AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-03-25, 03:55   Link #281
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
The background image was a PNG. It appears that layering PNGs and JPGs exposes differences across operating systems and browsers. Making everything JPGs seems to have fixed all the issues on everything I've been able to taste so far. Presumably because the rendering is at least internally consistent / consistent with itself. Incidentally, I only checked a few of the images but, I don't think any of them have embedded profiles so that shouldn't be causing problems.
Ah, OK it was just that. Somehow managed to get the impression that there were problems even with JPEG gradient.

Thanks for answering.
Old 2009-03-25, 04:38   Link #282
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
Somehow managed to get the impression that there were problems even with JPEG gradient.
Based on the comments of some people with sharp eyesight, there is might be a slight discrepancy in between the background gradient and the banners. It is slight enough for most people to never notice it and for it to not be worth my time fixing it. If the banner creators think there is a problem with their banner and want to submit a corrected version, they can; I am not going to do anything about it beyond that.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 04:50   Link #283
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I noticed the issue early on in the contest, but it took me quite a few times when checking entries before I noticed it. I decided that since the issue was only noticeable under extreme observation that it wasn't enough of a problem to bring up, and focused on working with the creators on entries where the line was more pronounced.

I'll echo NightWish's thoughts on this and say that it really is too slight of a problem to fuss over.
Old 2009-03-29, 06:51   Link #284
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
I can't see the banners on top in neither Firefox nor IE. Anyone know what's the cause?
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 07:12   Link #285
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The following is a direct link: http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...2009/03/01.jpg

What do you see when you open it?
Old 2009-03-29, 18:00   Link #286
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Nothing. Just plain white.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 13:01   Link #287
Reki34

Hi hi, pardon but what anime's are 2,4 and 6 from?? Many thanks..

Reki
Reki34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 13:08   Link #288
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

If you are referring to the banners as listed in this thread, then:

2 - Higurashi

4 - Vocaloid characters Kagamine Rin and Len (not anime; see Wikipedia for more info)

6 - ef ~a tale of memories~ (I think, not sure though, and the art used is probably from the game, not anime)
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 22:08   Link #289
Triple_R
"...Why?!", Sailor Faerie
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
We should just make it simple: everyone get's one submission and the staff chooses their favorites.
Yeah, that sounds good to me too.

Maybe put a 'Sticky' post up on the General Anime and/or Fan Creations forums that the AS Moderating Staff is taking up to one submission per AS member for new banners, with a deadline for submissions. After that deadline (I'll tentatively throw out October 14th, 2011 as a suggestion for a deadline here), the AS Moderating Staff could evaluate all the submissions, and then choose a few favorites.

What do other people here think?

Most importantly, of course, what does the Anime Suki moderating staff think of this idea?
Old 2011-09-15, 00:10   Link #290
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Might be something fun for the mods to do as something different from all the fire fighting.
Old 2011-09-15, 05:19   Link #291
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I think this sort of "simple" contest is most likely to work. The fancier contests are fun, but they take a lot of work to organize, and the stress involved isn't necessarily worth it.

To further the proposal above, here's what I'm thinking as a rough concept:
  1. First, we need to pick the "gradient" for the background of the top bar. As with all previous contests, all images must blend seemlessly with this gradient. (Is the current purple gradient fine? If not, I can try to find the others we've chosen in the past.)
  2. We create a new thread somewhere for this contest. Each person may post once (and only once) in said thread. They can certainly edit their posts at will for the duration of the contest. The thread is only to be used for submissions (all other posts will be deleted); if we need to create a "discussion" thread we can do that separately.
  3. The thread remains open for a predefined period of time. (I'm okay with the one-month window proposed.)
  4. On the deadline date, the thread is locked and whatever submission is in each post will be considered.
  5. The staff who wish to be involved will determine a method to choose a predetermined number of winners. (Method TBD. Depends on how many people want to be involved.)
This isn't a perfect approach (I can already see a few flaws), but at least it's simple and requires little-to-no logistics.

I don't know if we need a theme this time. I think, as was mentioned, the amount of new shows since the last contest provide plenty of material this time around.

