AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-01-25, 00:45   Link #181
Shadow Kira01

Although Obama seems to be doing okay right now, kinda of like the "so far, so good" scenario but.. For some reason, I don't feel very optimistic about it. From the looks of his cabinet, it gives the impression that Obama is going to reverse America back to the era of the Clinton leadership. It was also around that time in which Bill Clinton had placed priorities into building a strong relationship with China and signed a permanent free trade agreement between the two nations which had slowly developed into the economic recession of today. Thanks to Bush's policies, the process of it speed up drastically and now, the world has fell into a recession state. It is unfortunate but the era of the blame game has passed, what is more important is to fix the financial crisis as soon as possible.

Nonetheless, considering the circumstances of the current economic situation, the world don't have much of a choice but to believe in the intelligent and talented Barack Obama and hopefully, he and his powerful cabinet will be able to reverse the financial turmoil into better shape. He has made a historic breakthrough for the United States into becoming the first Black American president and hopefully, Obama will both America and the world out of the recession, into an era of peace and prosperity.
Old 2009-01-26, 22:04   Link #182
mg1942

This is one explosive. This is gonna cause some people to raise eyebrows

mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 22:19   Link #183
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Damn the political correctness. Who cares about someone's skin color? Why the heck are we still talking about skin color when our president is black FFS?!

Waah the disadvantaged minorities!

Our president came from a minority population! Damn!

Damn whiners!
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 22:44   Link #184
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I'm going to be quite blunt and I know this will be offensive, but it's something that's been dabbling within the mindset I have here at home and school.

Though Obama maybe be Black on the outside it is quite evident that his upbringing and as such his "Inside" is noticebly "White". Its highly sterotypical but in the most extreme case its true.

People are peering into skin colour too much and making a big deal for Obama and his election. I'm skeptical about all this stuff about racism suddenly disappearing in an instance, that type of change doesn't happen overnight or over a period of months. But Obama is proving he isn't all talk which is more important than being a traditionally different colour.

Good luck Americians atleast you guys having some change, we're still aboard the Harper Train.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 23:28   Link #185
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Racism and inequities in opportunity still run rampant. How we mitigate that is always up for debate.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 21:38   Link #186
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
For some reason, I don't feel very optimistic about it. From the looks of his cabinet, it gives the impression that Obama is going to reverse America back to the era of the Clinton leadership. It was also around that time in which Bill Clinton had placed priorities into building a strong relationship with China and signed a permanent free trade agreement
What's so bad about having good relations with China? I wish Japan would do he same.

Quote:
between the two nations which had slowly developed into the economic recession of today. Thanks to Bush's policies, the process of it speed up drastically and now, the world has fell into a recession state.
Bush was the one that started it all. What does Clinton have to do with this?
Old 2009-01-27, 22:12   Link #187
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Causes for our economic problems today came before Bush.

Bush made no serious effort to hold down excessive spending, and even proposed increases in the budgets of such discredited groups as the United Nations and the National Endowment for the Arts. He deserves part of the blame for letting spending and the national debt spiral out of control.

However, the causes of our economic woes originate before Bush. During the Clinton years, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were encouraged to issue loans and mortgages to people who could not possibly afford to pay them back. Banks were pressured to follow the example of these two quasi-independent mortgage giants.

Upon the insistence of Chris Dodd, the top Democrat on the Senate Banking Committee, and Barney Frank, the top Democrat on the House Financial Services Committee, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were required to issue more than 30 percent of their mortgages to people below a certain income. A few years later, the requirement was raised to more than 50 percent. These two Democrats and their fellow liberals convinced enough wavering Republicans to go along with them by saying the GOP was against the poor people and minorities.

These mega-millions of dollars of bad loans are a big cause of our economic meltdown.
Old 2009-01-27, 22:13   Link #188
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
However, the principal causes of our economic woes originate before Bush. During the Clinton years, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were encouraged to issue loans and mortgages to people who could not possibly afford to pay them back. Banks were pressured to follow the example of these two quasi-independent mortgage giants.

Upon the insistence of Chris Dodd, the top Democrat on the Senate Banking Committee, and Barney Frank, the top Democrat on the House Financial Services Committee, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were required to issue more than 30 percent of their mortgages to people below a certain income. A few years later, the requirement was raised to more than 50 percent. These two Democrats and their fellow liberals convinced enough wavering Republicans to go along with them by screaming that the GOP was against the poor people and minorities.
Ah. Something that remains unreported. Thanks for the info. After all, I'm more specialized in East Asian affairs, usually ASEAN+Japan.
Old 2009-01-28, 01:08   Link #189
Shadow Kira01

Divided US House to hand Obama stimulus win

I hope Obama's stimulus package will do something to change the financial crisis to a more positive light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
What's so bad about having good relations with China? I wish Japan would do he same.
I hope not, unless some important bilateral issues are resolved first. It's not that it is a bad idea to have good bilateral ties with China but rather to say that such ties are usually not on an equal footing. China usually makes unreasonable demands in which having good bilateral ties usually mean benefiting them while putting one's own nation into the disadvantageous region which is nonsensical. However, as long as the bilateral ties are maintained better than the Israel/Palestine ties, it is pretty much considered as a pass. There is no need to elaborate.

Quote:
It depends on how much you know about the situation. However, that is no longer important as long as Obama fixes the economic recession. Nowadays, most people prefer to see a resolution to the global economic turmoil rather than decide on who's fault was it since that has no meaning to it.
Old 2009-01-28, 02:16   Link #190
Cluelessly

I believe about 66% of the money is going to states, not toward federal spending.

Some is for "investment" and such, but a large portion will be going toward balancing state budgets.

You know, if this money is used to balance the budget, what about 2010? 2011? And so forth...

Spoiler for might ruin your day:

Clinton (and Congress) deserve a good amount of grief for Glass-Steagall among other things.

Last edited by Cluelessly; 2009-01-28 at 02:36.
Cluelessly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 04:56   Link #191
sikvod00

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Causes for our economic problems today came before Bush.

Bush made no serious effort to hold down excessive spending, and even proposed increases in the budgets of such discredited groups as the United Nations and the National Endowment for the Arts. He deserves part of the blame for letting spending and the national debt spiral out of control.

However, the causes of our economic woes originate before Bush. During the Clinton years, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were encouraged to issue loans and mortgages to people who could not possibly afford to pay them back. Banks were pressured to follow the example of these two quasi-independent mortgage giants.

Upon the insistence of Chris Dodd, the top Democrat on the Senate Banking Committee, and Barney Frank, the top Democrat on the House Financial Services Committee, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were required to issue more than 30 percent of their mortgages to people below a certain income. A few years later, the requirement was raised to more than 50 percent. These two Democrats and their fellow liberals convinced enough wavering Republicans to go along with them by saying the GOP was against the poor people and minorities.

These mega-millions of dollars of bad loans are a big cause of our economic meltdown.
That's unfair. Just like you cannot solely blame Bush for the current economic crisis, you also can't place all or most of the blame on the Democrats for supporting the Community Reinvestment Act. The vast majority of subprime loans were offered by financial institutions that were not governed by the CRA; in 2006 that number was more than 80%. Also, the CRA only applies to depository institutions, which are subject to very comprehensive regulations, unlike their affiliates and independent mortgage companies. I agree that they're a part of the home foreclosure crisis, but no where near what you make them out to be.

If you want a more objective explanation for what were the causes, I suggest you read this article by FactCheck.org. Their analysis is concise but far more accurate and in-depth than the partisan crap that the talking heads and pundits spew. Here's a quick summary of their list of "culprits" (and yes, Bush is included):

Spoiler for Whose to blame for the financial crisis?:

Last edited by sikvod00; 2009-01-28 at 05:40.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 11:28   Link #192
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Obama keeps Bush policy of missile strikes on Pakistan
Quote:
Washington (Jan 27): President Barack Obama is retaining a powerful but controversial weapon left over from the Bush administration's war on terror: Predator missile strikes on Pakistan.

Defence Secretary Robert Gates signalled to senators on Tuesday (Jan 27) that the missile strikes will continue. He did not directly refer to the Predator hunt-and-kill drone programme but said the United States would continue to strike at Al-Qaeda in Pakistan along its border with Afghanistan.

Senior Obama administration and Capitol Hill officials say the Predator strikes are effective, and there is no plan to discontinue the programme. The attacks have strained US relations with Pakistan, which has urged Mr Obama to halt them.

Pakistan was struck last week by missiles that killed at least 22 people. The strike was part of a continuing wave of more than 30 missile attacks since last August.

In a testimony on Tuesday to the Senate Armed Services Committee, Mr Gates said Mr Obama and former president George W. Bush were twinned in their efforts to pursue Al-Qaeda. "Both President Bush and President Obama have made clear that we will go after Al-Qaeda wherever Al-Qaeda is, and we will continue to pursue them," he said.

Last week, Pakistan said civilians were killed along with eight suspected foreign militants, including an Egyptian Al-Qaeda operative, in twin strikes on the Waziristan region, long suspected to be Al-Qaeda's safe haven in Pakistan.

The CIA expects every Predator strike to generate claims of civilians being killed. A recently retired US intelligence official said attempts to verify those claims with human sources on the ground usually take up to three days.

Mr Roger Cressey, a counterterrorism official in the Clinton and Bush administrations, said Mr Obama's team is also seeking a broader strategy for combating Al-Qaeda in Pakistan. That would include getting better intelligence to isolate terrorists before attacks and hence reduce civilian casualties, he said. It could also rely more heavily on Pakistani officials, who may now be more aggressive against Al-Qaeda than in the past.

