AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-12-06, 12:53   Link #21
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I had this error message when I was downloading one certain torrent on uTorrent, and only on Vista. It kept chugging along fine on Ubuntu, but for some reason after anywhere between half an hour and three hours with the torrent running Vista will go blue screen with this error message, specifically on ntfs.sys.

I never managed to figure out why. Perhaps the hard drive was thrashing too much, but I've downloaded far larger files before.

So I'm guessing hard disk corruption from my experience. Do what Cats says, take out the drive, put it in a working computer, and copy out whatever files you can. IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a very low-level error, so something is seriously wrong.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 00:30   Link #22
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Thanx for the help guys...

It was a horrible weekend dealing with this $hit...It's still not over and now I have to shell 300$ bucks because of it...I got fed up and just wiped my drive clean and fresh, but I really F'd up because I used my mom's laptop to go online and search for answers and I spread the damn virus to her notebook...Ya see I had a defective, virus-ridden USB cable that I had no clue was corrupted...I used that same cable on the laptop and the same $hit happened to my mom's cpu that I opened this thread for...You don't even wanna know how many curse words despising my presence I've had to hear this week from her...I took her comp to Best Buy Geek Squad who are charging me 3 bills to fix this $hit (What's the point of a warranty when you still gotta give up that much cake?) Those bastards are totally over-charging me (Since I think there are some prompt techniques that might work I researched online), but I have no choice since my mom will literally murder me if she loses all her stuff on the HD (So I can't even play around with it)...So the new Ps3 I was gonna get myself this xmas will have to wait...Mutha-F'ing USB cable...For the love of all that is holy...

Deleting my HD hurt, but I'd do it 10 times over before paying the a$$inine prices for damn near every avenue I looked at for help...From the national, to the local levels--to the in-person and on-the-phone, computer support has to be one of the gayest areas of consumer raping I've ever experienced...
Old 2008-12-09, 16:21   Link #23
Tiberium Wolf

You had what???
Old 2008-12-09, 17:58   Link #24
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

A virus-ridden...USB cable?

I hope you do mean USB flash drive, because I have not heard of the above breed before.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 18:45   Link #25
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
A virus-ridden...USB cable?

I hope you do mean USB flash drive, because I have not heard of the above breed before.
yeh me too it made me twitch for a moment o.o who could've ever known
I'd keep the damn thing just for that lol

edit:

Just cause I am curious and my friend asked me as well, hwo is that even possible ?!
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 18:51   Link #26
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Just cause I am curious and my friend asked me as well, h[ow] is that even possible ?!
Having a virus-ridden USB cable? It isn't.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 19:57   Link #27
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Having a virus-ridden USB cable? It isn't.
then what happened? lol
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 20:14   Link #28
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

A corrupt USB Cord was the problem according to Geek Squad and the fact that the cord was the only thing my cpu and my mom cpu had in common...After I put the cord in her laptop it got the same error (not before)...I don't know how else to describe it, but it was the cord that caused the problem...I know mice and keyboards can get infected, so why not a USB cord? (This one was pretty damn old, like atleast 8, 9 years) In any event that old a$$ $hitty cord I got from my uncle a while back has been trashed...The only reason I used it was because it was long as hell and made catching wifi easier because I could move it all around the house...
Old 2008-12-09, 20:24   Link #29
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

A regular USB cable is passive, it has no active components to get infected per se. Though, saying that, mice and keyboards getting infected is a new one on me too.

At a guess I would go for this being a confusion of terminology. All of the above can be damaged in a way that could cause subsequent problems. A physically damaged USB cable could, for example, result in data being corrupted in transit, resulting in a corrupted message/data at the other end (on a hard disk or remote computer, for example).
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 21:12   Link #30
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
A regular USB cable is passive, it has no active components to get infected per se. Though, saying that, mice and keyboards getting infected is a new one on me too.

At a guess I would go for this being a confusion of terminology. All of the above can be damaged in a way that could cause subsequent problems. A physically damaged USB cable could, for example, result in data being corrupted in transit, resulting in a corrupted message/data at the other end (on a hard disk or remote computer, for example).
Again the only connection between my computer and my mom's laptop was the cord...There was nothing else it could have been...Just common sense told me that...I mean right after I tried to reboot her cpu her screen did the EXACT 100% same $hit my cpu did (which I explained in my first post)...It was working perfectly before I used my USB cord with it...Perhaps my terminology is wrong, but it was the cord that provided the problem...As for the rest, my uncle is an IT professional for Cox Communications (like makes 90,000 a year) and he's told me for years and years how infected mice and keyboards can destroy your whole computer....I don't deny my lack of explaining things very technically...I speak more metaphorically in general, but if it wasn't the cord it could only be GOD...
Old 2008-12-10, 03:12   Link #31
Tiberium Wolf

Infected mice and keyboard?

What was at the other end of the usb cable?
Old 2008-12-10, 04:23   Link #32
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Sorry but you are talking mostly nonsense here.

Infected mice and keyboard: While I'm sure there are "intelligent" mice and keyboards out there that might be able to be infected, 99.99% of mice and keyboards cannot be infected in the way you imply. Even with the 0.01% of mice and keyboards that might be susceptible it would require a very specific virus targeted to the particular device. So yes, anything is possible but in the context we are talking off, it is not possible to infect a passive mouse or keyboard with a virus.

