AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 25 Rating
Perfect 10 133 39.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 81 24.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 9.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 27 8.08%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 2.99%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.20%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.90%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.30%
1 out of 10 : Painful 32 9.58%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-29, 19:34   Link #1521
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
Anybody can improve on a finished product. Nobody can do it perfect the first time through though.
There are plenty of works where it's planned right from the start and the results come out good as a result. You CAN improve on a finished product, but on a good one, it'd only be minor tweaks at most. Frontier is definitely not one of those series.

One of my friends put it best, Frontier suffers from being unable to find its own niche within the Macross franchise. It's a pain to watch because you have series in the franchise that exemplify both ends of the focus spectrum (SDF Macross for Story, Macross 7 for Characters/Interaction) and even one that manages to do both extremely well (Mac+). Seeing the characters and story handled so haphazardly is frustrating.

I kind of agree with the assessment that someone said earlier about Alto being a sort of VN protagonist. I agree in the sense that he's a character that lacks any sort of impact and particularly meaningful growth. It really doesn't work because as the focus of a show, a main character without the presence drags it down. The main character usually is also the basis to build the other characters on working to weave the individual stories and challenges together. So in that regard, I think Alto is perhaps the weak link of the show (though that doesn't change my hatred for Ranka). Then there's the story, but oh well.
Shouta is offline  
Old 2009-09-29, 19:40   Link #1522
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 36
Opinions really are a wonderful thing, no?
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2009-09-29, 19:42   Link #1523
Foreshadow
Nyaa~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Opinions really are a wonderful thing, no?
Not when they disagree with me

Seriously though, If Space whales has it's own niche in Macross, then Frontier certainly does as well.
Foreshadow is offline  
Old 2009-09-29, 19:46   Link #1524
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
There are plenty of works where it's planned right from the start and the results come out good as a result. You CAN improve on a finished product, but on a good one, it'd only be minor tweaks at most. Frontier is definitely not one of those series.

One of my friends put it best, Frontier suffers from being unable to find its own niche within the Macross franchise. It's a pain to watch because you have series in the franchise that exemplify both ends of the focus spectrum (SDF Macross for Story, Macross 7 for Characters/Interaction) and even one that manages to do both extremely well (Mac+). Seeing the characters and story handled so haphazardly is frustrating.

I kind of agree with the assessment that someone said earlier about Alto being a sort of VN protagonist. I agree in the sense that he's a character that lacks any sort of impact and particularly meaningful growth. It really doesn't work because as the focus of a show, a main character without the presence drags it down. The main character usually is also the basis to build the other characters on working to weave the individual stories and challenges together. So in that regard, I think Alto is perhaps the weak link of the show (though that doesn't change my hatred for Ranka). Then there's the story, but oh well.
I do agree with you about Alto. Unfortunately.

As for Frontier spoiling people about animation and the like, I still enjoy many shows from the 80's and 90's. I find the newest generation is usually the ones who have problems watching older(and in many ways superior) shows because of the antiquated style and animation.
__________________
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2009-09-29, 19:47   Link #1525
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
Not when they disagree with me

Seriously though, If Space whales has it's own niche in Macross, then Frontier certainly does as well.
I love Frontier to pieces, but even I would be happy if in the end itd only be remembered as "That Sheryl show".

ALL HAIL HER MAJESTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I do agree with you about Alto. Unfortunately.
I quite vehemently disagree. I lined out on the last page as to the particulars.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2009-09-29, 19:50   Link #1526
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Too bad, though, that we apparently ain't getting no space or mecha epic this season. I hope there'll be news on that front next season.
Oops, forgot to answer this one: there's always KIDDY GiRL-AND, dude. Two out of three ain't that bad, eh? And, oh, there's that Satelight studio, again... they sure do get around...
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2009-09-29, 20:02   Link #1527
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
The last comments in this thread give me the feeling that I have awakened monsters that had already been sealed.
Proto is offline  
Old 2009-09-29, 20:04   Link #1528
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 36
Oh, you have no idea how much worse things were here, some time ago...
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2009-09-29, 20:14   Link #1529
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
The last comments in this thread give me the feeling that I have awakened monsters that had already been sealed.
You have no idea.

- Tak (and I haven't even gotten started)
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2009-09-29, 20:23   Link #1530
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
I dunno, I was well-pleased with the result, on pretty much every front. Macross shows are usually not very deep or thoughtful or realistic...they're just interesting, a hell of a lot of fun, and sometimes have the power to move the viewer (in this case, me) deeply (generally when a character I like dies, or goes through some kind of heartbreak).

I can also think of no other title in anime that has the power to turn big, manly, mecha-loving guy's guys into gossipy matchmaking schoolgirls.

I think people who like Macross but complain about Frontier, though, are perhaps looking at it the wrong way. Like it or not, Frontier was a huge smash success...and a rising tide lifts all boats. Macross Chronicle! Macross Ace! A VF-1 Technical Manual! Yoko Kanno concerts! Macross crossover singles! A NEW FIRE BOMBER ALBUM!!

None of this would've been possible without Frontier. And so, while it's not exactly the most intellectually rigorous thing to do, I'm willing to give Frontier a pass on most of its faults.

All I know is that I was hooked on it while it was running, following it week by week; I've watched the whole series several times since then, and had a blast each time; and I certainly wouldn't have started my "Complete Macross Translation Project" if Frontier hadn't really captured my heart. It's not perfect, but I like it a lot, and I imagine it's something I'll rewatch often as the years go on.
Yot-chan is offline  
Old 2009-09-30, 19:52   Link #1531
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I'm not sure that I follow the earlier discussion on characterization. As I understand it, characterization has to do with the descriptive quality of the work, in terms of painting a picture about a given character. Impact, by contrast, is much more personal; you can find a character to be utterly unremarkable without it being a reflection on his/her characterization.

In Alto's case, while he isn't particularily exciting to watch as some of his fellow cast members, he certainly is as, if not more, detailed as the rest.

With regards to Sheryl, I don't think that her character development was focused around her aspirations; her belief in herself was strong from the outset. The real challenge that she faced was in learning to open up to and trust others, which is why her storyline in the second half is more focused on her interpersonal development than on her individual development.

In that sense, you could say that Ranka and Sheryl's character development take complimentary paths.
__________________
Swampstorm is offline  
Old 2009-09-30, 20:09   Link #1532
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
In that sense, you could say that Ranka and Sheryl's character development take complimentary paths.
You know, I never thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right. Sheryl has the confidence, but lacks a connection to the people around her. Ranka has the connections, but lacks the confidence.

Good observation.
Yot-chan is offline  
Old 2009-09-30, 21:57   Link #1533
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I love Frontier to pieces, but even I would be happy if in the end itd only be remembered as "That Sheryl show".

ALL HAIL HER MAJESTY!



I quite vehemently disagree. I lined out on the last page as to the particulars.
We'll just have to agree, to disagree magnuskn.
__________________
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2009-10-01, 04:05   Link #1534
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
We'll just have to agree, to disagree magnuskn.
Of course.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2009-10-23, 02:21   Link #1535
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Carolina, US
Age: 27
All in all, I thought this was a good ending to the show, although I can't say that I liked the fact that the love triangle was not resolved and left open... and why isn't there a season 2 or a Macross *insert new name here* to continue the story?!
__________________
HitagiIsHot is offline  
Old 2009-10-23, 02:24   Link #1536
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitagiIsHot View Post
All in all, I thought this was a good ending to the show, although I can't say that I liked the fact that the love triangle was not resolved and left open... and why isn't there a season 2 or a Macross *insert new name here* to continue the story?!
Two complimentary movies that apparently intend to follow up on the story, or to tell a different story by depending on the same premises are scheduled for November 2009 and sometime in 2010. Stay tuned. While you are at it, check out the Macross Movie thread.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline  
Old 2009-10-23, 02:29   Link #1537
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Carolina, US
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Two complimentary movies that apparently intend to follow up on the story, or to tell a different story by depending on the same premises are scheduled for November 2009 and sometime in 2010. Stay tuned. While you are at it, check out the Macross Movie thread.
Really? Sweet! Thank you for that information! I will definitely go check it out. Another thing I want to add about this episode is that the final battle is EPIC. Final battle + the song medley = awesomeness.
__________________
HitagiIsHot is offline  
Old 2009-10-23, 02:34   Link #1538
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitagiIsHot View Post
Really? Sweet! Thank you for that information! I will definitely go check it out. Another thing I want to add about this episode is that the final battle is EPIC. Final battle + the song medley = awesomeness.
See now, I hated the entire final episode. The battle was rushed, most of the loose ends were tied up way too easily, and the song medley gave me a head-ache. Too much to do, so little screen time left.

Don't even get me started on the unresolved love triangle.
__________________
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2009-10-23, 02:44   Link #1539
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Carolina, US
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
See now, I hated the entire final episode. The battle was rushed, most of the loose ends were tied up way too easily, and the song medley gave me a head-ache. Too much to do, so little screen time left.

Don't even get me started on the unresolved love triangle.
Agreed the unresolved love triangle was a no-no haha. That's too bad the song medley gave you a head-ache, I thought it was pretty appropriate given the scene although I will agree with you that it was and felt rushed. The graphics were really good though (for 2007 standards and even still pretty nice for 2009-2010).
__________________
HitagiIsHot is offline  
Old 2009-10-23, 03:56   Link #1540
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
See now, I hated the entire final episode. The battle was rushed, most of the loose ends were tied up way too easily, and the song medley gave me a head-ache. Too much to do, so little screen time left.
Really? That final battle was great is my opinion To me, it wasn't so much that it was rushed, just really fast paced while the medley backed it up. The medley was also great for me, although I gotta agree that the loose ends were tied up way too easily/conveniently.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.