AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-09-09, 15:52   Link #1
lborl

.mkv to dvd (preserving subs) help needed

Hi.

So I got an anime which is 6 episodes and 6 post-episode shorts all in .mkv format, and I'd like to burn them to DVD.

The problem is that somebody has painstakingly created beautifully arranged subtitles for the thing in .ass form, all in appropriate fonts to illuminate captions and signs etc in the anime, and if I just use something like ConvertXtoDVD all of this careful placement will be lost - it'll just encode all the subs in Arial or whatever along the bottom of the screen.

Is there any easy way I can hardsub the beautifully tailored .ass stuff into another video file, preferably with freeware, so I can burn the lot and watch it on my proper telly?

Last edited by lborl; 2008-09-09 at 16:48. Reason: Removed title
Old 2008-09-09, 16:22   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

First, you should probably remove that title from your posting since it's a licensed anime.

Over in the Tech Support forum, you'll see a sticky that points to all the technical FAQs. The one you want to start with is: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
Old 2008-09-09, 16:48   Link #3
lborl

Oh OK - I've edited the offending title out (although it's nigh on impossible to get in the UK otherwise I would have just bought the thing).

Will check out the link you sent, thanks.

Edit: Ah, right. I should have mentioned I'd like to output in PAL...

Edit 2: I was going to put "never mind, I've found the deleted UK DVD on eBay and am bidding for it now". Well, I am still bidding for it, but looking around at internet reviews it seems the DVD is taken from VHS masters and is of significantly lower quality than the fansub I already have on my hard drive. Looks like I'll still want to burn this somehow...

I think I'll try going through the steps in that guide and then run the results through ConvertXtoDVD to get the PAL conversion. That should work, right?

Last edited by lborl; 2008-09-09 at 17:18.
Old 2008-09-09, 17:43   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You're new here, so no one, least of all me, was offended by your post. We all try to walk a fine line here.

I can't answer your question about ConvertXtoDVD since I don't use Windows. In Linux I'd use the mencoder program, the encoding tool that comes with mplayer, but that runs from the command line, not a GUI.

I don't know what kind of DVD player you own, but many of them will play an XviD-encoded file in the AVI container. It might be easier to use AllToAVI or a similar tool, then write the files to a CD or DVD. If your player supports DivX, it will probably play XviD in AVI.
Old 2008-09-09, 18:21   Link #5
lborl

Thanks for the reassurance

Basically I'm still playing DVDs through my (chunkline) PS2 so I have to burn them as proper DVDs rather than DivX or whatever. ConvertXtoDVD generally works great for this and is practically idiot(eg. me)proof.

I tested AllToAVI on one of the shorts mentioned above, but it still doesn't preserve the formatting of the carefully placed subtitles - it changes them to a default font and drags them all along the bottom instead - it's problematic because as mentioned before, a lot of the subs are hovering translations of on-screen text that linger as long as that text is up there, and they obscure concurrent dialogue when busted down to the usual position.

In fact (now I've tested it on the same file) ConvertXtoDVD seems to almost support the special .ass styles, keeping some semblance of the fonts, but making them drastically larger and again throwing them out of position.

Perhaps I just need to wait until they update it?

Last edited by lborl; 2008-09-09 at 18:47.
Old 2008-09-09, 19:20   Link #6
lborl

Hang on. Couldn't I just run the mkv with the lovely subs through Media Player Classic in fullscreen and then just use some kind of desktop video capture to record an avi or something of that? That could never work... could it!?
Old 2008-09-09, 19:47   Link #7
lborl

Talking

Ok, no, it doesn't.
Old 2008-09-09, 23:18   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You're not alone in having this problem with ConvertXtoDVD:

http://forums.vso-software.fr/google...=FORID%3A9#907
Old 2008-09-10, 03:03   Link #9
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

In the CCCP preferences, select the option to autoload VSFilter. Then any conversion programs should preserve the subtitles in the encoded video. I could be mistaken, though.
Old 2008-09-12, 05:58   Link #10
lborl

Um... changing the CCCP settings doesn't affect external programs though surely? I tried it anyway of course. No difference to the ConvertXtoDVD output.

I noticed there's an 'embedded subtitles' setting for Media Player Classic but that is for recognizing ones that are there rather than creating them presumably?

