AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-04, 23:26   Link #81
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, my interest is piqued. Certainly the character models are not specially interesting, but the plot and the setting really, really piqued my interest, so I'm craving for the next episode to see how this continues. Yup, this has the Proto seal of a approval as a worthy ep. 1 of a plot oriented series. I'd be grateful if they take care to develop the characters though.

Having 7arcs doing the production and Angela doing the vocals for the intro and outro song really helps too.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-04-05 at 00:12. Reason: ninja edit
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 23:45   Link #82
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

It's great to hear Rie Tanaka back with her Suigintou-like voice XD.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 00:32   Link #83
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

I wasn't really expecting much from this, but it seems fairly interesting from the get go. Characters are generic so far (busty miko...), but the premise is alright.
The 'ghost girl and normal guy' dynamic is pretty natural too. Also, Rie Tanaka as gun-toting glasses-girl? I am so there.

Oh the mecha seem fairly well-designed too.

One thing bothered me, overall, the main character's hair. That lock hanging from the right side of his face is really distracting. I'll even concede his huge ahoge as a legitimate choice in his design, but that lock of hair is unforgivable.

qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 00:40   Link #84
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Interesting, episode one was definatly an attention grabber.

I tend to like the atmospere of this kind of anime, all the characters seem to have much room for developement, and things just felt right given the story we are presented.

Although, if some sort of triangle developes, I shall be rooting for the miko, as given what we see of her protecting Tomo in the op, and her personality(s?) i tend to like characters like her.

Though the ghost girl is certainly nice too. Very friendly.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 00:40   Link #85
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Strangest school uniforms for a while, too.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 00:52   Link #86
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Oh, yeah I forgot, I love school uniforms when everyone looks like a Nazi SS officer... Those little fleur-de-lis or crosses or whatever were just made to be Photoshopped into swastikas.
Thanks for reminding me, Enzo.

Another gripe (only a small one):
Spoiler for whining for the sake of it:

Old 2009-04-05, 01:22   Link #87
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Let me join the praising group ... I really liked the first episode, it shows a lot of promise. I had very different expectation in the beginning (due to my mistralations, still my japanese suck ).

Anyway, character design were quite nice, animation was decent and the BGM was fitting. What I was more interesting was the characterization and this rare feature, absent in most series, called plot.

Also gets extra points for the Ciel-clone and the odd-eyed miko. I shouldn't forget to mention that the male lead is not annoying (also a very rare occurrence lately) and that the ghost (which by now I guess most have realized that she is not actually dead, probably trapped in that mecha or something similar) was quite fun and really behaved like a childhood friend (at least as I can remember them).

On the downside, why a mecha cropped out of the shadows and that damned techno-bubble about black holes ... Schwarzschild, anyone?! It reminded me the only blame I could put on Kannatsuki no Miko ... MECHA

A couple of other things that were mentioned are that it felt like all the guns were shooting rubber bullets against humans and exploding rounds against items, while all four groups strategy was just a mindless rush!

But in the end judging only from the first episode the positives outweight the negatives.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 01:22   Link #88
Siegel Clyne

If I recall correctly, Asura Cryin' is a 2-cour series (24-26 episodes).
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 01:39   Link #89
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
<snip>

Another gripe (only a small one):
Spoiler for whining for the sake of it:
Spoiler for ep.1:

I actually liked the lock of hair.
Old 2009-04-05, 01:42   Link #90
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

I got the demon references, however only one character was explicitly shown as having a magical barrier.
Spoiler for ep 1:

Old 2009-04-05, 01:49   Link #91
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
I got the demon references, however only one character was explicitly shown as having a magical barrier.
Spoiler for ep 1:
Spoiler for ep.1:
Old 2009-04-05, 01:58   Link #92
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Okay, I've rewatched that scene, and they're definitely rubber bullets (i.e non-lethal). Listen to when they bounce on the floor, they sound like squash balls.

I still think they didn't have a barrier, but I'll hold off making the call until some concrete information on the tech/magic comes up.

Old 2009-04-05, 01:59   Link #93
zetsubou-san
suicidal self-flagellator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Strangest school uniforms for a while, too.
Not unlike something the Waffen SS would come up with.

All they have to do is change the crosses on the "armbands" to swastikas...
zetsubou-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 02:06   Link #94
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
I forgot to mention, but I am sure there is more to the ghost girl than just the "her body is barely alive in another place" scenario.

The flashbacks..Tough life? Do whatever he needs to do to return her to life? I think the real question is just what he needs to do, and I am sure its something with heavy consequences, so will he be able to do it in the end?

This is what I look forward to seeing in the plot.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 02:39   Link #95
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I thought the uniforms looked fine. Though the designers definitely decided to toss crosses wherever they could fit them .
Old 2009-04-05, 05:39   Link #96
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I thought the uniforms looked fine. Though the designers definitely decided to toss crosses wherever they could fit them .
Yeah i also liked the school uniforms. Fit quite nicely into the OP visuals.
Old 2009-04-05, 06:14   Link #97
Chase

Watched the first episode. Ok animation thus far. Excellent OP and the ED was ok. Characters seemed interesting and enjoyable to watch. You got a good sense of plot in the first episode as well. Everything was pretty good to me. Definitely will continue to watch this.

Overall: 8.5

No, Seed does not define what a Gundam show should be like.

Picking a Gundam over a Princess is not a bad idea, Princess+singing can get you killed
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 08:17   Link #98
evil-samurai

Better than I thought, you know its sometimes just nice when the two main characters just get along, and hey they are both pretty likable as well! Nice job of explaining the story while keeping some mystery to it, looks like they have a fair bit to work with makes me feel more optimistic with the show. Excellent touch with the Back ground music right towards the end of the episode. Everything is looking great, looking forward to more!

Spoiler for Freebie gifs:
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 09:03   Link #99
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-samurai View Post
Better than I thought, you know its sometimes just nice when the two main characters just get along, and hey they are both pretty likable as well! Nice job of explaining the story while keeping some mystery to it, looks like they have a fair bit to work with makes me feel more optimistic with the show. Excellent touch with the Back ground music right towards the end of the episode. Everything is looking great, looking forward to more!
Yeah it isn't bad when the leads just get along. You can actually feel the friendship that exists there. It probably helps that they both have good personalities.
Quote:
Be happy to use this one. Just a great expression .
Old 2009-04-05, 09:23   Link #100
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-samurai View Post
I want this one!

I liked this first episode. It's not quite too confusing, but I'm asking lots of questions. A few are indeed getting answered! So I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Tags
fantasy, shounen