AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-13, 03:16   Link #41
james0246

Vexx has hit it on the mark, Beijing was awe-inspiring, Vancouver was simply inspiring. One of the NBC commentators said, after the ceremony, that the Opening was supposed to be personal, something for everyone, and I definitely felt that way watching this quite beautiful event. I especially liked the fact that the director (I'll have to look up their name later) had the athletes introduced before the actual ceremony started, making the following event not just an introduction to the games, but a specific welcome for the athletes and the world watching.

Favourite moment: The whales, definitely the beautiful CG/Shadow whales, though the entire beginning section was a sight to behold.

Best ironic moment: the sudden realization that beloved character actor Donald Sutherland's son is internationally known for being everything that is hated about the US (still, it was great to hear this legendary actor's voice again (I know he was in a television series just a year or so ago, but it was a silly series, so it is best forgotten), he should get into voice acting if he has retired from formal acting, though just looking at him carrying the flag, it's hard to tell that he is 75 years old).

edit: David Atkins directed the opening ceremony (he also did the Sydney opening)...interesting that an Australian was hired to direct a Canadian opening...suddenly, I have a strange desire to see Atom Egoyan direct the Opening Ceremony, can you just imagine how amazing that would have been (I can just imagine the story of isolation controlled and enforced by an uncaring bureaucratic system, isn't that the Opening Ceremony you want to see? ).

Last edited by james0246; 2010-02-13 at 03:33.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 03:31   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Donald Sutherland.... he probably hates the thought but he'll always be "Oddball" to me (the character he played in cult classic WW2 comedy Kelly's Heroes) ... though his role in M*A*S*H is also iconic.
Old 2010-02-13, 03:38   Link #43
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Favourite moment: The whales, definitely the beautiful CG/Shadow whales, though the entire beginning section was a sight to behold.

Best ironic moment: the sudden realization that beloved character actor Donald Sutherland's son is internationally known for being everything that is hated about the US (still, it was great to hear this legendary actor's voice again (I know he was in a television series just a year or so ago, but it was a silly series, so it is best forgotten), he should get into voice acting if he has retired from formal acting, though just looking at him carrying the flag, it's hard to tell that he is 75 years old).
Loved the whales too, especially the mist jets.

And to be specific, Keifer Sutherland is the son of Donald Sutherland and... Shirley Douglas, the daughter of Tommy Douglas. Who is generally also considered the father of Canada's public health system. Kiefer actually campaigns for his grandfather's (very leftist) political party on occasion, which is probably an interesting mental image for some.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 05:43   Link #44
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I do feel that the world will look back at Vancouver olympic opening and think of Kumaritashvili and Georgia, since that image is so defining and powerful; just as how that Turin's impression was cemented by Pavaroti and Beijing with that flood of endless performers.

As for the world's impression of Canada, I think the performance aired is completely overshadowed by what people witnessed on the streets of Vancouver Eastside, Stadium, Waterfront and at Whistler. They see protesters, green grass, counter-protesters, flash mobs braving the rain, a mini-Hong Kong, endless rain, reverence to the deceased, thirst to win in Hockey, in a modern metropolis that is nothing like the canonical Canada... which cannot come through in any kind of staged performance.

Maybe, it will have the audience wonder about this very mixed feelings that they get... and perhaps that is the true summation of Canada... and forcing everyone that's witnessed all of this to become Canadian, for just a little while.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 10:57   Link #45
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The Beijing Olympics was jawdropping... but I think this, the Vancouver Olympics, is one of the *PRETTIEST* opening ceremonies I've seen since I started watching way back in the 1960s.
The director of this ceremony has done some spectacular things with a much smaller budget.
Caveat: The budget is rumored to be $40 million, which is still the largest budget the Winter Olympics has seen. (No source, used to be on Wikipedia.)

I was watching the ceremony on an ugly web stream, so I stopped after the parade of nations and hopefully, there will be an HD file somewhere.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 13:06   Link #46
Lio
Presence

I laughed when Gretzky and the others were standing in the stadium, waiting for the cauldron to come up while staring into space.
And when it started coming up, one of the poles didn't work, so they covered the hole it was supposed to ascend from, and some of them didn't get to light it.

The result?

Botched Olympic moment and an amused audience. I was watching it on TV and apparently, I'm not the only one who laughed.
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 18:07   Link #47
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quick question, is there a live stream online somewhere to watch this all without it being region blocked?
(Wants to see ice skating comps)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 18:44   Link #48
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
I do feel that the world will look back at Vancouver olympic opening and think of Kumaritashvili and Georgia, since that image is so defining and powerful; just as how that Turin's impression was cemented by Pavaroti and Beijing with that flood of endless performers.

As for the world's impression of Canada, I think the performance aired is completely overshadowed by what people witnessed on the streets of Vancouver Eastside, Stadium, Waterfront and at Whistler. They see protesters, green grass, counter-protesters, flash mobs braving the rain, a mini-Hong Kong, endless rain, reverence to the deceased, thirst to win in Hockey, in a modern metropolis that is nothing like the canonical Canada... which cannot come through in any kind of staged performance.

