AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-26, 09:44   Link #41
bluemist
i am the mist

I heard in another forum it's very popular among Japanese viewers, but what's the fuss? I found it so typical. Maybe in that way it attracts viewers I guess.

Well it attracted me into it. They're all "Pretty Cute". But I'll pass up on the furry creatures. I don't like mahou shoujo's pet sidekicks.
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 00:38   Link #42
Secca
nya`
*Artist

There is something about the ending song that's so catchy. Make me want to sing along. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 02:43   Link #43
chamelean75

I love the ending song. I just don't understand why it's about love. I love it when the bad guys dance by, it's hilarious.
chamelean75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 12:54   Link #44
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
There's something about it that I really liked. ^^; I think it might be the fact that the two heroines aren't the typical shoujo heroines. I loved their costumes too! And.. It's just.. I don't know. There's something about it that makes it different than a lot of mahou shoujo anime, but I don't know yet. The ennemy looks ridiculous which adds a funny side to it. :X I'm a huge fan of mahou shoujo anime, though.. So maybe I can't judge it correctly.
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 17:32   Link #45
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurara
There's something about it that I really liked. ^^; I think it might be the fact that the two heroines aren't the typical shoujo heroines. I loved their costumes too! And.. It's just.. I don't know. There's something about it that makes it different than a lot of mahou shoujo anime, but I don't know yet. The ennemy looks ridiculous which adds a funny side to it. :X I'm a huge fan of mahou shoujo anime, though.. So maybe I can't judge it correctly.
I too am a large fan of mahou shoujo, and I totally agree. This series SEEMS cliche, overdone, and trite from a basic description, but there is something about it that makes me love it, and I don't know what.
Perhaps it is the potential for this show to do what the great mahou shoujo series do, build a large collection of really likable characters. Just looking at the ending "dance", we see that there is a large selection of classmates/ lacross team members, and science club members; all hopefully with interesting personalities.

Remember, the great mahou shoujo series were built on the supporting characters: CCS wasn't great because of Sakura, it was great because of Sakura's friends. Sailor Moon relied on the interactions between the Senshi, not simply on Usagi's idiocy.
We have yet to really see much of the supporting cast yet in this anime, but I have a gut feeling that we will soon.

(Also, I'm guessing we might see another 5 Cure's by the end too. They've already refered to the 7 jewels (that appear in the opening), 5 of which the enemy has already captured, so I assume the 2 that are left are Cure white and black. I wonder what the other jewels will be for?)
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 17:47   Link #46
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Personally I think Pretty Cure isn't made to be a serious series. ^^;; I mean, I have the feeling that it's going to be humorous.. When I saw the pictures I wasn't really interested in it. I guess it's when I watched it that I really started to like it a lot..

I agree with you that in magical girl shows, personalities are very important. ^-^;; I guess that's what I liked about Pretty Cure too so far. There's a lot of supporting characters.. And it seems to be about middle school or high school life. I suppose it's not just about magical girl-ness. :P

Well, you say that Usagi is stupid.. But personally I disagree. Usagi is one of my favorite anime characters.. And I think that one big mistake people make when they judge mahou shoujo characters is to compare them to Usagi. I don't think Usagi and the girl from Tokyo Mew Mew have anything in common, by example.. But I've heard many people compare the two characters. Another example is Momo [ was that her name..? x.x;; ] from Wedding Peach.. She's been compared to Usagi so much, but I really don't think they're similar.. I guess Mahou Shoujo series and the characters are judged too easily by people.
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 18:49   Link #47
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Ahaha.. I keep wanting to point and laugh at Piesard's hair style. He looks like came out of a 80s rock band. ^^
Old 2004-03-06, 23:56   Link #48
Honkie_McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Perhaps it is the potential for this show to do what the great mahou shoujo series do, build a large collection of...
Merchandise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
...really likable characters.
Oh. I knew that.
Old 2004-03-07, 03:14   Link #49
b4k4

