AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-03, 10:13   Link #1
Flamming_Pants
Lord of the free

Talking Horror/Mystery Anime

I've recently been on the hunt for horror anime and was wandering if people could help.

I would like some horror or thriller anime recommendations; specifically those involving ghosts or spirits. Here are some that I already know of:

- Hell Girl
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
- Paranoia Agent
- Shion no ou
- Ghost Hunt
- Ghost Hound
- Petite Cossette

P.S. I'm new here so be nice .
Old 2008-09-03, 10:31   Link #2
Arkuatic

From the looks of it most of your watched are thrillers, mystery, and sci fi. So ill give it a go, although they wont all involve ghosts

Mononoke-visual is pretty unique however it does have your ghosts and spirits;basically a man goes around exorcising demons etc

Death Note-Involves death gods, book of death, and probably one of the most addicting plots, definitely a thriller

Monster-Tenma, a genius saves the life of a boy only, however that single life he saved leads to hundreds dying.

Blood+-all that sci-fi horror stuff

Hellsing-government has a secret organization called Hellsing where they deploy to rid the world of demons, abominations, and other stuff

Gantz-some weird government stuff where they recruit the dead to fight residing monsters within the city, reward is their lives back

Zombie loan-similar to gantz but different situations

Give em a try and if you dont like em just let us know more in detail of what you prefer from each anime
Old 2008-09-03, 10:55   Link #3
Echoes

If you enjoyed Paranoia Agent, you might find Serial Experiements Lain and Boogiepop Phantom enjoyable. A word of warning, though, both of them require a lot of thinking to truly get. You're not handed everything on a silver plate, you need to actively watch, not just passively observe. (I wouldn't describe either of them as horror either, but that goes for a lot of the animes you've listed as references as well.)

For mystery, ghosts and spirits, you should check out xxxHolic and its sequel, Kei. Again, not a horror show, but should be up your alley.
Old 2008-09-03, 10:58   Link #4
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

If you like Hellgirl,Shigofumi and Shinigami no Ballad that seemed so familiar.

Both Hell Girl,Shigofumi,and Shinigami no Ballad are animes about "Death"

and "Afterlife".

Old 2008-09-03, 16:21   Link #5
Niji

Try Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari - pretty dark, sometimes trippy, and good plot.
Maybe also Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto - Meiji era, a samurai story, but has some ghostly stuff.
Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi is not really horror, but plenty ghosts, and spirits. Enough action to glue me to the screen.
Old 2008-09-03, 16:46   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Yakushiji Ryoko is a police inspector in charge of the supernatural department of the Tokyo Police. The stories are pretty silly, I'm afraid, but the scripts are witty, the voice acting is excellent, and the characters, particularly Ryoko, are drop-dead sexy.

A couple of other series that have supernatural overtones, though not necessarily "horror" per se, are Baccano! and Natsume Yuujinchou.

I'd strongly endorse Mononoke as well as its licensed predecessor, the "Bakeneko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. Votes for Boogiepop and Monster as well, though the latter has no supernatural component at all. All the evil in Monster is the work of humans.

Nijuu Mensou no Musume is an adventure yarn with detective overtones. I can't tell you where to find it, but since you watched Shion you'll know where to look.

Claymore features beautiful women fighting monsters and demons in a setting akin to medieval Europe.

Hakaba Kitaro is by the same folks at Toei who made Mononoke. This is a classic Japanese horror/comedy story with great animation and music. I found the show a bit hard to warm up to at first because I didn't really like any of the characters. It grew on me the more I watched it, though.

Another show you might like, since you list Ghost Hound, is Dennou Coil. It's another near-future sci-fi show that has a hint of the supernatural.

Finally, I'll suggest Mnemosyne, though it's definitely bloodier and more sexually explicit than any of the shows I've listed so far. (Claymore's pretty bloody, too, but there's no sex.) I found the supernatural part of the story less compelling than the more realistic aspects, but you might reach a different conclusion. Warning: this show contains lesbian sexuality and sadistic sequences.
Old 2008-09-03, 16:47   Link #7
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

One anime fits the bill also it is pretty similar to GH but not that scary

* Gakkou no Kaidan (Ghost stories)

Horror Mystery ( mostly mystery with supernatural element in it )

* Ayatsuri Sakon

Download : http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/304.html (complete)

* Yakushiji Ryoko No Kaiki Jikenbo

Download : http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1259.html

Horror Specifically, Here more emphasis in given on the shock element than mystery

* Pet Shop of Horrors

* Ayakashi

* Mononke : Sequel/Spin Off to Ayakashi and its really good

Download : http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1067.html (complete)

Supernatural, The animes which have supernatural element in them (mildly horror) .

* Zombie Loan

Download : http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1058.html (complete)

* XXXHOLiC

Download 2nd Season : http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1194.html (complete)

* Hakaba Kitaro (complete)

Download : http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1171.html

* Natsume Yuujinchou

Download : http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1248.html

In genral I have avoided Yokai and 'Ayakashi' based shows ^o^
Old 2008-09-04, 03:51   Link #8
Flamming_Pants
Lord of the free

Sorry, I guess I might not have defined it properly but still, what's been listed so far is exactly the kind I'm looking for.

This is a big kickstart to my search, thanks everyone.
Closed Thread

Tags
horror, mystery