's their story? What will happen next? What are they like?".
That's just me. I'm sure many would feel art suffers from forcing too much detail or back-story into it.

A) Toxic (first):
I'll be honest, I thought your July submission was a mish-mash of random characters and eye candy. Technically well-drawn, but not memorable.

This time you focused on one girl and built cues into the image so that I could imagine her story. The letter, the music, the photo, her nostalgic expression........each little element added depth. True, it wasn't the most radical approach, but sometimes story-telling is just about sound fundamentals.
Well done. I hope you continue the emphasis on portraying strong character and story, as you already have all the drawing skills required.

2) Hayashi (second):
I loved the back-story, the characters, the facial expressions....so why doesn't the image work for me? I guess because a perfect image should tell much of the dynamic between the two characters. That's why I loved your sheena pic so much.......I was able to guess the whole story before you told me.

In that sense, maybe you didn't choose the right moment from your story to make a drawing of? Two characters facing each other in the rain isn't highly unusual imagery, and doesn't capture the richness of your backstory.

I don't have any creative suggestions for how you could've made the image more memorable/powerful. And "you should've drawn the expressions better" is easier said than done. So, here are some "play by the numbers" suggestions for what you could've done, similar to Toxic's approach. It verges perilously close to cliche and "over-stuffing" an image. But here I go anyway:

1) Either character could've been carrying something precious. A memento from each other, or from a parent?
2) The backdrop could've been some place that was special to them? A plain backdrop is fine, but only when the characters "steal the show" and should have no distractions.
3) He could've had blood on his hands :P? (Okay that was a little dumb, but just an example of something different).
4) The backgrounds seemed bland and drawn in insufficient detail.
5) Awesome as the characters and story were, maybe it just wasn't suitable to be explored in a single image.

The concept and characters were still well-done though. I wish I could've seen your efforts with more time, perhaps in a one-shot of some sort?

C) Scep (third):
Not much to say here. Your specialty seems to be sketching unique, powerful characters. Now, presenting a character in just one image is challenging. An image needs enough cues to have depth, but too many details mean there's nothing left to curiosity or imagination (as Forged Glory points out)

While I felt your July submission struck a good balance.........here it felt too undefined. A girl crying with her back turned during autumn. So what? I'm sorry, there just wasn't enough that was mysterious, nor enough hints to get me curious. Even if you had a great backstory envisaged, the image felt vague. Although it's sad that a talentless person like me would criticize :P. *Shrugs shoulders*.

Your images are usually very creative Scep, and I'm hopeful to see that flair return in your next submission.

Last edited by Amirali; 2008-08-30 at 03:58.
Amirali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 13:26   Link #3
ForgedGlory
Fortitude

Since someone actually made a post about why he chose what he did, I can't help but do it too...

OK

Hayashi; love the character designs, and just by looking at the art, I felt intrigued. I wanted to know more. I wanted to know what led to this scene. The background was a little blah, but focus was on the characters. I went and looked at the drawing in your album and read the story, and I gotta say, well done indeed!

Toxic; good technical work, but it left little to the imagination. You can guess exactly whats going on. It doesn't quite leave you wanting more the way Hayashi's did. Also, I hate to say this, but the image feels really... flat. The sense of depth is fairly weak.

Scep; Good concept and coloring... but the actual drawing needs work.
ForgedGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 21:35   Link #4
BleachOD
Banned

I voted for Scep. (Sorry HT. I want to be fair)

@HT.
The reason Scep won over yours is concept.
When I look at yours, the last thing that comes to mind is "End of Summer Romance" It's more like the "Dawn of romance" "New Beginnings" I like the colors, I like the artwork. It was well done...it just didn't capture the theme,imo. Also I think the top panel should be on the bottom.
If you did that, it would look like the end of something, instead of the begining of something.It was romantic but you put a parka on her. In the summerjust the umbrella would be fine. They don't have on summer outfits.

@Toxic-guy. Artistically your's the best. Just like your last one, I think that the images are great. However it's not in keeping with the theme. I can tell the character is hurting. However I don't know why. She could be crying over anything. It could be lost love, or something else equally romantic. It could be over not winning a contest. It could be over not having the courage to confess to someone. It could be anything If not for the leaves, I wouldn't think of any season. Actually I think the leaves were out of place in that pics.

