AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-11-30, 12:31   Link #101
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I'm personally a very, very big PC game player, so Windows XP is a must. It's just a hassle to go through Wine or whatever and get only patchy performance playing PC games in other operating systems. Naturally, considering the state of the PC game market (it's practically dying, despite some blockbusters -- when was the last time you see a decent RPG not produced by Bioware, who themselves are moving towards console? Yeah), I'm not surprised there's not much effort to accommodate this.
It's not about lack of effort. There's lots of effort being poured in the Wine project, they're just fighting an uphill battle. Unless companies start looking at Linux as a potential market, they'll always have to deal with reverse-engineering Windows libraries and APIs. It's a really messy work.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 18:05   Link #102
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

It might help with the gaming when they sort out the mess that is the sound. Roll on a more mature pulse please!
Old 2008-11-30, 18:54   Link #103
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Pulseaudio seems to be glitch-free in the latest release of Fedora, or so I've heard.

BTW, I've never experienced any issues with audio playback from multiple sources using ALSA, but it might just be my sound card (which is a standard onboard one, but still).

Old 2008-11-30, 21:43   Link #104
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Pulseaudio seems to be glitch-free in the latest release of Fedora, or so I've heard.
It is glitch-free only in name. On my machine in Fedora 10 if something consumes a lot of CPU time sound starts skipping. Every time a sound starts playing it skips for the first 5-6 seconds of the audio.

If I reconfigure alsa to not redirect to pulseaudio then the skipping issue disappears. Unfortunately dmix isn't configured so only a single app can play sound at once. If I really cared I'd configure dmix but I almost never use the machine for playing audio.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 06:55   Link #105
grey_moon

Once pulse becomes more stable and especially in terms of dev environments the world would be a lot better for gamers.

Also graphics is a mess, Intel bless their cotton socks even though they are more open then the rest, they have a huge issue with cedega/wine/crossover and EXA.

My money is on the OpenPandora or the following might spur industry to get their fingers out, although the gp2x didn't seem to do much

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/01...s_new_console/
Old 2008-12-01, 13:51   Link #106
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
It's not about lack of effort. There's lots of effort being poured in the Wine project, they're just fighting an uphill battle. Unless companies start looking at Linux as a potential market, they'll always have to deal with reverse-engineering Windows libraries and APIs. It's a really messy work.
In the arena of "use what works" ... I tend to use Linux (Ubuntu lately) for my "working machine" and an XP (or Vista, bleh) machine for my gaming machine.

Lately my gaming machine is more of an "upgradeable console with a keyboard" than any sort of device for much else.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 02:24   Link #107
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

I feel that you should always have two OS on your computer, unless your computer has unusually low stats.

The best is to have Windows and Ubuntu.

I don't know if you like Vista or not, but I'm fine with Vista. (Then again, I don't play any games on my computer and I have Norton 360 and my defrag running every fortnight) XP is fine too.

Most applications work best on Windows, so keep it there.

Ubuntu is the best of Linux OSes, as it's easier to setup and use. Its help support community is large enough too.

I never liked Fedora, however.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 12:13   Link #108
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally, something that all PC users can laugh about to Mac Users.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7760344.stm

There goes Apple claims that Mac never gets Virus and their users smug superiority to PC users!!
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 12:21   Link #109
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
There goes Apple claims that Mac never gets Virus and their users smug superiority to PC users!!
Don't fall for all that sales chaft. All OSs have their own malware and vulnerabilities* and tbh linux ones are far more devastating. For the nix it is rootkits that are the bane of our lives, bad guys might compromise 1000s of MS pcs to act as zombies, but you can bet that they have compromised a nix box somewhere to act as the bot herder. A rooted nix box on a network is like having swiss army knife crack tool to bugger up even more resources.

*of course the nature of a xp or even vista box equals how easy it is to compromise the box
Old 2008-12-02, 17:16   Link #110
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I feel that you should always have two OS on your computer, unless your computer has unusually low stats.
"Unusually low stats"? What the hell does that mean?

(BTW, I have no Windows partition installed and I do just fine).

PS: I just pictured an RPG'ized version of a PC... lol

Old 2008-12-02, 19:11   Link #111
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Finally, something that all PC users can laugh about to Mac Users.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7760344.stm

That article on their support site has been around for years. They just updated it recently with newer version numbers. They also used to supply AV software to their .mac customers. Apple used to recommend AV software back before OS X even. This isn't news.

It also doesn't change the fact that still almost no malware exists for platforms other than Windows.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 04:54   Link #112
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
It also doesn't change the fact that still almost no malware exists for platforms other than Windows.
That is not quite correct, MALicious softWARE does exist for other OSs, but they are different from MS ones.

Bring up a nix server on a public facing address and just watch your logs fill up with attempts on known php flaws, ssh, ftp(s/es of course) yada yada...

The way I see it, it is split it up into 2 areas:

OS attacks - Attacks based on services, this includes desktops such as the RPC flaw on windows.

User attacks - Exploiting user behaviour (social engineering)

Of course the two are interlinked as OS attacks are normally solved by users doing the patch thing, or users behaviour being compromised by OS vulnerabilities.

Now consider do these attacks exist on Macs and nix? Of course they do. But why is there so much more malware for Windows? I think we all know that due to the outofthebox nature of windows (admin rights) makes it much more vulnerable to user attacks then nix or macs.

Now this gives the attacker much more attack vectors then they would with an outofthebox nix or mac.

Now consider the goal of the attacker. They may wish to make a name for themselves, most likely nowadays they want to make money. So they do it via planting spyway, or take control of a resource as a zombie for ddos (I have heard rumours of them being used as HPC nodes for password cracking...). With this in mind who will they attack?

The news about Macs and AV, apart from being nice to Windows users by not forwarding on viruses via email; IMHO is all about someone making money with fear and subscriptions. Now if they were advising in the way of the following tutorial by IBM then I would be impressed:
Harden Your Desktots

*EDIT*
Looks like the Apple marketing machine realises what endorsing av might do to their strategy

http://www.macworld.com/article/1372...usremoved.html

*EDIT2*
Another reason for more malware affecting windows users is back to user land and this potentially would affect any os

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12...tching_survey/

Last edited by grey_moon; 2008-12-03 at 11:53.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 06:14   Link #113
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
"Unusually low stats"? What the hell does that mean?
Like 0.5 GB RAM, less than 40 GB internal storage size, you get the idea...
Old 2008-12-03, 07:35   Link #114
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
Like 0.5 GB RAM, less than 40 GB internal storage size, you get the idea...
The average first gen netbook
Old 2008-12-03, 07:48   Link #115
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
The average first gen netbook
Yep. My point exactly - don't even try to partition a netbook for Windows + Linux. It will drive you mad.
Old 2008-12-03, 11:33   Link #116
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
Yep. My point exactly - don't even try to partition a netbook for Windows + Linux. It will drive you mad.
Looking forward to the next gen eeepc. Should be tablet with dual core atom and out early next year if rumours are true. *drools*
Old 2008-12-03, 16:58   Link #117
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Why? I mean, what does RAM or processing power exactly have to do with dual booting?

The only constraint I see on a low-end PC with regards to dual booting is hard drive space. But then again, my Ubuntu root partition is only 10 GB (and it's about 50% full). I could easily fit that and a small Windows XP partition into a 20 GB disk, with another shared partition for files. Hell, my mom's Debian PC only has 2 GB of hard drive space, and the whole OS fits nicely into 600 MB.

Other than hard drive space, OSes don't share any part of the machine.

PS: I've had 512 MB of RAM until about three weeks ago, and I've always had at least two Linux distributions installed on my PC.

Old 2008-12-03, 17:23   Link #118
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Linux is wonderous for extending the life of old machines that don't merit hardware upgrades. I have a couple of machines I'm "linux-izing" (Ubuntu 8.10) at the moment for a non-profit jobs center to use (though I think they're just as enamored with the Ubuntu-tan wallpaper I use. They love it that a dark-skinned lass is a mascot).

Source:
http://www.jkhp.it/OS-tan/desktops.htm
(Ubuntu-tan various sizes at bottom of page)
Old 2008-12-03, 18:45   Link #119
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

[QUOTE=Vexx;2087710](though I think they're just as enamored with the Ubuntu-tan wallpaper I use. They love it that a dark-skinned lass is a mascot).

Which country is that? I've never heard people going gaga over Ubuntu-tan. (But, I've heard about it for Knoppix-tan...)
Old 2008-12-03, 20:50   Link #120
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I live in the USA. The jobs center I'm doing the work for is in a part of my city mostly populated by and run by people who are "black" (afro-american heritage) and they just think its nice to see someone like her as a mascot character for a change. I happen to think she's cute as well, she's in my rotation of desktop paper for my Ubuntu boxes.