AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Old 2009-11-14, 12:35   Link #2181
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
DAMMIT! That's the SAME EXACT theatre where I saw Eva 1.0 and 2.0...why couldn't I have done a time warp while I was there so I could be there for this???
Hey, about you be happy enough that you get to travel to Japan and be able to speak their language AT ALL?

Old 2009-11-14, 12:58   Link #2182
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Hey, about you be happy enough that you get to travel to Japan and be able to speak their language AT ALL?

Why should I do that, when it's much more satisfying to complain and be sullen?
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 13:07   Link #2183
magnuskn

Quote:
Why should I do that, when it's much more satisfying to complain and be sullen?
Alas, I'd be delighted to have the opportunities you have in regards to this. But, oh well, I'll have to live vicariously through your reports. If you happen to catch the movie sooner than we can somehow, I expect a very detailed recounting of it.
Old 2009-11-14, 13:34   Link #2184
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Alas, I'd be delighted to have the opportunities you have in regards to this. But, oh well, I'll have to live vicariously through your reports. If you happen to catch the movie sooner than we can somehow, I expect a very detailed recounting of it.
I doubt it...my best hope is to be living there by the time the second movie comes out; and then I can give a detailed account of that.

At first, I was thinking, "Well, I don't mind missing the first one in the theaters, since it's just a recap...the second movie is where it's at." But that doesn't really seem to be the case anymore, does it?
Old 2009-11-14, 14:20   Link #2185
magnuskn

Quote:
I doubt it...my best hope is to be living there by the time the second movie comes out; and then I can give a detailed account of that.

At first, I was thinking, "Well, I don't mind missing the first one in the theaters, since it's just a recap...the second movie is where it's at." But that doesn't really seem to be the case anymore, does it?
Yeah, who knows how the first movie will play out.

I still don't get why Kawamori & Co. think that a retelling one year after the series is a good thing. Weren't they happy with their own story?
Old 2009-11-14, 15:24   Link #2186
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Yeah, who knows how the first movie will play out.

I still don't get why Kawamori & Co. think that a retelling one year after the series is a good thing. Weren't they happy with their own story?
*cough*DYRL*cough*GundamMovieTrilogy*cough*TurnAGu ndamOneAndTwo*cough*

Really...I can't presume to read their minds, but I would imagine that A) Frontier was more successful than they imagined, and B) they really hadn't thought about a direct sequel.

As such, a retelling gives them a chance to keep the series in the public eye while buying time to work out where to go next (if anywhere). It also, of course, gives them a chance to rake in some more cash, but I find I can't really complain about that. We all want more Macross F, right? And they're giving us more. And, let's face it...television is a medium hampered by a lot of things...time constraints, budgets, deadlines...I doubt there is anyone working in television who sees an episode they worked on and hasn't thought, "Well, we could've done THAT bit better." Or "DAMMIT! We should've done THIS instead of THAT..."

I don't know. It might work, it might not. At the VERY least, even if the movie is no good, we've got a bunch of excellent new Sheryl music and some pretty interesting new costume and mecha designs.
Old 2009-11-14, 17:18   Link #2187
Bri

Iirc kawamori mentioned in an interview that he considers this type of movie a reward for the crews working on a studio satelight tv series and a thank you to the fans. This happened with Aquarion as well.

A movie has a more relaxed production schedule he said and allows the producers to wind down from the stress of the TV deadlines.

Can't really remember which one it was, but read a translation just before Frontier started.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 18:48   Link #2188
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I don't know. It might work, it might not. At the VERY least, even if the movie is no good, we've got a bunch of excellent new Sheryl music and some pretty interesting new costume and mecha designs.
& a end result to the love triangle. If you wanna believe Kawamori that is.
Old 2009-11-14, 19:43   Link #2189
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
& a end result to the love triangle. If you wanna believe Kawamori that is.
Well he did say that he'd make it "clear" Yeah, as clear as his love for the sky/VF-25.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 21:04   Link #2190
magnuskn

Quote:
Really...I can't presume to read their minds, but I would imagine that A) Frontier was more successful than they imagined, and B) they really hadn't thought about a direct sequel.

As such, a retelling gives them a chance to keep the series in the public eye while buying time to work out where to go next (if anywhere). It also, of course, gives them a chance to rake in some more cash, but I find I can't really complain about that. We all want more Macross F, right? And they're giving us more. And, let's face it...television is a medium hampered by a lot of things...time constraints, budgets, deadlines...I doubt there is anyone working in television who sees an episode they worked on and hasn't thought, "Well, we could've done THAT bit better." Or "DAMMIT! We should've done THIS instead of THAT..."

Yeah, in that interview he also said he has 2-3 new series in the work with completely new concept, so I kinda can't see a direct sequel happening, unless it is without him. And as for the "new concepts", I do hope they involve something more inspiring than basketball playing giant robots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Iirc kawamori mentioned in an interview that he considers this type of movie a reward for the crews working on a studio satelight tv series and a thank you to the fans. This happened with Aquarion as well.

A movie has a more relaxed production schedule he said and allows the producers to wind down from the stress of the TV deadlines.

Can't really remember which one it was, but read a translation just before Frontier started.
BTW, is Aquarion any good? I saw some images of it in the interview, I think, and the animation looked interesting.
Old 2009-11-14, 21:16   Link #2191
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Yeah, in that interview he also said he has 2-3 new series in the work with completely new concept, so I kinda can't see a direct sequel happening, unless it is without him. And as for the "new concepts", I do hope they involve something more inspiring than basketball playing giant robots...
...Or girl detectives who turn into animals...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=11028

Quote:
BTW, is Aquarion any good? I saw some images of it in the interview, I think, and the animation looked interesting.
If you like orgasms, you'll LOVE Aquarion! (Which is why most mecha fanboys hate it. )
Old 2009-11-14, 21:57   Link #2192
magnuskn

Quote:
...Or girl detectives who turn into animals...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=11028
Hm, but he ain't directing. At least that. ^^

Quote:
If you like orgasms, you'll LOVE Aquarion! (Which is why most mecha fanboys hate it. )
That sounds... interesting. Can you elaborate?
Old 2009-11-14, 22:10   Link #2193
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
That sounds... interesting. Can you elaborate?
Kimochiiii!!!

Old 2009-11-14, 22:18   Link #2194
magnuskn

Quote:
Kimochiiii!!!

OMG.

Okay, now I gotta watch at least some episodes.
Old 2009-11-14, 22:23   Link #2195
mike_s_6

Quote:
Kimochiiii!!!
I actually got to watch this with some friends, and our impression was like, "it's a trainwreck but you can't stop watching it..." Also, a lot of facepalming every time the orgasmic gattai happens. LOL :P
mike_s_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 22:33   Link #2196
Lostdreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
I actually got to watch this with some friends, and our impression was like, "it's a trainwreck but you can't stop watching it..." Also, a lot of facepalming every time the orgasmic gattai happens. LOL :P
wow, I applaud you. I thought surviving endless 8 was hard, but watching all of Aquarion is 10x worse.

Anyways, haven't been on these forums for a while, but when is the Macross movie coming out? I heard it was going to be out on November, but I haven't heard word of it.
Lostdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 22:41   Link #2197
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
wow, I applaud you. I thought surviving endless 8 was hard, but watching all of Aquarion is 10x worse.

Anyways, haven't been on these forums for a while, but when is the Macross movie coming out? I heard it was going to be out on November, but I haven't heard word of it.
On the 21st.
Old 2009-11-15, 04:30   Link #2198
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I do hope they involve something more inspiring than basketball playing giant robots...
I hope he does something completely off the wall. He just needs to pretend he's back in the 90s for that one though.

So i'm staying on topic, advertisements for the film are everywhere it seems. The Macross Frontier train is one of them.
Old 2009-11-15, 05:29   Link #2199
Seibee
Mwu Fangirl

Lol, I didn't know half of this stuff. Just found the Newtype spreads on Danbooru and thought 'WTF?' so I came here. Brera as Sheryl's bodyguard/butler is an interesting and kinda fun twist, though if they end up as a couple my brain might melt (another AltoxSheryl shipper over here).
Bah.
Seibee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 08:40   Link #2200
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Oh, c'mon people, Basquash wasn't THAT bad.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote