AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 67 24.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 35.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 58 21.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 9.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 5.51%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 1.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.74%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-11, 15:02   Link #61
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I wonder if we would all have better impressions of the series if Alto had been killed off...
Old 2008-10-11, 15:09   Link #62
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
I wonder if we would all have better impressions of the series if Alto had been killed off...
No can do, that would kill the show for me.

Ok, Alto is really like this, you can't live with him, but you can't live without him.

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2008-10-11, 21:04   Link #63
raile
<3
*Author

Ah, a delicious paradox. XD
Old 2008-10-12, 10:42   Link #64
Tabris

Quote:
Kinda pointless killing off the main character.

It'd have been like killing Hikaru in SDF Macross, the show just wouldn't work anymore.
Old 2008-10-12, 12:38   Link #65
magnuskn

Quote:
Errr... no. That would have killed my enjoyment of the show just as much as if theyd killed Sheryl. Ranka, OTOH....
Old 2008-10-12, 14:28   Link #66
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Haze View Post
Animation Quality-6/10 I really didn't care about the action animation quality too much, and the animation quality for the characters was too inconsistent. Compare ep. 24 to ep. 8 regarding character's faces.

Voice Acting-9/10

Script-8/10

Editing-What's this?

Overall, I gave it a 7/10. It lost a point because of the ending.
Agreed with you pretty much word for word. It got a 7/10 out of me too, though the ending could have made it so much better...
Old 2008-10-12, 14:38   Link #67
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

If they HAD killed off Alto, you certainly wouldn't have forgotten it.

But yeah I suppose you really have to have him there. On the other hand they could have had him go out in a blaze of glory sacrificing himself for those around him. He might be tolerable then.

But really what exactly was wrong with Alto? I mean he had the basics, sarcastic, screamed a good bit in the cockpit, cool nickname and running gag, and good pilotiing skillz. He could have been the greatest macross character ever, but instead he's pretty forgettable. It's difficult to put my finger on it. Maybe it's that he never did much?
Old 2008-10-12, 15:47   Link #68
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
i gave it a 10 because that was what it was from eps 1-24

then 25 came and i deducted 2 points, but i still give it a 10 and the game is awesome
Old 2008-10-12, 16:21   Link #69
magnuskn

Quote:
If they HAD killed off Alto, you certainly wouldn't have forgotten it.

But yeah I suppose you really have to have him there. On the other hand they could have had him go out in a blaze of glory sacrificing himself for those around him. He might be tolerable then.

But really what exactly was wrong with Alto? I mean he had the basics, sarcastic, screamed a good bit in the cockpit, cool nickname and running gag, and good pilotiing skillz. He could have been the greatest macross character ever, but instead he's pretty forgettable. It's difficult to put my finger on it. Maybe it's that he never did much?
Sure I would have never forgotten it. Id always remembered Frontier as "That incredibly crappily written show, with one unforgettable character.". Srlsy, but killing off Alto? Idiotic.
Old 2008-10-12, 23:56   Link #70
WhiteWings

Animation Quality: 8
Voice Actors: 9
Script: 9
Editing: 8

Overall? I'd give the series a '9'.

The series weren't bad and was very well rounded in every aspect and angle. There wasn't anything revolutionary and of course after so many anime its impossible to reuse some ideas and scenarios but everything more or less wrapped up pretty nicely as well as the fair balance of characters and relationships.

The only complaint, if even that much, is the defection and return of the Macross ?Quarter crew was a tad too quick in and out. It was better than overstaying its welcome but the rebellion lasted so briefly its almost unworthy of notice.

Still, after seeing once great series like Gundam SEED Destiny and Code Geass R2 crash and burn at the end its pretty good to see things wrapped up nicely.

Old 2008-10-13, 14:51   Link #71
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

We still have the movie of course, imagine the godly mech sequences Kawamori will give us! After all, Macross F has done pretty well at DVD and Bluray sales I expect, I'm expecting something spectacular!
Old 2008-10-13, 14:58   Link #72
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
We still have the movie of course, imagine the godly mech sequences Kawamori will give us! After all, Macross F has done pretty well at DVD and Bluray sales I expect, I'm expecting something spectacular!
I don't mind him doing more mech sequences, I do however, mind him messing with characters I like. This guy can't write a script worth a damn.

