AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-02-13, 22:52   Link #61
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I gotta lol at the American coverage of the games what again and how much they just zero in on their own atheletes and ignore the rest of the world. I was just watching the speed skating race with Ohno and it came close with 3 Koreans in 1st 2nd and 3rd before the guy in third tripped up the 2nd place guy and they both ended up in a wall. This let Ohno slip into second but Lee-Ho Suk of Korea who dominated the race got a clear 1st place finish with a substantial lead while Ohno and another American finished second.

What do they do....just completely and utterly ignored Suk who actually won the race without a single mistake and zero right in on the guy who finished second. I mean it's good that Ohno won his 6th medal but they just COMPLETELY ignored the top skater. Lol NBC.....gotta have your stories eh?
Well, it IS an American station...

I wouldn't say that Suk dominated the race. He obviously skated very well or he wouldn't have won, but Ohno got boxed out by a wall of Koreans. He was skating very well, too, up until the Koreans moved by together.

The crash makes NBC's commentary on "team skating" right before the race very ironic.

Oh well, as an American I'll gladly take medals that way. It wasn't the fault of an American. The 3rd place racer just made an absolutely awful move that late. Ohno was headed to gold before being taken down in Salt Lake City, so he's no stranger to crashes very late in a race.
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 23:04   Link #62
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
I gotta lol at the American coverage of the games what again and how much they just zero in on their own atheletes and ignore the rest of the world.
I'm assuming you haven't seen the way the olympics are covered by some of the other foreign nations. Zeroing in on their own athletes is not unique to America. If anything, America does it less.
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 23:08   Link #63
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Well, it IS an American station...

I wouldn't say that Suk dominated the race. He obviously skated very well or he wouldn't have won, but Ohno got boxed out by a wall of Koreans. He was skating very well, too, up until the Koreans moved by together.

The crash makes NBC's commentary on "team skating" right before the race very ironic.

Oh well, as an American I'll gladly take medals that way. It wasn't the fault of an American. The 3rd place racer just made an absolutely awful move that late. Ohno was headed to gold before being taken down in Salt Lake City, so he's no stranger to crashes very late in a race.
The coverage on CTV while focusing primarily on and celebrating Canadian competitors hasn't completely ignored the rest of the competition to such a degree as I find NBC has. In fact this morning I saw an entire segment on the excellent gold medal jump of Ski Jumper Simon Ammann. I've seen it said many times that Canadian Olympic coverage favours winners and achievers, while American coverage favours American winners and achievers and it certainly holds true for the first day based on what I saw while bouncing back and forth between CTV and NBC.

And yes America still gets their medal story and I'm sure their will be some extremely emotional coverage of it on NBC once I get back downstairs in a moment. If there's any aspect of Olympic coverage I don't like it's the sob story. I'd rather just watch the events and the reactions on the competitors face followed by the interview without being sermonized, seeing as how that already says enough about the emotion running through the event. No zeroing in on the family in the audience constantly, no long winded backstory with some triumph over tragedy added in like it's needed to give the competition meaning, just celebration, medals awarded, interview, next event. That would be my ideal coverage.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 23:09   Link #64
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Well, the NBC commentator even emphasized how bad it would be (for the other competitors) if the 3 Koreans took the lead, but it seems their overeagerness resulted in a very stupid move that cost them a full sweep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I'm assuming you haven't seen the way the olympics are covered by some of the other foreign nations. Zeroing in on their own athletes is not unique to America. If anything, America does it less.
NBC's main failing is the fact that they use commercials to cut out "lesser" countries contestants, and they only broadcast "popular" (in America) sports.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 23:10   Link #65
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
Any nation which is hosting is obviously gonna try and place emphasis on their own athletes. why else would they pay billions and go to the trouble of hosting it? just look at china as an example. but that one might be too obvious, some of the things they did..
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 23:12   Link #66
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The coverage on CTV while focusing primarily on and celebrating Canadian competitors hasn't completely ignored the rest of the competition to such a degree as I find NBC has. In fact this morning I saw an entire segment on the excellent gold medal jump of Ski Jumper Simon Ammann. I've seen it said many times that Canadian Olympic coverage favours winners and achievers, while American coverage favours American winners and achievers and it certainly holds true for the first day based on what I saw while bouncing back and forth between CTV and NBC.

And yes America still gets their medal story and I'm sure their will be some extremely emotional coverage of it on NBC once I get back downstairs in a moment.
Ummm, NBC ran a segment on him, too. Watched it earlier today.
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 23:17   Link #67
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I gotta lol at the American coverage of the games what again and how much they just zero in on their own atheletes and ignore the rest of the world. I was just watching the speed skating race with Ohno and it came close with 3 Koreans in 1st 2nd and 3rd before the guy in third tripped up the 2nd place guy and they both ended up in a wall. This let Ohno slip into second but Lee-Ho Suk of Korea who dominated the race got a clear 1st place finish with a substantial lead while Ohno and another American finished second.

What do they do....just completely and utterly ignored Suk who actually won the race without a single mistake and zero right in on the guy who finished second. I mean it's good that Ohno won his 6th medal but they just COMPLETELY ignored the top skater. Lol NBC.....gotta have your stories eh?



That's kind of what happens. The only team that's really a match for the Canadian women's hockey team are the Americans and even then they are still heavily favoured. Every other match is basically a blowout.
I remember the exact same thing in 2006. The American commentator was only focusing on Ohno despite he was racing for the third place. While I was watching that it was pretty hilarious and to be honest down right pathetic from the commentator.

