AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 33 27.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 30.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 9.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-11, 18:04   Link #261
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post

It was obvious for me thanks to Klan but it's understandable that Sheryl 's fan do not want to believe it. Until they heard alto saying aishiteru to Ranka, that's it.
oh really? i think what us sherly fans didn't want to believe is that ranka has won the race friend, not alto didn't love ranka or whatsoever.

and tell me by loving her.. does that justify he will choose her over sheryl?

like u said friend.. you as ranka fans will not believe alto is in love with sheryl.. err ops my bad lol let me repharse that

will not believe sheryl has won the race until alto say aishiteru to her..

so we got an agreement here yea?

and yea as golthin said this episode just tell us that alto love ranka, but what then? who won the race?
NONE AT THE MOMENT
Old 2008-09-11, 18:06   Link #262
zalem

So it's officially confirmed Brera is her brother. Now we can put BreraxRanka to rest for good. Stupid Grace, she fried poor Brera...just as he found out about Ranka being his sister too. Now he's probably going to be her zombie-slave or something. He'll probably end up dying.

Meh, you guys already know my view on things so you can guess how I reacted to this episode. It's not looking good folks, not good at all....
Old 2008-09-11, 18:06   Link #263
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
this episode is not improving Ranka's chance or decreasing sheryl's chance! It just let us know that Alto had feelings for Ranka.
Agreed. Alto always had some feelings for Ranka, it's just the relative strength of that feelings vs. his feelings for Sheryl that's been at issue in the shipper wars. To deny that Alto has some type of feelings for Ranka is the same as denying that Alto and Sheryl kissed three times so far in this series.

Although what this episode has succeeded in doing is fanning the flames of shipper war to even a higher level. Kawamori said in his September interview that the last leg of the show was structured in such a way as to make both Sheryl and Ranka fans excited and worried in turns. I guess he's a man true to his words.

At this point, anything is still possible. So just sit back, have faith, and enjoy the ride (and shoot the opposing shippers if that's your slice of pie).
Old 2008-09-11, 18:07   Link #264
KiraYamatoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
It's a pity Seifall only joined last month, it would've been interesting to see her opinions near the end for stuff like KGNE and True Tears.... shows where the main guy had feelings for both, shows where the winning girl looked screwed near the end. Things I've been saying will happen in Frontier for weeks now....
Please, don't remind me of KGNE. Haruka was more screwed than anybody else in my mind and I cried for a few minutes when she sacrificed Taka for Mitsuki's sake rather than taking it all for herself: Mituski's chances were going down right in the ropes. Thank God we have the current OVA to follow the path we Haruka fans wished for.

Why does it have to go down that way? Why not do it the Escaflowne way when everything regarding the love triangle was solved with 2 episodes to go? Why take down Sheryl in a journey to hell (close to death, feeling the worst of despair, Alto not comitting himself to her out of love, etc.) when Ranka should be deserving the same journey? Many questions remain unanswered.

As Lone Wolf wrote earlier when she reported the reactions on 2chan, I must admit myself I also want Ranka to throw herself off a cliff. I am very very MAD to see Sheryl suffer again while Kawamori doesn't even dare throwing Ranka into something as painful as what Sheryl is living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
Look, don't be worried. Prior to 23, the Ranka 2cher in Japan were all speculating that Alto was gonna ditch Sheryl after she got drunk and that note Sheryl crumpled up was Alto's farewell "I'm off to save Ranka, bui bui" message after she woke up.

So instead, all we got was some philosophical discussion about Alto's intent back in episode 3 and what his priorities are now. No where did he ever came out and said he's loving one girl or another. Sheryl just had to overhear it and get all confused and weepy, and generate more angst for all the shippers.

Sit tight, buckle up, and don't get stressed out. The fight isn't over until the fat lady sings, and the credits for the last episode fades into black. I'm still cautiously hopeful, so don't lose faith.
I just hope you're right because I always believed all romance aspects (in an action or sci-fi anime) must be solved with two episodes to go in order to get full room for the biggest battle of the series and I always said how much I hate things going down to the wire. Especially now, I hate to see Sheryl suffer once again when she doesn't deserve that.

At least in DYRL, Hikaru was able to say it out loud that he doesn't want Minmay's affection: Minmay suffered the most and it was very well-deserved. If there was a perfect moment to say it, it had to be either last week or this week because a huge battle is upcoming.
Old 2008-09-11, 18:11   Link #265
aneeshadc

Quote:
Look, don't be worried. Prior to 23, the Ranka 2cher in Japan were all speculating that Alto was gonna ditch Sheryl after she got drunk and that note Sheryl crumpled up was Alto's farewell "I'm off to save Ranka, bui bui" message after she woke up.

So instead, all we got was some philosophical discussion about Alto's intent back in episode 3 and what his priorities are now. No where did he ever came out and said he's loving one girl or another. Sheryl just had to overhear it and get all confused and weepy, and generate more angst for all the shippers.

Sit tight, buckle up, and don't get stressed out. The fight isn't over until the fat lady sings, and the credits for the last episode fades into black. I'm still cautiously hopeful, so don't lose faith.
Thanx, I needed that pep talk. I'm all hyped for the finale either way & I still want Sheryl to land that punch on alto before she passionately kisses him. As much I love alto, he is still the cause of so much pain & heartache. I'd really like to punch him myself but since i cant I'd like sheryl to do the honors for me. ^_^.
Old 2008-09-11, 18:12   Link #266
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Especially now, I hate to see Sheryl suffer once again when she doesn't deserve that.
It will probably only be resolved at the end of 25, not sooner. As for Sheryl, we'll give her either the "best K-Drama imitation heroine in anime" award if she survives, or the "Best K-Drama heroine in anime" award if she dies. Damn that kawamori. Strong is his troll-fu.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshadc View Post
Thanx, I needed that pep talk. I'm all hyped for the finale either way & I still want Sheryl to land that punch on alto before she passionately kisses him. As much I love alto, he is still the cause of so much pain & heartache. I'd really like to punch him myself but since i cant I'd like sheryl to do the honors for me. ^_^.
1. Sheryl already punched and kicked Alto in 16. 2. If they ever end up together, I'm sure she'll make him pay for the rest of his life.
Old 2008-09-11, 18:16   Link #267
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Please, don't remind me of KGNE. Haruka was more screwed than anybody else in my mind and I cried for a few minutes when she sacrificed Taka for Mitsuki's sake rather than taking it all for herself: Mituski's chances were going down right in the ropes. Thank God we have the current OVA to follow the path we Haruka fans wished for.
woah, hello there haruka's fan.. didn't know some exist here

im your brother in arms

well yea currently sheryl suffer just too much... dying, hearing the guy she like, like someone else, got her present to alto to fly in boundless sky to be interrupted by a plot hax.

lets wait and see what kawamori actually planned for her
Old 2008-09-11, 18:21   Link #268
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletha View Post
Most Sheryl fans never denied Alto had feelings for Ranka. They don't think they are that type of feelings perhaps, but he obviously has feelings for her. That's why we are saying it sets up the finale.
Yeah, of course he got feelings for her. Friendly, protective feelings. Romantic ones? Not so much.
*edit* To clarify: As he is now. He had developed some in episodes 12-13, but after that they got buried again pretty quickly. Best seen in that scene in Rankas room where she goes "Oh, pretty please, do, erm, donīt do something inappropiate! <wink, wink>" and Alto is all "Huh, what? Yeah, whatever." <- Artistic exageration. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
No, Sheryl's fan will never accept that Alto had any romantic feelings for Ranka! Even though it is pretty obvious with this episode! It is like a sin for alto to have any feelings for Ranka at all. They keep calling it brotherly love, but it just make me feel how they keep denying it. why can't they accept that he had feelings for Ranka even though Ranka and Alto is basically impossible to happen now.

you might be the rare case, but everytime it is brought out I hear "he only likes her as a brother"
line.
As I said above and elsewhere already in the thread. At this point I canīt see it being more than brotherly concern anymore. Which is also a kind of love, of course.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2008-09-11 at 18:31.
Old 2008-09-11, 18:30   Link #269
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshadc View Post
Hmm.... I get what ur saying, do you think you can tell me ur impression abt what this means in terms of who he actually loves?
I'm a scared Sheryl fan atm but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I'd be very disappointed if she doesnt get a happy ending. Alto will be dead to me if he handles this badly. If kawamori is going to make it out to be pity love, I'd atleast like for Sheryl to punch his guts before she tells him to get the hell out of her life. I just want her happy.
Sry for my rant. Okay, I'm calm now. I'd still like to hear your impression even if its depressing. I dont mind brutally honest people, infact I prefer them ^_^
Any Kawamori-fan will be very proud of him because of how he has gotten his audience invest so much of their emotion to his story. My opinion isn't one of the popular one, unfortunately, but I'll give it anyway.

When Klan asked, "Alto, sore ga omae` no ai ka?"... she isn't exactly asking Alto who is he going to pick for his romantic interest, rather, .. she is making a very sad observation. Let me elaborate. Does Alto like Sheryl? Yes. Does Alto like Ranka? Yes. Alto also likes the people who chooses to live in this fragile world. Alto is declaring that he wouldn't mind killing one of his loved one if it means avoiding mass destruction for those people. From that line of thought, it seems, Alto's definition of "love" is too vast, so it renders him unable to be tied down by the affection of one or two people. I think that's what Klan realizes just now, and Sheryl has been into such realization for some time already. They can love him all they want, but he is incapable of returning it to either of them to their liking because of his scope of perception.

I will also be tremendously surprised if Kawamori chooses to kill either of these popular heroine, Sheryl and Ranka. Fans of these characters may not have anything to worry about for them to kick the bucket, however, the fans who have shipping in mind may end up becoming disappointed.
Old 2008-09-11, 18:35   Link #270
aneeshadc

Quote:
It will probably only be resolved at the end of 25, not sooner. As for Sheryl, we'll give her either the "best K-Drama imitation heroine in anime" award if she survives, or the "Best K-Drama heroine in anime" award if she dies. Damn that kawamori. Strong is his troll-fu.....

1. Sheryl already punched and kicked Alto in 16. 2. If they ever end up together, I'm sure she'll make him pay for the rest of his life.
lol. Duly Noted. In that case, I now have 1 more reason for them to get together in the end. It shall be alto's penance for his alarming levels of denseness.
Old 2008-09-11, 18:38   Link #271
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Any Kawamori-fan will be very proud of him because of how he has gotten his audience invest so much of their emotion to his story. My opinion isn't one of the popular one, unfortunately, but I'll give it anyway.
Kawamori and Yoshino (the script writer) should be proud of themselves. They did a very good job in making the characters and their stories come alive. And their troll-fu is very strong indeed.

Quote:
I will also be tremendously surprised if Kawamori chooses to kill either of these popular heroine, Sheryl and Ranka. Fans of these characters may not have anything to worry about for them to kick the bucket, however, the fans who have shipping in mind may end up becoming disappointed.
Well, the M7 ending would be a true cop-out ending. However, it will feed shipper war for generations to come and string along fans who will buy OAVs and etc with the futile hope that there will be an ending some day. I hope he doesn't take the easy way out, but if it happens, I wouldn't be shocked either.
Old 2008-09-11, 18:38   Link #272
Lostdreams

Sheryl's airplane went up but didn't fly. Don't think that's a good sign =(.
Old 2008-09-11, 18:39   Link #273
Deryns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
WOW! The shipper wars are really heating up now! Not much of a surprise really. Every Macross series goes this way. It really IS like the Pirates of the Caribbean ride... I'm sitting in a boat watching the cannonballs fly. ONE side is going to get their city burned and the other may end up dead skeletons sitting on their worthless prize...
You're not kidding I'll be glad to get off work to watch the episode with a detailed translation before I wade into this mess!
Old 2008-09-11, 18:43   Link #274
magnuskn

Quote:
Well, the M7 ending would be a true cop-out ending. However, it will feed shipper war for generations to come and string along fans who will buy OAVs and etc with the futile hope that there will be an ending some day. I hope he doesn't take the easy way out, but if it happens, I wouldn't be shocked either.
Honestly now, M7 had a very weak love "triangle". Basara ignored Mylene 99,9% of the time, Mylene was so immature it hurt and Gamlin was just that poor sod who always was running ( well, rather walking... running would have meant doing something energetic ) after Mylene. Quite pathetic.

M7 had the music as the primary part of the series, the antagonists as secondary and the romance tertiary. VERY tertiary.

Frontier has put the triangle up front, with the music being secondary and the antagonist tertiary. Of course at the end all the plot has to be resolved, so now the non-romantic parts are taking more prominence, but to leave the triangle unresolved would be to leave the foundation of the series unresolved. It wonīt happen.

Unless we are looking at a second season. That would throw quite the spanner into all our discussions, eh?
Old 2008-09-11, 18:46   Link #275
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
Sheryl's airplane went up but didn't fly. Don't think that's a good sign =(.
At this point, ignore the Sheryl death flags. If you go by the number of death flags she got since episode 18, her funeral was 3 episodes ago. They invested waaay too much in her and abused her waaay too much to off her now. Killing her at this point would be overdoing it, and will probably cause an explosion of Sheryl fan rage that results in lower DVD and CD sales. I mean, how many people are gonna buy the merchandises and go to the concerts (which is after the final episode) if the show leaves a bad taste in their mouth?

And no, Japanese anime isn't the same as Korean dramas. So don't get too excited about Sheryl death flags until you see her actually dead and buried with a tombstone.
Old 2008-09-11, 18:48   Link #276
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer

lols... now i know where all the Sheryl angst is coming from ^^.
Old 2008-09-11, 18:48   Link #277
Lostdreams

Quote:

At this point, ignore the Sheryl death flags. If you go by the number of death flags she got since episode 18, her funeral was 3 episodes ago. They invested waaay too much in her and abused her waaay too much to off her now. Killing her at this point would be overdoing it, and will probably cause an explosion of Sheryl fan rage that results in lower DVD and CD sales. I mean, how many people are gonna buy the merchandises and go to the concerts (which is after the final episode) if the show leaves a bad taste in their mouth?

And no, Japanese anime isn't the same as Korean dramas. So don't get too excited about Sheryl death flags until you see her actually dead and buried with a tombstone.
the airplane imo was a symbol of SherylxAlto. SherylxAlto's relationship got up into the air but it fell after Alto said something about loving Ranka. Will the airplane rise up or fall to the ground?
Old 2008-09-11, 18:54   Link #278
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams
Will the airplane rise up or fall to the ground?
If it was a Radio Controlled plane it would go up again ^^. Also something that has hit the ground will not fall again at the same level .
Old 2008-09-11, 18:56   Link #279
aneeshadc

Quote:

When Klan asked, "Alto, sore ga omae` no ai ka?"... she isn't exactly asking Alto who is he going to pick for his romantic interest, rather, .. she is making a very sad observation. Let me elaborate. Does Alto like Sheryl? Yes. Does Alto like Ranka? Yes. Alto also likes the people who chooses to live in this fragile world. Alto is declaring that he wouldn't mind killing one of his loved one if it means avoiding mass destruction for those people. From that line of thought, it seems, Alto's definition of "love" is too vast, so it renders him unable to be tied down by the affection of one or two people. I think that's what Klan realizes just now, and Sheryl has been into such realization for some time already. They can love him all they want, but he is incapable of returning it to either of them because of his scope of perception.

That's actually an interesting point of view & more comforting than, well seifall's view atleast. I dont think I'd be too opposed if it turned out this way. Sheryl deserves better anyway, but I think alto is capable of loving & committing to a single person.

Its just that up until now, he has been more prone to running away & shutting down his emotions rather than expressing them, u can call it an irrational fear or cowardice if u want, but I think its a very human feeling & something he needs to grow out of to convince us of his maturity.

Otherwise he'd remain the same alto that he was at the beginning of the series. Which is why I think its a definite possibility that he will choose one of the girls, even if it is ranka.
And didnt kawamori say something like- once alto figures out his feelings for the girls, expect it to move in a big way- in some interview? Though what ur suggesting could still happen, it wouldnt be much of a character develpment for Alto, would it?
Old 2008-09-11, 20:14   Link #280
SagaraSouske

Imo people should just ignore Seifall. Less stress that way.
Closed Thread