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2008-10-13, 19:48   Link #73
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Oh, he so can. People forget he was largely responsible for Macross Plus, Arjuna and Escaflowne. Call these shows what you will, but they have wonderful scripts, most of the time. And DYRL was his baby, as well.
And, geekygasm, he actually designed Optimus Prime.

He just seems to enjoy trolling a lot.

Old 2008-10-13, 19:53   Link #74
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Oh, he so can. People forget he was largely responsible for Macross Plus, Arjuna and Escaflowne. Call these shows what you will, but they have wonderful scripts, most of the time. And DYRL was his baby, as well.

He just seems to enjoy trolling a lot.
DYRL was more Ohnogi's pet project.

- Tak

Old 2008-10-13, 21:29   Link #75
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
DYRL was more Ohnogi's pet project.
Even if it was, Kawamori was still head honcho. So, he deserves mad props, just as well.
As in Macross F, where, even if some of our favorite bits were conceived by the original idea of someone else, he was still the guy who said okay or nay to them.

Old 2008-10-13, 21:39   Link #76
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Even if it was, Kawamori was still head honcho. So, he deserves mad props, just as well.
As in Macross F, where, even if some of our favorite bits were conceived by the original idea of someone else, he was still the guy who said okay or nay to them.
Actually, its a general misconception that Macross belongs to Kawamori alone. While he had a lot of input in the creation of the original series, without the invaluable presence of Kazutaka Miyatake, Haruhiko Mikimoto, Ichirō Itano, and Hiroshi Ōnog, Macross could have ended up just like another Super Robot clone and prevented Kawamori's flagship project from ever taking off.

I don't know how much role he played in the creation of the original, but with whatever information I mustered, I thank God that he allowed others to write scripts for him!

- Tak

Old 2008-10-13, 22:23   Link #77
kujoe
from head to heel

Well, whatever. I'm happy that he's surrounded with good people. Some great stuff are the result of such collaboration after all.

Actually, I have no idea why I'm posting here. I think I'm just starting to have some Macross withdrawal issues. Aaagh!
Old 2008-10-13, 22:33   Link #78
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Notice that I never claimed Kawamori had any major input over the original series. So there. He sure did help with lots of concepts later revisited in his other works, just the same.

As of DYRL, though (and other than Macross II)... he was in charge. So, if the series/OVA's/movies turned out okay, he did have something to do with that little bit. And that's my point.

Old 2008-10-14, 00:30   Link #79
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal Send a message via Skype™ to abynormal
Quote:
He WHAT?

I had no idea!
Old 2008-10-14, 01:04   Link #80
elfboy

Animation Quality - 9/10 (agree with comments about how 'QC' slipped during end of series -- too tight deadlines, but heck, the thing is freakin' beautiful at times that exceeds 10/10, so I won't penalize it too much. Also... Sheryl!)

Voice Acting - 9/10 (It's very very good, but perfect? Um...)

Script - 9/10 (Complex, maybe too complex, but told in a very engaging and entertaining manner that kept my attention through the first 9 eps then from ep 14 onwards. Even if you guys complain about Alto surviving, the show would have suffered if he hadn't.)

Editing - 8/10 (I choose to interpret this category as pacing -- and let's face it, wrapping up the series in 25 eps was too rushed. And there was just too slow a burn during the "Ranka-centric" episodes, that should have started revealing the machinations of Leon & Birler sooner).

Otakuness Factor - 1000/10 (Mecha Pr0n. Interesting villains. Sheryl hotness. Mecha Pron. Sheryl hotness. If there was Sheryl Pr0n, this would have been beyond infinity).

I was also underwhelmed when they announced this series because I was just ambivalent after Macross Zero (and I'm a Macross fan). Now, I have to admit this is probably my favorite series, and a worthy, possibly sometimes (only sometimes) superior successor to the original.

I was also tempted to vote between 10/10 or 9/10. Now having broken it down, I've come to the conclusion that I should vote 9/10 -- but how can I discount the otakuness factor? It's the essence of why we watch anime, any anime. Sigh... to be fair, or to be colored by Sheryl fanboy glasses...

Overall series: 9/10 (but high high 9... like 9.9) It's not the perfect anime, it's not genre redefining. But I found there are episodes (ep.20 for instance) during this series which are so perfectly told that few anime series could ever hope to match, much less surpass.
Closed Thread