AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 67 24.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 35.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 58 21.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 9.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 5.51%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 1.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.74%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-08, 09:15   Link #41
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Gave it 9

Good:
beautiful CG mecha action and fleet details
good music selection and two singers this time
tons of past macross series homage
decent character concepts (mostly Sheryl)

Bad:
some very inconsistent animation/character designs
usage of songs could have been better (should have saved Northern Cross for the finale instead of wasting it as an opening)
rushed ending and Vajra are still a mystery
under developed characters (mostly Grace, Klan, Michel, Luca, Brera)

Other:
The series is fantastic if you're an old Macross vet. Things like Pineapple cake, speakers pods, and singing to save a fleet make little sense for new viewers.

Favorite ep:
Pineapple Cake! The usage of some Fire Bomber songs and the Gar of Ozma was the ultimate homage to the old hot blooded pilots everywhere!
Old 2008-10-08, 12:22   Link #42
magnuskn

My final review

Here is my final review for the series. I´ll do the first part in bullet points and then go into final impressions.

Animation: 9 The series had outstanding animation a good lot of the time, with clearly recognizable character designs, gorgeous backgrounds, outstanding technical designs ( I especially loved the pop-up holographics for the VF-25s and the holographic display of the cellphones ), beautifully done clothing and, with Sheryl, one of the most best character designs I have ever seen.

Why does it still only get a 9? Because of episode 8 and some other episodes, where apparently the budget was too tight for the "good" animation. But, boy, did the episode 8 animation ever suck. I´m still hoping that they´ll re-do it for the blue-ray, although I am not holding my breath.

What stood especially out was how organically the technology was integrated into the characters lifes. None of it was too outrageous, and yet it gave the appearance of an advance in technology which will probably take us decades to get to. But sign me up for those cellphones.

Voice acting: 10 About everyone was point-on perfect. I can´t remember not one character who was done badly. None sounded too over-the-top or like he was just reading his lines. They sounded like real people, which doesn´t always happen.

Editing: 9 Most of the times excellent, but there were here-and-there some rather "Hmmm" moments. Nothing too mayor or which I can put in coherent words, but some scenes could have flown a little bit better. But in almost all animes there are such scenes, so I can easily attribute them to cultural things which do not translate as well to a westerner like me.

Story: 8 The series did develop in rather unexpected ways a lot of time. We were trolled several times during it by Kawamori, and not only by letting Ozma live. There were some genuine surprises along the way ( the WTF-1, anybody? ), and he managed to mislead us several times into alleys of thinking which rather turned out to be totally other things.

Also, the enemy this time was not to be another race which humanity could interact with easily. Rather than that, we got an insectoid enemy, who until the very last episode displayed almost zero development. They were very much just depicted as an unstoppable force. Albeit that meant they never rose to something more than an enemy which had to be overcome, it meant that the creators had more time to devote to other parts of the story. In this case that was the love triangle, which was front and center for most of the series. It made the Vajra into a less than inspiring OPFOR, though. They definitely hold no candle to the Zentraedi and will easily pass into the mists of history.

OTOH, it is better to have no personality, than to have sucky personalities, like the Protodevlin.

The story had some minor plot-holes, though most of them can be easily handwaved. More troubling is the fact that a lot of plot elements were included but never fully explained, like Sheryl being Maos granddaughter. Without giving it more depth than a throwaway scene, it seemed to be more gratuituous than anything else. Some more exposition on this and on other little things could have greatly benefited the plot and the characters.

As said already, the focus on the love triangle was very noticeable in Macross Frontier. That makes the non-definite resolution that much sadder, because it seems to leave the story unfinished. We could of course look forward to future movies and OVAs, but as the ending for a television series, it did not work completely.

I think Frontier would have benefitted greatly from an extension, like the original SDFM or a second season, giving Kawamori time to show how the characters deal with their new world or expanding again a bit the Macross universe with some interaction with NUNS. And of course resolving the romance in a definite manner.

Of course, if one looks at the romance logically, one can see that Alto will probably stay with Sheryl, because they live together, are attracted to each other and already shared lots of time together, while Ranka has just returned to start at the beginning line again. And what will she do, actively try to wreck Sheryl and Altos relationship?

It would have been just nice to cap the series with a real confession by Alto to Sheryl. It would have fitted the epic build-up in episodes 22-24, but, alas, we are left to make sense of it on our own.

Characters: 10 I can´t say that I loved every single character. Nanase, Luca, Brera and Leon all suffered from under-development ( especially Nanase ). Ranka... well, more on her later. But as for the rest? Yay, they were all superb! The minor characters all had their moments were they got to shine, displayed their individual personalities very well and were just *fun* to watch. They made me smile and nod my head appreciatively a lot.

