AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-07-23, 21:54   Link #1561
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Kamachi wrote a side story about it once actually. It was a parody one, and not canon, and it's never been translated (I've only ever read a summary). The joke was that it was volume #1000 (well some really high number anyways) and Touma had finally gotten to the point that he graduated. He had no idea what he wanted to do with himself but soon he was given job offers by Anti-Skill Necesarius, and others
Old 2013-07-23, 22:01   Link #1562
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Honestly, job offers from either of those two isn't all that unlikely in my eyes. Hell, I can see the Queen of England offering Touma a job in UK. If we wanna go further into the LN, the president of the US might even pull some strings.

With that latter, you can't tell me he wouldn't do it....you just can't convince me otherwise given that guy's personality and the shit he was claimed to have done during his term in office. You just cannot convince me otherwise.
Old 2013-07-23, 23:14   Link #1563
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

@Ilidsor I think it's supposed to be volume 201. I would really like to read that SS. Too bad no one has translated it. Is there an English summary?
Old 2013-07-24, 00:24   Link #1564
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

A salary man.

Quote:
Just as the heroes who protect the world fell silent and were wondering what to do…

…the door to the room burst open.

Standing there was the seedy-looking central pillar of my family. He had glasses, a comb-over, and a worn-out suit, but he tightened his tie with focused strength.

That 45 year old man who had been seemingly forever been a section chief at a 2nd rate trading firm after graduation from a 3rd rate university spoke.

“Papa is about to head out to fight, so don’t worry about a thing. Just go back to sleep.”

Heroes were surprisingly commonplace.

Every day, people were fighting battles of life or death in their field of expertise.
Old 2013-07-24, 04:06   Link #1565
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

salary man in a field of epertise like mmm...

customer service representative just like Maou Sadao, lol

Quote:
It will be shown in an 'after story' with Mikoto
Old 2013-07-24, 04:36   Link #1566
Doc Astaroth

Touma's future?

There are so many choices as there are girls in the series, but in my opinion the best thing would be, if he becomes the apprentice of Tabikake Misaka.

Other possibilities:

1. Working as freelancer anti-magican

2. Becoming Seria's strongman.

3. Becoming an eremit.
Old 2013-07-24, 06:23   Link #1567
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Or being sued for not giving enough money for child support lolz
Old 2013-07-24, 11:25   Link #1568
Draco Spirit

Got to love Touma's tendency to smash his opponents arguments to bits, as he smashes there abilities, egos and faces!
Old 2013-07-24, 12:57   Link #1569
Miraluka
18 forever

Touma will end on busineness trips pretty much like his father Touya, and just like his father he'll return to home only to get Shiina angry because a new woman/girl is clinging on him. The only difference here will be his business will be related to magic side with Touma acting as some kind of diplomat.

Deal with it!
Old 2013-07-24, 21:17   Link #1570
dniv
Nintendo Haters I'm ready

I'll post something unusual considering Touma is my second favorite character.

I agree that those are Touma's 2 largest flaws. This is why I say he has had little character development. Sure he's a badass. Sure he's amazing. Sure he's my favorite Index character. Sure he's my 2nd favorite anime character.

But he falls far short of my favorite. I am expecting some huge development in his character eventually. Imagine Breaker is preventing this from happening.

If we see IB as the true reference frame for the whole world, Kamijou Touma's perspective has to be the "ultimate" one. Exactly as Touma was criticized. This is exactly true. It is way too black and white. It shouldn't be.

NT 7 was the first case it wasn't I argue. NT 4 we know what happened, but NT 7 he recognized something important about there being other types of heroes. This stood out to me about his character. This was the greatest amount of character development I had seen in him yet actually. I want this to continue.

In long series like this, I never base my favorite character on who is currently the most developed, I base it on who I think instinctually has by far the most potential to have character development and would end up an amazing character as a result. Touma is a premier example of this. He could be a great character. He is fun to watch.

But I don't like how he is always right. He clearly is isn't. (It was a mistake but I'll make it look ambiguous ) He shouldn't judge others and always win. But that's why he says all he can do is destroy illusions, he can't save anyone. He can only destroy. He isn't saying he is more right. He is saying others are more wrong and that still isn't right, but will point out contradictions and make them go away.

I feel like it's tied into the symbolic meaning of IB. I feel as we learn more about IB as time goes on we will discover a lot more about his character that we haven't been able to recently. I think it's all hidden away because
Spoiler for Terra of the left speaking to Touma:
we saw this starting to happen in volumes 22 and NT4 finally and got a hint of it in NT 7. I'm guessing NT 8 will shed some more light as well hopefully.

His backstory is just as important as Chaos said. I want to know more about the past. Considering that I re-read volume 1, they must have been close probably at least as close as Touma and Mikoto are now considering their interactions together. (this might be wrong... but I think they were probably close)

Anyway, I go by character potential and not by where a character is now because of experience.

This is slightly off-topic, but I'll use it to make a point relating to Touma so just bear with me.

My favorite animated character of all time who far surpasses any other character is Sosuke Sagara from Full Metal Panic LNs.

You may ask why. If you had only seen seasons 1,2,3 I would agree that you would have no idea of why I say this.

He is a good character, but he's decent. In fact, the last two light novels of full metal panic were what made me like him. I will say that these two volumes were probably my favorites of all time I have ever read. In order not to spoil anything I'll go back to talking in general terms.

When you have a character who is set in thinking one way and then faces something that makes them change and find themselves, it is fantastic. It is a form of storytelling that goes beyond anything that was there before. When you look at something usual and go beyond it, you create a truly dynamic character.

If Touma Kamijou makes this transformation he will probably be my second or maybe first favorite character of all time... but the problem here is that he hasn't done it yet.

But I sense that Kamachi wants to do this. He is planning to make Touma face who he is and go beyond that and that is why Touma is such a great character. He is already good, but he keeps getting better.

I hope this explains what I mean. This explanation might be lacking, but basically I just like a character more if he subverts who he is and grows. Dynamic characters are very welcome. All of my favorites are like this or were already working hard all of the time and not just at the end.

Static characters I don't like so much really. There is a limit to how long I'll like them. It's why I've gotten a little fed up with Mikoto recently actually... but this isn't the place to discuss that... But yeah that's why I like him and what I think Kamachi will need to overcome to make him a truly great character.

I still think that we can't forget this will probably have to do with Index once again. The series is still called Toaru Majutsu no INDEX and should focus again on her. I think something big will happen and we will see something interesting. I'm waiting... for... it... Let's hope... it will.... come... soon...

Last edited by dniv; 2013-07-24 at 21:50.
Old 2013-07-24, 21:23   Link #1571
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post

His backstory is just as important as Chaos said. I want to know more about the past. Considering that I re-read volume 1 and positively confirmed he had "her" phone # at the time of volume 1, they must have been close probably at least as close as Touma and Mikoto are now considering their interactions together.
As in Misaki's? Can you post the quote for this?
Old 2013-07-24, 21:49   Link #1572
dniv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
As in Misaki's? Can you post the quote for this?
You just broke my illusions... AHHHHHHH... It was calling someone else... I'm sad now....

My mistake... I mis-remembered that... aww... he just knows about her power I guess... I figured it was because he actually knew her.

Well Anyway: here's a quote.

Quote:
However, these methods did not remove the memories. Instead, they damaged the brain cells. An old man with dementia could not remember more just because he lost some memories.
But, Kamijou left that part out. Even if it were just a bluff, he had to stop the magicians from forcibly erasing her memories.
“And, this is Academy City. There are plenty of espers that can manipulate people’s minds with powers like Psychometry or Marionette. Not to mention that there are research facilities all over the place. It’s way too soon to give up hope. Apparently, there’s even a Level 5 at Tokiwadai who can remove people’s memories just by touching them.”
That was where the last ray of hope truly lay.
No voice came from the receiver.
Kamijou continued on to truly defeat Kanzaki who was starting to show signs of hesitation.
“Well? What will you do, magician? Are you still going to get in my way? Are you going to give up on trying when someone’s life hangs in the balance?”
“…Those words are much too cheap to convince an enemy,” Kanzaki said with a slight tone of self derision. “We have a practiced and genuine method of saving her life. I cannot trust in this untested gamble of yours. Do you really think you can change that with some reckless statements?”
Kamijou remained silent for a moment.
He tried to come up with a rebuttal, but he could come up with nothing.
He had no choice but to accept it.
“…True enough. In the end, we just can’t understand each other.”
He had no choice but to accept that she was his enemy despite the fact that there was a possibility she could have understood. After all, she was once in the same situation.
“Yes. If people who wished for the same thing would always become allies, the world would be completely filled with peace,” she said.
Kamijou’s grip on the receiver strengthened slightly.
That beaten up right hand was his sole weapon and it could negate even the systems created by God.
“…Then, you are my arch enemy and I will defeat you,” he said.
“Given the differences in our physical abilities, the result is immensely clear. Do you still intend to call this hand?”
“Perfect. I raise. I just have to invite you into circumstances where I’m guaranteed to win.”
This can be interpreted in two ways though. The way Touma says it is if he knows her. He says to Kanzaki it's apparent, but the next line is "That was where the last ray of hope truly lay." That sounds like her doesn't it? (I imagined the fact he had her number though...) but it makes it sound that he trusted her as well back then.... he just didn't end up having enough time to call her because it was too close to midnight. Though... I am confused as to why he called his teacher instead............. maybe because he was frantic... And disregard what I said about the relationship. Maybe NT7 just made me think that... and I remembered it wrong. Also, have we ever seen her do it by touch instead of with a remote?

I wanted to point out that the second part of this quote is why I quoted it:

Quote:
“We have a practiced and genuine method of saving her life. I cannot trust in this untested gamble of yours. Do you really think you can change that with some reckless statements?”
Kamijou remained silent for a moment.
He tried to come up with a rebuttal, but he could come up with nothing.
He had no choice but to accept it.
“…True enough. In the end, we just can’t understand each other.”
He had no choice but to accept that she was his enemy despite the fact that there was a possibility she could have understood. After all, she was once in the same situation.
“Yes. If people who wished for the same thing would always become allies, the world would be completely filled with peace,” she said.
Kamijou’s grip on the receiver strengthened slightly.
That beaten up right hand was his sole weapon and it could negate even the systems created by God.
“…Then, you are my arch enemy and I will defeat you,” he said.
“Given the differences in our physical abilities, the result is immensely clear. Do you still intend to call this hand?”
“Perfect. I raise. I just have to invite you into circumstances where I’m guaranteed to win.”
This made me doubly aware of the premise of this series.
People who agree still fight.
Kamijou accepts that.
Kamijou fights them and doesn't think he's right. He is selfish as someone we know points out.
Kamijou can negate even the systems of thought/magic/culture/religion/whatever made by God. (pointing out that God is unnatural).
Kamijou uses the word arch enemy as pointing out that he will fight anyone who could understand but does not.
Kamijou outwits opponents to win.

Kamijou doesn't think he's perfect. He just fights for his beliefs... but Imagine Breaker seems to prefer his way of thinking for some unknown reason... In the end, the question becomes is Kamachi saying that maybe IB isn't good? Maybe he is pointing out that IB isn't all good. I don't know.

It is possible though for different reasons.

After pointing out that fallacy about Shokuhou, I'm sad...
Old 2013-07-26, 07:55   Link #1573
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

Quote:
Kamijou doesn't think he's perfect. He just fights for his beliefs... but Imagine Breaker seems to prefer his way of thinking for some unknown reason... In the end, the question becomes is Kamachi saying that maybe IB isn't good? Maybe he is pointing out that IB isn't all good. I don't know.
so you are expecting when would imagine breaker render ineffetive. what i think would be a dramatic changing growth for touma, because usually he uses his IB combined with his principles. maybe the author is giving an appropriate time and situation to have some change in his personality and that personality might be the one that we think him negatively off

maybe him being dense, or other negative traits that we see. lets see what the author has in store for us
Old 2013-07-26, 09:59   Link #1574
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Kamijou VS a certain Magical Shojou

Old 2013-07-26, 20:49   Link #1575
Reality_Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post

He broke her illusions like a boss
Old 2013-07-26, 23:20   Link #1576
dniv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post

That was hilarious It was cool to watch as well. I really liked it. Though I feel like his IB wouldn't negate if the attacks got too powerful
Old 2013-07-26, 23:27   Link #1577
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Am I the only one flipping shit over the animation used before Touma's "Epic Punch"connected? Seriously, that one part is what I keep replaying over and over again just because it's so damn awesome looking. XD
Old 2013-07-27, 00:28   Link #1578
dniv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinFerret88 View Post
Am I the only one flipping shit over the animation used before Touma's "Epic Punch"connected? Seriously, that one part is what I keep replaying over and over again just because it's so damn awesome looking. XD
No, I also think it's bombastic
Old 2013-07-27, 21:52   Link #1579
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

And thus, Madoka joins Touma's harem (after Mami)

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2013-07-28, 19:25   Link #1580
dniv

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
And thus, Madoka joins Touma's harem (after Mami)
BTW something about your location tells me that you are anti-Touma, because you are against people who try to oppress SYSTEM
Closed Thread