Maybe, it will have the audience wonder about this very mixed feelings that they get... and perhaps that is the true summation of Canada... and forcing everyone that's witnessed all of this to become Canadian, for just a little while.
You got all that and here my parents are saying they think that the whole world will think we're just a bunch of Native Americans and Eskimos.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 18:46   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@Mystique: Haven't found one yet... for the last decade or more, the broadcast coverage in the US has sucked so a country that actually broadcasts, say, the biathlon or curling would be appreciated.

@Kaioshin: nah... tell your parents that didn't happen...much.
Opening ceremonies are all about cultural motifs and stereotypes anyway. At least we didn't get a "Strange Brew", Red Green, Wayne's World segment, eh?
Old 2010-02-13, 19:11   Link #50
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Any Canadian streams available? I vaguely recall being able to watch on CBC or some website or other during the last games.

EDIT: Well, I found CBC's video collection, but it's not much. http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/videos/

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 19:18   Link #51
Lio
Presence

Haha, I would have loved to see Red Green make an appearance. He's a true Canadian.

I loved the whale part as well. I was watching that part in utter fascination.

Though the opening ceremony does kind of overshadow the true face of Canada (we sort of took the land away from the First Nations people and decided to be "nice" to them by pushing them onto shitty reserves ). I'm glad we didn't pull off some nationalist performance like China did, which is something only Communists would do.
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 19:36   Link #52
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio View Post
Haha, I would have loved to see Red Green make an appearance. He's a true Canadian.
HELL YES.

God, I haven't seen an episode of that in probably 8 years.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 19:45   Link #53
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Any Canadian streams available? I vaguely recall being able to watch on CBC or some website or other during the last games.

EDIT: Well, I found CBC's video collection, but it's not much. http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/videos/
CTV outbid the CBC to cover the Olympics this time:
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.html

Unforunately for those outside Canada, I'm 99.9% certain it's region locked due to how the IOC handles broadcast contracts.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 19:58   Link #54
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
@Mystique: Haven't found one yet... for the last decade or more, the broadcast coverage in the US has sucked so a country that actually broadcasts, say, the biathlon or curling would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post

Unforunately for those outside Canada, I'm 99.9% certain it's region locked due to how the IOC handles broadcast contracts.
Doesn't quite hold the sentiment of this competition being global, eh.
Ah well, thanks for the heads up guys.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 21:34   Link #55
JagdPanther

Biathlon == yes
Curling == no

Old 2010-02-13, 21:38   Link #56
Haladflire65
*Artist

I'm currently watching women's hockey, and Canada's winning 13 - 0 against Slovakia and it's only the second period... this is getting ridiculous...
Old 2010-02-13, 22:21   Link #57
james0246

Quote:
Opening ceremonies are all about cultural motifs and stereotypes anyway. At least we didn't get a "Strange Brew", Red Green, Wayne's World segment, eh?
I was actually hoping for a "Great White North" segment...but I guess fiddling and tap dancing will do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Biathlon == yes
Curling == no

Blasphemy. Curling is the true sport of the gods, much better than those weird people that go sking with guns .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
I'm currently watching women's hockey, and Canada's winning 13 - 0 against Slovakia and it's only the second period... this is getting ridiculous...
Final score: 18 - nothing. Damn, that was a slaughter...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 22:30   Link #58
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Thanks. Their player lags a little for me but oh well.

Currently watching speed skating. For some reason, it's my favourite event to watch.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 22:43   Link #59
JagdPanther

Wow. Thanks, Korea. The US greatly appreciates your skater making an awful move and taking out your 2nd AND 3rd place racers with less than a QUARTER of a SINGLE LAP to go in the Men's 1500m Short Track Final.

So, no gold for Apollo Anton Ohno, but he does become the most decorated short-track speed skater in Olympic history with his Silver medal, and 19-yr old J.R. Celski takes his first Olympic medal with the Bronze.

Old 2010-02-13, 22:44   Link #60
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I gotta lol at the American coverage of the games what again and how much they just zero in on their own atheletes and ignore the rest of the world. I was just watching the speed skating race with Ohno and it came close with 3 Koreans in 1st 2nd and 3rd before the guy in third tripped up the 2nd place guy and they both ended up in a wall. This let Ohno slip into second but Lee-Ho Suk of Korea who dominated the race got a clear 1st place finish with a substantial lead while Ohno and another American finished second.

What do they do....just completely and utterly ignored Suk who actually won the race without a single mistake and zero right in on the guy who finished second. I mean it's good that Ohno won his 6th medal but they just COMPLETELY ignored the top skater. Lol NBC.....gotta have your stories eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
That's kind of what happens. The only team that's really a match for the Canadian women's hockey team are the Americans and even then they are still heavily favoured. Every other match is basically a blowout.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics