AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-03, 01:35   Link #1
vince1234

Send a message via AIM to vince1234
good harem anime with a strong male lead?

Well as most of you know harem animes have crap male leads as far as i know. so im looking for a pretty good harem anime with a strong male lead. ie hes not afraid to see the girls in bikinis/naked or w/e.
Old 2008-09-03, 01:51   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

The "harem" exists because the male lead can't deal with the women.

What aspects of a harem-type anime appeal to you?
Kanon (2006) isn't a harem, but features a remarkably tolerable male lead and his relationships with multiple girls. Clannad is similar, but I liked Kanon a bit more. (Clannad has a pretty weak/sparse plot... it does have its moments though)
Old 2008-09-03, 03:11   Link #3
Arkuatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
The "harem" exists because the male lead can't deal with the women.
Not necessarily true. Mainly most harems center around a "weak" male lead because if the main lead was too into it(perverted) it wouldn't appeal to the audience, and if the male lead was uninterested it would mean hes either gay or seen way too much. The weakness harems show the males have is the sign of innocence because if he isnt its either hes tainted or you're watching a hentai.

True Tears-guy likes this girl but due to some circumstances its hard to get close to her. Then there are these other girls who also like him and things get stirred up, pretty dramatic harem.

Da Capo II-the lead isn't weak but hes not the best either; similar to da capo(obviously) but they are completely different story.

Mahou Sensei Negima-its not really my thing for a 10 year old to be teaching high school students and girls surrounding him, but you might like it.

Ai Yori Aoshi-a childhood friend appears in front of kaoru but he doesn't know its her and by the hand of fate they met up and nostalgic scenes appear. Since they hide their relationship many other females gather around them and as well as kaoru, nice story..season 2 wasn't so interesting but its more harem than the first

Though its rare to find a straight guy who doesn't blush when they see a nake girl or a girl in a bikini, you'll find plenty that do blush and play/be innocent.
Old 2008-09-03, 05:13   Link #4
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkuatic View Post
Not necessarily true. Mainly most harems center around a "weak" male lead because if the main lead was too into it(perverted) it wouldn't appeal to the audience, and if the male lead was uninterested it would mean hes either gay or seen way too much. The weakness harems show the males have is the sign of innocence because if he isnt its either hes tainted or you're watching a hentai.
You're right; not really true--only sometimes true, lol. (I sort of overlooked the plot sillinesses that often set these things up)
I don't entirely agree with your reasoning that these type of shows need these types of protagonists. A guy is not "weak" because he doesn't take advantage of girls--he's weak because he has to repeat every freaking thing someone says to him, and makes annoying little surprised noises all the time! The girls do not have to be trying to have sex with the guy. (for his magic genes, w/e) The comedy can be more subtle than--"Oops! I tripped and now your nose is in my crotch!" The guy's seiyuu doesn't have to be whiny. (need more like Kyon's seiyuu!)
Old 2008-09-03, 05:18   Link #5
Arkuatic

You're basically referring to animes that are ecchi oriented; which most animes with focus on ecchi lack a good story/plot which usually ends up being a simple story with no real plot-and bad characters. For example, Rosario+vampire, yea its a favorite series but when you look into it there wasn't much of a story;most of it was sappy, cheesy, not very clever, but the visual was good and of course who can really criticize an eye candy anime.

Personally i think most harems with ecchi in them are considered the bad type of harem, and those that don't have an overdose of ecchi have a solid plot.
Old 2008-09-03, 05:30   Link #6
jedinat
フリーター

Rosario+vampire, a favorite series? I hope not.

Ecchi and harem go pretty much hand-in-hand. I guess there may be a couple exceptions. Since you were referring to the protagonist being gay and whatnot if didn't touch the girls while not being typically weak-willed, I thought we were on the same page--apparently not.
Old 2008-09-03, 05:46   Link #7
Arkuatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Rosario+vampire, a favorite series? I hope not.

Ecchi and harem go pretty much hand-in-hand. I guess there may be a couple exceptions. Since you were referring to the protagonist being gay and whatnot if didn't touch the girls while not being typically weak-willed, I thought we were on the same page--apparently not.
favorite/popular either one of these since it did earn a spot in suki's discussion.

An ecchi harem is more popular because viewers(mostly guys) would prefer a variety of women from nice 3 sizes, loli, sweet/gentle, wild/outgoing, etc.

I was just giving an example of what comes to when attempting to appeal to the audience. The point i was trying to make was there aren't many approaches when it comes to harem; its either the guy is a solid protagonist which takes situations seriously, decisive when it needed, and keeps his innocence at the same time or the indecisive, shy, and pushover lead. I mean would a perverted protag thats decisive be appealing? mostly just annoying. Personally that a nuisance to watch.
Old 2008-09-03, 11:10   Link #8
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

A decent male lead within what we usually consider as "harem anime" (usually light hearted and not very serious, romance prone to not going anywhere) is, i would dare say, almost impossible to find. If we expand that definition to simply a male who happens to encounter many females, we can start looking at more serious romance shows, though this usually means drama and usually (serious) love triangles to some degree as well. (The aforementioned Kanon for example).

If you are up for such, then we can work something out

Gift ~Eternal Rainbow~ - romance/drama with a light touch of fantasy. Features what i consider to be one of the more likable male leads up to this date.

While not exactly the greatest anime out there, you might want to give Shuffle! a try. I do have a bone to pick with the writing of the series and how it butchered some characters past a certain point, but if you want a bunch of girls, fawning over the guy, fanservice, and a relatively decent male lead, this might be for you.

The aforementioned Ai Yori Aoshi might be a decent choice - don't "worry" if the start doesn't look like a typical harem anime - it soon evolves in to one (Albeit with a little twist).

Mmm ... oh yea - for a more typical ecchi harem comedy that actually manages to retain a male lead that isn't a hopeless loser, you might want to give Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun a try.

.. Probably some more titles, but my mind is a bit hazy now. Might add some later if i manage to remember
Old 2008-09-03, 12:23   Link #9
Arkuatic

I personally thought True Tears had a good male lead for a harem;Shinichiro was able to build his character, settle his relationship with the other females, and be true to his feelings whilst trying to fly.
Old 2008-09-03, 13:48   Link #10
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1234 View Post
Well as most of you know harem animes have crap male leads as far as i know. so im looking for a pretty good harem anime with a strong male lead. ie hes not afraid to see the girls in bikinis/naked or w/e.
you want School days - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=7815

one of the best herem ive seen, hes a strong male in the sense your looking for ( not for the first few episodes though, he changes fast though)

Last edited by AceD; 2008-09-03 at 14:05.
Old 2008-09-04, 10:47   Link #11
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Whilst Makoto isn't what I, personally, would call a strong male lead, the School Days series is a real turnabout in the harem genre - as the protagonists actually do engage in sexual activities and serious consequences do arise.

Although, I probably could see that this is not quite like what vince1234 is looking for. I, for one, loved it, but be prepared for anything, if you go see it.

Old 2008-09-04, 11:12   Link #12
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Whilst Makoto isn't what I, personally, would call a strong male lead, the School Days series is a real turnabout in the harem genre - as the protagonists actually do engage in sexual activities and serious consequences do arise.

Although, I probably could see that this is not quite like what vince1234 is looking for. I, for one, loved it, but be prepared for anything, if you go see it.
the OPs idea of a strong male lead was ''ie hes not afraid to see the girls in bikinis/naked or w/e.''

thats makoto down to a tee
Old 2008-09-04, 17:38   Link #13
vince1234

Send a message via AIM to vince1234
sorry if i didnt make it clear. I wanted a male lead that is not whiny but has some balls like makoto near the end of school days. i tihnk a really good example would be keppei from Aishiteruze Baby.
Closed Thread