Alto got a lot of flak for being difficult to read and being non-decisive. But those same people who criticised him mostly ignored his caring side and that he is a man of his word. I will admit, though, that his character development was very subtle and difficult to see during a lot of the series. His doubts for his own masculinity, not helped by being called "princess" by everybody, were not handled in the usual way, meaning he did not try to be hyper-masculine. Instead, he was shown to depend on saving Ranka to prove his own worth. Later on, he seemed to recognize that he could let Brera do the protecting of Ranka and he just... mellowed out a lot. His hyper-defensiveness about his manlyness was shown much less, and he seemed to let himself be more relaxed around his friends.

Ranka. Well. She started out as someone who was working hard to realize her dream. A bit shy and naive girl, but adorably cute and friendly. But over the whole series, she never progressed beyond that. Her "love" for Alto always seemed to be nothing more than an idealized crush, and she always depended on others to get herself out of trouble. Of the three main characters, she was the least developed, because she never went anywhere in her development. At the end of the series, she still is mostly the same. Less shy and naive, perhaps, but while the other two mains had to confront their own short-comings, and came out better persons by that confrontation, Ranka never seemed to have those moments of self-introspection. Rather than that, she, again, had to be saved by Alto in the end.

Her only redemption is that she saved Sheryl-samas life by means of Magic Hax. As a reward she she gets to watch while Alto and Sheryl go off to live a happy domestic life and will hopefully finally move the fuck on.

And, finally, Sheryl. Quite frankly, the best character I have ever seen in an anime. Easily on par with great fictional characters from other sources, like Anakin Solo, Spike, Willow, Tyrion Lannister, Kai-Allard Liao, Cassie Suthorn, Phelan Kell, Londo Mollari and G'Kar.

Her personality combined a can-do indefeatable ego, humor, arrogance, humbleness, seductiveness, selflessness, vulnerability, independence, helpfulness, compassion and much more into one awesome package. While her awesome self-confidence was a mayor selling point, her later humbleness and willingness to sacrifice herself elevated her even more. Seeing that she had a real shitty life during her childhood ( opposed to Ranka, who, y'know, had amnesia and couldn´t remember her former traumas ) made her rise to stardom even more impressive. Even if a lot of it was manipulated by Grace, the hard work and dedication to her craft came from Sheryl.

And after all of that, her innermost dream wasn´t to be the most famous songstress of the known universe, but to simply have someone to share her life with. I obviously believe that she did get that in the end, but it would have been nice from SK to show us that she did get her guy, instead of leaving it to us to logically deduce it. Mumblegrumblerassumfrassum....

Well, in any case, one awesome character, that Sheryl. I hope we get to see more of her in future OVAs. It would be a shame to have her fade away into our collective memories so soon.

Final Score: 9 Macross Frontier is definitely the best anime I have seen in many a year. Looking back at other animes, a very few had as lasting an impact as this one will have on me, and none ever made me get that obsessed with a pairing or a character. It had some flaws which prevented it from being rated a perfect 10 ( most obviously, the botched resolution to the romance ), but all other aspects did deliver.

I think it would be a great set-up for more Macross series, which could explore the universe beyond following the colonization fleets. The characters could stand more exposition and don´t seem played out yet at all. Sadly, Japanese series don´t deal in second seasons or follow-up series all that much, mostly because they don´t have to make sure their actors remain under contract continually. Seiyuus voices don´t change that much if you just wait two or more years to do another installment, so I expect this will have been the last Macross series for some time. Of course I believe in quality over quantity, but some more quantity would *really* be nice here, as long as the quality keeps up.

I think this is a series which can be used very well to introduce someone to the Macross universe. Of course the original series would in some regards be better, but the outdated visuals of SDFM could be a problem. Macross Frontier is so good that it should motivate new viewers to backtrack into the older series.

Let us all hope that Kawamori will deliver soon another Macross series or continue this one with OVAs or maybe even a second season. After this fantastic installment, it cannot come soon enough.
Old 2008-10-09, 05:36   Link #43
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Post Kilroy's Review on the Macross Frontier TV Anime Series

I'm going to assume that if you are reading this you have watched the series. If you have not watched the series and do not want massive and indepth spoilers, DO NOT CONTINUE READING THIS REVIEW!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Wow what a awesome ride Macross Frontier was. It has it's highs and lows throughout the series which we the audience were deeply affected by. I don't think any more evidence to that needs to be shown but here on these forums and many other forums and blogs throughout the internet's blue ether. Taking my total viewing experience into account and also taking into my account my past feelings on Macross and what I expected, I gave the 25 episode Macross Frontier anime series a 9/10.

