AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 26 18.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 25.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 17.99%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 8.63%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 5.04%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 6.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.44%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 4.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-30, 16:32   Link #281
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
i hate to say it, but at the end of hte ep ranka looked older than 16, and dont stone me sheryl people....slightly attractive.

Ive said it and ill say it again, they shouldve drawn her like the lion op, and it woudve been good
Old 2008-08-30, 16:35   Link #282
hai_san

And i like her picture at the end of the ED
Old 2008-08-30, 16:37   Link #283
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCL View Post
i hate to say it, but at the end of hte ep ranka looked older than 16, and dont stone me sheryl people....slightly attractive.

Ive said it and ill say it again, they shouldve drawn her like the lion op, and it woudve been good
Sadly it's been shown that Sheryl doesn't always have the perfect appearance... Nobody knows why but she has looked TERRIBLE at some points in time.

However, we all stick by her because her hair is freaking wonderful (or at least I think so) and she's a sexy woman. Plus she's great personality-wise too, but Alto gets dibs on her so that's out of our hands.
Old 2008-08-30, 17:43   Link #284
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal Send a message via Skype™ to abynormal
I gave this one an 8 out of 10. Lots of plot development, and Ranka gave me a reason to like her again, but it failed to WOW me like the last one. Also, Alto has been drifting out of the spotlight lately. All he's been able to do is react to what's going on around him and get his butt kicked by Brera, and time's running out for him to take charge of what's happening to him. Still, a very good episode.
Old 2008-08-30, 17:59   Link #285
Wesley84

Course there's always the chance that the Vajra won't be all that accepting towards Ranka. Stick in the eye though it would be.
Old 2008-08-30, 18:26   Link #286
lousylaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Course there's always the chance that the Vajra won't be all that accepting towards Ranka. Stick in the eye though it would be.
Well atleast Ai-kun is on her side. He'll talk to the Vajra council for her if needed
Old 2008-08-30, 18:37   Link #287
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

sob, w/o michel, the "princess" joke doesnt work anymore, so sad
Old 2008-08-30, 18:56   Link #288
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
sob, w/o michel, the "princess" joke doesnt work anymore, so sad
It's like it's the end of an era or something. When Mikhail teased him, it was because they were friends. When Sheryl does it, it's because he's her punching bag whenever she needs an outlet. Alto has become slightly less human and he didn't have much to spare...
Old 2008-08-30, 20:13   Link #289
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Somewhat disappointing episode, IMO. The Vajra were dealt with a bit too quickly and Ranka is becoming ever more boring with each passing episode. And terribly inconsistent, too. Not long ago she fainted upon learning her "brother" was still a pilot, now she learns that he is missing and most likely dead, yet she doesn't seem to care that much as apparently making paper aeroplanes with Alto in the middle of the night is a way bigger issue for her.

Best thing in the episode was Luca becoming so much more determined and ruthless, Alto could really learn a thing or two from that little guy. I mean, Frontier is getting blown to pieces, his friends are dead, missing or in danger and he is still indignant at Luca's suggestion to use Ranka's singing as a bait? Stupid, especially considering Alto himself urged her to do just that in the previous episode.

Klan's red eyes were cool but there was overall too little of her.

And yes, I am beginning to suspect a "The Vajra are nice creatures after all, let's all be friends" ending, which will most likely blow so much it will put the ending of Mai HiME to shame.

Old 2008-08-30, 20:22   Link #290
MaiHikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Somewhat disappointing episode, IMO. The Vajra were dealt with a bit too quickly and Ranka is becoming ever more boring with each passing episode. And terribly inconsistent, too. Not long ago she fainted upon learning her "brother" was still a pilot, now she learns that he is missing and most likely dead, yet she doesn't seem to care that much as apparently making paper aeroplanes with Alto in the middle of the night is a way bigger issue for her.
I agree. Ranka's character has been consistently inconsistent and I don't know if it's intentional. Her design ranges from 10 - 20 years old. She's very caring of others in the beginning and now she takes the death, injuries, and disappearance of her loved ones with a grain of salt. Her priorities have shifted, I suppose.
Old 2008-08-30, 20:31   Link #291
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

I don't know if they meant for her to not mourn (or show her mourn) the passing of Michael and the disappearance of Ozma. But as much as I want to remain neutral on the Ranka character, I am finding it difficult to understand why the directors are painting Ranka in the light that they are. I mean I know things are happening in between scenes that we are watching but they make little to no reference to them.

Is it possible that Ranka mourned Michael? Yes. Did they show it? Nope.
Is it possible that Ranka is worried about Ozma? Yes. Do they show it? Nope.
Is it possible that Alto went and saw Sheryl between scenes? Yes. Do they show it? Nope.

So I don't know what's up but their editing of scenes give different impressions that are hard to figure out if they are real or not. Drama.
Old 2008-08-30, 20:40   Link #292
Deryns

I really don't know how to vote this episode. I justed rewatched it subbed and it was like all over the place. However several things just bugged, lack of reaction to Michel's death being the biggest. For being such a important moment it was pretty well glossed over.
Old 2008-08-30, 20:44   Link #293
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Is it possible that Alto went and saw Sheryl between scenes? Yes. Do they show it? Nope.
for that one i think we should see the next episode first
Old 2008-08-30, 20:52   Link #294
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryns View Post
I really don't know how to vote this episode. I justed rewatched it subbed and it was like all over the place. However several things just bugged, lack of reaction to Michel's death being the biggest. For being such a important moment it was pretty well glossed over.
They really didn't do much I agree. Only Klan really mourns for him. Alto a little bit. Luca a tiny bit but not really as he is more emotional about Nanase. They didn't even have a funeral scene for him for pete sakes. Is it because they are still cleaning up? They had a funeral scene for the rest of the dead people. How come no special SMS funeral scene like they had in Episode 1? I think Michael was robbed.... or he's still magically alive and this is their way of making the audience not really think about Michael too much so he comes back. *shrug*
Old 2008-08-30, 21:07   Link #295
Wesley84

Mikhail got as much as he deserved. Only person who really cared about him was Klan afterall, and only because she knew him before he was a douchebag playboy.

