AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-10, 04:12   Link #2381
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

But Asuna has no heterochromia ;_;
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 04:38   Link #2382
bayoab

Episode summaries through ep 25 (end) up.
Spoiler for Ep25 non-spoiler:
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 08:05   Link #2383
orangejuicetang

Asuna from Negima? Yes, she does have heterochromia, if that's the one your talking about.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 18:13   Link #2384
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Asuna from Negima? Yes, she does have heterochromia, if that's the one your talking about.
Yes, Kagurazakura Asuna most certainly has heterochromia. o_O
Old 2009-09-11, 00:02   Link #2385
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Thanks foru giving a name and reason to the character that came out of nowhere to beat Yuki in episode 22. Man do I hope the show doesn't end under these conditions with them arbitraily deciding/chickening out of having to advance Kiyosumi to the finals without manga source material by having no characters and former opponents win out of the blue by what amounts to suddenly delevelling characters like Saki, Nodoka and Yuki. This individual arc is so lacklustre compared to what came before that it's almost sickening. I'm all for the losing, but losing while playing the best game you can possibly play trope, but this just seems like manipulating the story and calibre of the competitors on part of the writers.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-09-11 at 00:20.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 06:13   Link #2386
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Thanks foru giving a name and reason to the character that came out of nowhere to beat Yuki in episode 22. Man do I hope the show doesn't end under these conditions with them arbitraily deciding/chickening out of having to advance Kiyosumi to the finals without manga source material by having no characters and former opponents win out of the blue by what amounts to suddenly delevelling characters like Saki, Nodoka and Yuki. This individual arc is so lacklustre compared to what came before that it's almost sickening. I'm all for the losing, but losing while playing the best game you can possibly play trope, but this just seems like manipulating the story and calibre of the competitors on part of the writers.
Gasp! Using artificial constructions to arbitrarily raise and lower the power of the players in a shounen fighting/sports anime?! UNPRECEDENTED!

Except, wait! I've been wearing special _sarcasm dampening_ sunglasses the entire time while writing this post in order to train my biting wit, and IVE JUST TAKEN THEM OFF! My sarcasm level just went over 9000!
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 10:04   Link #2387
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
...Are you saying that your upset that the finals aren't made up solely of Kiyosumi players? Nokoka's done very well and is placed at second right now, so I don't really see how she was deleveled. And Mihoko's way in first, but from what we've seen from the team tournament, she is a pretty good player. Better than Yuki and Jun at least, probably around Hisa level.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2009-09-11, 10:21   Link #2388
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

If Yumi doesn't make it I will be one sad man though.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 12:57   Link #2389
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
If Yumi doesn't make it I will be one sad man though.
I'm sad that we don't even know her score during this 9th round. =( We don't know if she's even in striking distance at this point or what.

Also, Yuuki being extremely ordinary outside of the East Wind is an established plot point. She finally runs into real competition and gets run over in the South Wind.
Old 2009-09-11, 13:31   Link #2390
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Gasp! Using artificial constructions to arbitrarily raise and lower the power of the players in a shounen fighting/sports anime?! UNPRECEDENTED!

Except, wait! I've been wearing special _sarcasm dampening_ sunglasses the entire time while writing this post in order to train my biting wit, and IVE JUST TAKEN THEM OFF! My sarcasm level just went over 9000!
They've at least done a pretty decent job of keeping that tendency to low levels until now (except perhaps with Saki vs. Koromo) and the various players abilities and levels of play have been moderately consistent throughout the tournament, but this episode and last the losses of Kiyosumi have seemed so blatant and forced that it's hard for me to just ignore it as a trope anymore. If the flow of the game were to be represented by a lump of dough then they basically just went from massaging it in the team arc to slamming it into a cookie mold and tossing it in the oven with this individuals arc.

Worst of all I still don't understand the point of this obviously filler individual arc or why we need to have it. This may be a first, but I think I actually enjoyed the pool episode more than the latest tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
...Are you saying that your upset that the finals aren't made up solely of Kiyosumi players? Nokoka's done very well and is placed at second right now, so I don't really see how she was deleveled. And Mihoko's way in first, but from what we've seen from the team tournament, she is a pretty good player. Better than Yuki and Jun at least, probably around Hisa level.
I'm saying that if they are going to lose that I'd at least like to seem them lose well and go out playing their best games, not to lose to a no-name just introduced character like Yuki did and to not play the best that they can like Saki against Mihoko. That's just lame and comes across as forced.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 14:47   Link #2391
cynicalicious
I like pie.

I don't get this whole, "OMG Kiyosumi sux!" thing. It's a different tournament, with a different style, and there are very good reasons why things are shaking out the way they are.

Saki lost a lot because she didn't care about winning. It happens a lot in sports, when an underdog upsets a big-name team, then promptly gets their butts handed to them in the next game because they're all happy that they beat the big guys the previous week. This isn't a big surprise.

So as far as that goes, she reaps what she sows. If she got serious from the get-go, she would probably be crushing skulls along with Geass, but she didn't, so she's either going to have to pull out a miracle or fail. Since the entire table wants her dead, she's going to have to pull some amazing mahjong magic out. (Maybe now she gets the kokushi musou? lol)

Nodoka is still robo-Nodo, and will probably qualify. Nothing wrong there.

Mako is solid, but not a monster like Hisa, Nodo, or Saki. Nobody ever said Mako was the best, just that she was very good. She made it into the top 30.

Hisa is fighting for a spot, and is close. Nothing wrong there.

Yuuki was always the weak link on that team, because she couldn't last past the East wind, and she's sloppy. (That's why they made her senpo.) She doesn't pay attention to details, and has the mahjong equivalent of ADD. If she actually focused and paid attention, she'd probably be *really* good. But she doesn't even bother to read the rules, can't count points, etc. Don't get me wrong-- she's a fun character, but as a player she doesn't have game yet.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 15:03   Link #2392
Proto

I'd rather have people apart from Kiyosumi win the individual tournament 3 spots in order to have a little more cast variety in an hypothetical second season, given that the Kiyosumi people will already be there, [that and I have a hate for naturally talented protagonists who own everyone else without ever losing one single important match, Saki included (I mean, the only person in the whole series who has ever owner her completely was Fujita, and that was in a friendly match)] but whatever...
Old 2009-09-11, 19:30   Link #2393
orangejuicetang

Well, Yuki is the weakest member on their team for reasons established already. And while I don't recall Saki playing Mihoko yet, judging from the team tournament, Mihoko is a pretty damn strong player. She played Hisa at the end of the first day, and won, although it was close. And it really didn't seem like either of those two were holding back in that game. And Saki is currently facing Hisa, Momo, and that other glasses girl, who are all fairly strong, and are all going after Saki's weakpoint, or her preference for Kongs/Kans. Unless Saki pulls off a godly hand, or goes for something other than Kongs, she's in for a rough time.

It almost kind of seems that you expected that all three top places would be taken by Kiyosumi members. Just because they came place first in the team tournament, doesn't mean that they had all the best players, just that their team's average skill was above the other team's average skill. Going into the team tournament, the strongest player is probably Saki, since Koromo isn't attending. But the second strongest is harder to decide, if we are judging from the team tournament. Mihoko manipulated everyone in her round and ended up with one of the highest points gains during the finals (probably just behind saki in points gained). Hisa easily beat her round too. Nodoka has been regarded as good as pros if not better when playing online, and has finally managed to bring that mindset into real life games. It's hard to gauge Yumi and Kana's play levels since they were facing Saki and Koromo, but Yumi has been skilled enough to pull off a robbing a kang on Saki in the first few rounds. Touka managed to slightly stop Nodoka and was gaining momentum when she got wtfpwned by Momo's hax. We don't know how Momo would have done against a person who wasn't "treat everything like it's virtual" Nodoka, but she did gain the most points in her round (I think?). Mako and the other glasses girl got unlucky enough to get matched up with the worst compatibility in terms of ability, a complete beginner. If we simply go by who gained the most amount of points during the team tournament, I think the top three would be Saki, Mihoko, and either Momo or Hisa. In my opinion, the powerhouses/the characters who had a shot at taking top 3 are probably: Saki, Nodoka, Hisa, Mihoko, Touka, Hajime, Yumi, and Momo.

Old 2009-09-11, 19:54   Link #2394
Peanutbutter

My opinion is that Mihoko is potentially a stronger version of Nodoka, which the leaderboard illustrates very well. Nodoka reads discards and go for the strongest probability. Mihoko takes that one step further and read how her opponents manage their own tiles.

Mihoko fails in tech, otherwise I feel she could go online and kick Nodoka's butt.

My top 3 for the individuals would be Mihoko, Nodoka and Saki (sad to say but if Saki got an average of +30 for a total of +120 in 4 matches, she just might come up with something crazy in either this 9th match or 10th match and win with very big hands).

I'll prefer to see Mihoko, Yumi and Touka, if only to see more of the other three schools.

Last edited by Peanutbutter; 2009-09-13 at 17:44.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 17:14   Link #2395
Farplaner

Someone said something about repeated scenes in Saki 22?

http://yunakiti.blog79.fc2.com/blog-entry-3832.html

Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 17:29   Link #2396
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farplaner View Post

Epic money saving.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 17:33   Link #2397
Proto

Wow, that is l33t, way to go to save money without having crappy animation.
Old 2009-09-12, 18:11   Link #2398
Key Board
Donut

scores from the 1st day don't carry over

and as said, even if you win every table that does not guarantee you winning the tournment
It's all about the points

Even you won this table, the gap is a bit too large for any of them to make top 3. But that's what logic says.

Drama says that Saki still needs to face Nodoka in one match, and Kana and Yumi haven't had any real screen time in this tourny yet.

The way I see the final table will probably be something like: Saki, Nodoka, Kazue, and I don't know.. maybe someone from Ryumonbuchi

Kazue won't make it and next year she will transfer to Kiyosumi
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 18:12   Link #2399
TakumiFuji

As far as character strengths and weakness I would rate Saki and Koromo last on the list not cause of god hand but their lack of desire saki has too much of a sister complex and Koromo lonliness as for their strengths is a good sense of body language she and Mihoko are at the top.

Nodaka and Momo are next up for their always needing to meet someones expectations whether at home or at school, as for their strengths is a lot like Yumi and Kana they share a solid base of skill sets.

Yuki,Touka, Jin all are solid flow based character as long as they can control momentum of the table they they are difficult to beat but that to is their major weakness. As for strengths they all play with desire to dominate which is why they are the most entertaining.

Mako, Hisa, and Hajime second to the top because they are the most well balanced they play from experience and keep cool but also they have difficulties with flow and off play, like play against beginners or those they can't easily manipulate.

As for a top rung of the ladder there aren't any players yet who fit that criteria yet.
TakumiFuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 18:29   Link #2400
firehawk12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farplaner View Post

And I thought I was having a weird deja-vu episode. Nice one. :lol:
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, moe, seinen