AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-11, 18:54   Link #1241
Marion
The Great Dine
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiToxin View Post
Hey, I'm currently replaying episode one right now...

Spoiler for Natsuhi's headache:
Well...

Spoiler for EP 4 spoilers:
__________________

Sig by nocco
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 19:07   Link #1242
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Then why don't we make a list of possible solution for the final riddle? There can't be too many of them. I think they can be divide in four main branches:

Natural disaster:
Volcano
Typhoon
Landslide

Posthumous human cause:
Trap
Venom

Metaphorical interpretation:
Lonelines
Madness
Belief

Non human living being cause:
Animal
Sickness

The fourth is null if Eva-Beato's red truth applies to all games. "No one is alive except you" clearly only refer to humans, since trees and insects certainly exist on Rokkenjima.
Can you think about anything else?
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 20:12   Link #1243
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In a certain tropical island
Age: 29
I'm beginning to suspect that the last mystery is just applicable to Episode 4. Maybe Battler got hit by a stray lightning bolt.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 20:16   Link #1244
Marion
The Great Dine
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
I'm beginning to suspect that the last mystery is just applicable to Episode 4. Maybe Battler got hit by a stray lightning bolt.
Spoiler for EP 4 ending (kinda):
__________________

Sig by nocco
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 20:16   Link #1245
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
That would fall under natural disaster. However Beatrice said "I will kill you". So whatever killed Battler it must be something Beatrice identify with.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:04   Link #1246
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Age: 33
Maybe she's a large metal pole. *snicker*

Er, anyways, I just wanted to add that Maria's little crown is actually somewhat common in goth-loli fashion. Just so ya'll know....

EDIT- OH GOD XD

Spoiler for metal:


Poor, poor Battler~
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:05   Link #1247
rogerpepitone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Spoiler for Wildspec on Beato's motives:
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:12   Link #1248
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Age: 33
On that note, judging by the epi 4 tea party...

Spoiler for ???tea party:
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:13   Link #1249
crazysjd89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Send a message via MSN to crazysjd89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
If you can't provide a definitive proof you can't debunk my theory. You can debunk it with facts not with other speculations. I for myself do not state my theory is a fact, but as long as it's not denied I will stick with it.
Both of us are fighting with circumstancal evidence, and neither one is giving out. Therefore, I'll instead point out contradictions in your arguements that you've made. I hadn't been doing it earlier, since I thought this little debate wouldn't go on for so long.

Feel free to respond or ignore as you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Why she doesn't even want to go to the old mansion? That doesn't make sense.
Yes it is said that there's been a landslide, but how Ange was supposed to know? I can only conclude that the Mansion doesn't exist anymore, neither does the chapel the guesthouse and the harbor, and that is common knowledge. Ange knew that already, and probably Juuza knows that too. No one is surprised. It is a know fact.
However, if they knew this due to a volcano, then there would be no reason to even investigate the island. Why would Ange believe everyone was murdered, if she knew there was a volcano eruption that destroyed the mansion that the killed people were staying in?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
My assumption is that not only the police knows an eruption occurred in Rokkenjima, but everyone knows, this would be the official version of what happened that day. An official explanation of the events must have been told, however we are not told in the game.
It is a fact that the players are kept on the dark about what the police has found, and what was the official reconstruction of the events.
You keep asking about why Ange didn't investigate the mansion, however, this can be turned around.