Couldn't watch the race because of work, but men sucks that we couldn't sweep the medals and suck that Ohno actually got a silver, lucky bastard.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 23:27   Link #68
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
First Gold for the US! w00t!

Someone who didn't even qual in Torino for the final blitzes the course and takes the Gold. Congrats to Hannah Kearney!

The top 3 clearly had the best runs. All three medalists just destroyed the field in terms of time. Fourth place was nearly a full second behind Jenn Heil.
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 23:39   Link #69
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
And yet Canada does nothing but disappoint as always even when they are favoured for something. Typical...
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 23:45   Link #70
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
And yet Canada does nothing but disappoint as always even when they are favoured for something. Typical...
Okay, so Heil was the event favorite, but she came in 2nd. Nothing of which to be ashamed... unless expectations were seriously that high from Canadians.

But Canada will get a gold this game. There's no way that a team that normally is very good in the winter games can be shut-out of the gold much longer. If they do finish the games without a gold, I'll be shocked and wonder if Canadians have some inherent anxiety disorder with regards to performing at home. *shrug*
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 23:50   Link #71
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
But Canada will get a gold this game. There's no way that a team that normally is very good in the winter games can be shut-out of the gold much longer. If they do finish the games without a gold, I'll be shocked and wonder if Canadians have some inherent anxiety disorder with regards to performing at home. *shrug*
You'd be surprised. There's a certain "choke factor" that I've observed in Canadian competitors in general. So much so that I've actually banked on it in a bet with my dad that they will fall short in the Men's Hockey if and when they come up against the Russian team.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 00:31   Link #72
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
suck that Ohno actually got a silver, lucky bastard.
Lovely sportsmanship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther
Okay, so Heil was the event favorite, but she came in 2nd. Nothing of which to be ashamed... unless expectations were seriously that high from Canadians.
Canadians in general are pretty laid back about Olympics expectations, I think. It would be nice to have some Canadian winners, but I can accept that as a country we're always going to be minor participants, just because of the nature of the country.
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 00:33   Link #73
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: A town that has been showered by snow...
Age: 29
Well, you can turn to 4chan's /sp/ if you really want a case of trolling about that.

I feel bad for Heil though. She and alot of people expects nothing but gold from her. It's a concern when silver's not enough for even those watching on the sideline.
__________________

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori


panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 01:14   Link #74
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Lovely sportsmanship.
I am not going to lie to myself by saying something like "congratulation Ohno", I just don't like the guy. I am sure all of you have a team that you hate or a player that you dislike, and I am pretty damn sure if they won you would be bit annoyed and possibly angry (me in this case was bit annoyance).

Also to the person who gave me neg-rep, did I say Korean commentator don't? Only thing I said that American commentator was pathetic and hilarious. I have never said Korean commentator was unbiased and perfect, to be honest Korean commentator are super nationalistic and because of that they are very amusing to watch.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 01:15   Link #75
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Asking Vancouverites about this little fusion food: Japa-dogs (a vendor stand on Robson St. about to open their first restaurant (now with okonomiyaki!)

http://www.japadog.com/en/
http://www.ededition.com/japadog-japanese-hot-dogs/

Anyone tried this? Apparently, its a major hit with locals and with Japanese tourists.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 01:41   Link #76
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home of the 2010 Olympics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Asking Vancouverites about this little fusion food: Japa-dogs (a vendor stand on Robson St. about to open their first restaurant (now with okonomiyaki!)

http://www.japadog.com/en/
http://www.ededition.com/japadog-japanese-hot-dogs/

Anyone tried this? Apparently, its a major hit with locals and with Japanese tourists.
Holy crap; I should try that sometime in the near future...(probably after the Olympics when I can actually get downtown again...)

As a reply to someone up there asking about the gold expectations, I'd have to say there is a lot of pressure going around here in Canada for a gold in men's hockey (to state the most obvious example). Myself included! I won't be satisfied unless we at least get a silver.

I must admit I felt a bit disappointed with the silver medal from Canada today (was expecting a gold), but good job anyway, Jenn Heil!
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 01:44   Link #77
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Just saw the short race skating .... gratz to Korean Jung-Su (and his expression of "hahahaha I didn't fall down!" ) and damn, Ohno was lucky that the Korean team did themselves in trying to block him out.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 01:50   Link #78
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Well, you can turn to 4chan's /sp/ if you really want a case of trolling about that.

I feel bad for Heil though. She and alot of people expects nothing but gold from her. It's a concern when silver's not enough for even those watching on the sideline.
Why even read anything 4chan? It's not like it's going to be anything other then mindnumbing trolling and stupid picture memes.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 02:07   Link #79
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: A town that has been showered by snow...
Age: 29
Japa-dog is well forth the money. Gorge yourself in it.
__________________

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori


panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 02:15   Link #80
qwertyuiopz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Asking Vancouverites about this little fusion food: Japa-dogs (a vendor stand on Robson St. about to open their first restaurant (now with okonomiyaki!)

http://www.japadog.com/en/
http://www.ededition.com/japadog-japanese-hot-dogs/

Anyone tried this? Apparently, its a major hit with locals and with Japanese tourists.
random...but i wanna taste!
is it only in vancouver? D: there has to be some at toronto
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
olympics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.