AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-07-01, 03:46   Link #221
Lav
The Mad General

Send a message via ICQ to Lav
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It won an award. Does anyone know what the Kommersant newspaper award is?
Nothing important. Seems the nomination award was won by Mexican "Cumbia callera" live-action movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
hmm i cant find this title anywhere...

where did u guys watch this?
I watched First Squad during the Moscow film fest a couple of weeks ago. There's a chance it will be participating in Toronto film festival. Otherwise everyone will have to wait until FS hits the screens in October this year, with DVD release a couple of weeks later.
Old 2009-07-01, 04:08   Link #222
DangerMouse

Nice to hear it's finally finished and being screened. Glad it sounds like it's turned out really good like it looked from the art and other stuff a while back. I can't wait until it finally comes out in the US atleast on DVD or BD, eventually I hope.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 04:28   Link #223
npcomplete

Just curious, what was the native audio language for the animation production? Russian or Japanese?
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 04:44   Link #224
Lav
The Mad General

There are two voice casts, Japanese and Russian. I'm not sure that Russian soundtrack will be available in the western release though.
Old 2009-07-01, 09:31   Link #225
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I hope the Western DVDs come with the Russian voice cast. I always like to hear the original language. Also has to do with the fact that I can't listen to Japanese voice acting anymore. The whiny little girl voice a lot of female characters have drives me crazy. I normally just watch shows on mute now.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 14:20   Link #226
konart

Send a message via Skype™ to konart
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
I hope the Western DVDs come with the Russian voice cast. I always like to hear the original language. Also has to do with the fact that I can't listen to Japanese voice acting anymore. The whiny little girl voice a lot of female characters have drives me crazy. I normally just watch shows on mute now.
Even if they won't you'll be able download it through torrents, trust me)
konart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 12:47   Link #227
superzombie23

*puts this on looking forward to watch list* I just hope it's not a simple action flick, or I'll be sad.
superzombie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 14:13   Link #228
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Has any reason be stated on why there is a such a large time gap between the festival and the release date in October?

I want to show a friend this. He doesn't watch war movies, so the only WWII things I think I can get him to watch is anime. He had that Western stereotypical view of the Red Army(Mass waves, not good soldiers, blah, blah) and I want to show him something that refutes that. The German generals who wrote so many books in the 50s really ruined the image of the Soviets in the West with their stereotypical and racist views(Manstein's book comes to mind). Since the Western-Soviet relations deteriorated after WWII, the truth never really got to be told in the West until the fall of the Soviet Union.
Old 2009-07-07, 18:58   Link #229
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Quote:
and I want to show him something that refutes that.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure it can accurately refute anything.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 20:21   Link #230
strategos

Man, I've been waiting for this. Will get soon in the STATEs?

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 00:42   Link #231
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Hmm, I'll be waiting for this one. The trailers I've seen look quite delicious... ^^;

Quote:
Has any reason be stated on why there is a such a large time gap between the festival and the release date in October?

I want to show a friend this. He doesn't watch war movies, so the only WWII things I think I can get him to watch is anime. He had that Western stereotypical view of the Red Army(Mass waves, not good soldiers, blah, blah) and I want to show him something that refutes that. The German generals who wrote so many books in the 50s really ruined the image of the Soviets in the West with their stereotypical and racist views(Manstein's book comes to mind). Since the Western-Soviet relations deteriorated after WWII, the truth never really got to be told in the West until the fall of the Soviet Union.
Just tie him down and make him watch Enemy at the Gates. It may not be historically accurate but it sure is awesome.
Old 2009-07-08, 17:07   Link #232
4Tran

Quote:
Since Molot Entertainment presumably controls the worldwide distribution rights to First Squad, they might be aiming at a multi-region simultaneous release. I don't know how likely that is, but I can hope . In any case, I'd love to see a Russian-dub of this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not sure it can accurately refute anything.
Yeah, if someone refuses to accept any evidence to the contrary, it's very unlikely that an anime would be any more convincing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Just tie him down and make him watch Enemy at the Gates. It may not be historically accurate but it sure is awesome.
That wouldn't work at all since Enemy at the Gates perpetuates the myth that all the Soviets could do is use human wave tactics, and that they were far inferior to the Germans.
Old 2009-07-08, 18:23   Link #233
TigerII
Pilot in Training

The human wave techniques died out by late 1942. While the Soviet tactical command had a lot to learn ahead of them, by this point they were no longer the human waves seen on the the Karelia and the early days of Barbarossa.

It is not so much the refuse to accept the evidence, it is just he doesn't like to read or watch live action movies, western or not. His only view of the Soviets is what is taught in American schools is that the Soviets relied or numbers, not tactics. Since the Soviet view of things wasn't well known to the West until the dissolution of the USSR, he has never had any new info. What is in American school books is the German point of view, which is they were a far superior class of soldier(Which may be true from 41-42, but from 43 onwards, the German small unit training and tank training slipped). The Soviets focused on getting troops on the field so their training wasn't as extensive. 43 forward saw the Germans doing the same.
Old 2009-07-08, 20:48   Link #234
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But unless it's a hobby, a lot of American students won't care about WW2 Soviet fighting technique past any info needed to pass an exam. So why worry?
Old 2009-07-17, 15:48   Link #235
M.Marangio

The movie will be shown out of competition in the International Film Festival in Locarno, Switzerland (August 5 - August 15).

Lineup (it includes many anime titles): http://www.pardo.ch/jahia/Jahia/home/Program/lang/en
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-21, 22:51   Link #236
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

136 sec opening can be viewed here from the Locarno International Film Festival. (click on extra after using link to anime's festival site page).
Old 2009-08-25, 22:49   Link #237
LunaNeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav View Post
I watched First Squad during the Moscow film fest a couple of weeks ago. There's a chance it will be participating in Toronto film festival. Otherwise everyone will have to wait until FS hits the screens in October this year, with DVD release a couple of weeks later.

Что? So quick? Had no idea DVDs come out in Russia so fast...looks like we'll be able to get our hands on Russian DVD copy faster then probably Japanese, well I have no idea how they plan to distribute this thing, but damn, I've been waiting FOREVER for this to be released! Lav, did they show it in Russian? How was the voice acting? I saw they only listed male actors, I wonder who they picked to voice Nadya...
LunaNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 01:10   Link #238
Lav
The Mad General

They showed it on the big screen, and no, there are no DVD's for sale yet. Russian release is the same as international, on October 15th.

They showed it in Russian with English subs. Voice acting is good, some people complained but that's always unavoidable. No idea about Japanese voice cast. :-)

Nadya was voiced by Elena Chebaturkina.
Old 2009-08-26, 02:53   Link #239
konart

Send a message via Skype™ to konart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav View Post
They showed it on the big screen, and no, there are no DVD's for sale yet. Russian release is the same as international, on October 15th.

They showed it in Russian with English subs. Voice acting is good, some people complained but that's always unavoidable. No idea about Japanese voice cast. :-)

Nadya was voiced by Elena Chebaturkina.
Some people? lol The voice acting was horrible. You can call it "good" only if you mean 3 out of 5
konart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 03:13   Link #240
Lav
The Mad General

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Some people? lol The voice acting was horrible. You can call it "good" only if you mean 3 out of 5
Tadaam! We found one of those some people! :-)