But for now, Mr Cressey said, the Obama administration should continue with the Predator strikes on areas of Pakistan that Al-Qaeda was using to stage attacks on US forces in Afghanistan, and to plan attacks on US interests outside the region.

- THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 14:31   Link #193
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sounds like Obama is serious about decimating Al-Qaeda and cutting out all the diversionary chaff that diluted the outgoing administration's progress in dealing directly with actual enemies.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 14:56   Link #194
Shadow Kira01

Looks like Obama isn't a dove afterall. I thought it was rather strange for him to have recruited many Republicans into his cabinet. Perhaps, his administration will become a stronghold considering that it contains both doves and hawks. I wonder how this will turn out..
Old 2009-01-28, 18:32   Link #195
mg1942

The actual bailout bill

Wonder where the money is going? I sure do.

http://www.rules.house.gov/111/LegText/111_hr1_text.pdf

647 pages of shenanigans. Post any particular pages you find enticing.
I'm told there's almost $400 mil in STD prevention money on page 147.
Old 2009-01-28, 18:59   Link #196
james0246

^That specific allocation of money was already taken out, as well as a few other small budget political quagmires (within that CDC allocation, though, there is increased funding for AIDS prevention and awareness...which I guess could be debatable as to whether we need more money spent on the disease). It's not all shenanigans, there is some much needed work in this Bill, sadly enough there are too many small pork packages that would help individual states very little.

(edit: just going through the first hundred or so pages, I am generally pleased by what I see. There seems to be sufficient oversight and transperracy (on paper at least, whether the head of this new accounting board does there job seems to be entirely up to the President and only the President). I am still a little upset that the allocations will be delivered as grants and not loans, but that is a side argument currently. Overall, okay so far, nothing too crazy or wasteful (there is only a few hundred million/a few billion that I see as being wasteful within the first hundred pages.))

mini-rant:

Now all that is left is for the GOP to get off their asses and actually put forth a real plan that can then be 'married' to the existing plan, resulting in a feasible economic stimulus package for the entire country.

The GOP are acting like John McCain back in 2007 when he said that he had a plan to catch Osama Bin Laden, but then never revealed it to anyone. Just tell us already, And Stop posturing! If you want to help, then help. Don't lord over your knowledge. Just help.

...Pelosi acted like a douche yet again. Why does she have to be so arrogant? Why does she have to be in charge? Can't the Democrats in the House get a better representative?

Last edited by james0246; 2009-01-28 at 19:53.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 20:15   Link #197
typhonsentra

Fuck the congressional Republicans. I can't believe they caved to the Limbaugh dittoheads. This'll cost them big in 2010 and I say it's good riddance to bad rubbish.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 20:31   Link #198
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Fuck the congressional Republicans. I can't believe they caved to the Limbaugh dittoheads. This'll cost them big in 2010 and I say it's good riddance to bad rubbish.
This is what happens when you let Politics get ahead of your actual ability to help. It is truly sad that the Republicans could not even muster the effort to try and help, instead they claim to have a new 'better' bill (the day of the vote), and then never present it (though the proper channels), and then blame the Democrats for "not listening". I know Pelosi is vindictive and annoying, but you can only use the excuse of "hating Pelosi" so long before people realize that the GOP congressmen simply do not care.

Has the GOP fallen so far that they are reduced to this dishonorable display of impotence and foolishness? This entire afternoon was a huge blow to the Republican Party and could spell the end for this party.

(Went through another 100 pages (currently on page 193) of the Stimulus Package and have still only found a few noticeable (to my slightly uninformed eyes at least) problems.)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 21:01   Link #199
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
This is what happens when you let Politics get ahead of your actual ability to help. It is truly sad that the Republicans could not even muster the effort to try and help, instead they claim to have a new 'better' bill (the day of the vote), and then never present it (though the proper channels), and then blame the Democrats for "not listening". I know Pelosi is vindictive and annoying, but you can only use the excuse of "hating Pelosi" so long before people realize that the GOP congressmen simply do not care.

Has the GOP fallen so far that they are reduced to this dishonorable display of impotence and foolishness? This entire afternoon was a huge blow to the Republican Party and could spell the end for this party.

(Went through another 100 pages (currently on page 193) of the Stimulus Package and have still only found a few noticeable (to my slightly uninformed eyes at least) problems.)

they are basically making a bet that obama's plan will fail. If it fails the rep plan step in with thier own plan once they actually come up with a plan.

Also they figure if the plan succeed they are toast anyway. so they got nothing to lose by voting against the plan.
Old 2009-01-28, 21:40   Link #200
mg1942

hmmm I read somewhere that only about 90 billion will go to actual real job creation and stimulating the economy.
The rest of it... 700 billion or so is simple giveaway (yay money rain!)

Tags
united_states