Does this seem reasonable?
Old 2011-09-15, 07:00   Link #292
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Is there really an issue to with having people choosing their own gradient/what-ever. I'm not saying don't have a default, just give people the choice (if they wish).

Must it be centered? I'm sure left aligned banners would look just as fine, and offer some more design options.

You've yet to mention the infamous text restraints on the banner.

You've yet to clarify if the banners are to strictly use material related to only anime shows; ie. no games, no fanart, etc.

+1 to single submission

[edit]

Also formats, size and dimentions.

Are GIFs allowed? Are APNG allowed? Is the width still the same? Is the hight constraint still the same?
Old 2011-09-15, 07:29   Link #293
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think this sort of "simple" contest is most likely to work. The fancier contests are fun, but they take a lot of work to organize, and the stress involved isn't necessarily worth it.

1. First, we need to pick the "gradient" for the background of the top bar. As with all previous contests, all images must blend seemlessly with this gradient. (Is the current purple gradient fine? If not, I can try to find the others we've chosen in the past.)
  2. We create a new thread somewhere for this contest. Each person may post once (and only once) in said thread. They can certainly edit their posts at will for the duration of the contest. The thread is only to be used for submissions (all other posts will be deleted); if we need to create a "discussion" thread we can do that separately.
  3. The thread remains open for a predefined period of time. (I'm okay with the one-month window proposed.)
  4. On the deadline date, the thread is locked and whatever submission is in each post will be considered.
  5. The staff who wish to be involved will determine a method to choose a predetermined number of winners. (Method TBD. Depends on how many people want to be involved.)
This isn't a perfect approach (I can already see a few flaws), but at least it's simple and requires little-to-no logistics.

I don't know if we need a theme this time. I think, as was mentioned, the amount of new shows since the last contest provide plenty of material this time around.

That sounds very reasonable. Just put a nice disclaimer that no one is allowed to cry, hah.

Oh, and change the code so the image is truly picked randomly. And what of the older ones? I hope we can leave those in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Is there really an issue to with having people choosing their own gradient/what-ever. I'm not saying don't have a default, just give people the choice (if they wish).

Must it be centered? I'm sure left aligned banners would look just as fine, and offer some more design options.

You've yet to clarify if the banners are to strictly use material related to only anime shows; ie. no games, no fanart, etc.

+1 to single submission

[edit]

Also formats, size and dimentions.

Are GIFs allowed? Are APNG allowed? Is the width still the same? Is the hight constraint still the same?
I think it's obvious that those requirements will be stated in the submission post.

And centering and no text looks good - centering is above the breadcrumb menu and no text means nothing is taken away from the image. I like the purple gradient since it too flows with the color scheme. It grabs your attention but it doesn't distract you too much. It all flows. Changing anything like that will take time and let's not waste anymore, what we have works.
Old 2011-09-15, 07:32   Link #294
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The submission thread won't allow you to post with out providing a submission so it's better if a draft on those requirements is crafted here.
Old 2011-09-15, 09:19   Link #295
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post

That is indeed very reasonable.

It would probably be best that we keep as many of the old ones as possible. I can certainly understand how we might need to remove a few in order to get the banner display system to function right, but a wholesale 100% change of all the banners would probably be a bit too jarring, particularly for veteran members here.

For gradient, I'd probably be fine with almost any color. My preferences, though, would be stick with purple or move to black. For some reason, I think a black gradient might look cool.

Quote:

I think that it helps for the banners to have uniform alignment. Again, less jarring that way. So if we keep even just one of the current/older banners, then we should go with center alignment as a rule.

Quote:

I agree with DragoZERO here too. No text means that nothing is taking away from the image.

Quote:

I'd personally rather see the banners relate only to anime shows. This is first and foremost an anime site, imo. I suspect that a solid majority of the discussions here are anime-related in nature. If most of the banners are of games and yet-to-be-adapted manga (or fanart of original characters) then I think that wouldn't really reflect well the spirit and primary content of Anime Suki.

Quote:
+1 to single submission
That's both simple and fair, agreed.

Quote:
I'd prefer what we already have in these areas.