I tried switching it on and ended up with two sets of the same subtitles overlaid (in MPC) but each rendered slightly differently in terms of placement, line breaks etc, so that it looked a right mess.

Gah.

Thanks for trying though
Old 2008-09-12, 11:05   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

ConvertXtoDVD is on ffmpeg's Hall of Shame list. These are commercial programs that have incorporated the open-source ffmpeg software that is licensed under version 2.0 of the General Public License (GPL). That means that the distributors of ConvertXtoDVD are infringing on the work of the ffmpeg developers and not complying with the very strict terms of the GPL. Essentially all of the source code for ConvertXtoDVD should have been released to the public.

ConvertXtoDVD could have stayed within the rules if they had limited their usage to just the parts of ffmpeg licensed under the "Lesser General Public License." However the two files called postproc.dll and swscale.dll use source code copyrighted under the much more stringent GPL. Their use makes all of ffmpeg covered by the GPL, so the entire application infringes.

As the Hall of Shame list demonstrates, they are not alone.

It might seem strange to be concerned about copyright infringement on a site devoted to infringing fansubs, but it's one thing for me to watch a fansub in my home, and another thing for someone to make money by ripping off others' work without credit and without complying with the license terms.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-09-12 at 12:30.
Old 2008-09-12, 11:30   Link #12
lborl

I have a pleasingly ironic footnote to that story, but I'm not going to write what it is.

Last edited by lborl; 2008-09-12 at 11:42.
Old 2008-09-12, 19:47   Link #13
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
ConvertXtoDVD is on ffmpeg's Hall of Shame list. These are commercial programs that have incorporated the open-source ffmpeg software that is licensed under version 2.0 of the General Public License (GPL). That means that the distributors of ConvertXtoDVD are infringing on the work of the ffmpeg developers and not complying with the very strict terms of the GPL. Essentially all of the source code for ConvertXtoDVD should have been released to the public.

ConvertXtoDVD could have stayed within the rules if they had limited their usage to just the parts of ffmpeg licensed under the "Lesser General Public License." However the two files called postproc.dll and swscale.dll use source code copyrighted under the much more stringent GPL. Their use makes all of ffmpeg covered by the GPL, so the entire application infringes.

As the Hall of Shame list demonstrates, they are not alone.

It might seem strange to be concerned about copyright infringement on a site devoted to infringing fansubs, but it's one thing for me to watch a fansub in my home, and another thing for someone to make money by ripping off others' work without credit and without complying with the license terms.
Didn't ConvertXToDVD not include the LGPL license either? Its not just "wrong"; its illegal copyright infringement
Old 2008-09-12, 20:41   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Didn't ConvertXToDVD not include the LGPL license either? Its not just "wrong"; its illegal copyright infringement
Not that I could see. I'm the one who posted in the Slashdot thread that running strings against the ConvertX binaries turned up no references to the GPL that I could find. The "hall of shame" entry at ffmpeg shows other similarities between strings found in the binaries and the source code itself.

You folks are probably being ripped off somewhere, too, I'd imagine. In the past the Free Software Foundation encouraged developers using the GPL to transfer the rights to their works to the FSF so they could sue on your behalf. I don't see that happening much any more. These days it looks like the Software Freedom Law Center is pursuing GPL infringers, mostly for uses in appliances. I notice that one of your developers wrote here that there were commercial applications using x264. Are they distributing source? Have you ever taken action against a commercial application that incorporates x264 without abiding by the terms of the GPL?
Old 2008-09-13, 03:40   Link #15
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Not that I could see. I'm the one who posted in the Slashdot thread that running strings against the ConvertX binaries turned up no references to the GPL that I could find. The "hall of shame" entry at ffmpeg shows other similarities between strings found in the binaries and the source code itself.

You folks are probably being ripped off somewhere, too, I'd imagine. In the past the Free Software Foundation encouraged developers using the GPL to transfer the rights to their works to the FSF so they could sue on your behalf. I don't see that happening much any more. These days it looks like the Software Freedom Law Center is pursuing GPL infringers, mostly for uses in appliances. I notice that one of your developers wrote here that there were commercial applications using x264. Are they distributing source? Have you ever taken action against a commercial application that incorporates x264 without abiding by the terms of the GPL?
I don't know of any of the top of my head that rip off x264, but some probably do (though I suspect they are the same ones that rip off ffmpeg; I highly doubt there are any significant ones that rip off one but not the other).