AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-24, 13:35   Link #1
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Solid 26 Episode Shows

A lot of 26 episode shows have a very similar air about them which is usually pretty good. 8 eps or so of exposition, an epic happening around episode 15, often a time skip, and then things get very uber dramatic and end at 26 episodes. For reference, there's R.O.D. the TV, Mai-HiME, Scrapped Princess, Simoun, Gankutsuou, Last Exile, Neon Genesis (more or less), Red Garden, you get my drift. Anyway, simply put, moar liek this plz.

Chances are, anything you suggest is something I've already heard of and just naming names will not convince me to watch it, and I don't need a plot summary. Just tell me what you liked about the show.
Old 2008-09-24, 15:25   Link #2
f4nt4

Kinda hard to remember which anime has 26 eps. The ones i remember :
Trigun
Cowboy Beebop
Samurai Champloo
Those three are my favorites for action comedy, so i can remember their episodes. Their action is top-notch with good comedy.
Azumanga Daioh : School girl comedy and cute characters

Probably you've watched them, since they are quite well known. But i can't remember other 26 eps outside my favorites.
Old 2008-09-24, 15:41   Link #3
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I have, though Trigun and Cowoy Bebop are both currently being rewatched since my first viewing was about 4 years ago. AzuDai is something I need to finish but it's not what I'm looking for.
Old 2008-09-24, 16:52   Link #4
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Gurren Lagann if you haven't seen it. Lucky Star?

Other than those the best 26 episodes only anime, is Busou Renkin, wonderfully executed with a beautiful ending. It has a colourful and varied cast, they are all strong characters that were portrayed very well.

Others like Clannad, Geass, Gundam 00, there are dual 26 episodes.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-09-24, 17:02   Link #5
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Welcome to the NHK - The most honest an unbias portrayle of slacker hikikimori otaku life I've ever seen...In it's genre nothing comes close to being able to truly compare with the grittiness of this story packaged in a way to fool the audience into thinking it's just gonna be another otaku-life kinda story..It's just so much more...

HeatGuy J - This often ignored title is a little gem with a poorman's Spike Speigal as it's main character...Add damn near invincible android cop, cool-a$$ fight sequences and shoot-outs, subtle depth of plot and bring to a boil...

Gungrave - Yeah it kinda WTFux you with how drastically it turns from serious mafia story into undead rpg fighter, but if you want "epic happening around episode 15, often a time skip, and then things get very uber dramatic and end at 26 episodes", then look no further...The thing about the time-skips though you never see them coming...
Old 2008-09-24, 19:26   Link #6
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

Angelic Layer

Trigun

Fruits Basket

Escaflowne

Samurai Champloo

Bamboo Blade

Azumanga Daioh
Old 2008-09-24, 21:23   Link #7
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

some good suggestions here but just as a note I've seen 550 anime. If it's really quite well known, I've seen it.
Old 2008-09-24, 21:33   Link #8
Falkor

it's strange that you are asking for suggestions, because, well, you are the one making most of the suggestions around here....

so yeah, I was wondering what kind of shows you were looking forward to watch, or see suggested that you haven't already suggested yourself.
Old 2008-09-24, 21:38   Link #9
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
some good suggestions here but just as a note I've seen 550 anime. If it's really quite well known, I've seen it.
Are there really any anime you haven't heard of? I'd think you'd be in a similar position as me--asking for recommendations being mostly pointless.
Anyways, I rewatched Brigadoon a couple months ago. It's a surprisingly good anime.
Devilman Lady - dark and a bit depressing, but if you like transforming female protagonists like I do, it is definitely worth a watch
Puchi Puri Yuushi - since I can't think of any other obscure 26ep anime... I don't even really remember it; I just see that I gave it an 8/10 on anidb--not much of a recommendation I know, lol
Old 2008-09-24, 22:00   Link #10
othera

cowboy beebop - i mean space cowboys ftwness.
moon phase - comedy/romance/vampires all things i love my fave anime EVER its cute funny and dramatic at the same time. Though if you dont like those things dont watch it :/
Hell girl - Well the first 5 or so episodes are just the same thing really its a bit after that where the story line is introduced I watched all but 4 or 5 episodes( ) and loved it.