Spoiler for For Details and Length. It's very long:

Conclusion/Recommendation:

So in conclusion to this very long review, I give the latest installment in the Macross universe, Macross Frontier, a solid 9/10. I feel that anyone even remotely interested in Macross should absolutely check this out. The storyline is good, there are good characters, great space battles, the music and songs are second to none and the animation isn't all bad just in some parts. It has a relatively high rewatch value and I'm sure the Blue-Ray release of the series will have neat little extras.

Looking forward to the Macross Frontier movie at some point in the future and also that Macross VF OVA thing that was rumored a while back.

Cheers.
Old 2008-10-09, 14:46   Link #44
March

Solid 8 out of 10. It can't beat SDF Macross or Macross Plus to my mind, but what Macross Frontier did was Macross done right. After 7 and Zero, I feared Macross would never be seen again. Thank you Frontier for proving me wrong. Very enjoyable series.
Old 2008-10-09, 16:57   Link #45
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
Solid 8 out of 10. It can't beat SDF Macross or Macross Plus to my mind, but what Macross Frontier did was Macross done right. After 7 and Zero, I feared Macross would never be seen again. Thank you Frontier for proving me wrong. Very enjoyable series.
Aw come on, Zero in many ways, revived my faith in the franchise. It had great dogfights, action sequences, and at least a understandable story. Ok, it wasn't perfect, but shoot...

Because you know, Macross 7 was a bloody nightmare.

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2008-10-09, 17:21   Link #46
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Zero had awesome dogfights, only topped by those in Frontier. But the story... shivers...

Old 2008-10-09, 17:25   Link #47
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
But the story... shivers...
At least it wasn't a mess

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2008-10-09, 17:29   Link #48
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal Send a message via Skype™ to abynormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Zero had awesome dogfights, only topped by those in Frontier. But the story... shivers...
What's with all the hate on Zero? I liked it quite a lot. The story wasn't exactly deep or anything, but I thought it got the job done pretty well for a short OVA like that.
Old 2008-10-09, 17:31   Link #49
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

It wasn't a mess? I must have missed it then...

Or, maybe, I lost interest because of the long-ass waiting between episodes.

Perhaps it's time to get the Blu-Ray editions and try to watch it again...

Old 2008-10-09, 18:18   Link #50
Joachim
et tu, brute?

dunno with the zero hate its definitely an "A" anime ova in my book though

but hey, its just a matter of preferences

i would pick zero over 7, dunno why
Old 2008-10-09, 21:16   Link #51
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
dunno with the zero hate its definitely an "A" anime ova in my book though

but hey, its just a matter of preferences

i would pick zero over 7, dunno why
I am watching M7 and I have to agree that Zero is better.
Old 2008-10-09, 23:35   Link #52
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Zero was actually pretty good. Most of it was interesting. The only thing I disliked was a more spiritualistic feel/climate of the OVA. It was strange to say the least, considering the Macross Universe.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-10-10, 09:47   Link #53
March

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Aw come on, Zero in many ways, revived my faith in the franchise. It had great dogfights, action sequences, and at least a understandable story. Ok, it wasn't perfect, but shoot...

Because you know, Macross 7 was a bloody nightmare.

- Tak
I admit, I'm a sucker for my films, literature and anime. I can get drawn into the weirdest stuff and love it. But when I don't like something, I don't hold back my harsh opinion of it.

For me, M0 was a mess. Didn't like the characters, didn't like the CGI (Frontier's CGI was so much more immersive), didn't like the story and hated the non-ending. They even managed to drain the life out of Roy Focker. Definitely a 3-4 out of 10 rating in my book. Macross 7 was a 1 out of 10.

But luckily, Macross Frontier was great. Plenty of fun, great CGI, lots of exciting action and sympathetic characters. Entertaining in almost every way and definitely a high point for the franchise. The final episode was 100% undistilled nerdgasm
Old 2008-10-10, 18:50   Link #54
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

March is so negative

I admit, Zero's CGI is obviously nothing compared to Frontier's, but then again, Zero was made in 2002, and the CG was very good for its time. Certainly enough for Zero to win an award in special effects. Moreover, I really can't think of anything at the time that could match Zero's action sequences toe-to-toe.

To be honest, I was looking forward to a prequel, so when I learned about Zero back in 2001, I was quite excited. Its not a perfect show, and I did not like how it went Earth Girl on me, but it was nonetheless watchable, and certainly provided a definite closure regarding the fate of two primary characters, which is something Macross Frontier has yet to accomplish.

I wonder if it would have been better to make Zero as a TV series, rather than an OVA.

