AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2008-10-16, 16:25   Link #41
tbl
Affably Evil

Spoiler for My thoughts on episode one:
What do you guys think?
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

tbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 18:36   Link #42
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
This is the only other fall show I've anticipated besides Nodame. According to the fansub wiki, the only sub groups to have signed on so far are AnimeYoshi and perhaps a joint between Anime Club Generation & AnimeCrazy.net. Like you I'm stumped why so many groups felt compelled to sub Abyss. You'd think a series involving Madhouse and CLAMP would attract more attention than this show has gotten so far. Having Kuwashima Houko in the cast is another big plus for me.
The number of subbers is never evident of the quality of the series. In fact it is usually the opposite. Usually the mundane/generic series end up having many fansubbers while the true gems get overlooked.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 19:29   Link #43
CocoWawa

Ep1 - Pretty cool I must say...

Well, I must say I really enjoyed this episode and I hope that it will keep going with the same quality. I actually watched it almost three times in a row today :P.

The only disappointing part for me was the dancing in the full moon scene. I too didnt like the blur effect and the jumping motion was a little bit strange. The voice acting seemed quite tuned down or monotonous also, considering the happy dancing they were doing, and there were no background noise, it was just strange. As someone mentioned, I too wonder how much of that part actually took place and if some just were Yoriko's delusions.

The character design reminds me of Claymore, especially the eyes. That Kanoko girl even has silver irises :3.

Quote:
Well that's a good guess,
Spoiler for Speculations of end ep1:

Anyhow, I think it can only get more interesting from here. Looks very promising. Looking forward for the next episode.
CocoWawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 05:39   Link #44
Fevvers
a regular van veen

It was a decent first episode, nothing I'd write home about. For a series that's going for the whole mysterious route though, the music is far too obstrusive, instead of atmospheric. It wasn't that bad, just not what I expected and hoped. We'll see how it prgresses though, hopefully for the better.

I still prefer Shimizu Aki's design over Clamp's. Oh, well...
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 07:48   Link #45
BranGor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina Ismail View Post
I didn't find it angsty or emo.. I just found it boring and I only watched it because from anidb it said it was about them finding out about the mass murder of school girls... and what I got from the first ep is um.... I don't know what to say...

Spoiler for well...:
I'm guessing you rather have a cast of characters that are flat and static, along with no personality or impact on the plot besides prolonging it?

Yea, Macross F is probably the series for you :S
BranGor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 07:58   Link #46
kamikazex

sigh.....corruption. good start though
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 08:16   Link #47
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
What do you guys think?
Pimples don't normally grow on the back of your neck. Maybe it was something else there that got mistakened for a pimple.
Old 2008-10-17, 10:19   Link #48
signorRossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Pimples don't normally grow on the back of your neck. Maybe it was something else there that got mistakened for a pimple.
They do, they do. Just eat some sausage with lot of plural phosphate for conservation in it and you will get them everywhere.
signorRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 11:29   Link #49
Brack
The Mayor Of Awesome

I felt this was a bit of a let down.

Shows like Mononoke, Requiem Of The Darkness & Hakaba Kitaro have raised the bar so high now, that the frankly pedestrian visuals this show has just isn't good enough anymore.

The two train scenes were passable, but the visuals throughout didn't create the sense of dread the story demanded.
Brack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 11:31   Link #50
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by signorRossi View Post
They do, they do. Just eat some sausage with lot of plural phosphate for conservation in it and you will get them everywhere.

That is not normal pimple (acne) development. To have a solitary pimple on the back of your neck and not have any on the face which is the most common site is well... ridiculous.

