AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-11-23, 08:03   Link #1
Betterfuture
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
MKV problems... of course

Let me start this off by saying... I hate mkv. YES I hate it... Second off... I hate softsubs... I am also not a fan of 5.1 sound... Ok enough hate for now , I'll save rant for later

2 problems

So yes Im having a problem with an mkv file that I believe has 5.1 surround (though it doesnt say it does in file name). The problem is I want just plain ol stereo and that all the sound is low besides the music and sfx! How can I make the output just plain stereo out of computer speakers (just a left and right).

Secondly, how on earth can I get softsubs to stop playing in a generic font and to play the way the fansub group made them. I really hate looking at big ol white letters that dont fit/take up half the screen.

So yeah can anyone help me?

And yes I know VLC can make it stereo but it has the horrible font problem.
Betterfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-23, 09:46   Link #2
Milvus
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Paris (France)
Age: 32
With SMPlayer :

Préferences > Audio > Channel by default - Choose 2 (stereo).

With FFDShow :

Audio Decoder Configuration > Mixer > Output Speaker configuration - Choose 2/0/0 stereo (and activate the mixer).

Audio Decoder Configuration > Codecs > set AC3 to liba52, DTS to libdts and AAC to libfaad2, to be FFDShow is used.

It should work with any 5.1 file.

Please also note the last versions of VLC (0.9.x) can show Styled Subtitles quite better than before. Still some problems, but far from the 0.8.x series.
Milvus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-23, 15:01   Link #3
emptyeighty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Read/use.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-23, 19:46   Link #4
Betterfuture
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milvus View Post
With SMPlayer :

Préferences > Audio > Channel by default - Choose 2 (stereo).

With FFDShow :

Audio Decoder Configuration > Mixer > Output Speaker configuration - Choose 2/0/0 stereo (and activate the mixer).

Audio Decoder Configuration > Codecs > set AC3 to liba52, DTS to libdts and AAC to libfaad2, to be FFDShow is used.

It should work with any 5.1 file.

Please also note the last versions of VLC (0.9.x) can show Styled Subtitles quite better than before. Still some problems, but far from the 0.8.x series.
Ty for the info, it rly helped. I didnt know VLC got better at styled subs. TYVM for the other info as well. Sorry if my first post sounded hostile, I was aggravated at the files.
Betterfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-24, 11:00   Link #5
Kelrys
Same old same
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: HRL
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Kelrys Send a message via MSN to Kelrys
I get this problem: High cpu usage when playing an Mkv file (HD files). Any help?
Kelrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-24, 12:00   Link #6
emptyeighty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
If they are H.264, use CoreAVC.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-24, 12:03   Link #7
Milvus
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Paris (France)
Age: 32
You have to be more specific about your system, as it could be a perfectly normal behaviour. HD video needs a lot of CPU, especially H.264. MKV in itself is not a CPU-eater, just a container of choice for HD videos.

What is your CPU ? OS ? What player(s) do you use ?

Solutions are usually to upgrade the hardware or using CoreAVC (not freeware, but there is a trial version).
Milvus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-24, 20:35   Link #8
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
Don't know what decoder you're using, but most decorder should have an option to disable the in-loop filter, aka skip deblocking. That will help sometimes. I only recommend this as a final solution. Honestly people if your screen doesn't support 1920x1080(1200) get a version with lower resolution.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-24, 22:35   Link #9
sakuravs
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
I have that same sucking problem with 1080p mkv file, too. (video & audio still lagging & de-sync during playback despite of using the CoreAVC Pro codec).
I'm getting myself a 1GB DDR3 graphic card after this Thanksgiving holiday to fix this HD crisis once and for all!!!
__________________
sakuravs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 03:59   Link #10
emptyeighty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuravs View Post
I'm getting myself a 1GB DDR3 graphic card after this Thanksgiving holiday to fix this HD crisis once and for all!!!
That won't fix anything when using a software decoder like CoreAVC. You need a faster CPU.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 08:00   Link #11
Kelrys
Same old same
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: HRL
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Kelrys Send a message via MSN to Kelrys
I am using intel core duo processor, yea getting old..
Kelrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 09:15   Link #12
emptyeighty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelrys View Post
I am using intel core duo processor, yea getting old..
Did you try CoreAVC? Also supply the other info Milvus requested, plus exact CPU model/speed.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 11:51   Link #13
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Follow the guide linked in my signature.

