AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-10-28, 13:27   Link #241
Abashi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
that's a poor excuse!

if you have the will you'd be on the east cost already



but if you're very busy with work and you can't afford to take a vacation... then I understand...
I would have had i been able to! Even Mexico and Poland have more acceptance for yuri!

People here are way too conformist and closed minded and extreme about gender roles to accept anything even remotely similar to yuri. Anime in general is hardly accepted by anyone here. The only girls that like anime here are yaoi fan girls that aren't even interested in any other kind of anime. The guys into anime here are male chauvinists who threatened by a lot of the anime i am into, and the girls here would never like it because of political correctness that involves them. California has the most conservative conformist women in the freaking world!!!!
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.

Last edited by Abashi; 2010-10-28 at 13:38.
Abashi is offline  
Old 2010-10-28, 14:29   Link #242
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
I... have no idea what you're talking about.

*facepalm*

California has its problems, surely... like their weird socialist ideas about self-defense and gun ownership... and the overload of expensive "green energy" laws... but uh... "yuri" is a pretty niche genre of a niche form of media from another country.

So of course not many folks are going to like it. It's very, very niche.

In regards to LGBT acceptance in CA, it varies depending on where you live in the state. Some places are just as bad as Alabama or Tennessee, while others (such as San Francisco) are a lot more chill about it.

CA is sort of a problem for trans people though; CA residents are more used to seeing genderqueer types and are less likely to extrapolate feminine mannerisms to mean "a girl" instead of "a genderqueer dude/cross-dresser."

Which causes me and people I know lots of annoyance. I had better luck with people using the correct personal pronouns when I lived in Oklahoma.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline  
Old 2010-10-28, 15:05   Link #243
Syntron
Shiny Hardware
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Didn't the L Word teach us that there is a whole district in LA full of Lesbos? Some of these sure like yuri?
__________________
Syntron is offline  
Old 2010-10-28, 15:58   Link #244
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I... have no idea what you're talking about.

*facepalm*
I have to agree with synaesthetic here
__________________
Illya & Miyu from Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ☆ ILLYAMyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: RRW
Signature from: TheEroKing
Hooves is offline  
Old 2010-10-28, 16:45   Link #245
Abashi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Quote:
California has its problems, surely... like their weird socialist ideas about self-defense and gun ownership... and the overload of expensive "green energy" laws... but uh... "yuri" is a pretty niche genre of a niche form of media from another country.
There isn't enough of socialist ideas in this state, we are behind everybody else in education and social welfare. People in this state have a misconception that its on the left, simply because the majority of officials are Democrats. This is actually the most right-wing fascist state in the country, and one of the most in the world. As for the gun ownership and self defense, i agree.

Japanese media is much more taboo here than in other states because of the compatibility issues it has with the social philosophy here, in particular the women here. The maternal aspects of the female characters of japanese manga offend feminists on the west coast, while in the eastern/central states its considered to be more empowering to portray a female character as touchy-feely. Here in California, the men are the sole affection givers while women are cold and mean. That is why nobody here can understand the feminine concepts behind yuri, because here this is no recognition of that kind of feminitity.

Quote:
Didn't the L Word teach us that there is a whole district in LA full of Lesbos? Some of these sure like yuri?
Problem is, in California, there are gender role values that prevent people from being able to understand yuri. Even among otakus here, nobody can tolerate yuri because of their concept of what feminitity is, and for that reason even lesbians here would prefer to watch yaoi over yuri while on the east coast many straight girls will actually prefer yuri over yaoi.

Since men are the softer sex in California, the idea of the soft loving girls in yuri will never have any potential acceptance in this society, because here women are hard and men are soft.

I already knew the reason why nobody likes yuri on the west coast, even while its fairly accepted among otakus back east. Its because California's gender role concepts place the men as being the softer sex, while women being the hard independent sex.

Spoiler for if you don't believe me:
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Abashi is offline  
Old 2010-10-28, 18:15   Link #246
Abashi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I'm both female and gay.

Obviously I like yuri and don't care for yaoi. However, most "yuri" annoys me, because it doesn't actually have yuri in it. Often, it just has snooty ojousama types backbiting and double crossing each other...