I still think it's prob not a pimple (acne) that we were shown.
Old 2008-10-17, 14:55   Link #51
Kaoru Chujo
Sakura Ayane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brack View Post
I felt this was a bit of a let down. Shows like Mononoke, Requiem Of The Darkness & Hakaba Kitaro have raised the bar so high now, that the frankly pedestrian visuals this show has just isn't good enough anymore. The two train scenes were passable, but the visuals throughout didn't create the sense of dread the story demanded.
Interesting opinion. Thanks for that thought. But perhaps we don't need dread quite so soon, or at all. Maybe you're expecting the show to be something it isn't. I find the characters more interesting than those in Mononoke, for example, where they seemed somewhat one-dimensional to me. And as lovely as that animation was, it created an otherworldly feel, whereas this show seems to work from the real world out. And I'm finding much more dread or weirdness in this show than in Ghost Hunt, for example.
SAKURA Ayane 佐倉綾音 age 20. Dream Eater Merry; Hotarubi no Mori e (movie) Hotaru; Joshiraku Buratei Marii; NakaImo Miyabi; Kokoro Connect Yui's sister; Vividred Operation Akane; Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki (movie) Ladylee; Aiura Mei; Love Lab "Eno"; il sole penetra le illusioni Fuyuna; Eccentric Family Kaisei; High School DxD New Gaspard; Kimi no Iru Machi Asuka; Non Non Biyori Natsumi; Tokyo Ravens Suzuka; Engaged to the Unidentified Nadeshiko; Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection: Prism Show Best Ten (movie) Ayami, Rinne; Selector Infected Wixoss Yuzuki; Dragonar Academy Silvia; Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Kokoa; Knights of Sidonia Mozuku.
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2014 previews | spring 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Nobunaga the Fool | Nisekoi | Wixoss | Isshuukan Friends | Brynhildr in the Darkness | Kanojo ga Flag wo Oretara | Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to | Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san | Soul Eater Not | No Game, No Life | Is the Order a Rabbit? | Nanana's Buried Treasure | Mekakucity Actors | Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 15:09   Link #52
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

okay.....splendid visuals and really creepy story.I am in.I still have no idea what this is about.An other massive mindfuck to had to my list.

What creeps me out the most are the smiles.They are just plain scary.And Yuriko's smile at the end suggest she knew what was going to happen...but what did happen?We have no idea.
Old 2008-10-17, 16:27   Link #53
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The CLAMP designs in this remind me a lot of the ones used in Suki. Good to see they'll still use one of their other styles now and then. Carnelian would have been a great choice for this series --- i couldn't stop thinking of the Touka Gettan OP during those night scenes.

Very lovely first episode. The creepy scenes were very creepy (especially the opening one), and i rather enjoyed the dialogue between the two girls. All prepared to finding out what the hell is going on.
Old 2008-10-18, 06:46   Link #54
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Finally saw the first episode of this. It's going on my must watch list. I loved every moment of it.
Old 2008-10-19, 04:05   Link #55
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~

^ Agreed, Can not wait to see the next episode and find out what happens next.
The war flashback on the train was kinda creepy, it came out of no-where I had to check and make sure I was still watching the same thing.
Old 2008-10-19, 05:02   Link #56
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

BTW, I don't know if you cares but the show takes place in 1952(year 27 of the showa era which begins in 1926).
The flashback didn't come out of nowhere, it tell us something important about the policeman.He was having a nightmare about the war, he's a veteran.
Old 2008-10-19, 05:03   Link #57
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

BTW, I don't know if you cares but the show takes place in 1952(year 27 of the showa era which begins in 1926).
The flashback didn't come out of nowhere, it tell us something important about the policeman.He was having a nightmare about the war, he's a veteran.
Old 2008-10-19, 05:54   Link #58
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

I was wondering about the year thing, but I had figured that he was having a trippy flashback (it appear guilt related). But it did come out of nowhere for me. I thought the splash of blood was someone getting hit...and then it kinda went weird from there....

What's really got me going wtf is the opening scene. Since I'm not too knowledgeable about Japanese myth/folklore...what's with the head in a box? Does it represent a bad omen or is it an actual creature? Or is it just there to mess with your head and probably never be mentioned again.
Old 2008-10-19, 06:19   Link #59
Doppel

Solace:

The opening scene with the head in a box is basically the title of the show, Mouryou no Hako means "The Evil Spirit in the Box", mouryou is a mythological monster/spirit/creature typically of an evil nature. It's what Yoriko's mom called her during the slowdown scene in the gap of the sliding doors.

I'm not sure if it represents a bad omen or if it has other implications, but hell I think an evil creature's head in a box is bad enough haha
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 06:23   Link #60
cyth
ふひひ

I decided to check out this show only because of the high praise being tossed around at ANN, so my expectations were relatively high considering I decided to skip it completely before it aired. I don't know, I guess I'm not convinced over the displayed morbidity, I didn't feel any dread whatsoever, the yuri was pretty weak as well. I find the overall response toward the series a bit pretentious, and I strongly feel that quality animation isn't a good excuse for missing fabric of a compelling story. I wasn't moved by the two teenagers having or pretending to have a deep bond between each other, and I emphasize that this relationship shouldn't by any means be glorified just because one of them jumped (or got pushed) in front of a train. Just two crazy chicks, nothing more, nothing less.

About Yoriko's mother, was she working for yakuza (possibly prostitution later on) or was she taunted by that guy to join a religious sect? <_<;

I will give the show a few more episodes only because its description was hinting that the first episode is a prologue to a bigger picture.

Tags
clamp, horror, madhouse, mystery, supernatural