Send a message via AIM to b4k4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Hearts
...so far thereīs nothing new in it...
You mean you don't consider a possessed monster rollercoaster new?
b4k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 03:20   Link #50
aniforever

wahh pretty cure is erm funnie i guess. iono the two man character is kinda like tomoyo and sakura one sporty the other smart. just in this one the smart one also fights which is kinda cool. hehe it's funnie how one girl get's admirers from guys and the other from girls. the only thing i'm interested in this anime is the humor and relationship. since i'm a fan of yuri if there's even a slight scent of yuri then i'll watch it other then that i rather watch naruto for the action. though seriously if they continue with the black thunder white thunder line for each ep i will stop watching this so fast.
aniforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 03:40   Link #51
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

two words...cell phones
*shakes head*

AniBUROGU// Loveless Animation vs. Manga Comparison
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 03:51   Link #52
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Maybe it's the trend now... Magical cosmetique set and wand is so last millenium.
Old 2004-03-07, 04:00   Link #53
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

hehe, it's so true! Lol, I'll probably watcha few more episode before making a
final decision on wether to watch the whole series or not. Good animation atleast!

AniBUROGU// Loveless Animation vs. Manga Comparison
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 04:32   Link #54
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Thumbs up LIkes Pretty Cure

Having seen the first episode I like it.........Think of it this way, A next Generation Sailor Moon type show. Happen to love BSSM. I have not seen eps. 2 yet as it just finished dl and it is late. Will view it tomorrowand let you all know, but so far I like it.....
Old 2004-03-08, 12:14   Link #55
Seiryuu

Firstly, I, too, enjoy Sailor Moon(at least the uncut jap version). And I believe Usagi is only a stubid crybaby at first, from what I've seen. But that's another series for another thread...

Anyway, I love this so far. Especially the way the girls look when they're fighting, the way they react to their increased strength. Nagisa, the sporty one, acts like I'd expect, like someone who'd just taken training weights off after a long time. She jumps, punches, etc., but overextends and struggles to compensate. But Honoka seems to act a little weird. Sort of spaced out andoff-balance, like she's being pulled around like a string bean rather than actually moving of her own accord. She looks like she's in zero gravity or something. Weird.

BTW, before shoujo ai discussions go further than the few stray comments, I'd just like to say that, if you listen to the closing song, it talks about trying to get a GUY. The "love" is not talking about those two. Also, the opening suggests one of them has a certain guy in mind. Yes, there's obviously shoujo-ai humor, and I find it hilarious(so popular with the girls...lol), but that doesn't mean there's even any real suggestion of a relationship between the two main characters. I just don't get how any series with two major characters of the same gender can get reinterpreted as shojo-ai/shonen-ai. At least Mermaid Melody is safe. With one girl pining for her guy, one holding back her affection for the same guy, and the thrid doing everything but tying her guy down, it's hard to imagine anything weird there. I'm not trying to complain, but please keep things in perspective.

Also, mahou-shojo transformation, or any other kind of nudity, with young girls does not mean it's "loli". Nudity's not quite as taboo there as here, and it's not automatically ecci if there's skin. Frankly, I think we in the US are a little too preoccupied with that, though just a little. Rizelmine is loli, and funny as heck. PreCure is just normal magical girl.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 14:43   Link #56
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Thumbs up Eps 2 No Spoilers.........

Hey all,

Eps. 2 is as good if not even better........I definitely like this show. Did anyone happen to see the reference to Sailor Moon?? I don't know if I should tell you but I guess I will. Did anyone else notice Misumisan's bedspread???? Yes it is covered in RABBITS!!!! Just like Usagi's. This caught my attention right off. Coincidence??? Maybe??? Maybe Not??? We'll have to wait and see.
Old 2004-03-08, 21:21   Link #57
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
The manga just started in the April issue of Nakayoshi and it's way different than the anime but it's Pretty Cure. Mermaid Melody looks like it is coming to an end either next month or the month after (all 7 mermaids plus Aqua Regina are in this chapter).
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 18:53   Link #58
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Episode 6 is out, in RAW form, in case people wanted to know.
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 01:47   Link #59
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Episode 4 and 5 were really great (I watched them raw...)
I especially liked
Spoiler:
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 01:51   Link #60
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
As a note, I'm sure your all aware of. The subbers of Pretty Cure might be slow, but that's because of real life stuff. Plus, after translation has been done for a week or more, when people have midterms and schoolwork, things get a bit slowed down and stuff :P We are continuing, so please try not to get too impatient because we try to bring you some of the best quality subs out there

Tags
magical girl, school life