AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-05, 23:16   Link #281
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Thats why I said untypical didn't I?

Characters like Horo or Asuka or Taiga can be considered a tsundere's but again this does nort mean they are just that. However they do partially match the tag even if the tag fails to capture everything about them.

Like Horo and Asuka can flirt for their own amusement to lure innocent sheeps (Lawrence or Shinji) with them this way hiding their true feelings (though in Asuka's case things are even more complex than in Horo's). Tsundere doesnt mena screaming around - it means hiding one's true feelings and there are different ways of doing that. Most usual anger and screaming but there are others too, so I do think that Horo can be classified as a tsundere character even if that tag fails short to capture the full beauty of her character it hsows general direction and thats what tags are needed for anyway. Bad is that anime or character that completely fills under a tag...

I think there is adenial in Horo though - denial to become sheep for a while... She says that wolf cannot become a sheep but the truth is that she was happy when she was soiled little sheep princess with Lawrence... and it also seemed to worry her how actually happy she was so that she did not dwell further on the issue but let it slip away instead.

She is definitely very mature but she is still hiding herself from Lawrence and in a sense from herself (though it is more not willing to think about it and just enjoy what the moment of the present brings).
Old 2009-05-05, 23:34   Link #282
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Horo's Tsundere-ness is tough to call. Really makes you wonder the definition of 'tsundere'. I've always thought the defining trait of tsundere is self-reliance. Horo may not be as obvious an example as Saber or Shana, but she does have a tendency to keep her emotions to herself due to her own pride, which is halfway to tsundere. The other half is overcoming this pride with the help of other characters, in this case, Lawrence. The fact that Horo suffers occasional emotional breakdowns is sign enough that she has issues she doesn't talk about, the tsudere part is when she learns to trust others with her problems.

In other news, I love tsunderes.
Old 2009-05-05, 23:41   Link #283
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

People love to argue over classifications and labels, particularly when a character is more complicated than one archetype covers.

Horo's pride definitely a checkmark as is her inner "creaminess" for tsundere qualities. However, her social skills are unusual. And she isn't a "linear tsundere" in the old visual novel style.

Meh, I don't really care either way .... I suppose you could plot Horo at towards the edge of the tsundere circle on an "archetype map".
Old 2009-05-06, 16:30   Link #284
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Thats why I said untypical didn't I?
I wasn't really directing towards you, I was just speaking in general towards the topic of Horo being labled a Tsundere.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2009-05-06 at 16:42.
Old 2009-05-10, 00:27   Link #285
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Horo's Tsundere-ness is tough to call. Really makes you wonder the definition of 'tsundere'.
Because... she is not an archetypal character you can define with just a word?

Isn't that a good thing? To have a complex character for a change?

I just hope she doesn't come back as the shitty version of herself they portrayed in S2 episode 0. Now that is a typical, crappy tsundere character you can define with a single word.

In other words, I hate stereotypical characters.

PS: Sorry if I sound angry, I'm still disgusted by what they did with episode 0.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2009-05-10, 02:36   Link #286
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Umm WanderingKnight, you did read the novel chapter from which the episode comes right?

Then if you did, you have to admit that anime didn't change THAT much. They increased her moeness to some level but a big part came from original. Its just that we never see what Horo thinks and thus she seems more distant, cooler character but in a close up she can be bit moe and tsundere-ish.

She does seem bit less witty but again - blame it on bad health and that anime did cut some dialogs out.
Old 2009-05-10, 10:28   Link #287
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
As I said in the other thread, if the novel portrays her exactly like this, then something's very wrong with the novel, too.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2009-05-10, 16:42   Link #288
Lightly_Toasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
As I said in the other thread, if the novel portrays her exactly like this, then something's very wrong with the novel, too.
I disagree, as the novel is able to show so much more of what each character is thinking. One part hey left out in the episode was Horo Comparing Lawrence to a sheep.
Spoiler for Vol 7 Chp 3:
Old 2009-05-12, 22:32   Link #289
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Hmm...maybe I'll skip a bit (I mean a lot) and go ahead and read that chapter. I'd like to get at more parts like that if they left some out.
Old 2009-05-12, 22:50   Link #290
Xacual
The color of a Hero

It's not really skipping anything, the story in volume 7 takes place right after the events of season 1 but before they left the city.
Old 2009-05-12, 22:54   Link #291
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Yeah, I didn't mean skp material. Just actual volumes, cause I'm still on volume 1.
Old 2009-05-31, 10:09   Link #292
Kaguya
an idler

Ep1 was screened in the Hororon festival II.
It seems that an animation quality is quite good according to the rumor.
It is said that even the scene where Horo and Lawrence have a silly conversation is animated well.
It did not have an opening theme song yet.

Spoiler for pictures from ep1:

Last edited by Kaguya; 2009-06-04 at 15:17.
Old 2009-05-31, 10:30   Link #293
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Looks nicer than I expected. I love Horo's expression in the first image. Background scenary also looks very well done.
Old 2009-05-31, 18:28   Link #294
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Confidence improved by those screen caps..... and its a whole month+ to July....
Old 2009-06-02, 03:33   Link #295
RayzorFang
APRIL APRIL APRIL

AHHHHHHHHH...........
Ok must concentrate on final exams
Looks very good, very very good
I thought there was a discussion about the opening and ending themes on the official site's blog. In any case its as Vexx put it, a whole month till it airs...
Old 2009-06-02, 10:23   Link #296
FTGT

Thank you very much for the pictures Kaguya. Im totally relieved. :]
Horo looks great again. ^^
Old 2009-06-03, 22:42   Link #297
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

oohh looking good, naked Horo always (b^_^)b
Old 2009-06-04, 08:07   Link #298
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
It seems that an animation quality is quite good according to the rumor.
Good to hear, animation quality was the worse thing about the first season and with Brains Base being a much better studio than IMAGIN it would pretty disappointing if there wasn't an improvement.
Old 2009-06-04, 15:37   Link #299
Kaguya
an idler

Episode 1: A wolf and an accidental crack

Broadcasting day: July 8 (1:00 on July 9) /(GMT: 16:00 on July 8)

Spoiler for novel:

Last edited by Kaguya; 2009-06-07 at 11:29.
Old 2009-06-10, 11:01   Link #300
M.Marangio

The homepage http://www.spicy-wolf.com/top.html was updated today.

The changes include the broadcasting schedule, the main cast and staff as well as the video section.
Closed Thread