If it's romance, I want it to be yuri. And if it's yuri, I want it to actually have yuri in it. And by that I mean sex. Which does not necessarily mean smut, either...
I love yuri, and wish they would make more of it that had it. I do not hate yaoi, i just hate that where i live all the girls like yaoi and nobody likes yuri, so i'm extremely jealous of it.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Abashi is offline  
Old 2010-10-28, 19:06   Link #247
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Academy City
Quote:
while on the east coast many straight girls will actually prefer yuri over yaoi.
Actually, I know a lot of straight girls here in New York that prefer BL, myself included. Not sure about the other states on the east coast though.
__________________
SuzushinaYuriko is offline  
Old 2010-10-28, 19:26   Link #248
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 23
Obviously you are incredibly ignorant about the state of California. San Diego, where you apparently reside, is conservative (There's a military base there), but there are several places in California that are quite different like San Francisco and Los Angeles.

By the way though, I think pr0n companies disagree with you on which one is more accepted or liked.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2010-10-28, 19:51   Link #249
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
@Abashi: Women are women regardless of where they are. Some of us are "hard" as you say--you would very likely describe me as "hard," because I'm aggressive, ambitious, confrontational, don't take shit from anyone, don't mince words and am brutally honest.

But that doesn't have anything to do with how I dress, the makeup I wear, and how many pairs of shoes I have. I get really tired of people equating feminine fashion sense with the behavior of a vapid bit of useless fluff. I am not a decorative object, and I do not think I should have to dress like a dyke just to prove that I'm not.

I like wearing short skirts, thigh-high stockings, heels, and all that girly shit. That doesn't mean I'm "soft" or weak. And just because I'm an aggressive person does not mean that I'm a cold-hearted bitch, either.

You really make a lot of assumptions here. It sounds to me like you've been treated harshly by women in the past, because you sure seem to dislike them.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline  
Old 2010-10-28, 21:12   Link #250
Abashi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
@Abashi: Women are women regardless of where they are. Some of us are "hard" as you say--you would very likely describe me as "hard," because I'm aggressive, ambitious, confrontational, don't take shit from anyone, don't mince words and am brutally honest.

But that doesn't have anything to do with how I dress, the makeup I wear, and how many pairs of shoes I have. I get really tired of people equating feminine fashion sense with the behavior of a vapid bit of useless fluff. I am not a decorative object, and I do not think I should have to dress like a dyke just to prove that I'm not.

I like wearing short skirts, thigh-high stockings, heels, and all that girly shit. That doesn't mean I'm "soft" or weak. And just because I'm an aggressive person does not mean that I'm a cold-hearted bitch, either.

You really make a lot of assumptions here. It sounds to me like you've been treated harshly by women in the past, because you sure seem to dislike them.
Not quite what i meant actually. Hard generally means not showing much emotion and being invulnerable, while soft is showing a lot of affection and emotion and being sensitive. Men here are showing off emotion and not controlling their physically affectionate behaviors while women are holding it all in. That is what i meant.

I would consider myself to be hard on the outside, but softer and more sensitive on the inside, shy and non-aggressive.

Actually, i'm a man-hater, not a misogynist. I have been attacked a lot by men, while being shunned by women. That is partly what is causing my disdain for gender roles down here.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Abashi is offline  
Old 2010-10-29, 01:43   Link #251
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abashi View Post
Not quite what i meant actually. Hard generally means not showing much emotion and being invulnerable, while soft is showing a lot of affection and emotion and being sensitive. Men here are showing off emotion and not controlling their physically affectionate behaviors while women are holding it all in. That is what i meant.

I would consider myself to be hard on the outside, but softer and more sensitive on the inside, shy and non-aggressive.

Actually, i'm a man-hater, not a misogynist. I have been attacked a lot by men, while being shunned by women. That is partly what is causing my disdain for gender roles down here.
*Glomps*

You wouldn't hate meeee (Even though I dun know you)
__________________
Otaku Emperor is offline  
Old 2010-10-29, 01:58   Link #252
Abashi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Among anime fans in eastern and central states, there is a mix between yuri and yaoi fans, most in which are girls.

Among anime fans on the west coast, very few fans are girls, and all the girls only like yaoi, and absolutely nobody likes yuri.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Abashi is offline  
Old 2010-10-29, 02:22   Link #253
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abashi View Post
Among anime fans in eastern and central states, there is a mix between yuri and yaoi fans, most in which are girls.

