AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-17, 04:15   Link #1
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 26
Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge

i just recently found this manga a while ago and i notice this is the latest series from Takimoto Tatsuhiko, the same guy who created Welcome the NHK!


Spoiler for synopsis:


http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=19674


Although the premise looks like it some kind of rehashed fantasy 'boy finds super girl', i really think the series focuses on the relationship between the two leads. Just like Welcome to the NHK, its strong point comes from the interaction between these people and i also think that the "chainsaw" is only a plot device to bring the two leads together. what this does offer is more of a slice-of-life character driven story about 2 teens struggling with angst and depression while trying to find a purpose in life.


strange enough, this series also gave me the same doubts when i read the first chapter of NHK ni Youkoso.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-17, 04:23   Link #2
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Ah, this, huh.

I thought about buying the first volume of the manga, but because I was already buying too much and a scan of the first volume was unimpressive, I ended up not buying it.
The name is strange though, in a funny(good) way.
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 13:17   Link #3
Xanithor
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
There's a live action movie that came out a while ago, Trailer Here. Don't know why, but love the way the narrator says edge.
Xanithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 14:31   Link #4
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
I tried reading a few chapters, but I didn't like it so much.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 14:56   Link #5
REEPER
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Concerning the manga thus far
Spoiler for negative happy chainsaw edge:
REEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 15:46   Link #6
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by REEPER View Post
Concerning the manga thus far
Spoiler for negative happy chainsaw edge:
That's pretty much the same i was thinking all the time and looking at the authors other novels it doesn't seem too absurd since it's another example of escapism and antisocialism even though the clichee-loving part in me wishes for the two to have a happy ending.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 16:10   Link #7
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Flan-chan
Age: 12
Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I thought I read this, it has its appeal like the title and the artwork female character design. I saw the scan for the first chapter, just doesn't really catch on. Might try again when I have time.
__________________
I love Flandre Scarlet
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 06:16   Link #8
Ultenth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington State
The last chapter was recently released, and I was pretty pleased with the ending and the entire manga. I thought the subjects they touched on in terms of searching for goals and meaning in life, and dealing with loss, were very well done and not overly preachy or sappy. I really enjoyed how seeming silly the story was, and very stereotypical for a shonen type story, but it actually used that in order to make a much deeper point about people's desires to transcend our "normal" lives.

Definitely another good story by Takimoto Tatsuhiko.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 10:03   Link #9
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Babuyan Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
The last chapter was recently released, and I was pretty pleased with the ending and the entire manga. I thought the subjects they touched on in terms of searching for goals and meaning in life, and dealing with loss, were very well done and not overly preachy or sappy. I really enjoyed how seeming silly the story was, and very stereotypical for a shonen type story, but it actually used that in order to make a much deeper point about people's desires to transcend our "normal" lives.

Definitely another good story by Takimoto Tatsuhiko.
I was really liking the series. Though ending utterly fails. Too many questions unanswered and add the open-ending it had. Oh well, still a great series overall. Though NHK is more solid and etc when it comes to the story. I actually like the characters here more.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 11:04   Link #10
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
I was really liking the series. Though ending utterly fails. Too many questions unanswered and add the open-ending it had. Oh well, still a great series overall. Though NHK is more solid and etc when it comes to the story. I actually like the characters here more.
Really great series with a predictable but still lovely, harmonic and comforting ending and no it wasn't an open ending, everything that needed to be explained actually was so, otherwise you probably haven't fully understand what the chainsaw man symbolizes. Are you really sure you've not mistaken ch7 to be the last?
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 12:58   Link #11
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Babuyan Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Really great series with a predictable but still lovely, harmonic and comforting ending and no it wasn't an open ending, everything that needed to be explained actually was so, otherwise you probably haven't fully understand what the chainsaw man symbolizes. Are you really sure you've not mistaken ch7 to be the last?
Chapter 8. Yes, I kinda get the picture(/though not entirely; will need to re-read) of what this and that was all about etc. But hey, can't blame me for just being a casual manga reader.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 13:57   Link #12
kaisama
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
just finish reading it, still not sure those thing about chainsaw main are real or just something like NHK.
kaisama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.