AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-02-23, 00:07   Link #121
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

I don't think many people who watch anime would watch it if it was just about WWII, unfortunately. However, if they concentrated on Soviet sniper battalions or their air force, which both had considerable numbers of female members, it might be good.

qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 00:31   Link #122
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Realistic war in anime format is not as sellable as magical girl with fluttering short skirt and big sword slicing through a Tiger tank while kicking hordes of werewolf Waffen SS super soldiers at the same time.

Let's face, mass media loves such thing whereas realistic depiction (which I preferred) tends to take second place.
Old 2009-02-23, 00:32   Link #123
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
I don't think many people who watch anime would watch it if it was just about WWII, unfortunately. However, if they concentrated on Soviet sniper battalions or their air force, which both had considerable numbers of female members, it might be good.
Is there much of a WW2 interest in Japan at all? Even if they focused on snipers or aircrews, it might not do too well, at least not in Japan. I can imagine Russians (and myself) taking a liking to it, however. This anime is going to be marketed to Russia as well, right?
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 00:37   Link #124
stormy001_M1A2

There is a big interest of WW 2 militaria in Japan but it mainly centered on romantic depiction of Nazi Germany and Japan. I have just read manga autobiography of Japanese ace pilot legend Saburo Sakai (1000 + pages thick of manga) which shows there is market for World War 2 stories in Japan. Right now I reading manga series that titled 442nd RCT (American Japanese US Army outfit in Europe Campaign). I haven't come across any manga that talks about USSR in World War 2 yet.

As for anime, it is pretty spotty. The closest World War 2 anime I can recall is Cockpit OVA.
Old 2009-02-23, 01:00   Link #125
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
While its premises doesn't really sounds bad but I think it could be better if they made a realistic WW2 anime that takes place in Battle of Leyte Gulf or Battle of Stalingrad.
That may be a good idea, but it'd be even better if it weren't produced by the Japanese. That's why it's very good that the creative team behind this film are Russians. And to be honest, putting it in the winter of 1941 is a lot more unique than depicting one of the more famous battles. Stalingrad, for example, works much better as a live action work.

If there was to be a Japanese historical anime, I'd much prefer a period like the Sengoku Jidai (no, Samurai Deeper Kyo doesn't count ), but that's not going to happen either. The one World War II anime I'd like to see is a depiction of August Storm, but there's definitely no way the Japanese would make that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Is there much of a WW2 interest in Japan at all? Even if they focused on snipers or aircrews, it might not do too well, at least not in Japan. I can imagine Russians (and myself) taking a liking to it, however. This anime is going to be marketed to Russia as well, right?
The World War II interest in Japan is all the wrong kind for making a good creative work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
There is a big interest of WW 2 militaria in Japan but it mainly centered on romantic depiction of Nazi Germany and Japan.
Anime about Nazi or Imperial Japanese apologism/fetishism is about the last thing the world needs.

Quote:
As for anime, it is pretty spotty. The closest World War 2 anime I can recall is Cockpit OVA.
There's also Zipang - while it's obviously science fictional, so is the Cockpit's German nukes and whatnot. There's also stuff like Barefoot Gen, but that's on the civilian side of things.
Old 2009-02-23, 01:13   Link #126
stormy001_M1A2

This is latest big budget WW2 movie from Japan, out in 2007. You can see just how romantic the portrayal of this pivotal scene is. "For Those Who We Love" (2007).

If anything goes by, realistic depiction of WW 2 from Japanese POV is still far off.

Cheers.
Old 2009-02-23, 01:23   Link #127
4Tran

Quote:
This is latest big budget WW2 movie from Japan, out in 2007. You can see just how romantic the portrayal of this pivotal scene is. "For Those Who We Love" (2007).

If anything goes by, realistic depiction of WW 2 from Japanese POV is still far off.

Cheers.
Ouch. That's as bad as "Flyboys", and that was supposed to be just an action film. Why are the Japanese film makers learning the wrong lessons from Hollywood? Heck, they even had a perfectly good example of the right lessons in "Letters from Iwo Jima", but I've heard that a lot of Japanese nationalists didn't like it.
Old 2009-02-23, 03:11   Link #128
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Well, personally I felt Ken Watanabe was the only thing that made Letters watchable, but you're right about them not having the right ideas about romanticising war. Then again, most all war movies are merely propaganda, getting the current generation indoctrinated through Hollywood.

When all the veterans of WWII are gone, who will be left to tell what really happened? No one.

Old 2009-02-23, 06:39   Link #129
Sheba
Cannot Unsee It

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
Then again, most all war movies are merely propaganda, getting the current generation indoctrinated through Hollywood.

When all the veterans of WWII are gone, who will be left to tell what really happened? No one.

I'd suggest you to watch Das Boot (ok, this movie is german) for WWII (hell, even Private Ryan is not that "romantic" or "indoctrinated") or Platoon for Vietnam War, then tell me if it is propaganda. Only japanese animated movie that have come so close to show war as ugly as possible and its effects on the ordinary people is Grave of the Fireflies. It's just that americans and europeans does it better.

EDIT: While dealing with the Korea War and not WWII, the Korean movie Taegukgi is one non-western movie that have come as close to the american and european big names. The portrayal of war in that movie was intense, and I don't mean only the violence, but the drama in it. It was as powerful as Ryan, perhaps more in my opinion.

Last edited by Sheba; 2009-02-23 at 07:48.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 13:49   Link #130
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.

What I would like to see one day would be an adaptation of the Moko Shurai Ekotoba - a look at the Mongol invasions of 1274 and 1281.

And speaking of the sengoku period, I wonder if we would ever see a studio in either Japan or South Korea try and deal with Hideyoshi's Korean invasions...
Old 2009-02-23, 21:08   Link #131
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

Cheers.
Actually, I thought that the headshots that the American crews were getting were quite impressive. I was more focused on the amount of gore in the situation.

I do think that the music and launch scene were prob meant to generate sympathy. It was a pretty good sequence either way.
Old 2009-02-23, 21:53   Link #132
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I'd suggest you to watch Das Boot (ok, this movie is german) for WWII (hell, even Private Ryan is not that "romantic" or "indoctrinated") or Platoon for Vietnam War, then tell me if it is propaganda. Only japanese animated movie that have come so close to show war as ugly as possible and its effects on the ordinary people is Grave of the Fireflies. It's just that Americans and Europeans does it better.

EDIT: While dealing with the Korea War and not WWII, the Korean movie Taegukgi is one non-western movie that have come as close to the american and european big names. The portrayal of war in that movie was intense, and I don't mean only the violence, but the drama in it. It was as powerful as Ryan, perhaps more in my opinion.
I submit to that, and I was wrong in saying all war movies are propaganda.
However even those which try to take a 'War is Bad. Period.' stand tend to lean towards one side of the conflict or the other.
Well, I've wanted to watch Das Boot for a very long time, but it was always expensive or hard to find. Platoon was okay though.
I will check out that Korean one, it sounds interesting to say the least.
Did you really find Ryan so good? It was mediocre at best for me.

Old 2009-02-24, 19:52   Link #133
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
There is a big interest of WW 2 militaria in Japan but it mainly centered on romantic depiction of Nazi Germany and Japan. I have just read manga autobiography of Japanese ace pilot legend Saburo Sakai (1000 + pages thick of manga) which shows there is market for World War 2 stories in Japan. Right now I reading manga series that titled 442nd RCT (American Japanese US Army outfit in Europe Campaign). I haven't come across any manga that talks about USSR in World War 2 yet.

Even in wargames, I see a lot of Japanese airsofters wear Wehrmacht militaria in the internet.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 20:28   Link #134
Shadow Kira01

The thing I find about American war-themed films is that they are always depicted as heroes fighting a war of hope and end as winners. Somewhat unrealistic...
Old 2009-02-25, 04:38   Link #135
Sheba
Cannot Unsee It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
The thing I find about American war-themed films is that they are always depicted as heroes fighting a war of hope and end as winners. Somewhat unrealistic...
It depends on what war, and on the time period the movie was made. Back in the 1950-1960, war movies were indeed about Allies fighting the Good War on the side of good. From late 1970s to 1980s, with the vietnam war movies, they are shown not really as heroes, but ordinary men while WWII movie genre declined a bit. Late 1990s and early 2000s saw the comeback of WWII since Private Ryan.

Then it depends on the context of the movie, 1950-1960, it was mostly about celebrating their heroes. Late 1970s-1980s, the vietnam war movie genre was trying to understand why and how they got into this mess, and trying to rehabilitate the vietnam veterans widely accused to be baby killers (NVA did things that were as bad). Since Ryan, it's mostly homage to the declining number of veterans.

And this is just taking the mainstream.

Say, any day of the week, I'll personally take the american and european efforts to portray war over the japanese ones (that have the tendency to romanticize or glorify it (exception being the likes of Grave of the Fireflies)).
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 16:02   Link #136
stormy001_M1A2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
What I would like to see one day would be an adaptation of the Moko Shurai Ekotoba - a look at the Mongol invasions of 1274 and 1281.

And speaking of the sengoku period, I wonder if we would ever see a studio in either Japan or South Korea try and deal with Hideyoshi's Korean invasions...
I remember vaguely that there is a Korean drama on exploits of unbeatable Korean Admiral Yi, the dude who created turtle ship. I saw one episode of it in Korean store in my neighborhood.
Old 2009-04-29, 14:32   Link #137
SneakerPimp

New trailer, synopsis and date for First Squad: http://blog.affenheimtheater.de/en/2...rld-war-anime/
SneakerPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 16:16   Link #138
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.

Nice!

Here's hoping it'll find a release, if even a limited one, somewhere in Canada...
Old 2009-04-29, 18:05   Link #139
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Well, this is about the closest thing we will get to a WWII show that doesn't have some fantasy element in in, so cheers, lol. I guess the countless movies, books, and games that don't involve fantasy and WWII are enough, lol.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 19:16   Link #140
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Well, this is about the closest thing we will get to a WWII show that doesn't have some fantasy element in in, so cheers, lol.
What about Kurogane PukaPuka Tai???...