AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Old 2008-10-27, 22:56   Link #1
mailyn

Help with out of synch video/audio/subs

Greetings all!

I'm new here and I wanted to ask for help. I've used the KMP player for years and never had a problem with any file types except for now. When I try to play mkv files the audio, video and subs are out of synch.

I tried looking in the "how to play" topic but I don't think that covers my problem. I do have the CCC codec pack installed but I still don't get wha's going on since the player is only having problems with that file type.

Any help woul be appreciated.

Oh and I noticed there was a similar thread but it's from 2006 so that's why I opened a new one,

Thanks!
Old 2008-10-27, 23:19   Link #2
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Well, to start things off...
Quote:
Download the CCCP Insurgent and:
1. Tools > Test Render > "problem file"
2. Tools > Media Information > "problem file"
3. Tools > CRC Check > "problem file"
4. File > Save Log > Paste the output here.
Rawgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 23:48   Link #3
mailyn

Sure thing! OK, this is what it said:

Spoiler for see log:
Old 2008-10-28, 00:10   Link #4
Rahan

I suggest you buy a graphic card.

S3G is an integrated chipset on your motherboard and it cannot process something as ressource-hungry as HD video.
With my old Geforce fx5200 128 Mo, most of the 1024*576 files didn't work properly. There is no way you could play a 1280*720 file with a S3G 64 MO IMHO
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 00:47   Link #5
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
I suggest you buy a graphic card.

S3G is an integrated chipset on your motherboard and it cannot process something as ressource-hungry as HD video.
With my old Geforce fx5200 128 Mo, most of the 1024*576 files didn't work properly. There is no way you could play a 1280*720 file with a S3G 64 MO IMHO
I believe that the processor is more important than the graphic card when watching videos (correct me if I'm wrong). I have a Geforce 4 MX 440, and a pretty slow processor (slower than OP) but I can run 1024*576 videos fine (but struggles a bit on 720p)

To OP:
I've noticed something unusual in the insurgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailyn View Post
[Codec/Filter Packs]
[1 detected]
1> Combined Community Codec Pack (Uninstalled)
Perhaps try uninstalling CCCP, restart computer, and installing it again.

I'm not very savy with insurgent, so hopefully someone that knows more about it can help (if this step did not help.)
Old 2008-10-28, 04:26   Link #6
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

720p on that slow a processor? Good luck with that.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 11:42   Link #7
mailyn

So which would it be? The graphic card? Processor? I'm confused.

I don't know if it's important but I watch dvds in my computer all the time an haven't had any problems.
Old 2008-10-28, 15:46   Link #8
Milvus

I have almost no problem with my Athlon XP 2600+ and Radeon 9600SE to run H.264 720p video. Some jerkyness with high motion openings (Kureai, Bounen no Xamdou...), but 99% of time it just work. So I do believe your CPU is quite enough. I see two possible explanations :

- One or more crapware running in the background. Try closing any unneccessary software while playing the file. Including auto-updater, "quickstart" or any other nonsense cpu eater.
- The integrated graphic controller is the bottleneck. Buying even one the cheapest modern graphic card should be more than enough. Some more RAM could also help you for video playback and many other things.

Just to be sure, you could also try a video player which does not rely on DirectShow, like SMPlayer. It's a MPlayer GUI, very efficient and nice to use.
Milvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 22:05   Link #9
Shadow Kira01

To play H.264 MKV files, you will need to get the CCCP codec pack and also the VLC player which can be both found here. You should also get the Haali Media Splitter and the FFDshow as well.

If you have all of that and it still doesn't work. It might be the case that your pc is using too much virtual memory and it would be a wise idea to close all programs before trying to play 720p video files, because it might cause glitches (sync-related issues) or the player itself will just simply freeze, unless your pc is extremely fast and have tons of RAM.

Personally, I don't see the differences between the high quality mkv and the standard quality xvid. Its like comparing Blue Ray with regular DVD-5. Aside from the fact that the file is extra large, the quality isn't that much of a big deal. Nonetheless, everybody has a different perspective when it comes to HD-quality.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 22:34   Link #10
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
To play H.264 MKV files, you will need to get the CCCP codec pack and also the VLC player which can be both found here. You should also get the Haali Media Splitter and the FFDshow as well.
First off, VLC does not need you to download codecs so what would be the point of downloading CCCP.. Plus, you should not use VLC, use MPC. Also, CCCP comes with Haali Media Splitter and FFDshow, so there is no point in downloading it.

I also found pretty high quality videos working on this crappy computer with the help of CoreAVC. Get that somewhere (purchasing or secret methods) and remember to change the CCCP settings by unchecking h264 (if using CoreAVC)
Old 2008-10-29, 03:08   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
So which would it be? The graphic card? Processor? I'm confused.

I don't know if it's important but I watch dvds in my computer all the time an haven't had any problems.
Almost always the answer to your first question is the computer's CPU, not the graphics card. Some very recent graphics cards contain circuitry to decode H.264 video themselves, but the software that is playing the video needs to have hooks to exploit the graphics card's decoding hardware. Most player software, especially free players, don't yet have the necessary code. Some commercial players, like PowerDVD, do take advantage of decoding circuitry on the graphics card if available.

As to your second question, regular DVDs use the older MPEG2 encoding method which is much less compact than H.264. The higher compression ratios for H.264 mean that your computer has to do more work when decoding the file for display than it does decoding a DVD stream. H.264 is also more highly compressed than other MPEG4 codecs like XviD, so your computer may be able to display the latter but not the former.

As Rawgers mentions, a lot of Windows users have found installing CoreAVC to be an effective method for decoding H.264 video on older computers. Mplayer users like me can improve decoding speeds by taking advantage of some of the more obscure options included in that program, particularly the option "-lavdopts skiploopfilter=all:fast". If your computer has dual or quad cores, adding ":threads=2" or ":threads=4" to that list may also help.

My favorite testing platform for playing with H.264 decoding options is the OP to Kure-nai in the BSS subs. If your computer can play that without lagging, you shouldn't have many other decoding problems.
Old 2008-10-29, 03:29   Link #12
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The higher compression ratios for H.264 mean that your computer has to do more work when decoding the file for display
No, actually, the higher the bitrate (and thus the lower the compression), the higher the CPU cost of decoding. A really low bitrate H.264 file will decode much faster than a high bitrate one.

The reason MPEG-2 is faster than H.264 is simply because it is a less complex format.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-29, 11:48   Link #13
mailyn

So the answer would be to get CoreAVC?

I have another question, if I wanted to can I just simply plug a cable from my computer to the tv and just watch it there?
Old 2008-10-29, 17:27   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I have another question, if I wanted to can I just simply plug a cable from my computer to the tv and just watch it there?
Answer here.
Old 2008-10-29, 19:07   Link #15
cyberbeing

Quote:
So the answer would be to get CoreAVC?
You may as well download the CoreAVC 14 day trial and see if it fixes your problem.
Old 2008-10-29, 21:24   Link #16
mailyn

Thanks everyone! I'm going to dl the program and see if that helps. ^_^