AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-09-04, 07:39   Link #1
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Frosty Scandinavia
Age: 25
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Discussion

So, do we have any S.T.A.L.K.E.R fans in here? With the upcoming release of Clear Sky, I though it was time to make a thread about these two games, to discuss random things.

Some information for the masses.

======

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
Developer(s): GSC Game World

General info: Released March 20, 2007. It's currently up to version 1.0006.
Mainly a FPS but with small RPG elements, naimly quests.

Plot Summary: IYou take the role of a "Stalker", an illegal explorer/artifact scavenger, in "The Zone". You are only called 'The Marked One'.
A second Chernobyl disatser occured in 2006 and which contaminated the surrounding area with radiation and caused strange otherworldly changes in local fauna, flora and even the laws of physics.
Mutants, anomalies and other mysterious things stand against you as you try to figure out who you really are and what's really going on in "The Zone".
(Text and ideas taken from Wikipedia)

AI: SoC uses the A-Life engine, a non-scripted AI, which means that characters, mutants and animals has their own routine and is independant of the player.

Personal Opinion: A great and extremely atmospheric game. It has its share of bugs and problems but is overall one of the best games I played. It's worth numerous playthrough as you each time come upon different things which was not there the first time.
I'm on my seventh playthrough atm and discovered things I had never seen before.

For more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.T.A.L...w_of_Chernobyl

======

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky
Developer(s): GSC Game World

General info: Relese dates:
August 22, 2008 (Russian)
September 5, 2008 (EU)
September 15, 2008 (NA)

The sequel keeps its FPS/RPG perspective but the setting is different.

Plot Summary: In a sense, Clear Sky is a prequel, a prologue, to what happened before SoC. You take the role of Scar, a mercenary, with the objective to kill
Spoiler for Ending for SoC spoiler:


Improvements: According to the info released; the AI engine, graphics and the overall performance has been optimized and improved.
Other changes is the upgrading system implemented for weapons with the ability to repair damaged gear.
Anomalies are more dangerous and harder to detect, requiring a handheld detector.

Personal Opinion: I haven't played it yet, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow. If it's up to the hype, I'm going to love it. Even if it isn't, I will still love it.

For more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:_Clear_Sky

If you want an extremely nice guide with information, maps and everyting else, check out the Zone Survival Guide, a website dedicated to Stalker.

So what's your opinion of this great series? What do enjoy to do, strolling around, discovering new things? Whatever it is, you're welcome to discuss.
__________________

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 10:49   Link #2
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Border of Common Sense
Age: 24
I've loved it, the first one. Except when the last mission was bugged, and I couldn't finish the game. I only played it once, though, it was enough.
__________________
If Anonymous is the Final Boss of the Internet, then who's the Extra Boss?
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 14:48   Link #3
Avisch
Reality Blender
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
STALKER 1 was a mixed ride for me.

The main attraction I found for Stalker. was the fact that finally some people decided to make a game that was basically an FPS in a cool explorable world (too bad the levels are segmented though)

The first I played it. The bugs got in the way and I stopped playing. Also the game was HARD (I don't know if my difficulty was set high for some reason, or the enemies just shto me in the back)
I waited a few months

Second time I played. I just got kind of annoyed getting slow because of my tendency to pick up anything useful and so I got weighed down.

In any case so far I've gotten close to playing it too the end, I cheated and got the mod that allows you to carry nearly anything. But I didn't go as far enough to get the mod that stops equipment degradation.

One thing that always interested me is just some of the events that you can replay and get different outcomes. And then what happens when you are not around.

Like
Spoiler for Army warehouses area mission:


And the major thing you need to know about the game if you're new to it. You can be killed as easilly as enemies

Clear Sky does look pretty damn cool with more effects (like blur). But it worries me cause the NPCs can now do stuff that you can't (like blindfire)

Also just a mention
......damn Zombie dogs.
__________________

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 14:58   Link #4
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Slovenia
Age: 27
Been waiting all year for this sequel (erm, prequel) to come
__________________
Eps~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 18:43   Link #5
Papaya
Sup
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
I played the first and absolutely despised it. It started out cool, but the second I hit that first segment load it only got worse. There were bugs EVERYWHERE, and the whole promise of an open world just lost itself with the loading. The inventory system felt really cumbersome too. I think the devs just overstretched their limitations and tried to make a game far more epic than they could have.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 07:22   Link #6
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Frosty Scandinavia
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
I've loved it, the first one. Except when the last mission was bugged, and I couldn't finish the game. I only played it once, though, it was enough.
I think I've gotten lucky with my game. I have encountered some bugs and I'm aware that, ofr some, the game might become unplayable. However, I never failed a mission because of a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
STALKER 1 was a mixed ride for me.