Last edited by othera; 2008-09-25 at 00:51.
Old 2008-09-25, 08:01   Link #11
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Perhaps Utawarerumono if you haven't already seen it. It is one of the better anime, I've seen. It has both personal combat and large scale country warefare. There's plenty of twists and even a dab of philosophy mixed in. It has a large cast of interesting and likeable characters.

While I like alot, the lead is what caught me. Usually the young (16ish) brash, hero type is the main character, instead we have a leader in his mid 20's (or so it seems), who isn't implusive but stragetic and cunning. The maturity difference seeps into every layer of the show, making it a more interesting watch. It seems more realistic in some ways, because when he makes a bad choice, things get worse. Sometimes people die because of his poor choices and not just red-shirts. Somethings bad things are unavoidable. It has plenty of cute and enduring moments though in contrast as well.

It has a slow begining which you wanted, there's two major rises of action and then a downright epic conclusion. The ending is also... very interesting, though I'll let you form your own opinion of it.
Old 2008-09-25, 14:32   Link #12
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Are there really any anime you haven't heard of? I'd think you'd be in a similar position as me--asking for recommendations being mostly pointless.
Anyways, I rewatched Brigadoon a couple months ago. It's a surprisingly good anime.
Devilman Lady - dark and a bit depressing, but if you like transforming female protagonists like I do, it is definitely worth a watch
Puchi Puri Yuushi - since I can't think of any other obscure 26ep anime... I don't even really remember it; I just see that I gave it an 8/10 on anidb--not much of a recommendation I know, lol
i can't fucking find brigadoon ever. It's like it doesn't exist. And I really want to watch it. Not nl does the plot interest me but it has my favoirte music composer as well.

As for why I'm asking for suggestions, a kid sat next to me the other day and after I amazed him with my having sen 550 anime his first two questions were whether I had seen Full Metal Panic or Chrono Crusade and I had seen neither, and I felt stupid.

Anyway currently I've started El Cazador de la Bruja but this thread is still being quite helpful.
Old 2008-09-25, 14:37   Link #13
Nemuru

Lets see, some series I've been watching during my breaks.

Witch Hunter Robin
Kaleido Star season 1
Noein
Angelic Layer (someone already mention it ^^, second)

You should give these series a try.
Old 2008-09-25, 14:48   Link #14
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
Lets see, some series I've been watching during my breaks.

Witch Hunter Robin
Kaleido Star season 1
Noein
Angelic Layer (someone already mention it ^^, second)

You should give these series a try.
As mentioned, ti REALLY helps if you give a reason why I should watch them.
Old 2008-09-25, 20:59   Link #15
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

Angelic Layer produced by Bones and Clamp.The story itself is about

resourcefulness, ingenuity, and inner strength to pursue a goal and see it through.

Angelic Layer is colourful and fun anime.
Old 2008-09-25, 21:22   Link #16
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

lol I knew that much already. I've watched the first episode a while ago because of the Bones+Clamp combo but it seemed really uninteresting. Like Yugioh for girls or something.
Old 2008-09-25, 21:46   Link #17
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

How about Witch Hunter Robin? . Witch Hunter Robin is good supernatural

drama anime.It is also stylish,dark and mysterious,too.
Old 2008-09-25, 22:58   Link #18
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well without an updated list this is going to be pretty hard to nail animes that you haven't seen. However, as another person with a huge amount of anime seen, I can definitely sympathize with not having one as it can be quite time consuming and mentally exhausting in order to remember all the anime you have seen.

My suggestions will be well known ones that perhaps you have overlooked (I do this because I sometimes overlook good shows because they are popular).

Fate/Stay Night - Ok, it sounds like your typical magical show with it's grand adventure and all. Yet there is something I always felt that makes this show distinct compared to others like Shakugan no Shana. Not only does it not feel as kiddy as a show like that, but the adventure truly manages to draw you in. The main character, while being your typical self-righteous person who makes idiotic decisions, actually manages to draw sympathy from you. It is not one of the greatest shows of all time by any means, however it is certainly an exciting adventure that pulls you in and has great rewatch value.

Wolf's Rain - This is a flawed show. Why am I recommending you a flawed show? Because it is a special flawed show. It has some great scenes despite some drawn out episodes in the middle of it. I have always viewed it as an interesting take on an apopolectic world. I think you may have seen some episodes of this, but I must say it is definitely worth finishing as the ending does leave you with a satisfying taste in your mouth.