Among anime fans on the west coast, very few fans are girls, and all the girls only like yaoi, and absolutely nobody likes yuri.
Only a Sith deals with Absolutes.

*Ahem* Aka, basically you can't say something is absolute, cause there is always some who do or do not like it.

For example, I happen to know 2 girls who happen to be Yuri fans. Whom are a couple. And I live in the West (AKA Australia)

There, your logic has just been shot down.
__________________
Otaku Emperor is offline  
Old 2010-10-29, 04:10   Link #254
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abashi View Post
Among anime fans in eastern and central states, there is a mix between yuri and yaoi fans, most in which are girls.

Among anime fans on the west coast, very few fans are girls, and all the girls only like yaoi, and absolutely nobody likes yuri.
You might want to confine sweeping assertions to areas you know about...

the west coast also includes the Pacific Northwest (Northern Cal, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia) and I can guarantee up here there are some yuri fans of both sexes; there are some girls who don't like yaoi and some that do like yaoi but also like other genre.
__________________
Vexx is offline  
Old 2010-10-29, 05:36   Link #255
Syntron
Shiny Hardware
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abashi View Post
Among anime fans in eastern and central states, there is a mix between yuri and yaoi fans, most in which are girls.

Among anime fans on the west coast, very few fans are girls, and all the girls only like yaoi, and absolutely nobody likes yuri.
Open a group on Facebook, call it "Westcoast Yuri Fans" and wait.

Edit: Wait, are you using my signature image? Without even asking?
__________________

Last edited by Syntron; 2010-10-29 at 05:44. Reason: i dont even...
Syntron is offline  
Old 2010-10-29, 05:57   Link #256
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Open a group on Facebook, call it "Westcoast Yuri Fans" and wait.

Edit: Wait, are you using my signature image? Without even asking?
Naw, it's not the same one.

Your just imagening things.

Now just sit there while I steal your bike >:3
__________________
Otaku Emperor is offline  
Old 2010-10-29, 15:39   Link #257
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Open a group on Facebook, call it "Westcoast Yuri Fans" and wait.
Well that is one way to find Yuri Fans on the West Coast
__________________
Illya & Miyu from Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ☆ ILLYAMyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: RRW
Signature from: TheEroKing
Hooves is offline  
Old 2010-10-29, 15:40   Link #258
Abashi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You might want to confine sweeping assertions to areas you know about...

the west coast also includes the Pacific Northwest (Northern Cal, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia) and I can guarantee up here there are some yuri fans of both sexes; there are some girls who don't like yaoi and some that do like yaoi but also like other genre.
Here in California, the few fangirls will like one thing that plays on the tv, and all the rest of what they like is yaoi. Although, almost all anime fans here are males, and anime fans only exist in large urban centers. In other states, small towns tend to have at least a few anime fans in them, even one into yuri. But here in California, only in the inner city do anime fans exist at all. I am the only yuri lover in California, and i am the only anime lover in northern San Diego county.

Last edited by Abashi; 2010-10-29 at 16:00.
Abashi is offline  
Old 2010-10-29, 16:26   Link #259
Sheba
*singing In the Navy*
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base partying with the Sendai sisters
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abashi View Post
I am the only yuri lover in California, and i am the only anime lover in northern San Diego county.
I am not living in America but this is the part where I am laughing. In what America are you living? The one under the senator McCarthy leading his Witch Hunts? I am not buying that someone can be the only one of something in a state as big as an european state.
Sheba is offline  
Old 2010-10-29, 18:23   Link #260
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abashi View Post
Here in California, the few fangirls will like one thing that plays on the tv, and all the rest of what they like is yaoi. Although, almost all anime fans here are males, and anime fans only exist in large urban centers. In other states, small towns tend to have at least a few anime fans in them, even one into yuri. But here in California, only in the inner city do anime fans exist at all. I am the only yuri lover in California, and i am the only anime lover in northern San Diego county.
Never say only unless you have actually checked every single person.

Theres always a chance of another anime fan.

I recommend you substitute the word only for one of the only, and substiute the word no, for not as many when making these kind of statements.

I already proved your point about Yuri fangirls existing in the West. And I'm sure there is some Otaku's in Californa. You just have to look harder.

Anyway, try to use less absolutes in your statements, or your just gonna look silly :3
__________________
Otaku Emperor is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
yaoi, yuri

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.