- Tak

Old 2008-10-10, 22:45   Link #55
raile
<3
*Author

I'm giving the series a 9/10--just because of the ending. I would have given it a 10 if it had left me satisfied. Oh, and also because of some animation inconsistencies.

Macross F was an enjoyable series. It was engaging and you can't help but feel for the characters. I started out liking Ranka and disliking Sheryl--and what a turn around it was in the later episodes. XD
Oh! The mecha porn was porn. 8D

Also, I give props to Grace O'Connor. Let's just say it was hard for me to buy a sweet mild-mannered character who was voiced by Belldandy's seiyuu as a villain.
Old 2008-10-11, 01:05   Link #56
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I think Macross Zero's CG is quite good for it's time and the action was superb. It's still one of the best animated dogfights along with Sentou Yousei Yukikaze. Macross Frontier is still 2nd to the those 2 in my book.
Old 2008-10-11, 13:19   Link #57
turbore

average for me. Mostly because i stopped caring somewhere in the middle.

First episode was the bomb, first half of the show was very good. And then it started to rub me in the wrong way.

Might be because of the characters.
The only interesting character for me was Sheryl, one word to describe her - refreshing. But i hate when they pick my favorite characters and drag them through mud and call it character development.
Ranka was... bleh, hated her design, what's with her hair like dog ears. Coupled with done thousand times character of shy hard working + amnesiac girl... wanted to skip most of scenes with her.
Alto another typical character that was making show boring being indecisive and thickheaded. Like most of those "i dont really know whats going on, but i know what is right - and thats kicking some bad bug butt" heroes. So you want the sky, huh. Why not pick some girl and share that sky with her. And make some children while you're at it. Nah, its more fun being mainstream dumba$$.
Secondary characters aren't much to talk about, maybe ozma a bit, with that basara music and tough guy stance.

Bad guys, developers did something wrong there, my sense of danger clicked only once and thats on first episode, when wajra started blasting flying colony and it seemed nothing could stop it. Afterwards wajra attacks became routine, thus mecha fights, despite their beauty, lacked tension. Almost like those M7 fights... They tried to heat up the tension at the end, but that vajra one brain -> universe theory didnt make sense to me. Human brain is incapable of that, no matter how many intels are backing it up.

Music... simply no. I dislike modern pop music, japanese or not. Original had more soul, M7 had more power ("power to the universe!!" felt strong with all that lava around back in a days).

So in the end i ended up waiting, who's gona get killed and who's gonna get that indecisive fool (OP was pushing that idea very strongly). In the end, only poor michel died and alto still roams free. Oh and bugs packed up and left. Kinda bad... not as bad as last-exile-bad, where all main characters, who surrvived last fight, ended up living together in lil house. But still.
Old 2008-10-11, 13:29   Link #58
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbore View Post
Might be because of the characters.
The only interesting character for me was Sheryl, one word to describe her - refreshing. But i hate when they pick my favorite characters and drag them through mud and call it character development.
I have to compliment her and the producers who made her for that. Not many are daring to do that to a character, but Sheryl was the exception. At the end, she survived and came out stronger, that is all there is to say about that.

- Tak

Old 2008-10-11, 14:26   Link #59
turbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I have to compliment her and the producers who made her for that. Not many are daring to do that to a character, but Sheryl was the exception. At the end, she survived and came out stronger, that is all there is to say about that.

- Tak
I dont know where you got that 'came out stronger'. Came out alive and in good mood that's about all you can see in last 10 minutes of anime. But thats just adrenalin rush due to happy end.
I think there's been pages of discussion about goods and bads of this kind of character development in bamboo blade forum. I myself dont think experiencing approaching death/ shocking loss is a positive experience. In reality you get strong negative psychological experience that puts a limit on you, and even if you cross it, it keeps coming back to haunt you.
Old 2008-10-11, 14:33   Link #60
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
I dont know where you got that 'came out stronger'. Came out alive and in good mood that's about all you can see in last 10 minutes of anime.
I was not referring to her physical condition, it was more of a reference to her mental condition. IMO, she emerged stronger than ever as a character. In the previous episodes, she faltered, but you cannot deny that she picked up her own two feet and was in a sense, reborn.

Quote:
I think there's been pages of discussion about goods and bads of this kind of character development in bamboo blade forum. I myself dont think experiencing approaching death/ shocking loss is a positive experience.
I never seen Bamboo Blade so I can't comment. But Sheryl was a refreshing girl to see because of her experiences and how she eventually conquered them despite being in a physically frail state. Her transformation from 18 ~ 24 was, imo, quite beautiful.

- Tak

Closed Thread