AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-11-28, 17:06   Link #1
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

European nerd meetup at UppCon:09 (Jan 16th-18th @ Uppsala, Sweden)

Well so there's this con I'm staff at, UppCon, and apparently there's a bunch of fansubbers that are going to turn up, so I though I'd post a thread about it.

WHAT
Mid-sized anime/japan convention. Around 3000 visitors are expected. There will be anime screenings (mostly subtitled in English), concerts (bands confirmed to be playing are YMCK (chiptunes) and Machinae Supremacy (probably best known for ITG music)), various dealerships, etc etc. There will also be some kind of fansubbing panel, although it'll be in Swedish. I'll also try to arrange some kind of organized dinner or something at a resturant, and there may be bar hopping.

WHEN
January 16th (Friday) to January 18th (Sunday), 2009. The con opens at 13:00 on friday and will close around 16:00 on sunday. It'll be open around the clock but there's pretty much only anime screenings going on between midnight and 10 AM.

HOW
If you live in Scandinavia, you can most likely take a train to Stockholm. From there, you can get to Uppsala in around 40-60 minutes by commuter train or by bus (costs around 5-6 euros). Another alternative (especially if you live further away) is flying. This might even be cheaper than the train in some cases, even within the Nordic countries. The closest airport is Stockholm/Arlanda (ARN), which is around 20 minutes away by commuter train or bus. Some airlines might not use Arlanda; if that is the case you will probably end up at Stockholm/Skavsta (NYO) or Stockholm/Västerås (VST) instead; both are a bit further away (1.5-2 hours by train or bus). The con itself is around 200 meters from the Uppsala main train/bus station; i.e. well within walking distance regardless of how you get to Uppsala.

For lodging there are several alternatives. The con has a limited number of dormitories (school classrooms, sports halls etc) where you can book a sleeping place for the entire con for 75 SEK (about 7.5 euros). In that case you will need to bring your own sleeping bag and mattress. If you want to sleep more comfortably there are cheap hotels/youth hostels very close to the con, see for example http://rum1uppsala.se/english/ or http://uppsalavandrarhem.se/?id=38608&mn1=2292.

The con ticket itself costs 400 SEK (around 40 euros). Booking instructions will be here later when I get around to taking some screenshots.

WHY
When was the last time you saw a European fansubber meetup? Yeah, I thought so. Come to this, it'll be fun times.

WHO
Definitely:
- me
- jfs
- Myrsloik
- Scab
- Mentar
- D4RK-PH0ENiX
- martino
- Bocom

Probably:
- Xabin

Maybe:
- `House/Eeknay
- JEEB
- ilifin
- Exias

QUESTIONS?
Post them ITT or poke me on IRC.

DISCLAIMER
This is not a troll.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2009-01-01 at 14:11.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 17:59   Link #2
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

Unless I'm denied vacation (very unlikely, will find out next week) I'll be there. As a general hint: Flight tickets to Stockholm are extremely cheap for Germans. Direct flight both ways from Hamburg goes for 91 Euro, and I've even seen one extreme offer going as low as 54 Euro (but then, at worse times and with one connection flight).

Looking forward to having a good time with some fellow crazy nerds
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 21:26   Link #3
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
As a general hint: Flight tickets to Stockholm are extremely cheap for Germans.
I'll add that the same goes for the UK if you plan on using low-fare airlines. In some cases you may even end up paying only for airport taxes/fees.
Old 2008-11-30, 07:29   Link #4
ilifin
fishy

Send a message via AIM to ilifin Send a message via MSN to ilifin
I'm on probably without even knowing about this until the fluffmeister pointed the thread out for me? I will figure out whether I come or not over the holidays.

Fluff, how early do ticket sales close? Do I have time to figure shit out or not?
Old 2008-11-30, 08:43   Link #5
jfs
Aegisub dev

As far as I can tell you must have paid your entrance by January 2nd.
If you can read Swedish/"Nordic" the sign-up is here: http://09.uppcon.se/blimedlem

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 09:20   Link #6
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilifin View Post
I'm on probably without even knowing about this until the fluffmeister pointed the thread out for me?
We talked about this when you tried to invite me to desucon, how could you have forgotten that already :|
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2008-12-08, 10:39   Link #7
Bocom
Rare postage

I guess the lodging tickets are sold out, huh. >_<
Bocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 22:22   Link #8
neothe0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Machinae Supremacy (probably best known for ITG music))
no no no, Jets'N'Guns is where it's at.

Sorry I'm not European (or a fansubber) though =\
Old 2008-12-17, 14:22   Link #9
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocom View Post
I guess the lodging tickets are sold out, huh. >_<
Yep, unfortunately.

That said, English ticket booking instructions here: http://www.mod16.org/uc09/eng/

Old 2008-12-25, 16:12   Link #10
Bocom
Rare postage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Yep, unfortunately.

That said, English ticket booking instructions here: http://www.mod16.org/uc09/eng/
Thankfully, I managed to get ahold of two lodging tickets when IT-Gymnasiet was added. (I am Swedish, but live too far away, that's why I was wondering about the ticket status)

Is the fansubbing panel going to happen?

Also, right now, there ARE lodging tickets available, just to let people here now.

Last edited by Bocom; 2008-12-26 at 06:13.
Old 2008-12-26, 06:53   Link #11
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocom View Post
Is the fansubbing panel going to happen?
Maybe, if I round up people who would want to talk on one and grab a time and a place. There won't be a panel with the Swedish anime/manga industry since they either backed out or just didn't reply to our mails.

Old 2008-12-26, 07:20   Link #12
martino
makes no files now

Just got my tickets for the flight and the con sorted... only if I wouldn't have forgotten to buy the plane tickets two days ago I could have had them twice as cheap. >_<

Now just to wait for the hostel people to reply...
Old 2009-01-01, 07:16   Link #13
Exias
Sock Monster
*Fansubber

Ooh, are tickets still available?
Old 2009-01-01, 09:39   Link #14
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by UppCon on their mailing list
För er som inte fått en biljett till UppCon:09 under granen finns det ännu hopp.

Fram till den 2:a januari går det att köpa biljett, sen stoppar vi försäljningen. Det är inte många biljetter kvar, så se till att skaffa en nu, på en gång!
Translation: Last day with sales open is January 2nd and there's only few left, so you better hurry!

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 13:51   Link #15
Bocom
Rare postage

There are now less than a hundred tickets left, according to the site.
Old 2009-01-07, 06:12   Link #16
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
It's all about going, getting drunk and then telling people AVS jokes all night.

Ah, if I had money.............
Old 2009-01-07, 19:43   Link #17
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot View Post
Ah, if I had money.............
1. Ryana--
2. Sleeping bag + lotsa warm clothes and a friendly local train station
3. Buy vodka here and stick it into a bunch of <100ml bottles (/me heard beer is damn expensive there) and later mix with snow (unless you can of course get water there for free from w/e available sources)
4. Food... who needs that?

All yours for an 8 hour shift (minimal wage guaranteed!).

Disclaimer: Health risks not taken into account.

P.S. Rite... I forgot trains... make that 10 or 12 hours then.