AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-14, 02:19   Link #81
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Asking Vancouverites about this little fusion food: Japa-dogs (a vendor stand on Robson St. about to open their first restaurant (now with okonomiyaki!)

http://www.japadog.com/en/
http://www.ededition.com/japadog-japanese-hot-dogs/

Anyone tried this? Apparently, its a major hit with locals and with Japanese tourists.
Probably too casual to be a Valentine's Day dinner even by my standards - and yet... wasabi mayonnaise. I want to give it a try.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 07:57   Link #82
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Re: live streaming, those in Europe (and a few other countries) can see everything for free at http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/.

Unfortunately not much help for Vexx and Mystique, I guess...

Edit: Although, for Japan there seem to be http://www.gorin.jp/ and http://www.nhk.or.jp/olympic

Edit2: and for Vexx, http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/live-full-replays.html. Biathlon (my favorite spectator winter sport) only seems to get full replays, but curling has live streaming as well. Seems like you need to register and "verify you subscribe to a cable, satellite or IPTV provider in partnership with NBC", though; and install the latest Silverlight. HTH.

Last edited by yononaka; 2010-02-14 at 08:38.
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 12:05   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
verify you subscribe to a cable, satellite or IPTV provider in partnership with NBC", though; and install the latest Silverlight.
Eyah... that *would* be the problem(s). Homey don't do those things - something about paying to be pelted with ads and crappy choices in viewing 24/7.

Meh, we usually end up at a sports bar for certain events just like we do during World Cup (when US broadcasting also does a shitty job of coverage because they can't figure out how to insert ads into soccer .... as if the rest of the world hadn't worked that out).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 14:31   Link #84
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
WHISTLER, British Columbia — Olympic officials treated the death of Nodar Kumaritashvili, the Georgian luge athlete, less as a tragedy than as an inconvenience.
The sport’s international governing body released a callous statement late Friday night, about 10 hours after Kumaritashvili died, publicly blaming the 21-year-old for his own death. Athletes were attaining speeds at the Whistler Sliding Center far exceeding what the track was designed for, but the track was not the problem. It was a user error, the statement implied.
Canadian reporters said Saturday morning that they had been told privately during the week of concerns for the safety of four sliders — Kumaritashvili included. So many people knew of possible danger. So little was done to prevent it.
Canada’s decision to give minimal access to the Olympic track to athletes from other nations now seems to have been an unfortunate nationalistic impulse. This was done to give Canadians a home-field advantage in a program called Own the Podium. In the end, safety took a back seat to patriotism.
“I’m all for giving the advantage of the home track to the home country,” said Shiva Kannan Palan Keshavan, a 12-year veteran from India. “At the same time, everybody should get enough runs to be comfortable. Safety cannot be compromised.”

do you all feel warm and fuzzy inside with such a wonderful showing of olympic spirit
Old 2010-02-14, 15:03   Link #85
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
do you all feel warm and fuzzy inside with such a wonderful showing of olympic spirit
Well this article sounds extremely biased so not really. I'm seriously getting the Bill O'Reilly vibe from it. Also considering that there have been 5,000 runs on the track previously and no fatal accidents and that plenty of opportunities were awarded to foreign teams afterward (This WAS a practice run that the fatal accident occured on so I'm not entirely sure how even more access would have made a difference) to practice and get used to the track it seems that some people aren't thinking this whole witch hunt through.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 17:15   Link #86
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Wow. And the US' drought in Nordic Combined has ended.

Johnny Spillane has just given the US its first ever Nordic Combined medal with his Silver Medal performance.

Too bad he couldn't hang on for Gold. I think if he hadn't been looking around so much in the last 200 yards he might've pulled it off, but the French guy held off until the last possible moment and made a brilliant dash for the Gold.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 17:34   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm happier today... they're actually showing the biathlon! (a number of Olympics went by with NBC deeming it 'politically incorrect').

I was always a bit disappointed when they changed from military rifles to the little abstractified .22LR things they use now. No recoil at all.

Quote:
Early biathlons used high-powered military rifles. In 1978, the .22 caliber rifle became the international standard. Today's biathlon rifle uses non-optic sights and straight-pull-bolt action (no full or semi-automatics). The rifles have a specially made lightweight stock, though by international rule they must weigh a minimum of 7.7 pounds.
Competitors carry their rifles in a harness that is essentially a backpack made just to hold one rifle. A cover goes over the rifle whenever it is off the range, and a flip-up cap covers the muzzle to prevent snow and moisture from entering the barrel of the rifle.
Ammunition must be the international standard .22 caliber long-rifle shot made from lead or a lead alloy. It is loaded into a magazine that holds five rounds. For the relay, three extra rounds are stored in the bottom of the magazine. Competitors place them into a cup at the range, and only use them if they need them. The magazines are stored in the rifle stock while skiing, and the rifle is only loaded at the range.
When it is time to fire, biathletes hook an arm sling made of webbing to a firing cuff on their upper arm. This connects to the rifle, and provides stability.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-02-14 at 17:49.
Old 2010-02-14, 21:30   Link #88
Haladflire65
*Artist

CANADA BROKE ITS CURSE!!!
Alex Bilodeau won gold in Mens Moguls! Wohooo! Great job man.
Old 2010-02-14, 21:33   Link #89
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Drought no more! Congratulations to Alexandre Bilodeau in being the first canadian to win gold on home soil (winning gold in Men's Moguls) I was on the edge of my seat for that, the other medallists both had such strong runs it was nerve racking
Karlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 22:08   Link #90
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Hearty congrats to Alexandre Bilodeau. The first Canadian to win gold on our soil. You have made us proud

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 23:13   Link #91
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Now the pressure is off... might see more Canadian medals
Old 2010-02-15, 00:23   Link #92
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Talking

What can I say? Alexandre Bilodeau, story of the hour here in Canada. As disappointing as yesterday was this one has been glorious. I think I need a celebratory beer.
Old 2010-02-15, 00:42   Link #93
qwertyuiopz

YAAAY gold for canada! though US is totally wrecking everyone
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 00:49   Link #94
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
YAAAY gold for canada! though US is totally wrecking everyone
I wouldn't say that's the case at all. They've gotten really lucky on a number of runs (That short track run was all a Korean mistake, not an American triumph) and secured some medals that they might not have gotten otherwise. They're doing quite well, but wrecking everyone? They're 2 medals up from Germany because of the Korean mistake and France is the country with Gold Medals. That's hardly wrecking everyone.
Old 2010-02-15, 00:56   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The US is showing better than I expected in some sports (e.g. biathlon) but it is hardly swamping ... too early to say that.
-. -- --- G S B T
1. USA 1 2 3 6
2. DEU 1 3 0 4
3. FRA 2 0 1 3

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-02-15 at 01:00. Reason: argh, silly formating
Old 2010-02-15, 01:06   Link #96
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Canada's first gold on home soil is FINALLY here! =) After Richards crashed yesterday, I thought we would have to wait for a while before the gold would come.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 01:24   Link #97
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The US is showing better than I expected in some sports (e.g. biathlon) but it is hardly swamping ... too early to say that.
-. -- --- G S B T
1. USA 1 2 3 6
2. DEU 1 3 0 4
3. FRA 2 0 1 3
Thank the South Koreans for letting the US get silver and bronze in the short track speed skating after two members of their team crashed near the end. If they didn't wipe each other out, South Korea had a shot of sweeping the podium for that event.

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 01:33   Link #98
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I feel bad for South Korea on that, although this kind of thing happens...

On the other hand, I love how that Canada's issue with no gold on home soil is over with. Now we can go with a healthier attitude about competition than merely trying to defeat a curse.

(I left Vancouver, going on vacation right now... at least I will make it back for the women's and men's hockey final)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 01:38   Link #99
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.

The best thing about Alex's win is how great a guy he is - and how he's been so keen to highlight those around him (like his brother and sister).

Class act.
Old 2010-02-15, 02:41   Link #100
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
The best thing about Alex's win is how great a guy he is - and how he's been so keen to highlight those around him (like his brother and sister).

Class act.
The more I read about Begg-Smith too the more I'm glad he got beaten by such a classy guy like Bilodeau. Seriously this guy sounds like the epitomy of the "heel" archtype, what with the whole leaving Canada, snubbing interviews, using a spam/malware ring to fund his skiing regimen and just being completely dour in general. Did you see his face during the medal ceremony? That says it all.

And now apparently an Australian official is claiming that the judges awarded inflated scores to Bilodeau as some sort of slight to them. Man Australia always seems so....I don't know...pissed off to me.

Edit: Hahaha...even the Australian papers seem to be telling Begg-Smith to smarten up and not be such a sorry excuse for a sportsman. This has really just added another great twist to the first Canadian Gold story. "Nice guy darkhorse beats hated favoured turncoat jackass". It could be a headline, believe it!

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-02-15 at 02:51.

Tags
olympics