AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-21, 04:04   Link #181
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger
i dunno about another season, but maybe an OVA? Some 4 part OVA or something that explains what happens after episode 27. That'd be nice.
Actually I'd settle for a 4 part OVA that explains what happened during episode 27. Seriously, I know what happened during the episode, but so much was skipped over - so many great fights missed - that I feel it deserves to be retold. It look like they were hoping for a second season, but since they didn't get one they smooshed half a season into the last 2 episodes to reach some sort of a conclusion.

I'm afraid that we'll probably never see those OVAs or a season 2. Some shows are just fated to disappear. Hold onto these precious memories of Air Master. Remember you enjoyment of the show. And don't expect to ever see any more of it. If you can stop longing for more, then you can simply enjoy it for what it was. And if a second season ever appears you can be joyously surprised.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 14:23   Link #182
Ixk

*raises hand* Same same! I'm glad that they connected the ending back to the beginning, but couldn't help feeling a bit cheated, as if there was just a huge chunk of story missing what with the complete lack of knowledge about the strangely powerful guy Maki fights with in the end. (Actually it quite reminded me of Berserk, a story that that only starts at the end of the anime. Does that make sense?)

As for the character designs, I liked them. It's weird, but it's the unique, easily recognizable and, in some cases, slightly offputting drawing styles that ultimately become my favorite . . . like One Piece, Tenshi na Konamaiki, or FMA.

Gotta go find the manga. O and the randomness! ::Little Tsukio running down the hill! *meh meh meh meh meh*::
Ixk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 16:04   Link #183
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
IS AIRMASTER any GOOD ???

although i am downloading the whole series i have my doubts because of the lack of seeds that it has....does thi mean it isnt a good action anime.....................i dont like hentai content

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-11-10 at 18:32. Reason: Threads merged. Please use the SEARCH function before creating a new thread!
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 18:35   Link #184
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
although i am downloading the whole series i have my doubts because of the lack of seeds that it has....does thi mean it isnt a good action anime.....................i dont like hentai content
Read the thread if you want to know. People either love Airmaster or hate it. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

The action is wonderful and it isn't hentai so it would seem to be a good match for you. On the other hand, some people seem to equate hentai with fanservice and if you are one of them, then it isn't for you since there are upskirts and jiggling breasts.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-11-12, 13:08   Link #185
JoeStoppable
I'm Unstoppable

Send a message via AIM to JoeStoppable
I personally think Airmaster is well worth the download. Its just one of those animes u watch cause its cool. The moves are dope, and the characters are freakin awsome.

For the record though. I was actually going to stop watching this anime when I saw the very first episode. All because of a little girl named Renge. Most ANNOYING VOICE EVER!!!! I seriously couldnt take it. It was just too much for me. But I got used to her voice eventually. But WOW. I wanted to throw my comp out the window when I heard her voice and her cry for the first time.

HAHAHAHA But seirously it gets really cool. So i'm glad I stuck with it
Old 2004-11-12, 16:11   Link #186
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeStoppable
I personally think Airmaster is well worth the download.
Now that it's licensed, I hope that you'll also think that it is worth purchasing. I'm really happy that a whole new audience is going to be exposed to Airmaster.

Old 2004-11-12, 17:34   Link #187
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Heh just my luck, figured I'd try this one out then the license is gone. Ohwell I liked the first half. :P
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 14:56   Link #188
Retsoor

Spoiler for ending:
Retsoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 20:07   Link #189
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
man i wanted to see more of Shinnosuke but they didnt even show him in other fights his drunken boxing was reall cool
Old 2005-01-01, 20:15   Link #190
TwistedPower

Airmaster is very dred I hope they make more animes just like that!!! That will be the best. Not exactly like it but similar. HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KAMEHAMEHA!
TwistedPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 13:28   Link #191
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
That's funny I had a post on here. Oh RIGHT, some idiot caused the server to crash years ago so all our wonderful messages got deleted.

Well, I'll post again. Of course now what I have to say will be slightly different.

I LOVED THIS SERIES!! I certainly liked it better than 'Ikkitousen' <BLEH>
I was really estatic when the series was FINALLY licensed only to see it's end a short time later. It's a gawddamn shame I'll tell you! I can't understand why this series failed. I mean it's not so low on the bar that no one wasn't going to purchase it. I wonder if part of it was because 'Toei' messed up trying to sub it while it was being distributed through 'Geneon'? There has to be more to why it failed. I can't just see the poor sales being the cause. There has to be more to it than that. It seemed like they got out 4 vols. and decided to drop the rest in the trash can. Yet a show like 'Gaogaigar' which had practically a 0% - 1% chance of coming over, let alone get the sales from a selected group of fans that wanted it and it made it over and it's surviving. 'Air Master' died before it got off the ground. It wasn't the greatest thing but it certain wasn't so bad to receive a discontinuation. I wish I could understand this matter a little more.

*I am also an avid fan of 'GaoGaiGar as well.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 21:04   Link #192
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno View Post
I was really estatic when the series was FINALLY licensed only to see it's end a short time later. It's a gawddamn shame I'll tell you! I can't understand why this series failed. I mean it's not so low on the bar that no one wasn't going to purchase it. I wonder if part of it was because 'Toei' messed up trying to sub it while it was being distributed through 'Geneon'? There has to be more to why it failed. I can't just see the poor sales being the cause. There has to be more to it than that. It seemed like they got out 4 vols. and decided to drop the rest in the trash can. Yet a show like 'Gaogaigar' which had practically a 0% - 1% chance of coming over, let alone get the sales from a selected group of fans that wanted it and it made it over and it's surviving. 'Air Master' died before it got off the ground. It wasn't the greatest thing but it certain wasn't so bad to receive a discontinuation. I wish I could understand this matter a little more.

*I am also an avid fan of 'GaoGaiGar as well.
Airmaster, along with every other "license" (I say this because you don't really need to license a series to yourself if you already own them) from Toei America (http://www.toei-anim.com/) are dead and gone.

Toei america literaly is gone, and only Interlude (which was a 3 episode OVA) was finished. I don't believe any of their dvds are being made anymore at all (except perhaps Interlude). There has been no official announcement of them closing up shop completely, but, their website hasn't been updated in almost two years ...

It has nothing to do with geneon the distributor, and everything to do with the awful quality (primarily of the dubtitles).

There is almost no chance of these series to be released in full. To license them out to another company would be the same as admitting failure (that's why there's no official announcement), and they see no profit in continuing operations.

On a more general note, Toei animation has screwed up in the american anime market OVER AND OVER again. First it was with the screwy handling of DBZ and Sailor Moon (admittedly, that was in the early days of anime licensing...). Then, it was this ill-concieved Toei America business. Then, the licensing of One Piece to 4kids (and allowing them to completely butcher it). Combine that with the crappy handling of other big Toei products like Ojamajo Doremi, Toei track record in america is terrible.
Which is ironic because a lot of Toei anime series have done well in europe/south asia... It seems like they just can't handle america right.

Don't get me started on Pretty Cure... Isn't it a sad state of affairs when a show has been dubbed into Spanish, German, Italian, Cantonese, Korean, but not English.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 13:20   Link #193
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Airmaster, along with every other "license" (I say this because you don't really need to license a series to yourself if you already own them) from Toei America (http://www.toei-anim.com/) are dead and gone.

Toei america literaly is gone, and only Interlude (which was a 3 episode OVA) was finished. I don't believe any of their dvds are being made anymore at all (except perhaps Interlude). There has been no official announcement of them closing up shop completely, but, their website hasn't been updated in almost two years ...

It has nothing to do with geneon the distributor, and everything to do with the awful quality (primarily of the dubtitles).

There is almost no chance of these series to be released in full. To license them out to another company would be the same as admitting failure (that's why there's no official announcement), and they see no profit in continuing operations.

On a more general note, Toei animation has screwed up in the american anime market OVER AND OVER again. First it was with the screwy handling of DBZ and Sailor Moon (admittedly, that was in the early days of anime licensing...). Then, it was this ill-concieved Toei America business. Then, the licensing of One Piece to 4kids (and allowing them to completely butcher it). Combine that with the crappy handling of other big Toei products like Ojamajo Doremi, Toei track record in america is terrible.
Which is ironic because a lot of Toei anime series have done well in europe/south asia... It seems like they just can't handle america right.

Don't get me started on Pretty Cure... Isn't it a sad state of affairs when a show has been dubbed into Spanish, German, Italian, Cantonese, Korean, but not English.
Gee, that really is bad. I didn't realized how serious this case was with 'Toei'. I guess we'll never seen a better release of 'Air Master'. I guess 'Toei' isn't like 'Geneon' and other companies knowing what to do and how handle their products. And I remember reading the bad reviews for their stuff. It's like they didn't even know how to get the work released here. Damn, I really wanted to own this series. I wanted too so badly. Again it shows you that things get better care in other countries but here, something always goes wrong.

Thanks a lot for the info. 'Quarkboy'.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 02:40   Link #194
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

This series is full of crazy / stupid / freaky characters lol.... and the animation, specially of girls, is really ugly =(

The only good point on it is that it makes me laugh of how stupidly ridiculous it can get. The fights were pretty good but sometimes, specially in the last episode, u start wondering if Maki is human at all. The fact that she can jump and do those tricks in the air are believeable to some point but being slammed through concrete?

Best character of all are Renge, Julietta and Kaori xD

Last edited by incube; 2008-08-24 at 09:49.
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 09:47   Link #195
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsoor View Post
Spoiler for ending:
Anyone feels like answering this ? And also a bit of info about the last guy and the "Elders" the ghost girl mentions....
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 19:57   Link #196
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

The spirit comment doesn't really mean anything. Sakamoto got his joints broken too, but he could still move pretty well (which is even more unbelievable). Kinjiro was just weak. Maki has been turning midair for the entire show to minimize damage, and old buildings usually are weak. A couple of layers of thin walls isn't gonna be much.

She still lost, and that's all that matters in the end.

