AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-10-02, 06:23   Link #161
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Well, kilroy, you do bring up some nice points. I, for one, would think that being in a relationship with one person is enough, to even want to bring another into it. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is: to me, polygamy is fine in some idealistic sort of way, but practically? If keeping one partner is difficult, more than one is even more.

I actually did some trying on this kinda model in my younger years (I'm Brazilian, I was a surfer, what can I say?) and it's not something I'd actually advocate, after seeing the results. Specially if the girls (in my case, not to say it would only happen with multiple women) are close even before the relationship starts. Ugly things tend to happen.
Yeah, yeah, the Brazilians. Good neighbours to us Paraguayans, except during that unpleasant spat in the eighteen hundreds. ^^
Old 2008-10-02, 07:19   Link #162
golthin

Quote:
Somehow, I still smell the trolling of the Hory Froating Head, concerning this bit of info. I mean, does anyone have the full interview, for us to peruse, anyway?

They posted the interview scan and a translation of what Kimowari said. Which is basically he coming down on people expecting the love triangle to conform with the current society expectations of having to pick one person. He doesn't mention anything about polygamy or polyamorous relationship. This is just people analysing his point of views as current western society only recognize Monogamous relationships( even though we have advanced to recognize homosexual relationships).
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 07:36   Link #163
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
They posted the interview scan and a translation of what Kimowari said. Which is basically he coming down on people expecting the love triangle to conform with the current society expectations of having to pick one person. He doesn't mention anything about polygamy or polyamorous relationship. This is just people analysing his point of views as current western society only recognize Monogamous relationships( even though we have advanced to recognize homosexual relationships).
People? I'm people now. Awesome. I didn't realize I had people. I don't even have Verizon.
kilroy0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 07:41   Link #164
mechabao

Quote:
I'd have to agree with everyone who thinks that Kawamori's just baiting people with that interview. The reason why I think that is simple: All of the events in the series completely contradict his statement and vice versa.
mechabao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 07:42   Link #165
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
I actually did some trying on this kinda model in my younger years (I'm Brazilian, I was a surfer, what can I say?) and it's not something I'd actually advocate, after seeing the results. Specially if the girls (in my case, not to say it would only happen with multiple women) are close even before the relationship starts. Ugly things tend to happen.
Wow, do I find myself to be alone in my old-fashioned sense of beliefs when it comes down to a relationship, where I tend to value equality, understanding and mutual love between two individuals probably higher than anything else. Its just wrong for me to even think of the opposite gender as a ventilation for my sexual frustration.

But, getting back on the interview, Kawamori stated the stereotype for society and its respect for a relationship, but what he did not say, is that he actually would advocate anything beyond that. In fact, I think he intentionally made it ambiguous. That sly ol' bastard!

In any case, its kind of sad that we are all jumping on the love triangle. I mean, guys, this is Macross, its really about space battles and epic dog fights. The triangle is a secondary by-product. Yes yes, I realize that Kawamori did intentionally get us all excited about the triangle, but ... ugh, I don't know what to say any more. He got us good, that is all I have to say.

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 07:46   Link #166
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Talking

@magnuskn: I love Paraguay. Went four times, in my teens, along with trips to Iguašu Falls.

@golthin: I know we had a translation... but there was a good amount of text in that image, so, was that ALL he said? And was the interview only that page?

@kilroy0097: LOLZ!!!1!1!one

Edit ADD: Tak, don't feel too bad, if other opinions don't seem to suit you. I actually agree with your view, after having seen what's it like on the other side of these things. Monogamy FTW.
As for the LT in the anime, I can only say that I'm okay with how it was portrayed and how it ended. I just wished we could see more from the characters in the upcoming movie, and not some rehash of what we've already seen. And, hey, it's not even clear if that's what we're getting, so I'm all good.

Last edited by BetoJR; 2008-10-02 at 07:51. Reason: Tak's response
BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 07:58   Link #167
magnuskn

Quote:
@magnuskn: I love Paraguay. Went four times, in my teens, along with trips to Iguašu Falls.
Brazil is excellent, too.

Quote:
Edit ADD: Tak, don't feel too bad, if other opinions don't seem to suit you. I actually agree with your view, after having seen what's it like on the other side of these things. Monogamy FTW.
As for the LT in the anime, I can only say that I'm okay with how it was portrayed and how it ended. I just wished we could see more from the characters in the upcoming movie, and not some rehash of what we've already seen. And, hey, it's not even clear if that's what we're getting, so I'm all good.
Even if we get a movie which is a retelling, we will probably get OVAs with a continuation of the series storyline soon after that. But the wait, oh gods, the wait!
Old 2008-10-02, 08:14   Link #168
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Even if we get a movie which is a retelling, we will probably get OVAs with a continuation of the series storyline soon after that. But the wait, oh gods, the wait!
Will we? Somehow I'm starting to doubt that, even if just a little bit. But... I understand that this series seems to be doing quite alright in terms of monies, be it from the DVD's/Blu-Ray's or assorted merchandise, so... maybe we will get more. I just wish we knew about it already.

And I reiterate: making a rehash of this story so soon after it ended, is a pure End of Evangelion-like mistake. I mean, even Macross Plus in movie form took about a whole year or more, no?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 08:33   Link #169
magnuskn

Quote:
Will we? Somehow I'm starting to doubt that, even if just a little bit. But... I understand that this series seems to be doing quite alright in terms of monies, be it from the DVD's/Blu-Ray's or assorted merchandise, so... maybe we will get more. I just wish we knew about it already.