As for the sounds, just go to CCCP settings after following the steps in the guide and set the correct speaker option for you under FFDShow Audio Settings.
__________________
"A good user is remembered from his posts, not from his 160px tall animated 'pink flying unicorns' signature picture."
---
The Guide for best H.264 playback
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 03:43   Link #14
sakuravs
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty View Post
That won't fix anything when using a software decoder like CoreAVC. You need a faster CPU.
CPU power is irrelevant here since I have a dual core 2.66 Ghz (x2) Ghz. (the CPU ~100% peaked usage during 1080p mkv playback was because my old ATI video card does not have hardware (GPU) acceleration.

Note that CoreAVC currently sucks because it's software based without hardware acceleration. In other words, it put almost all of the pressures on the CPU and no GPU involved.
With a new high-end DX10 graphic card powerful enough, and the right kind of player with GPU acc support. 1080p-mkv is just a piece of cake! (no matter which codec/codec pack you use)
__________________
sakuravs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 08:31   Link #15
anime_layer
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuravs View Post
With a new high-end DX10 graphic card powerful enough, and the right kind of player with GPU acc support. 1080p-mkv is just a piece of cake! (no matter which codec/codec pack you use)
Where's that coming from?

A modern GPU is not going to magically take over decoding from your CPU. The player and the codec as well have to support the respective APIs to get the card to do any work at all.

With the right player, the displaying is given to the GPU and that part is not dependent on the codec you use. Having the GPU do the scaling and color conversion can give a speed boost but it's still your CPU that's doing all the decoding.

You need a GPU-accelerated codec and a matching graphics card to push the decoding to the GPU and even then it's very dependent on the codec, the video file and the GPU as for how much can be taken care of by the GPU.
__________________
MPlayer OSX Extended (en) | nimmermehr (de) | sttz (de) | last.fm
Life is a game whose first rule is: This is not a game, this is dead serious.
anime_layer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 09:00   Link #16
martino
makes no files now
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer View Post
...and even then it's very dependent on the codec, the video file and the GPU as for how much can be taken care of by the GPU.
Let me just add, that at the current point in time, very few fansubs that you watch would be able to use this feature (unless I have been misinformed or am half a year behind on the news).

In other words. I'll repeat what has been said here a million times. For God's sake... don't buy a stronger graphics card thinking that it'll make your playback blazing fast. Just don't. Buy a better CPU and problem solved.
__________________
"Light and shadow don't battle each other, because they're two sides of the same coin"
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 14:32   Link #17
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ISDB-T
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Let me just add, that at the current point in time, very few fansubs that you watch would be able to use this feature (unless I have been misinformed or am half a year behind on the news).
With most GPU accelerated decoders only a small minority of h264 encoded fansubs are playable as they are. Maybe half (a wild guesstimate with no basis in reality) might be playable if you use a program to modify the h264 profile/level header to high@4.1 or below. The rest will not play and it is not very likely that they ever will.

Some (mine) even have specifically tweaked settings to make them unplayable on most hardware accelerated decoders. >:]
__________________
| ffmpegsource
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 15:37   Link #18
emptyeighty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuravs View Post
CPU power is irrelevant here since I have a dual core 2.66 Ghz (x2) Ghz. (the CPU ~100% peaked usage during 1080p mkv playback was because my old ATI video card does not have hardware (GPU) acceleration.

Note that CoreAVC currently sucks because it's software based without hardware acceleration. In other words, it put almost all of the pressures on the CPU and no GPU involved.
With a new high-end DX10 graphic card powerful enough, and the right kind of player with GPU acc support. 1080p-mkv is just a piece of cake! (no matter which codec/codec pack you use)
Note that my use of the phrase "software decoder" indicates full knowledge of CoreAVC's features. As for the rest of what you wrote about hardware decoding, see the above posts.

You are right about that CPU though, it should be fast enough. It's likely that there's some other problem then. You could provide an Insurgent test render and log before dishing out money, but that is really up to you.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 14:07   Link #19
AceD
See You En' Tee
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: England
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuravs View Post
CPU power is irrelevant here since I have a dual core 2.66 Ghz (x2) Ghz. (the CPU ~100% peaked usage during 1080p mkv playback was because my old ATI video card does not have hardware (GPU) acceleration.

Note that CoreAVC currently sucks because it's software based without hardware acceleration. In other words, it put almost all of the pressures on the CPU and no GPU involved.
With a new high-end DX10 graphic card powerful enough, and the right kind of player with GPU acc support. 1080p-mkv is just a piece of cake! (no matter which codec/codec pack you use)
yusyus, i use quad crossfire and cor duo 3.0ghz - never had a single player problem....i can only assume people get problems due to there pc
__________________
.
AceD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 11:49   Link #20
Tran225
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 22
anyone know how i can show my computer info to see if my computer is too weak? i cant really play MKV files neither the audio is out of sync and i am currently using CCCP/ Zoomplayer
Tran225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.