It reminds of one of those Shoujo Manga, in which the heroine has a job in the entertainment industry. I think you are talented as hell. I just think you should look at your pics and try to determine if it conveys the message it's supposed to. Instead of leaving it open to viewer's interpretations.

@Scep.
Yours wins. It's in keeping with the theme. It's a powerful image. It has emotion, heartache. I like the colors. It has fall colors but it's not quite fall. Showing her from behind was a nice touch. It's clear she is hurting, we can't see her face. But the powerful image of her hugging herself says everything.

Combined with the stark beauty of the landscape, colors, and emotion the character is expressing without saying anything. Makes me think of loves lost. the "End of Summer Romance" message is clear. I love the romance of it. (I like the characters hair color. the scenery complements it nicely. )

I think you all did a great job. I could only pick one. I chose the person I thought was best. I did so because in my opinion. It's the best one because it was...the only one that actually expressed emotion, without tears or text. It also was in keeping with the theme. So I voted for it.
BleachOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 22:12   Link #5
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

voted for toxic trance.

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 13:09   Link #6
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I am not so sure for wich one to vote!

Be back a bit later.
Old 2008-08-24, 13:10   Link #7
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I am not so sure for wich one to vote!

Be back a bit later.
will 10$ help u in makin the decision faster
Old 2008-08-24, 13:13   Link #8
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
I see your 10 and raise you 20! lol
Old 2008-08-24, 16:18   Link #9
Animepandafreak
Panda(ie)-chan

Send a message via AIM to Animepandafreak
i'll vote 4 1st tt and 2nd ht

Hey, check out MY MANGA IDEA, so i hope u check it out and express your feelings.
Animepandafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 21:55   Link #10
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
I give hayashi ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-08-25, 07:00   Link #11
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Voted! Good luck to all!
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 17:09   Link #12
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I see your 10 and raise you 20! lol
Wha!? no Playstation 3 to win my love!

Anyway, there's my vote now. Sorry for the lack of feedback. I have been a bit rushed this last couple of days. >_<!
Old 2008-08-26, 10:03   Link #13
Delitesco
Hobby Artist

Great that all three got votes!

There is still time to vote, don't miss it .

I voted a while ago.
Delitesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 21:56   Link #14
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Only 16 votes atm >.<

Vote some more for me ^^

ps: I always put mine last before I officially close of the votes. (not like it matters, i setted it to close 7 days after the polls open anyway)

Old 2008-08-27, 14:18   Link #15
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

but this is great improvement. last time it was just 5 votes or something. This is much better.
Old 2008-08-27, 18:15   Link #16
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
I was still hoping that everyone in the group would vote... I guess that was hoping for too much?
Old 2008-08-27, 23:52   Link #17
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Vote- Scep

HayashiTakara The comic style itself isn't a bad idea, but i think something was lost in translation since it didn't really make me feel anything special.

toxic_trance A very, very close second. My favorite part is the feet, the freakishly hard to grasp feet. And for this one, the was actually some raw emotion that you can feel. And your attention to detail is great.

Scep In my opinion, the best overall. There wasn't any direct showing of emotions, but you can definitely feel it. And the color coordination was superb. This one just left a lot of space for one's imagination to kick in.

^ Touhoues for president. ^
Chinese Saimoe 08 Congradulations to C.C. and Shana for winning Chinese Saimoe 08
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-29, 15:15   Link #18
Delitesco
Hobby Artist

HayashiTakara - I think that many was happy just voting the first round. But it would be nice still if more voted ofc!

One more day until this voting section closes.
Old 2008-08-29, 17:05   Link #19
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Scep gets my vote. The colors and landscape really drive home the emotions. The drawing could use some work but the theme holds up really well.
Old 2008-08-29, 17:33   Link #20
escimo
Paparazzi

I voted for toxic_trance. A glimpse of it will give you an idea about where we're at but studying it a bit more tells a whole and rather detailed story. Clues are scattered here and there, but none of them are forced or intrusive.

Tags
artistalike contest vote