AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Bleach

Notices

Old 2008-12-03, 10:57   Link #21
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
Too late for that. All the strongest characters are men anyways. Why should Kubo start worrying about that now?
Unohana Yoru and Halibel disagree with you . Kubo is a sadist not a sexists also with his intrest in Fashion Design I have to disagree
Old 2008-12-03, 11:13   Link #22
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
What? You mean having a massive, gaping wound? That's the equivalent of a cat scratch in a series like this. Now, if Rangiku started having flashbacks then maybe I'd be worried, but slowly dying of massive blood loss...uh-uh.
Compared to any other shinigami, she's most reasonable to die. The others aren't as wounded as her.
Old 2008-12-03, 11:19   Link #23
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Because they were basically gawking at the sudden appearance of Allon and then got taken by surprise due to his speed. Kira and Hisagi arrived after seeing how strong Allon was. They knew what they'd be dealing with. IMO, the situation didn't come off as being so hopeless that having them get saved seemed like the only possible option, but apparently it was.
I didn't think they would be cast aside so quickly either, after all they they posed bravely last chapter, but Matsumoto was gawking for a reason. From that it became clear to me that Allon is on another level to a mere VC. So this didn't come as much of a suprise to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Unohana Yoru and Halibel disagree with you . Kubo is a sadist not a sexists also with his intrest in Fashion Design I have to disagree
Not forgetting Hikifune, former 12th division captain, now a royal guard.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 11:22   Link #24
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Only Unohana has yet to fight. We only know she's strong from character's comments and databooks...

Yourichi is strong but she still had to be saved by Urahara from Yami's cero. Also, she was made to run away from Byakuya instead of confronting him and the one opponent she definitively beat was also female.

As for Halibel, I hope for Kubo's sake that she wins against Hitsu or else there's bound to be some ugly remarks about sexism

That being said, I don't believe Kubo is sexist and he does attempt to create strong female characters (and great fashion designs). But men upstaging the women regardless of their strengths...that ain't nothing new.

But anyways, if Yamamoto fighting gets the fracc battle done quickly then I'm ok with it. That'll just leave Lilinette. I'm actually interested in seeing what's going to be done with her fight though.

Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 11:30   Link #25
NyxOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzia_n View Post
It's because the author placed her in a position where death is reasonable. We want the story too make sense so someone who's in a position where death should follow should die.

I don't like Mayuri and I like Matsumoto. But if in the next chapter Matsumoto gets healed and stands up while Mayuri suddenly drops and dies (for some absurd reason), I'd rage because it doesn't make sense.
And because Rangiku from the start has been almost entirely useless. But I digress.

So we have a case of bigger hax against smaller hax, but, hey, I like Allon- taking down four/five VCs on his own- though VCs do tend to suck- is pretty damn good, and the Arrancar get even more victories under their belt.
NyxOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 11:35   Link #26
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Only Unohana has yet to fight. We only know she's strong from character's comments and databooks...
Isn't the same logic used to portray Gin as as uber strong or Ryuuken/Isshin .I agree with Gin/Isshin/Ryuuken hype same goes for Unohana . In Unohana case there is hype the Oldest Captain (after Yamaji) and Bleach Bootlegs Stats .

Quote:
Yourichi is strong but she still had to be saved by Urahara from Yami's cero. Also, she was made to run away from Byakuya instead of confronting him and the one opponent she definitively beat was also female.
Gin ran away from Rangiku. Aizen ran away from Yoru/Shiba. Tousen ran away from 69 . Does that make them stronger like A>B because they wanted to avoid confrontation too . I am using the same logic here .

Quote:
That being said, I don't believe Kubo is sexist and he does attempt to create strong female characters. But men upstaging the women regardless of their strengths...that ain't nothing new.
I have to disagree here to Kubo has never portrayed men > women . The only case which propped up was last week i.e. kira/69 taking on Allon . If there any instances where Kubo has gone out of the way to show Strong Men >>>> Strong WoMEN please do share .

Kubo has always portrayed strong women in the manga I never seen instance of the contraire .
Old 2008-12-03, 11:49   Link #27
Calca
Brina!

We all agree Yama-ji is going to one-shot this thing to death.

The important thing to wonder is what he is going to do afterwards.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 11:50   Link #28
NyxOne

Quote:

Kubo has always portrayed strong women in the manga I never seen instance of the contraire .
...He has?
Old 2008-12-03, 11:51   Link #29
kagato3

I'm pretty sure this is being used to contrast Yamamoto and Barragan. Barragan just sat around and did nothing while his undelings got raped but as soon as that started to happen to his Yamamoto steps in.

As for those that are calling for shinigami deaths, I doubt it is going to happen. In bleach it seems that if someone has even the slightest redeaming quality they get a Karmic get out of death free card.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.

kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 11:52   Link #30
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyxOne View Post
...He has?
He has not ? forget strong women let talk about women in Bleach . Momo would still have been drooling spazzing out on Aizen if it wasn't so .
Old 2008-12-03, 12:03   Link #31
NyxOne

Well...for how 'strong' Momo had become...she just got violently put down again not two chapters later.

And...well, for women in Bleach:

Rukia: Has descended into uselessness again after her battle with Aaroniero, and this is amplified by her main fight being facing droves of Elite Mooks.

Orihime: Has become a tape recorder of a damsel in distress with her vocabulary becoming increasingly limited.

Rangiku: Won one actual fight against an enemy, got her ass kicked by Luppi, got her ass kicked by Hal's trio, got her ass kicked by Apache, and is now hanging on the verge of death thanks to Allon.

Nanao: In her one appearance where she can actually fight- though the explanation is logical- Yama-jii just decides to get her out of the way.

Isane: Got her ass kicked by Ichigo, and, with the exception of healing Chad and Gantenbainne, hasn't done anything since.

Unohana: Is apparently strong, but has done nothing- though I do understand Kubo waiting to release her apparent potential.

The Vaizards: Have two women in their ranks, one of whom was nearly killed by Hollow Ichigo.

Momo: Spent the most of her panel time being both infatuated with a madman and being psychotic, and comes back reformed...only to take a fist to the gut two chapters later.

So...the only strong women I can think of in this series are, in part, Soi, Yoruichi, Unohana, and possibly Yachiru.
Old 2008-12-03, 12:07   Link #32
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Spoiler for Splr:
Kindly read what we are posting/debating ?

Quote:
Quote:
Too late for that. All the strongest characters are men anyways.
Quote:
Unohana Yoru and Halibel disagree with you .
We are talking about strong women not women in Bleach

And after that lengthy post you have the same conclusion I had on post 21

Quote:
Quote:
So...the only strong women I can think of in this series are, in part, Soi, Yoruichi, Unohana, and possibly Yachiru.
Quote:
Unohana Yoru and Halibel disagree with you .
Old 2008-12-03, 12:08   Link #33
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Regardless of physical strength, Kubo does seem to make a conscious effort to countercheck strong males with strong females. For Ichigo we have Rukia, for Urahara we have Yoruichi, for Noi we have Nel etc. However out of the 10 espada, one is female, and out of the the 13 captains, the ratio is similar. That should tell you something. AND this is a shounen, so anyone trying to argue for male/female equality is going to have a tough time.

That said, my original point was that Kubo would never do something as blatantly sexist as having two female VC's lose terribly to Allon, and then have two guys of the same rank win. WHAT is the only difference? Geta was just proving that all the strongest characters are not in fact male.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 12:10   Link #34
NyxOne

You said, Geta, "talk about women" in Bleach, not strong women. I complied.
Old 2008-12-03, 12:13   Link #35
Utsukushii Hono'o
Banned

Location: Currently stalking, Evil Rick, Larthak, Malin, Kholdstare, lv23, as always Endrance.anafewothrs
Quote:
I was hoping for spewed guts and entrails from Ran's inside . At least a sneak peek, the sadist inside me is disappointed .
Glad to know it isn't just me... (Was starting to think I wasn't normal because I loved seeing her gored nearly to death)

I am not happy that the biggest baddest captain has to fight the offspring of Hali's Fraccion. .. Looks like She ranks higher than 3 maybe she will own Phail-Hitsu after all *Prays like hell this is true*

I was hoping Ukitake fights it.. Why is he a captain if all he's good for his dicking around with little kids ?!

I think Aizen will fight Urahara instead of Yama-ji. Bet he shows up soon...
Utsukushii Hono'o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 12:16   Link #36
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
You said, Geta, "talk about women" in Bleach, not strong women. I complied.
Quote:
If there any instances where Kubo has gone out of the way to show Strong Men >>>> Strong WoMEN please do share .

This is my post you quoted

Quote:
Quote:
..He has?
Right from the start all those who have been involved in the discussion have been talking about strong women ^^
Old 2008-12-03, 12:19   Link #37
NyxOne

And this is what I referred to:

Quote:
He has not ? forget strong women let talk about women in Bleach . Momo would still have been drooling spazzing out on Aizen if it wasn't so .
Old 2008-12-03, 12:23   Link #38
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

If that's what you are talking about has Kubo been any good to his male characters ? I can find you dozen instances where male character too have been at the receiving end . If it was only the case of female character at the receiving end I would have agreed with you . But that's not the case
Old 2008-12-03, 12:27   Link #39
NyxOne

Well, I won't deny that male characters have been on the receiving end, most notably Renji, Uryuu, Chad and Ichigo. But, the other guys in the Society...well...they're...fine. Really.
Old 2008-12-03, 12:29   Link #40
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

What has any of this has to do with Strong female character discussion which you originally quoted me for ?

EDIT :
Are you trying to steer the discussion from original matter bad you

Tags
weekly chapter discussion, manga