Why didn't Ange ever talk to someone who knows about volcanos, or someone who believed the volcano theory. If the volcano theory was such the widespread belief, then why did she fail to investigate from that side also, when she was trying to investigate from every angle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Ange doesn't trust the police. If she did she would stick with whatever conclusion they reached.
This certainly is a convenient contradiction for you. You're saying that Ange doesn't trust the police, however, at the same time, you're wondering why she didn't explore the mansion and saying it's because "it was already destroyed", however, since everyone who tried to get on the island wasn't very succesful, that would mean it was the police who stated the mansion and chapel were destroyed. Why would she trust them on that if she doesn't trust them at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
And I turn to you even the pieces of jaw. Why would they found only the bones? How is that possible? I can answer with my theory, Maria's body was completely burned, only some pieces of her jaws survived the extreme heat.
With this, you're saying that the lava was there for long enough to mow down the mansion and the chapel, and yet it conveniently left a jaw and bones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Even those that believed in the authorities they still questioned Eva. Why she was the only one to survive? Why she didn't bring with her the other family members? So people speculated she took advantage of the situation to let everyone die
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
And that's precisely why she wasn't convicted. Is it even stated that Eva underwent a difficult process? She was simply questioned as it is normal. However if she was found as the sole survivor of 17 people who were clearly murdered and no other culprit could be found, she would be seriously questioned and she'd have a lot of trouble to clear her name. Let's say that only O.J. Simpson's attorney could save her
I already pointed this one out, but I'll say it again:

If the police knew it was a volcano, there would be no reason to question Eva, if "everyone", as you said, believed this explanation, then there would be no reason to doubt Eva. Escaping a natural disaster and living, even though other people didn't is not a crime.

Yes it's true, Eva was the only known survivor and recieved a lot from it, however, all that is only circumstancal. You can't convict someone just because of such evidence. They would have to find actual proof. This also means, they would have to proove that they were the only people on the island. This is easy for us to know, because we have the red. However, the police do not. They cannot say for a fact that someone didn't "sneak onto the island before the typhoon and killed everyone but Eva, who had solved the riddle and escaped." There are not even any witness to say "I saw Eva, such and such".

With such evidence as you're saying they should have arrested Eva for, I can suspect everyone:
Ange, who was apprantly sick, could easily sneak on the island and kill everyone. She too recieved a lot of money. (I know she was 6, but I'm just making a point.)

Okonogi, who, once Eva recieved all the money, became someone who she trusted, and he was also able to live comfortably. He was apprantly close friends to Eva and Hideyoshi also, so he probably knew they were going to the island.

Ootsuki, who became very famous due to his position as a witch hunter. He was into the occult before this, so he might have been friends with Kinzo and he could have heard of the family conference.

I could keep going, but I think that's enough to proove my point. Just because "it was possible and the suspect recieved something significant because of their deaths" does not proove that they murdered the people.

It's as you said, we have no idea how harsh the questioning on Eva was. It might have been as you said, only a series of questions, or it might have been a harsh questioning where they try to get something out of her and fail. However, I absolutly fail to see why they would question Eva at all. If the bodies were "burned to bones and a jaw", as you say, and especially if they were reduced to ashes, as should be with a volcano, there would be absolutely no proof that this was anything but a natural disaster, so there is no reason to question Eva in the first place.
crazysjd89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:24   Link #1250
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysan View Post
On that note, judging by the epi 4 tea party...

Spoiler for ???tea party:
about that

Spoiler for Ep4 secret tea party:


EDIT

Quote:
However, if they knew this due to a volcano, then there would be no reason to even investigate the island. Why would Ange believe everyone was murdered, if she knew there was a volcano eruption that destroyed the mansion that the killed people were staying in?
Well... about the island it looks like in fact Ange didn't really investigated anything, and that's precisely my point...
About why she believes everyone was murdered I admit you have a point. I can only explain with her hatred towards Eva, but I admit is a weak argument.

Quote:
Why didn't Ange ever talk to someone who knows about volcanos, or someone who believed the volcano theory. If the volcano theory was such the widespread belief, then why did she fail to investigate from that side also, when she was trying to investigate from every angle?
Good question but I turn it over again. If Ange was trying to investigate it from every angle why she doesn't ever talk about the official version of the story? Is it really possible there isn't any?
You see my assumption is that the narration is concealing anything about this. Yes you can say it's a trick but isn't it true that movie like "the sixth sense" and "the others" do play on showing the spectators partial informations so to prevent them to think about what it is actually happening?