And I reiterate: making a rehash of this story so soon after it ended, is a pure End of Evangelion-like mistake. I mean, even Macross Plus in movie form took about a whole year or more, no?
Well, just look at M7. Lot┤s of OVAs.

OTOH, Macross Plus had no more, but then again it was an OVA to begin with. Same with Zero.

So, yeah, I┤d say several OVAs. I┤d love a second season, but sadly those ain't as usual for Japanese anime series as with American TV series.
Old 2008-10-02, 08:49   Link #170
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary Send a message via Skype™ to forgottendiary
Quote:

Ugh!!! Wrong keyword!!!! You know how itchy my brain is whenever I see those 3 words.

I'm so sorry I keep doing this to you

@sales

It was being talked about at macrossuki how sales of MF products have been declining and the show's rating going down the ladder.
Old 2008-10-02, 09:34   Link #171
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
It was being talked about at macrossuki how sales of MF products have been declining and the show's rating going down the ladder.
Declining since the last ep, or since when?
Old 2008-10-02, 09:37   Link #172
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
In any case, its kind of sad that we are all jumping on the love triangle. I mean, guys, this is Macross, its really about space battles and epic dog fights. The triangle is a secondary by-product. Yes yes, I realize that Kawamori did intentionally get us all excited about the triangle, but ... ugh, I don't know what to say any more. He got us good, that is all I have to say.

- Tak
Considering how much you were pushing for Sheryl to win the Triangle and all the arguments, debates and discussions you had on the subject of the LT, I find it funny that you post now that emphasis on space battles and epic dog fights should be the focus. Just funny is all.
kilroy0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 09:38   Link #173
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary Send a message via Skype™ to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Declining since the last ep, or since when?
since the last ep
Old 2008-10-02, 09:41   Link #174
grss1982

kresphy over at MW posted somehting about a magazine article about MF Movie:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.ph...2&#entry666582

Anyone care to translate?
Old 2008-10-02, 09:41   Link #175
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal Send a message via Skype™ to abynormal
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised, now that the series is over. Japanese consumers tend to move on very quickly to the next big thing once a series is over. When I was over there, not a couple of weeks after Pretty Cure 5 ended, the amount of merchandise for it dwindled to a shadow of its former retail glory. Same thing with Gurren Lagann. Once it was over, merchandise was hard to find even in stores that resold merchandise like Animate.
abynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 09:44   Link #176
magnuskn

Quote:
since the last ep
Well, d'oh. I think a lot of people were as excited as us about the show ending the romance aspect on an epic note, and were just as deeply disappointed about Kawamori letting all of us hanging.

Hopefully that makes SK reconsider a bit.
Old 2008-10-02, 09:58   Link #177
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
People? I'm people now. Awesome. I didn't realize I had people. I don't even have Verizon.
Not just you! other people have mentioned the "poly" thing. It was not directed at you,
Old 2008-10-02, 10:04   Link #178
golthin

Quote:
Considering how much you were pushing for Sheryl to win the Triangle and all the arguments, debates and discussions you had on the subject of the LT, I find it funny that you post now that emphasis on space battles and epic dog fights should be the focus. Just funny is all.
people get tired, honestly this is getting so tiresome. I really hope they "officialy" resolve the LT to get over it and people can move on. even though many sheryl's fans are claiming victory just going by what happened in episodes 22 thru 24, deep inside they know it is not "official".
Old 2008-10-02, 10:08   Link #179
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Just want to make sure that my second point is read correctly. I don't feel that the characters in the Love Triangle (Alto, Sheryl and Ranka) would support a polyamorous relationship. Because of this opinion, I believe there should resolution on the love triangle. I was merely elaborating on what I think Kawamori might be hinting at and giving insight into his possible thought process.

Cheers.
I agree with what you said. Not even one episode suggested that either Sheryl or Ranka could agree on a three person relationship. Furthermore, all of their lines, especially in the last episode suggest otherwise. Sheryl as well as Ranka were never pertained to have such tendencies and neither was Alto. I'm completely not satisfied with the ending simply because all of the build up development between characters resulted is a small 'puff' rather then in a loud 'bang'.

The main problem I see is the there is simply no ground in the series for the characters to accept such an outcome. Even they confirm that there is no way they will let this end like this. Why would a director create such an ending? If he was pro-polygamy he should have given the characters potential to be able to accept it. I'm taking Kawamori's statement as another troll as what he said contradicts what he directed.

Quote:
Noticed that too and it really is a bit amusing

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 11:59   Link #180
magnuskn

Quote:
people get tired, honestly this is getting so tiresome. I really hope they "officialy" resolve the LT to get over it and people can move on. even though many sheryl's fans are claiming victory just going by what happened in episodes 22 thru 24, deep inside they know it is not "official".
And who gave you the right to speak for me?

I know it┤s not "official", because we will probably get more OVAs made of the series. So of course the triangle will be revived, because getting an "official" resolution will be a big part of what sells those OVAs. D'oh.

But in case that this would be all, I am 100% certain that Alto would stay with Sheryl.

What fills me with sadness is the fact that the fans probably would have been totally satisfied with a "no second guessing" ending, giving Kawamori the chance to let the Sheryl X Alto relationship happen in the background and having Ranka develop a bit more.