Saying Ranka isn't worried about Ozma because she's not looking for him is like saying she didn't feel bad about what happened with her manager because she "didn't fight for him out of princple". He's either alive or he's dead. Hell, there's probably hundreds of people "missing" at that point and time, and I'm sure if there wasn't something more important she had to do, she'd be looking for him.

It's like people haven't noticed her growing up at all as the series has progressed. After this episode, if you aren't convinced that she has left her childhood behind her by putting a stake through the heart of her childhood-crush, you're hopelessly and irredeemably at odds with her character.
Old 2008-08-30, 22:13   Link #296
grss1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
yes, alto reacted in a very human way, unlike many heroes in anime that immediately forgive their enemy and even save them and become friends [roll eyes]
Is'nt that the formula for most shounen anime?

Anyway, I can accept the way Alto reacted to seeing Ai-Kun in this episode. I mean his friend gets killed by one of Ai-Kun's buddies and Frontier gets wreaked by Ai-Kun's buddies, and he's expected to kiss and make up with the Vajra?
Old 2008-08-30, 22:16   Link #297
ApostleOfGod
^.^

I gave this episode 10/10 for ending, and some possible between the lines insight on Ranka and her character.

Yes, it's true that they never bothered to show her serious worries about Ozma or other deceased, but remember. At the end, she did mention that she's been regaining pieces of her memories. Now, she decides to stop singing for good, which was her lifelong dream and accomplishment, and decides to head off with Brera, not the guy who she loves (Alto), to meet Vajra, the ones who've been consistently inflicting nothing but destruction among humanity. Frontier's suffered so much from them, but despite all the suffering, she wants to go with Ai-kun. Of course, we all know that Ranka doesn't like Ai-kun more, but it gives her an excuse to leave. If you think about it, at this stage of the game, running into Vajra territory is still no less than suicide. You have to really ask, "Why the heck is she doing this?"

Killing off Mikhail last episode didn't really bother me. He did his job as supporting Alto. Too little Sheryl this episode, but it was proper, because she's not even as important as her mysterious earring yet. Until she is discovered to be so, (such as getting Alto involved into another troublesome issue with her or something), I'm not really expecting her to randomly jump into the Vajra fight. I'm also surprised at the reaction, or lack thereof, from everyone regarding the MDI. I thought people would really question about it.. Also, Grace has the power to pretty much control Brera. Since Brera took Ranka away, does that mean it was Grace-approved? And if so, for what benefits would Little Queen be still useful for, for her and whoever she talks to through thought communication or whatever?

It seems like the Vajra are no longer the real threat / opposition in the anime. I mean this was known before, but who knows, the Vajra may be key in winning the game that Leon and Grace are playing behind the scenes.

All in all, episode 21 felt a bit rushed, but it was good nevertheless. Also, I liked the music roll into the new ED, which I also enjoyed.

10/10.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Old 2008-08-30, 22:19   Link #298
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
It seems like the Vajra are no longer the real threat / opposition in the anime. I mean this was known before, but who knows, the Vajra may be key in winning the game that Leon and Grace are playing behind the scenes.
Is Leon looking to be some sort of war hero? I mean he's pretty gung ho about fighting this and that and seems to be using the Vajra for that purpose. Especially when he takes Battle Frontier into battle ("Now it's my turn")

Quote:
I agree. Ranka's character has been consistently inconsistent and I don't know if it's intentional. Her design ranges from 10 - 20 years old. She's very caring of others in the beginning and now she takes the death, injuries, and disappearance of her loved ones with a grain of salt. Her priorities have shifted, I suppose.
She's suppose to be 16 right?

I mean there are times when I think that she's just like, 9 for crying out loud.
Old 2008-08-30, 22:21   Link #299
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
"Why the heck is she doing this?"
first, lower ur level of intelligence to ranka's level, then u'll not wonder whether she was doing it for frontier or not
Old 2008-08-30, 22:22   Link #300
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

A good question to ask would be, "What is Grace's true motivation for what she is doing?". I don't believe anyone can answer that question at this time with anything more than speculation. Obviously it has something to do with the Vajra but what about them? Does she want to study them as a species? Does she want to find a way to control them? Does she just want them all destroyed because of some other reason? She has yet to reveal the reasons she and the Galaxy AIs are doing what they are doing. Obviously we know Grace is simply using Leon as a pawn and nothing more. She could care less if he dies or not. She needed him to sign off on the research and to get the facilities she needed for further study.

There is so much story and mystery about Grace right now that I find it difficult to see how they can wrap up anything with four episodes. Hence I'm confident there needs to be a Season 2. I would be severely disappointed if there wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Is Leon looking to be some sort of war hero? I mean he's pretty gung ho about fighting this and that and seems to be using the Vajra for that purpose. Especially when he takes Battle Frontier into battle ("Now it's my turn")
There is no reason for Leon to do what he is doing other than glory, fame and power. He is no different than any other power hungry monarch or leader. He wants the glory to make himself look better. He wants to be worshiped by the people. He wants to be a savior. He wants to be as close to an emperor as possible within the confine of their political structure. He fits the profile of many men in history just like him. And as a classic antagonist in this role he will most likely be rebelled against and overthrown and imprisoned or killed or he will die in his quest for glory.
Closed Thread