The nice thing about the Anime Suki banners is that they can be pleasant to look at, but they're not distracting, as they're very easy to ignore if you so choose. I can't speak for anybody else, but having a GIF going at the top of the page would be really distracting to me.

Anyway, my thanks to RelentlessFlame and Solace for addressing this quickly and very well thus far.
Old 2011-09-15, 10:06   Link #296
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I think you all misunderstand something. All the "animesuki forums" text in the banners is there because it was explicitly mentioned in the rules. More importantly it was also explicitly mentions that it needs to appear at the very center of the banner! The banners never allowed any addition text just FYI.

I doubt they'll allow us NOT to add the text. The question is if the old rules still fully apply.

Quote:
I think that it helps for the banners to have uniform alignment. Again, less jarring that way. So if we keep even just one of the current/older banners, then we should go with center alignment as a rule.
Older banners were mixed in before. The whole old & new doesn't work... I believe mainly it just runins the whole "fresh look" you get by having all new ones.

Quote:
And centering and no text looks good - centering is above the breadcrumb menu
Actually it's above negative space. If it was left centered it would be above the breadcrums and central options some of us use often (control panel, etc).

Also, I don't think you understand, but because it's centered, the images used must be scaled down a lot; unless the source you use is really narrow (it's a problem with side blending, and the fact you actually need to allow for a lot of room to do it). As you can see from the ones now and the submissions, all of them are generally far-away shots. By having it left aligned you have extra clip space on the left side, allowing for close-ups.

Last edited by felix; 2011-09-15 at 10:17.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 11:19   Link #297
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I think you all misunderstand something. All the "animesuki forums" text in the banners is there because it was explicitly mentioned in the rules. More importantly it was also explicitly mentions that it needs to appear at the very center of the banner! The banners never allowed any addition text just FYI.

I doubt they'll allow us NOT to add the text. The question is if the old rules still fully apply.
I see. I kind of like having the "animesuki forums" text there, but I don't really care that much about it either way.

Quote:
Older banners were mixed in before. The whole old & new doesn't work... I believe mainly it just runins the whole "fresh look" you get by having all new ones.
I see your point. Well, just speaking for myself of course, I don't particularly care either way.

My goals/hopes on this topic are simple:

1) Get some new banners, showcasing anime shows that have come out in the last year or two.

2) No GIFs plz, thnx.

Anything beyond that, I'm willing to roll with either way.

Quote:

Also, I don't think you understand, but because it's centered, the images used must be scaled down a lot; unless the source you use is really narrow (it's a problem with side blending, and the fact you actually need to allow for a lot of room to do it). As you can see from the ones now and the submissions, all of them are generally far-away shots. By having it left aligned you have extra clip space on the left side, allowing for close-ups.
Interesting point. And no, I wasn't aware of that. Well, maybe it would be best to allow left-aligned banner work.
Old 2011-09-15, 21:33   Link #298
relentlessflame

*Administrator

For now, my proposal would be that all the old rules would apply re: format/size, common gradient, centering, text, and all other established requirements (incl. characters from anime only). Again, the goal here is to just get us something new for now. That doesn't mean we can't do something different for a future contest (there may be valid reasons for some proposed changes), but I don't want to waste any time making any changes to the way the current system works. Let's just get something going.

I'll try to see if I can find the gradients that have been used in the past so we can pick the one we'll use this time.

Edit: It looks like the old gradients have mostly been deleted from this thread. They're probably able to found somewhere, but I wonder again if in the interests in time it might be better to just stick with what we have as a base. To be clear, I do like some of the ideas that were proposed (like left-aligned, no text, etc... I think that might look sharp), but I just don't want to add any delays. At least what we have now is working.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-09-15 at 22:23.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 22:27   Link #299
CrowKenobi

These were the ones I had.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 22:45   Link #300
Triple_R
*Author

Of those five, I like the black one best, but I'm cool with either of them (except maybe orange, as it kind of seems too bright for a background, imo).

But yeah, on the whole, I'm with RelentlessFlame here. Let's try to make this speedy, and hope that by Halloween we have some nice new banners to look at when we visit Anime Suki.

Tags
banner contest, banners, contest