Quote:
You're saying that Ange doesn't trust the police, however, at the same time, you're wondering why she didn't explore the mansion and saying it's because "it was already destroyed", however, since everyone who tried to get on the island wasn't very succesful, that would mean it was the police who stated the mansion and chapel were destroyed. Why would she trust them on that if she doesn't trust them at all?
Because she trusts her eyes, the first thing the Captain does is to bring her to the side that was destroyed.

Quote:
With this, you're saying that the lava was there for long enough to mow down the mansion and the chapel, and yet it conveniently left a jaw and bones?
Well then ok. Whatever is your explanation for the jaw I can use that too, it's not like the volcano eruption would prevent it. Volcano or not, someone must have taken Maria's body.
__________________


Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2009-06-11 at 21:56.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:27   Link #1251
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ImaginaryLand
Age: 23
Spoiler for EP4 secret tea party:
__________________

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:29   Link #1252
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Age: 33
You know, about Battler "winning"...

Spoiler:



But uh, who knows? I didn't really consider the flag thing, but that's a good point!
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:31   Link #1253
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
Spoiler for EP4 secret tea party:
Bern and Lambda...
Spoiler:

Last edited by lovelysan; 2009-06-11 at 21:34. Reason: WHY CAN I NOT SPELL OR USE GRAMMAR WHENEVER I POST HERE???? *cries*
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:32   Link #1254
crazysjd89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Send a message via MSN to crazysjd89
As for my personal opinon, it has been so since Episode 1, I believe the person carrying out the murders is human, however, magic exists.

And possily, the Beatrice Battler is fighting is a real witch, trying to take claim for the crimes.

Spoiler for Episode 4 Hidden Tea Party:
crazysjd89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:33   Link #1255
Marion
The Great Dine
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Spoiler for EP 4 ??? Tea Party:
__________________

Sig by nocco
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:35   Link #1256
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ImaginaryLand
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysan View Post
Bern and Lambda...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
__________________

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:37   Link #1257
Squirrellord
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Send a message via MSN to Squirrellord
Yeah, Lovelysan... that does seem to be the dark unspoken question, doesn't it?
Beatrice: Yes, Battler, if you prove I do not exist, you and your family will be released.
Battler: ...Alive?
Beatrice: Oh look, shiny penny!

My guess is that Battler will prove that there was no magic involved, and the game will end with only him surviving. However, he then starts to believe in Beatrice, who is then revived by belief, and will revive his family for him. That, or something similar will happen just before the end of the game, Battler conceding defeat to Beatrice, but every getting released alive regardless.
Sure, it's a happy happy ending... but I like happy endings :P
__________________
Squirrellord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:44   Link #1258
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ImaginaryLand
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Spoiler for EP 4 ??? Tea Party:
Spoiler:
__________________

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:46   Link #1259
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Spoiler for EP 4 ??? Tea Party:
Eeeeeh, to be fair, I've never really considered her to be "good." Helpful if you're careful about it, yes, but...
Spoiler:


EDIT- To Squirrel Lord and Maho Momo
Spoiler:
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 21:51   Link #1260
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrellord View Post
My guess is that Battler will prove that there was no magic involved, and the game will end with only him surviving. However, he then starts to believe in Beatrice, who is then revived by belief, and will revive his family for him. That, or something similar will happen just before the end of the game, Battler conceding defeat to Beatrice, but every getting released alive regardless.
Sure, it's a happy happy ending... but I like happy endings :P
Yeah, I figure it'll be something like that too, or that the solution will have unfortunate implications for his family's happiness that aren't necessarily "they all die" (such as Kyrie or Rudolf being a murderer, etc).

In a sense, the setup allows for him to choose a reality, and I think in the end he'll find one where everyone can get a happy ending.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.