AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 67 24.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 35.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 58 21.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 9.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 5.51%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 1.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.74%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-29, 10:51   Link #221
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
Well, he did come after Sheryl in the 24th episode, didn't he? Without anyone prodding or suggesting it, right? Too bad nothing really came out of it (other than slight insinuations and perceived homages to past series/movies) - even if I'm okay with it.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 10:58   Link #222
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Well, he did come after Sheryl in the 24th episode, didn't he? Without anyone prodding or suggesting it, right? Too bad nothing really came out of it (other than slight insinuations and perceived homages to past series/movies) - even if I'm okay with it.
Just to add a bit of info..and Alto comes after Ranka in episode 25 too when Ranka is trapped inside the Galaxy (well he has to XD) and he approaches to both of the girls in the last scene

Well, He even approaches to Grace, but for all the different reason
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 11:04   Link #223
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
That's not the meaning of Flyvedelta's question, mate. Just to be clear.
Alto went after Ranka to save her - it was in no way a romantic approach. Whereas even you cannot deny that the occurrence I pointed out was just such one - hell, there was even a kiss, there (and Sheryl's "let's stop the lovers' game" is an adorable line to fuel up speculation, as well).
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 11:12   Link #224
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
I know the meaning of Flyvedelta's question...I just happened to think of something which I thought was funny and just posted my thought (obviously I think my "funny" remark has failed horribly)

Well, rescue mission can be really romantic, like the one in Macross Zero, Laputa: Castle in the Sky (even tho they were kids), and in a lot of other animes , etc...but then I guess you would question me if the rescue mission on Ranka was romantic...to that question, I would say it is depended on viewers XD

Another Funny thought:
Sheryl: let's stop the lover's game
Alto: Wait, I.....never want to be a lover with you....

(Apparently this is not even funny either...but I just had to post it...)

Last edited by justavisitor; 2008-10-29 at 11:22.
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 11:56   Link #225
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
Not to make too fine a point here, yes, rescue operations can be romantic - but that was hardly the case here. IMHO, of course. And, still, even if you phail at the funny, it doesn't detract from the point I was originally trying to make, now does it?
To be quite honest, I wouldn't question your opinion on that particular rescue scene - if, and only if, you don't question the romance clearly present at the scene I originally cited, before your reply. Okay?

Even if I do find the "rescue" from the premier episode way more probable of being characterized as anywhere near romantic.

And you're right: your other funny thought? Phail, as well.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 13:32   Link #226
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
@BetoJR:

I never want to question the "romantic" scene you suggest in episode 24 (whether I agree or not), so don't worry...and I never did in my previous post, right? I just said, "to add a bit more info"...XD

I have way more funny thought, like Sheryl cure is not permanent, she needs medicine (aka Slap) from Ranka 3 times per day...but seeing how I constantly fail at making jokes, I better stop XD
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 16:18   Link #227
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Well, he did come after Sheryl in the 24th episode, didn't he? Without anyone prodding or suggesting it, right? Too bad nothing really came out of it (other than slight insinuations and perceived homages to past series/movies) - even if I'm okay with it.
Not just 24.

All along the ride he pretty much volunteered to go along with Sheryl by accident or otherwise since episode 6. The same cannot be said about Ranka.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 16:24   Link #228
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Not just 24.

All along the ride he pretty much volunteered to go along with Sheryl by accident or otherwise since episode 6. The same cannot be said about Ranka.

- Tak
Same can be said about Ranka tho

Example: Alto had to climb between buildings to reach Ranka's apartment, and Ranka calls Alto 3am in the morning, and Alto runs tho the long stairs to meet Ranka XD
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 16:34   Link #229
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 33
The thing about Alto's in episode 24, is that he uses a flying analogy that Sheryl understands as an ambiguous confession after hearing his conversation with Klan. So she gets it wrong. That, and she's too scared to hear it all out regardless of what Alto is trying to say.

In other words, the closest thing to an actual confession in the entire series is Alto's flying analogy. It's funny, but had Sheryl understood, there wouldn't be a love triangle at all... or at the very least, Kawamori would have even a harder time of convincing people to accept his outcome in episode 25.

With all the different moments in the series from both sides of the triangle, I agree with Kawamori himself regarding Sheryl and Alto's "family life" and their chemistry. Even though Alto considers both girls as his wings, it's also true that he treats and considers each of them differently.
kujoe is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 16:56   Link #230
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Same can be said about Ranka tho

Example: Alto had to climb between buildings to reach Ranka's apartment, and Ranka calls Alto 3am in the morning, and Alto runs tho the long stairs to meet Ranka XD
You just proved my point. Alto doesn't do any of those things unless Ranka calls him.

Sheryl doesn't have to do that, Alto volunteers.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 17:19   Link #231
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You just proved my point. Alto doesn't do any of those things unless Ranka calls him.

Sheryl doesn't have to do that, Alto volunteers.

- Tak
you said "volunteer by accident", and now you all of a sudden concentrate on "volunteer"

When did Alto volunteer to go with Sheryl tho...(birthday present? Sheryl "calls" Alto to get his present XD....Alto looks after Sheryl since ep 18? 20? it was because of her sickness, his willingness to talk to Sheryl in ep 24 is the closest one I can think of [even though sickness still plays a certain factor]...on the other side of the issue, Alto also volunteered to save Ranka in ep 1, 14/15 and 25 too)
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 17:32   Link #232
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 33
Details, details... Though this bit of discussion took a turn for the here-we-go-again, take note that Tak did say "by accident or otherwise."

While there may have been instances where Alto has been compelled by "accident," are you actually saying that caring for the sick (one who is significant to you at that) is now volunteering by accident? Let's twist the argument around. By that definition, Alto saving Ranka is the same.
kujoe is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 17:37   Link #233
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
@kujoe

I was countering Tak's argument that "Same can not be said about Ranka", I countered with "Same can be said about Ranka"..with example

Well, I am so glad to see that you support my argument by saying that "Alto saving Ranka is the same"...so I assume you support my argument that "Same can be said about Ranka" ?

I don't wanna use this aggressive statement, but seems like you are the one who is twisting my argument...I just showed Tak with example that Alto volunteered to save Ranka...and I clearly say that closest I can think of Alto volunteered to go along with Sheryl is in Ep 24..and i just listed out that Sheryl was sick, and that was fact, and I didn't know if that factors into anything...so I actually agree part of Tak's point of view, I just pointed out Alto did the same volunteering to Ranka in ep 25.

I know you are very defensive on Sheryl, but I didn't attack Sheryl with any inapporiate statement, I just merely pointed out that Alto did the same to Ranka
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 17:37   Link #234
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
When did Alto volunteer to go with Sheryl tho...(birthday present? Sheryl "calls" Alto to get his present XD....Alto looks after Sheryl since ep 18? 20? it was because of her sickness, his willingness to talk to Sheryl in ep 24 is the closest one I can think of [even though sickness still plays a certain factor]...on the other side of the issue, Alto also volunteered to save Ranka in ep 1, 14/15 and 25 too)
I suppose you missed all the developments since episode 6? Alto goes to Sheryl to return her earring (he didn't have to). From then on, the two were together until episode 12 (Alto wasn't asked, but he chose to abide), where a minor incident temporarily interrupted this streak.

Despite this, Alto never voluntarily goes to see Ranka unless she asks him. He does not go to her unless being asked, that is a fact, whether you like it or not. Unless he had to save her, there was not a single case where Alto went to seek out Ranka on his own will.

Moreover, Alto did not know Sheryl was sick until episode 22, but again, Alto voluntarily went to see her anyway, so I am sorry, your argument does not stand.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 17:41   Link #235
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Well, I am so glad to see that you support my argument by saying that "Alto saving Ranka is the same"...so I assume you support my argument that "Same can be said about Ranka" ?
Of course, albeit what you guys are arguing about has nothing to do with that per se. It's a contention between different motivations for certain actions.

Moreover, the context of what you were implying wasn't on that point. So if you agree to that, why is caring for Sheryl volunteering by accident to you then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor
I don't wanna use this aggressive statement, but seems like you are the one who is twisting my argument...I just showed Tak with example that Alto volunteered to save Ranka...and I clearly say that closest I can think of Alto volunteered to go along with Sheryl is in Ep 24..and i just listed out that Sheryl was sick, and that was fact, and I didn't know if that factors into anything...so I actually agree part of Tak's point of view, I just pointed out Alto did the same volunteering to Ranka in ep 25.

I know you are very defensive on Sheryl, but I didn't attack Sheryl with any inapporiate statement, I just merely pointed out that Alto did the same to Ranka
Reading your post some more, it does seem like it got twisted a bit I admit, but you were on the context of Tak's "volunteering by accident" line. Coming from that, to say that Alto volunteered and then say that sickness played a factor as if downplaying it, that is what I was getting at.

As for my "defensiveness" on Sheryl, I admit being a Sheryl fan, guilty as charged. But I stay fair, and criticize where it's due... such as reading claims like that in your post.

Last edited by kujoe; 2008-10-29 at 18:01.
kujoe is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 17:56   Link #236
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
@Tak
Alto didn't know Sheryl had v-type infection until episode 22, but Alto did see his bro bring a rather sick (or drunken) Sheryl to taxi cab...and then his bro told Alto to pay a visit and he complied....so my argument stands, he paid visit to Sheryl because he knows she is not feeling well.

@kujoe
Maybe you should ask Tak the meaning of "volunteer by accident" instead, I never really use that wording, Tak invented it XD. I just discuss Alto volunteered to go along with Ranka on some occasion....and once again, thanks for your support

More on that "volunteering by accident", I actually read it as "volunteer and accident" in the first place...and after I copied Tak's wording, I realized the difference but I thought my post would stand anyway...I didn't really know the meaning of "volunteering by accident" so you see my post is only contentrated on the term "volunteer"

I can't change the wording with "volunteer and accident", Tak would have hunted me down XD...can't give him any room to do that, especially Tak is a real tough opponent XD

So, I guess it was all because of misunderstanding, and "Tak", that we got into this heated discussion lol

Last edited by justavisitor; 2008-10-29 at 18:10.
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 18:04   Link #237
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor
Alto didn't know Sheryl had v-type infection until episode 22, but Alto did see his bro bring a rather sick (or drunken) Sheryl to taxi cab...and then his bro told Alto to pay a visit and he complied....so my argument stands, he paid visit to Sheryl because he knows she is not feeling well.
See, this is what I was getting at earlier in my previous post... Never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
@kujoe
Maybe you should ask Tak the meaning of "volunteer by accident" instead, I never really use that wording, Tak invented it XD. I just discuss Alto volunteered to go along with Ranka on some occasion....and once again, thanks for your support
I understood what he said. Take note that the circumstances are wide and varies, and he did say "by accident or otherwise." You merely stuck to the former half of the intended meaning and went on something else entirely.

As for my support, don't quote me on that now. I just said that Alto saving Ranka is as sincere as him caring for Sheryl. This is sort of outside the discussion you guys are having.

Last edited by kujoe; 2008-10-29 at 18:56.
kujoe is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 18:27   Link #238
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
@kujoe

Off topic, when you edit your post, can you leave out the original part intact as much as you can, I know ppl are correcting it for the grammer, I did it too, but on the post you jumped in and started to have a conversation with me, you changed the wording almost entirely on that post.

You make it like I wasn't replying to your statement, or I misread what you said

Of course, it's your freedom to edit it, but I just pointed out you make it inconvenient to ppl like me XD

Edit: I spelled the word "original" wrong XD
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 18:55   Link #239
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 33
I'm not following you. What was the original you're referring to? If there was any significant change, it's only due to additions or because the original didn't fully express what I really wanted to say in the first place.
kujoe is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 19:24   Link #240
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
that "details, details" post XD

I was having an impression that the post looked entirely different after I made my comment...(but you probably edit it when I was writting my comment, because there was no "edit" sign [there is no "edit" sign if a person edits the latest post])

Anyway, I retract what I said, feel free to edit anything, it doesn't really matter...it's not like we have to hunt each other down anyway XD
justavisitor is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.