Infected USB cord: I would like to bet a $100 that this is also nonsense. I would say it is quite clear what happened in your case. You connected your PC and your Mom's laptop with this cable and the laptop got infected. This has nothing to do with the USB cable (or cord or whatever you want to call it), it was the fact that you established a data connection between the two machines.

The bottom line was that you were extremely careless and the grief you received from your Mother was entirely justified. Your carelessness was due to your Mom's laptop from being infected, nothing more, nothing less. The cable didn't do it, it was the fact that you connected the machines together and during that time you transferred the virus across.

The sad thing is that I'm sure that in your worlds view, you are still not to blame for this fiasco. Despite the evidence to the contrary I'm sure you see yourself as the victim here. Fair enough, your PC was infected with a virus, that was unfortunate and nowadays it is becoming more and more difficult to stop this from happening but you can be blamed for spreading the virus to a second PC. You failed big time there, I bet you didn't even ask your Mom if you could use her PC for this, and why, why, WHY, did you connect it with your know infected system.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 05:10   Link #33
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
and why, why, WHY, did you connect it with your know infected system.
You are over reacting xris, he did not know it was a virus before connecting it to his mothers' pc. I personally did not know of such a virus before, the reference I looked over only indicated it as system error, which was what he assumed as well (doing a more indepth search I still can not find anything in particular). All be it with how many vulnerabilities come with every single plugin extention and program the chances of a careless user getting zapped is quite high.

In all honestly I doubt it is a virus though.
Old 2008-12-10, 05:24   Link #34
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
You are over reacting xris, he did not know it was a virus before connecting it to his mothers' pc. I personally did not know of such a virus before, the reference I looked over only indicated it as system error, which was what he assumed as well (doing a more indepth search I still can not find anything in particular). All be it with how many vulnerabilities come with every single plugin extention and program the chances of a careless user getting zapped is quite high.

In all honestly I doubt it is a virus though.
Yes, very good point. I take back what I said since the initial report of the problem certainly doesn't sound like a virus.

I'm having doubts about the initial problem being a virus as well. It may well be that the PC did have a virus lurking around previous to the boot problem or that the virus thrashed some part of the boot code and the end result was that the PC couldn't boot.

Mind if the laptop had the same boot problem then it would seem to point to a malicious virus of some kind, that would be the most probable explanation as to how the same fault appeared on two separate machines. But then, I'm not even sure if it was actually the same fault/virus.

BTW, "infected keyboard " and "infected mice" tags have been removed, not really relevant as tags.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 05:25   Link #35
asunder
the ancient biter

"what" is this usb cable connected to? (each end to make it explicitly clear)

have you tried booting (both the laptop or your pc) without this "cable" (and whatever device it's connected to) ?

honestly you should just allow bestbuy to fix or treat a friend to dinner to fix it.

anyways i think cats already posted something but here's the set of instructions i'd use:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063/
scroll down to the "Error occurs after Windows XP is already installed" and go from there.
asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 07:37   Link #36
npcomplete

wingdarkness: try running memtest available here:

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
- bootable CD iso: http://www.memtest.org/download/2.10...+-2.10.iso.zip

If your install has been working fine for some time that error typically comes about because some bits are flipped where it should not be. Assuming that the device itself is still good, it usually comes about through corrupted code on the hard drive or corruption in memory.
To eliminate the possibility of bad memory, trying running memtest for a few (3+) days 24/7 if you can set aside your machine for a while.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 07:41   Link #37
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
.. As for the rest, my uncle is an IT professional for Cox Communications (like makes 90,000 a year) and he's told me for years and years how infected mice and keyboards can destroy your whole computer....I don't deny my lack of explaining things very technically...I speak more metaphorically in general, but if it wasn't the cord it could only be GOD...
I think he must have meant a bad mouse or keyboard rather than one "infected" with a virus -- basically bad electrical issues can "propagate" through connected hardware.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 09:52   Link #38
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Well I guess it's bad mouse, or bad keyboard...Again I'm not so good with the exact technical terms as much as just saying what I think it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
You connected your PC and your Mom's laptop with this cable and the laptop got infected. This has nothing to do with the USB cable (or cord or whatever you want to call it), it was the fact that you established a data connection between the two machines.
Totally, unequivically, incorrect...You have no idea what you are talking about in this case..I never connected my cpu with my mom's laptop...In no way form or fashion...THE CORD WAS THE ONLY THING I USED ON BOTH CPU'S...It was hooked up to a Verizon Wireless Broadband connection...A connection that my mom has used on her cpu for 2 years with not one single problem...Again whatever the terminology is you can debate over it (Also as Cats suggests it wasn't a problem I was aware of in the slightest), but it was a bad cord that did this...Can I have that 100$ dollars please, because I need it after all this...
Quote:
Yes, very good point. I take back what I said since the initial report of the problem certainly doesn't sound like a virus.
Yeah I don't know exactly if it was virus, but the hardware was corrupted to some extent--which Geek Squad also confirmed...You guys are way more knowledgable on this than I am, and I'm not trying to argue, I'm just saying the cord had to be the culprit...I can't see what else it could have been...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2008-12-10 at 10:03.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 11:33   Link #39
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about in this case..I never connected my cpu with my mom's laptop...In no way form or fashion...THE CORD WAS THE ONLY THING I USED ON BOTH CPU'S...
You do not connect CPUs. The only thing they are connected to is the motherboard socket.
Old 2008-12-10, 13:37   Link #40
Loniat
Paranoid Android

It looks like you had a short-circuited USB cable.

But be on the safe side, this virus could have infected the monitor as well. Get rid of it.