Ghost Hound - I think that you may have seen some episodes of this. It is defintely worth finishing if you have liked anime in the past such as Lain.

Samurai 7
- Have you ever seen the famous movie of Seven Samurai in black and white? Well this is an anime that takes the old great movie (A true master piece) and adapts it into a weird more futuristic world. This anime is not a true masterpiece, nor would I say it is great. I do think it is good and a nice little ride though. If you're bored you should give this a chance.

Last suggestion....

Yoshitaka Amano's 1001 Nights...

All I can say about it is that I've heard nothing but good from this, but is extremely obscure. I've heard it described as Fantasia (Disney work) but for adults. This does fill out the requirement of 26 episodes, as it is only 1 episode length of about 26 minutes, but I thought it might be something you might be interested in. It has only been released in Japan.

If you want me to start pulling out the obscure cards on you regarding 26 episode series, I'll do it when I have more time.
Old 2008-09-25, 23:00   Link #19
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

some notes on recs I ignored

Heat Guy J - I will try it out since you make it sound interesting and I've pretty much been avoiing just because of character designs

Gungrave - I intend to watch this.

Devilman Lady - I have seen the first episode that was so horrible me and m friend joked about it most of the way and laughed our asses off..... does it get better?

Puchi Puri - Well, the character designs are really attractive : O

Hell Girl - I HATED the first ep a lot. Dropped immediately, no intent to pick up.

Utawarerumono - I've actually gotten this recommendation enough times now that I feel like I have to try it.

Witch Hunter Robin - I could only find streams dubbed >_< might try whenever, though

anything not mentioned I've seen.

EDIT:

I will not watch FSN because not only have I heard only terrible things about it but I watched 15 minutes of an ep before and it was so shitastic that I was laughing like a madman.

Wolf's Rain/Ghost Hound/Samurai 7 - all three are shows I started, am interested in, and sort of have on the backburner

as for 1001 Nights, I don't like Yoshitaka Amano so haven't watched.
Old 2008-09-26, 00:54   Link #20
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
As mentioned, ti REALLY helps if you give a reason why I should watch them.

Hai hai,

Going to an anime convention today. saving it for space... will edit when I return xD

EDIT 1:
Now where do I begin

Witch Hunter Robin: probably one of the few series that I’ve enjoy from Sunrise production. Witch Hunter Robin tells a tale of a society where authorities discriminate against those with power (Witch craft), creating a unit of agent to apprehend renegade witches.
The main attraction to me is the pacing of the series and how it deals with the dilemma of those who’ve has awakened to their witch craft and a society where authority refuses to accept their existence.
Robin the main protagonist of the show is quite endearing both in duty and honour. As a witch herself she faces hardship as the plot unfolds and eventually the series becomes something more than your average witch of the week series.

Kaleido Star season 1: A mahou Shoujo with acrobatics that is both fun and captivating giving a sense of amazement. Kaleido Star is about a girl name Sora whose dream is to perform on the Kaleido Stage following her dream of becoming a performer inspired by her childhood when she saw a performance at Kaleido Star. One of Junichi Saito best work who has directed other anime such as Princess Tutu and recent title as Aria series.
Kaleido Star could be view as a slice of life as most of the series focuses on Sora’s hardship of becoming a performer but the of charm of this series comes from Sora’s determination and as a viewer each performance feels magical and mesmerising. Layla is quite an awesome character ^^.So if you’re into “feel good series” Kaleido Star is quite perfect in this manner.

Noein: artistic visual and a large cast of character. Noein weaves an intricate plot surrounding our cast in which the mannerism of time, space and parallel universe articulate the series. A good science fiction anime that I would recommend to anyone wanting a good plot that can be enjoyed at any age level.
The series doesn’t focus too heavily on the techno babble but creates a thrilling adventure with each episode while keeping it mysterious enough. The interaction and dilemma of characters interacting with their past self is an interesting point of the series, it’s something I don’t see often in anime.

Angelic Layer: A mix of shoujo and shounen, it’s quite an entertaining anime while the concept of people using Angels as tools for fighting in organised tournament sounds like a children anime I do find it emotional at times. As the meaning behind Angelic Layer is the bond between humans and their angels. Another feel good anime.

Sometimes I don’t know what to write and it comes out all muddle sometimes but I do hope you give these anime a try.

Last edited by Nemuru; 2008-09-26 at 09:52.
Closed Thread