AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 67 24.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 35.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 58 21.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 9.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 5.51%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 1.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.74%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-11-03, 17:06   Link #481
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Oh, well, if the column is just "Hey, I write what I like, who cares that it isn't about Macross", then it seems kinda misplaced in Macross Ace.
Well, he also gives a run-down of how he draws missile-massacres.

But most of the columns by the show's staff and cast (the primary regular columns being by Itano, Megumi Nakajima, May'n, Noburo Ishiguro, and Noriko Ohara) are like that. With Itano, Ishiguro, and Ohara, they usually fit some kind of reminiscence about the original Macross in their columns. With Megumi and May'n, they mostly talk about what's going on in their lives. In Vol. 005, May'n just talks about natto and how much she likes it. In Vol. 006, her topic is why she likes bananas.

May'n's got a lovely voice, but I always get the feeling that she's a deeply uninteresting person.
__________________
Yot-chan is offline  
Old 2010-11-03, 17:08   Link #482
Lancel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itano
So, like, there's one bit where a sniper in space mounts himself on an asteroid, right? But by doing so half his field of vision is gone. And asteroids aren't stationary so his aim is going to be really unstable. And then they use sniper rifles at point blank range? I notice this sort of stuff, you know.
It wasn't just me!

Though I do have to disagree with him on limiting his field of vision, while true, there are advantages. My experience playing practically nothing but snipers in FPSes tells me that it doesn't matter if you can see everything, just that you can see enough, and often times you're better off limiting your own field of vision because it also limits the angles the enemy can view you from, and that keeps you from getting sniped yourself from some sniper out of your field of vision or getting bullets sprayed in your direction by guys with assault rifles or SAWs. Even if someone did know you were there, the limited field of view doubles as cover, so they just pelt the terrain with bullets. Sniping from out in the open is just too exposed. You will die. Someone will see you and you will die, either by someone shooting you or flanking you and knifing you in the back.

Annnd asteroids in real life aren't like in Star Wars. Secondly it really isn't about being stationary but stationary relative to another object, and given how much they were moving that's never going to happen. I just assume the targeting systems can adjust for the relatively predictable movement of the asteroid. Plus you'll note that ultimately Alto has to go and MAKE Brera stationary so Michel can take the shot.

That said, I still debate just how practical Michel's sniper rifle really is given the speed of Macross dogfights. It only works if you have someone pin the other guy, you get a sneak attack on them when they aren't expecting it, or you're picking off Destroids and gun emplacements on a fortified capital ship so someone else can go in a drop a reaction missile on it. It's a very specialized weapon IMO.
Lancel is offline  
Old 2010-11-03, 17:19   Link #483
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Well, he also gives a run-down of how he draws missile-massacres.

But most of the columns by the show's staff and cast (the primary regular columns being by Itano, Megumi Nakajima, May'n, Noburo Ishiguro, and Noriko Ohara) are like that. With Itano, Ishiguro, and Ohara, they usually fit some kind of reminiscence about the original Macross in their columns. With Megumi and May'n, they mostly talk about what's going on in their lives. In Vol. 005, May'n just talks about natto and how much she likes it. In Vol. 006, her topic is why she likes bananas.

May'n's got a lovely voice, but I always get the feeling that she's a deeply uninteresting person.
Eh, could be. It also could be that she's just not comfortable revealing what she really is like in a magazine for everyone to see.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2010-11-03, 17:30   Link #484
Lancel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Eh, could be. It also could be that she's just not comfortable revealing what she really is like in a magazine for everyone to see.
The medium can also affect what you're writing, as some people don't want to talk about something too weird that might be too revealing to the fan base, or could cause controversy or something like competing theories or god forbid giving the fans your opinion on who Alto should pick, or the manager is like "TALK ABOUT BANANAS!" Though honestly if I were an Idol Singer and got my own Macross magazine column I'd probably spam treatises and theories on Valkyrie warfare. I'm sure someone would like it.
Lancel is offline  
Old 2010-11-03, 17:41   Link #485
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
The medium can also affect what you're writing, as some people don't want to talk about something too weird that might be too revealing to the fan base, or could cause controversy or something like competing theories or god forbid giving the fans your opinion on who Alto should pick, or the manager is like "TALK ABOUT BANANAS!" Though honestly if I were an Idol Singer and got my own Macross magazine column I'd probably spam treatises and theories on Valkyrie warfare. I'm sure someone would like it.
Well, Megumi usually talks about how her life has changed, or what it's like being on stage, or anecdotes about making the show, which makes it far more like the other columns in the magazine, and makes May'n's seem all the stranger.

I also hold May'n's overuse of (A) and (^ω^) style smilies and general "cutsey" writing style against her, which may be a little unfair...
__________________
Yot-chan is offline  
Old 2010-11-03, 20:37   Link #486
YaminoSeigi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
It wasn't just me!

Though I do have to disagree with him on limiting his field of vision, while true, there are advantages. My experience playing practically nothing but snipers in FPSes tells me that it doesn't matter if you can see everything, just that you can see enough, and often times you're better off limiting your own field of vision because it also limits the angles the enemy can view you from, and that keeps you from getting sniped yourself from some sniper out of your field of vision or getting bullets sprayed in your direction by guys with assault rifles or SAWs. Even if someone did know you were there, the limited field of view doubles as cover, so they just pelt the terrain with bullets. Sniping from out in the open is just too exposed. You will die. Someone will see you and you will die, either by someone shooting you or flanking you and knifing you in the back.

Annnd asteroids in real life aren't like in Star Wars. Secondly it really isn't about being stationary but stationary relative to another object, and given how much they were moving that's never going to happen. I just assume the targeting systems can adjust for the relatively predictable movement of the asteroid. Plus you'll note that ultimately Alto has to go and MAKE Brera stationary so Michel can take the shot.

That said, I still debate just how practical Michel's sniper rifle really is given the speed of Macross dogfights. It only works if you have someone pin the other guy, you get a sneak attack on them when they aren't expecting it, or you're picking off Destroids and gun emplacements on a fortified capital ship so someone else can go in a drop a reaction missile on it. It's a very specialized weapon IMO.
One of the issue that Macross F is lacking of Realism i believe, even though there are explosions everywhere some of the stuff they show is really unconvincing, where as the older macross even though it is older the dogfight are more convincing compared to frontier. IIRC Itano and Kawamori did ride a real jet fighter in order to create the crazy manuver for Plus

One of the aspect that i am disappointed as well with frontier is how they treat the love triangle, i think the balance of the love triangle is either toppled too early or biased from the beginning and concluded in cliffhanger which perhaps something to do for the movie. The conclusion of the triangle is similar to macross 7 but the difference is that in frontier Alto has choosen Sheryl earlier on and seem to be indecisive in the end on which girl he want to choose.
__________________
YaminoSeigi is offline  
Old 2010-11-04, 03:29   Link #487
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaminoSeigi View Post
One of the issue that Macross F is lacking of Realism i believe, even though there are explosions everywhere some of the stuff they show is really unconvincing, where as the older macross even though it is older the dogfight are more convincing compared to frontier. IIRC Itano and Kawamori did ride a real jet fighter in order to create the crazy manuver for Plus

One of the aspect that i am disappointed as well with frontier is how they treat the love triangle, i think the balance of the love triangle is either toppled too early or biased from the beginning and concluded in cliffhanger which perhaps something to do for the movie. The conclusion of the triangle is similar to macross 7 but the difference is that in frontier Alto has choosen Sheryl earlier on and seem to be indecisive in the end on which girl he want to choose.
I'd rather say that the series just... ended. There's no sign that Alto did reverse his choice, but they simply didn't show him telling it to Ranka. Who comes in with no idea what happened in her absence and then goes on to issue silly challenges immediately.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2010-11-04, 05:52   Link #488
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
No pun intended, but complaints about lack of realism in a show that contains transforming robots and giant alien bugs is kind of a stretch, no?

__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2010-11-04, 06:13   Link #489
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
At least it didn't have songs used as weapons as literally as those in Macross 7. I mean, vacuum? Sound? Not possible.

And seriously, the story was simple but ok. The pacing on the other hand... almost terrible. Plus lots of unexplained side stories and a fail of a main antagonist. And by the end of the day very few actually cared about the bugs and the battles as they did for the love triangle...

... which was left intentionally open for potential shipping wars.
Those are what prevent this anime from being great.
roriconfan is offline  
Old 2010-11-04, 06:38   Link #490
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
At least it didn't have songs used as weapons as literally as those in Macross 7. I mean, vacuum? Sound? Not possible.
But...that never happened in Macross 7... Basara always had the speaker pods, and later, the Sound Boosters converted the song energy (not the sound) into rays (also not sound).
__________________
Yot-chan is offline  
Old 2010-11-04, 06:42   Link #491
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
Like I said, realism and mecha series... not a good relationship.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2010-11-04, 11:23   Link #492
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
Are we slightly going off-topic here?
__________________



CrowKenobi is offline  
Old 2010-11-04, 19:02   Link #493
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
We might. We tend to, sometimes. Is that bad?



Shameless attempt to bring it back to topic: when the re-watch ends, it'll be fun to revisit this and compare everyone's feelings from when they watched it for the first time, no?
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2010-11-05, 05:28   Link #494
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Re-watching will most likely bring out all the stuff everyone mentioned here. And will most likely make you drop a couple of points to the score of the series.

Me? I will never watch this again. I pointed them out on the first run and didn't like them one bit. Enjoyable? Yes. All time classic or rewatchable? Not for me.
roriconfan is offline  
Old 2010-11-05, 05:49   Link #495
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Re-watching will most likely bring out all the stuff everyone mentioned here. And will most likely make you drop a couple of points to the score of the series.
Kindly don't assume how others feel. The vast mayority of us who still post here regularly were also here constantly for and after the series.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2010-11-05, 08:59   Link #496
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Re-watching will most likely bring out all the stuff everyone mentioned here.
You're not reading what some folks are putting out in the re-watch thread, are you? Three episodes in, and some very interesting points are being expanded on and discussed. If you feel this shouldn't be seen again, I'm sorry for you, but that's your opinion - Kindly don't assume all of us share it.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2010-11-10, 07:57   Link #497
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The girl's bathroom
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
But...that never happened in Macross 7... Basara always had the speaker pods, and later, the Sound Boosters converted the song energy (not the sound) into rays (also not sound).
God I can't even bring myself to watch the second episode of Macross 7 after that cringe worthy display.
__________________

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline  
Old 2010-11-10, 10:06   Link #498
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
You don't know what you're missing, then.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2010-11-10, 10:21   Link #499
Lancel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
God I can't even bring myself to watch the second episode of Macross 7 after that cringe worthy display.
It gets better, though I did have a similar reaction. People told me it would pick up, you just need to get through the first few episodes, it just takes them a while to set things up, largely because they keep devoting half the early episodes to recycled battle footage. Once they finish up creating the setting and building the characters it gets better.
Lancel is offline  
Old 2010-11-10, 10:53   Link #500
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
I was one of the rare ones who loved Macross 7 from the start, but yeah many people who were put off by the first few episodes ended up enjoying the ride after a little while. The slice life episodes are just so good.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.