The main attraction I found for Stalker. was the fact that finally some people decided to make a game that was basically an FPS in a cool explorable world (too bad the levels are segmented though)
Agreed. I don't think many succedeed with an FPS in a free-roaming type of area before. Or even if they exist.

Quote:
The first I played it. The bugs got in the way and I stopped playing. Also the game was HARD (I don't know if my difficulty was set high for some reason, or the enemies just shto me in the back)
I waited a few months

Second time I played. I just got kind of annoyed getting slow because of my tendency to pick up anything useful and so I got weighed down.
I can agree that the game on so parts is hard, but that's mostly in the beginning, at least for me. I try to keep my bag filled to the point that I can still sprint, the rest I sell or stash somewhere.
Currently playing through it on Master and it's not a walk in the park.

Quote:
In any case so far I've gotten close to playing it too the end, I cheated and got the mod that allows you to carry nearly anything. But I didn't go as far enough to get the mod that stops equipment degradation.
I used to have 1 mod, which is the one that allows you to buy everything in the game from the traders. I only used it to get the Vintar BC and some ammo. Now I'm plaing only vanilla though.

Quote:
One thing that always interested me is just some of the events that you can replay and get different outcomes. And then what happens when you are not around.

Like
Spoiler for Army warehouses area mission:
This is why I like this game so much. The randomness.
Spoiler for heh:


Quote:
And the major thing you need to know about the game if you're new to it. You can be killed as easilly as enemies
Sometimes you can be very easily killed, especially from stalkers wearing exoskeleton. Tough bastards.

Quote:
Clear Sky does look pretty damn cool with more effects (like blur). But it worries me cause the NPCs can now do stuff that you can't (like blindfire)

Also just a mention
......damn Zombie dogs.
I think they've done a good on the improvements of the graphics. I just hope they fixed the graphics bug on some cards, like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
I played the first and absolutely despised it. It started out cool, but the second I hit that first segment load it only got worse. There were bugs EVERYWHERE, and the whole promise of an open world just lost itself with the loading. The inventory system felt really cumbersome too. I think the devs just overstretched their limitations and tried to make a game far more epic than they could have.
Sad thing about the bugs. I can agree with that, the loading kinda ruins the open world effect, but it's not something I get irritated on.
Don't have an opinion on the inventory system, works fine with me.
__________________

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 07:42   Link #7
Whiteshirt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Aye, a pretty buggy game, and while good, could be much better.

That's where the mod, Oblivion Lost, comes in. Why the developers couldn't this in the first place, I'll never know but props to the team who made this mod because it truly changed it from a good game to an amazing one.
Whiteshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 07:45   Link #8
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Frosty Scandinavia
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshirt View Post
Aye, a pretty buggy game, and while good, could be much better.

That's where the mod, Oblivion Lost, comes in. Why the developers couldn't this in the first place, I'll never know but props to the team who made this mod because it truly changed it from a good game to an amazing one.
Agreed. They removed much that should have stayed. Blowouts, veichles etc.

Still haven't tried OL, but I think I will when I can download it. I've heard good things.
__________________

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 23:08   Link #9
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Why should you care?
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
Like
Spoiler for Army warehouses area mission:
Ah? You can choose there? It's been a while since I played it but, when I played it I had no choice hehe. It just happened that I had to help one or the other. I even saved before that, loaded a few times and everytime it randomly picked a team. Maybe a bug I didn't notice.

Nice game. Just for you to know, I don't know if it was a bug or my PC, but I had no sky, in its place there was a huge yellow sea, it blinded me by night (game's night). Try playing like that

Oh and also, can someone tell me if there are different endings, I finished it only once.

Spoiler for game's ending:


EDIT: For the warehouse. Was it possible to help neutral stalkers?
__________________
Even with the highest hopes...
Even with the greatest dreams...
There's no use, if your wings can't fly...
Deadwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 06:00   Link #10
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Frosty Scandinavia
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwings View Post
Nice game. Just for you to know, I don't know if it was a bug or my PC, but I had no sky, in its place there was a huge yellow sea, it blinded me by night (game's night). Try playing like that
Sounds like some problem with your graphics card. Overheating or a GFX bug in the game.

Quote:
Oh and also, can someone tell me if there are different endings, I finished it only once.
Spoiler for game's ending:
The ending you described is the most usual but is NOT a GOOD/true ending.
Spoiler for Possible endings without explanation:


If you want to watch videos or read more info regarding the endings, this site has everything you need: http://stalker.heroesradio.com/Walkthrough_Endings.php
EXTREME spoiler warning
__________________

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 16:12   Link #11
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Why should you care?
Age: 25
I took a look at that page, the bad endings are somehow funny . I think I'll play again, I want to see these good endings.
And about my commentary on the warehouse, nevermind, I was talking about something else.
__________________
Even with the highest hopes...
Even with the greatest dreams...
There's no use, if your wings can't fly...
Deadwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 00:55   Link #12
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Kamogawa Gym
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Great game, loved the first one and am looking forward to picking up Clear Sky. Playing without Oblivion Lost is the way to go for the first play through. Oblivion Lost is cool, but it destroys a lot of the scripted events. What is an epic firefight in vanilla Stalker is over in 5 seconds in OL. Those graphic overhaul mods are pretty sweet as well. It is weird how the difficulty settings are handled. You have even less accuracy on easy mode, but so do the enemies. On the harder settings you are more accurate, but so are the enemies.

I sided with Duty and played through the assault mission a few times. One time before the assault Skull got sniped so I couldn't continue . Reloaded and tore up Freedom camp, looted every single body.

Funny raid on Freedom with bugged AI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2pz5uTXa70
Sidorovich gets blown up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Zvo6XTlM0
__________________

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 01:36   Link #13
stewie0814
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I started playing it when it just came out, and like everyone here says, it had lots of bugs, so I stopped playing it. I recently reinstalled it though (3-4 weeks ago) on Ubuntu (runs quite well, surprisingly ) and im currently on the second laboratory place.

Its a fun game, but I can't play it for more than 40 minutes straight, its kinda tiresome
__________________
stewie0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 06:59   Link #14
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Frosty Scandinavia
Age: 25
Got some updates from another forum. According to some users, Clear Sky bugs more after the first patch, experiencing CTD's randomly or at scripted events.
I have not picked it up yet (it got delayed another week T_T) but I really hope this is not normal. Some users said they didn't have any bugs/crashes at all.

Overall, I think Clear Sky is more buggy than the first, but time has to decide. Looking forward to friday...
__________________

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 02:20   Link #15
Black0raz0r
Red vs Blue
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upper Austria
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Black0raz0r
woaaaah!!! I love this game series

got all 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games and the 1st 4 of 7 S.T.A.L.K.E.R. books

here are some screenshots I made in the game STLAKER Clear Sky

Spoiler for screenshots:


I also made once 3 music videos to S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but 1 was deleted by Youtube
anyway.....here are my 2 others

Spoiler for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. music videos:


yeah. Clear Sky got more bugs then Shadow of Chernobyl.
Call of Pripyat was ok. Couldn't found there any bugs.
I always play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with mods. It's much cooler with mods

good damn I love S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and other games/movies with such a setting
hope there will be a new STALKER soon
__________________

Last edited by Black0raz0r; 2010-06-09 at 02:40.
Black0raz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 03:30   Link #16
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 28
I really liked a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game for about 15 minutes once while I was playing Pripyat. I was walking through a big empty warehouse relishing the atmosphere and appreciating all the missed opportunities for cheap scare tactics as I wandered rooms just begging for grotesque monsters to spring out of open doorways... I got over it and went back to thinking S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is alternately boring and annoying as hell.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.