DOCKING MODE~
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 13:43   Link #197
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

STORY SECTION: 4/10 [I want to become the best in the world! (she jumps and her boobies bounce)]
General Scenario 1/2
Pacing 1/2
Side Stories 1/2
Believability/Reasoning/Realism 1/2
Conclusion 0/2

Maki is a famous female street fighter and other street fighters who want to make a name by defeating her constantly challenge her. She has no trouble accepting, as she loves fighting. When she is not fighting, she is taking part in comical situations with other high schoolers… That’s pretty much the story. Maki has some secrets about her past than reason her lust for battle but they are not much of a plot twist or dramatic backdrop. The ending was not at all satisfactory.
It is a simplistic tale; done with little effort to tell a story. It is more about making a joke actually; and that is what follows.

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 6/10 [Jump! Kick! Dodge! Swing! Pantsu shot! Roll ! Spin ! Boobies shot!]
Although it appears to be another typical Shounen series with brainless action and Ecchi scenes, Air Master is in fact a Seinen series, and a parody of the usual Shounen fighting and Ecchi anime. And it is rather good thanks to its Street Fighting theme. You won’t find many fighting anime were the protagonist fights only for his enjoyment (besides DBZ) or where an annoying little girl keeps screaming for even less reasons than usual. That is what makes it better than average but still not enough for a full menu of satisfaction.

ART SECTION: 8/10 [She looks great … from the feet and below]
General Artwork 1/2
Character Figures 2/2
Backgrounds 2/2
Animation 2/2
Visual Effects 1/2

- As far as fan service goes, you can easily be fooled to think it’s an Ecchi series because it always talks about breasts and such. But if you watch the characters and what they do you will not be able to find 1 female character capable of providing fan service. The protagonist and the other blond grappling girl are way to masculine to be beautiful, the little girl is way too much annoying to be considered Moe and the "big breasted girl’s" breasts are so huge that become ugly. Sexual references are more of a comic relief rather than arousing. There is also some yaoi for the female and the… not so male audience.
- The parody part plays out fine; most faces are intentionally drawn too round and ugly, as the series is trying to promote only well-built bodies and crazy-looking bad-asses.
- Action scenes are great to look at. Unlike most series, which focus on a specific martial art or supernatural motif, Air Master is based on Street Fighting, where everyone has his personal and unique blend of fighting. Fists, kicks, aerial attacks, grapples, swipes, everything seemed (and felt) better than the real thing.
- And not to forget to mention that the arena is not a typical empty square but parks, alleys and buildings. Their features become part of the battle and aid or stomp fighters, depending on the circumstances. Although the outcome is usually predictable, you really forget about the obvious and get absorbed in the action. Not many series are capable of doing that.
- Lightning/ Visual Effects are not too many and not too fake. Speed lines and spotlights in the most part; they are nice but not great.

SOUND SECTION: 5/10 [Errr… nothing.]
I find nothing to write here. Music themes and voice acting were completely mediocre… except for that little girl’s voice whose name I forget. She was annoying but did make things not so typical. Otherwise, it is plain average

CHARACTER SECTION: 5/10 [Son Goku grew breasts.]
Presence 2/2
Personality 1/2
Backdrop 1/2
Development 0/2
Catharsis 1/2

Don’t be fooled by the supposed drama, romance or seriousness the characters sometimes show. There is nothing to be taken seriously about them, as they are either beating or making fun of each other. They have some interest for not being gender-specific; as girls aren’t acting all shy and frail and boys aren’t that manly (part of the joke, I presume). They all have different quirks that make them even more unique. But, generally they are nothing you can’t find in similar series.

Maki, the leading female fighter, is funny just by being tall and na´ve. She fails to provide a serious side to her as she basically just cares to fight strong people (as if she is Goku in Dragonball Z) as a way to forget how empty her life really is. Everything else she is supposed to learn and mature during the series is bull; I only cared to see her fight and expose her underwear. Thus the cast makes an impact but it’s terrible at leaving lasting impressions.

Her friends in the school were uninteresting as hell, as they had no real personality or character development. Funny to look at but forgettable as soon as the series ended.

The bad guys… were not really bad guys. Fighters that just wanted to challenge Maki in a fight and didn’t plan to destroy the world don’t count as villains. But most were just beaten in an episode and then written out of the story. The last one (and of course, the strongest) gave some twist to this formula but he appeared too late to make any major impact.

VALUE SECTION: 2/10 [Folded on the rematch.]
Historical Value 0/3
Rewatchability 1/3
Memorability 1/4

Not really rewatchable, as the thrill only works once. There is not much of a story or perplex characters that can spur you to give it a second try. The humor or sexiness is not that great as well. At best, you will just scroll through the fighting scenes.

VERDICT: 5/10
The accused is found … GUILTY! … For slandering the system without solid evidence.

SUGGESTION LIST
Street Fighter Movies and King Of Fighters: Another Day . They are not Seinen but have awesome battle choreographies.
World’s Strongest Desciple Kenichi is also a parody of martial arts.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote