AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-01, 07:50   Link #1821
night_sentinel

Its good to know that the series is doing well maybe they will make a second season once the manga has gone a bit further?
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 09:21   Link #1822
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura sensei View Post
[I]Saki (Gonzo)
2009/07/15 *6,996 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 2)
It's not Strike Witches level, but it's respectable.

I think Gonzo's habit of R1 licensing basically every series they produce might help too. Based on the numbers crunched here (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...96&postcount=1), even if they license Saki for a cheap average price, it'll still recoup 20% of production costs...and that's just for DVD's, it doesn't count the (small but still something) income from CR broadcast.

I think the show might have been created with R1 licensing in mind, because the official title ("咲-Saki-") is in English too. Although, the manga series seems to have the same title.
Old 2009-08-01, 09:27   Link #1823
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post

I think Gonzo's habit of R1 licensing basically every series they produce might help too. Based on the numbers crunched here (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...96&postcount=1), even if they license Saki for a cheap average price, it'll still recoup 20% of production costs...and that's just for DVD's, it doesn't count the (small but still something) income from CR broadcast.

I think the show might have been created with R1 licensing in mind, because the official title ("咲-Saki-") is in English too. Although, the manga series seems to have the same title.
The manga-ka most like put the english in the title to help people find the manga. "咲" is a very common kanji (it just means, to bloom), so if that by itself is the title of the manga it'd be really hard to, say, google for it.
By putting the englih in the title, if you google for "咲-Saki" you immediately get the manga. I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of thinking played into account.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 09:31   Link #1824
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

P.S. I just picked up my copy of volume 6 today (heck, I can use it to help translate episode 18)

And on the Obi is an ad for "Saki - Mahjong Guidebook"

Saki's "Love-jan" - Maho's Secret Techniques!

with a description of "Learn all about Mahjong with Maho-chan! It's also a fan book so it's two for the price of one!"

(Maho, is if you recall, one of the two anime original characters that's Nodoka's Kouhai from middle school... She's the cute one )

At 900 yen, well, I might have to buy it. Comes out August 25th.
Old 2009-08-01, 10:35   Link #1825
night_sentinel

Wow, Quark-sama you make the sub for Saki? As someone would not understand a single thing without the sub, I'm really glad that someone awesome like you is around.

Btw, guys there are only 2 hand plus any bonus to be played right? In my calculations in allowing Kana to ron her, Saki is down about 100,000 points... with no double yakuman that means Saki would need at least 3 yakuman to win. Yumi needs more than 2 yakuman and Kana is kind of out of the running right now....

Can you guys see anyway out of this situation because Saki is smiling like everything is alright and with her last move I'm wondering if she lost her mind or planning some crazy awesome .

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2009-08-01 at 10:43. Reason: wrong facts
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 10:50   Link #1826
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Btw, guys there are only 2 hand plus any bonus to be played right? In my calculations in allowing Kana to ron her, Saki is down about 100,000 points... with no double yakuman that means Saki would need at least 3 yakuman to win. Yumi needs more than 2 yakuman and Kana is kind of out of the running right now....
No, there's still the whole south round remaining, so 6 hands to be played.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 10:57   Link #1827
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

As for me I would /love/ to see getting Koromo being pushed in a corner which is most likely a new and unpleasant experience for her. She manages to fight back to some extent but is stopped in tracks by a hax hand of Saki. The match ends with everyone having the exact same number of points thus all four of them qualify for nationals.

Koromo who is of course not satisfied with that result will we extremely sad and walk depressed to her team room. Nodoka who notices this will give her Etopen as a present but even that isnt enough to cheer her up, though it will make her blush a bit. When she comes back to her team she is greeted by everyone similar to Touka but starts crying like a child. She will be cheered up by the others with "You did good" or similar and then be happy again. Koromo starts blushing and smiling and will just be adorable <3 /end spoiler ep18-19
Old 2009-08-01, 11:03   Link #1828
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I put my money to Saki will be win with Dai Suushi in the last hand.
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 12:44   Link #1829
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Very unlikely. Most sales are done in the first two weeks. It will maybe hit 8000-9000. Next volume will be even more interesting with the LE dakimura pack-in.
That's a shame...
Still, 8,000 is a good number... Like einhorn said, this is not Strike Witches (I guess no one was expecting this), but this is quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Its good to know that the series is doing well maybe they will make a second season once the manga has gone a bit further?
I hope so, but it will take a while. The anime will reach the manga in 3 or 4 episodes, probably... I wonder how long it will take for a second season. 3 years?
When the time comes, at least Gonzo will have a better budget, since they are wasting less money with unsuccessful anime and they are gonna do more Strike Witches in the next few years.
Kimura sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 13:27   Link #1830
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura sensei View Post
Good news, I found this in another board:

Saki (Gonzo)
2009/07/15 *6,996 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 2)

This is quite decent. I guess Saki will reach 10,000 copies. Or at least come close to it.

And the source for his data was actually here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=60985

Can Saki and Strike Witches save Gonzo?
Saki doesn't make Gonzo any money. Zero.

It can sell 10,000 copies or only 10 copies, but the financials for the studio remain the same. Since they were never on the production committee, they have no piece of the pie. Square Enix and the others get to reap the profits, but GDH traded any rights for a fixed production payment.

On the other hand, they made a sizable investment in Strike Witches and are thus entitled to royalties from DVD sales.

Technically, Gonzo has already been off Saki since Ep. 16 (they're merely an animation subcontractor now), so Season 2 could potentially be done through Picture Magic or any other studio.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 13:29   Link #1831
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
This would be 3rd best ever for Gonzo after Vandread and Strike Witches. [List]

Quote:
The only thing is that, from how I read the production committee, Gonzo isn't actually the main producer and thus not the primary licensor. Gonzo 5th is (was?) the primary animator and usually production houses are paid by the sponsors.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 14:00   Link #1832
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Yeah, everyone is assuming it'd get licensed by Funi 'cause of the whole "anything by Gonzo gets licensed by funi" mantra, but that really doesn't apply in this case.

On the other hand, it does have lots of cute girls...

But it's also about Japanese Mahjong... I'm not really sure funi would be interested in it. It seems like a better fit for media blasters or even ADV/sentai.
Old 2009-08-01, 14:36   Link #1833
einhorn303

So basically, Gonzo doesn't really control/own/have a stake in Saki, they were just contracted to do (most of) the animation. That's a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Yeah, everyone is assuming it'd get licensed by Funi 'cause of the whole "anything by Gonzo gets licensed by funi" mantra, but that really doesn't apply in this case.

On the other hand, it does have lots of cute girls...

But it's also about Japanese Mahjong... I'm not really sure funi would be interested in it. It seems like a better fit for media blasters or even ADV/sentai.
The chances of Funimation getting it are also helped since they have a nearly 1/3rd market share, so with any random title, there's a roughly 33% chance of Funi getting it. (http://icv2.com/articles/news/13189.html)

The mahjong part probably is a turn-off to the licensing division, whoever asks, "Would this really be financially successful?" But of course you don't really need to understand too much mahjong to enjoy the drama and theatrics of Saki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
As for me I would /love/ to see getting Koromo being pushed in a corner which is most likely a new and unpleasant experience for her.
Seeing Koromo like this is somehow incredibly cute. When she had that confused/unsure face at the end of Episode 17, I was like...gahhh! Adorable. It's almost an offshoot of tsundere moe, or the sort of "haughty ojou-sama being defiled" type ero comics.
Old 2009-08-01, 16:00   Link #1834
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Yeah i'd say it's a show that belongs with media blasters. They'll probably do an only sub release.

Not even sure if Funi would know how to sell this show anyway.
Old 2009-08-02, 02:55   Link #1835
Peanutbutter

I have a feeling there is gonna be at least one more "In this year's rules...".

There still might be more twists and turns, even considering the story till the latest manga chapter.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 02:58   Link #1836
kniteowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel
Wow, Quark-sama you make the sub for Saki? As someone would not understand a single thing without the sub, I'm really glad that someone awesome like you is around.

Can you guys see anyway out of this situation because Saki is smiling like everything is alright and with her last move I'm wondering if she lost her mind or planning some crazy awesome
Not if she Rons/Steals points off Karomo's with a East Yakuman of 48,000 points, that would decrease Koromo's points by 48,000 & increase Saki's by 48,000 which would more or less even them out vs each other.
kniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 02:59   Link #1837
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

well the manga is actually a bit more different than the anime.

or so im told. Any way saki already lost one to an original po so the question did she learn from it and will it be useful against koromo's cuteness strategy
Old 2009-08-02, 05:27   Link #1838
nachoiest

Anyone know where I can watch episode 13? Thanks.
nachoiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 09:00   Link #1839
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachoiest View Post
Anyone know where I can watch episode 13? Thanks.
You do realize the show is being legally simulcast on CrunchyRoll as it airs in Japan, right?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/media-529174/saki-13/

This week's episode comes out today at 1:30 PM.
Old 2009-08-02, 10:16   Link #1840
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
I have a feeling there is gonna be at least one more "In this year's rules...".
post 1785-87
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, moe, seinen