AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-11-12, 06:47   Link #1
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Universal acquires Geneon

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20081112/geneupj.htm

According to news article Dedntsu had signed an agreement with Universal picture to transfer ownership of Geneon Entertainment as of February 2009.

UPIE will obtain 80.1% of Geneon while Dentsu will maintain a minority stake of 19.9%.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 07:15   Link #2
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Oh...! That's news. I never thought Universal would be interested in anime....

Wait, Universal Studios in Osaka has a MBS [Manichi Broadcasting Systems] office inside...

[address:MBS Studio in USJ - Universal Studios Japan, 1-33, Sakurajima Nichome, Konohana-ku, Osaka, Japan] that could have been their first step!

FYI, MBS was involved in Code Geass and Gundam 00.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 12:57   Link #3
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
So, not to rock the boat or anything, but doesn't this kind of make everything that Geneon Japan owns licensed?

Because the parent company is a US company now, NBC Universal, they own the rights to the shows that Geneon Japan did.

From animesuki's general policy, when a US company owns the rights (even if they don't have plans to release the show) they are considered licensed.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 13:06   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess it depends on the nature of the ownership ... but I'm going to have to stew on this deal a while and why Universal thought it was a "good idea" at this point in time or at all.

But yeah, at least in Feb 2009, AS will need to decide how they'll react to the situation or just wait and see.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 13:36   Link #5
james0246

^Cartoons were huge during the Depression, so Universal was eager to have a handy supply of animated features to release in America during these troubling times . Maybe they will bring back the short-feature before the movie .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 16:29   Link #6
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

From ANN
Geneon to merge with universal pictures japan

Seems like Universal bought it, and is planning on renaming it. But it still seems to be under a branch within Japan so i wouldn't think it would affect US licenses. Sort of how Geneon stuff wasn't considered licensed here until it was brought over to Geneon USA, but i could be wrong. This may mean Geneon titles could be licensed much faster however.
Old 2008-11-12, 17:55   Link #7
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
From ANN
Geneon to merge with universal pictures japan

Seems like Universal bought it, and is planning on renaming it. But it still seems to be under a branch within Japan so i wouldn't think it would affect US licenses. Sort of how Geneon stuff wasn't considered licensed here until it was brought over to Geneon USA, but i could be wrong. This may mean Geneon titles could be licensed much faster however.
Universal Japan, that's different. Universal (America) would be different. But the branch in Japan could just be a releases of American made movies to the Japanese Audiences.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 18:37   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Universal Pictures (Japan) appears in the first billboard at the end of the OP for Oh! Edo Rocket. UP is also mentioned in the closing credits. It's the only show I can recall with a credit to Universal. However the ANN page for this show doesn't mention Universal, but lists Geneon as the DVD distributor. AnimeSuki doesn't consider Oh! Edo Rocket licensed, and there's certainly no sign of any R1 DVDs for this show in the future. (Though if this were the type of show Universal chose to import, I'd be a very happy anime viewer.)

Sony Music appears in the second OP billboard that follows as "grand sponsor." Madhouse was the studio.

So much for the grand Dentsu/Mitsubishi/Geneon joint venture that was announced along with Seirei no Moribito. Mitsubishi's name never comes up in Geneon discussions any more so I'm guessing they sold their stake a while back.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-11-12 at 18:50.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 20:40   Link #9
jsieczkar

This will probably have very little impact on the US. I would doubt that anime is the main factor in this merger. Universal Japan has had many distributors for its product in the last few years I think 2 in the last 3 years. Geneon in addition to its anime works is one of the largest distributors of domestic live action movies in Japan and other parts of Asia. Geneon has been marketing all of Universals new release DVDs since March while Universal has been managing the catalog. Universal was additionally developing more films not only in Japan but the rest of Asia as well. It seems the main motivation behind the merger is to bring all of these functions under one roof.
jsieczkar is offline   Reply With Quote