AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-09, 14:49   Link #1001
TJR
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I suspect that having played the game or read the manga before is a detriment to enjoying the show, as usual.
I think so because the freshness of the story is gone. However, wherever possible, I read the original work and even the episode summaries before watching anything, so most series are on equal footing. I love some shows despite knowing what happens, but Phantom isn't one of them.

How well a show entertains people who know the details......I think about this a lot. Presentation and filmmaking qualities are things I want to learn about, and we often ignore these things if a story seems interesting. Take this season's Umineko for example. It's a horribly done show that pays no attention to details, pace, or atmosphere. However, because the original story is mysterious, most viewers forgive or fail to notice the faults.

Quote:
If it's just the adaptation that you're calling mechanical, that makes me wonder how the writers can win: if they stick to the original, they're mechanical; if they change it, they are castigated for every change.
Depending on reception, I think they might have to find some balance. While studios previously swung heavily toward taking liberties, we're seeing a knee-jerk reaction to today's backlash against that kind of show. They're now swinging toward the opposite end of the spectrum, even if some things don't translate well (or were mediocre to begin with ).

Quote:
I don't want to put words in your mouth, but maybe you want more obvious emotion? But less emotion on the surface and more real humanity beneath is one of the things I like about this show. And I got a great hit of emotion from the soulless Elen a couple of times, thanks to Takagaki Ayahi.
I'll have to rewatch the show to make a better assessment, but my impression is that the emotion is actually too obvious.

This is probably where previous experience with the source hurt my enjoyment. However, the game was heavy in exposition and narration, and it gave the reader hours to appreciate each character's situation.

In the adapted version, the characters generally act and respond the same way but the buildup isn't there. There's little breathing room -> almost like the writers follow a straight path and painstakingly calculate the time needed to go from Point A to B to C..........if that makes any sense. The director tries to compensate by heightening the emotion during key scenes, but that makes it worse for me.

It's hard to convert a novel, but instead of methodically keeping key scenes and cutting expository fat, I guess I would favor a few original episodes to expand on characters. The Tony Stone arc helped a little, but even that focused on the action side of things.

Quote:
Can you tell me where to find staff info that shows the same editors doing both this and Hayate2? Certainly different studios and editing studios, but I'm not doubting what you say, just want to know how to find such info. I found the Hayate info on an atwiki, but can't find it for Phantom.
Oops! By edit, I actually meant the series story editor, Yousuke Kuroda.

What's interesting is that Phantom and Hayate don't just share Kuroda, but also most of the same writers.

Hideki Shirane -> Phantom 05, Hayate 01/16/17
Kazuho Hyodo -> Phantom 02/07/12/16, Hayate 06/07/11/12/18
Shougo Yasukawa -> Phantom 03/10/14, Hayate 04/08
Tatsuya Takahashi -> Phantom 08/09/15, Hayate 02/03/13
Yousuke Kuroda -> Phantom 01/04/17, Hayate 10

Quote:
Kuroda Yousuke adapted this and co-adapts that. But he also did Gundam00 and both Honey & Clover shows. I thought H&C, especially the first series, was a very successful adaptation, and it was incredibly faithful to the manga, as you say this is to the game. I feel some of the subtlety and human sensitivity of that here, to be honest.
Never watched Honey & Clover, but I just learned that Kuroda adapted Hellsing Ultimate, which I don't like either. Guess it could be his methodology I'm unhappy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Brutally put, in my opinion the taste of the japanese fanbase is horrible and 90% incompatible with my own. They have started with a very strange and disconcerting worship of moe productions of well-liked animation studios (the excesses about the amazingly mediocre K-On will linger in my mind for a long time). And few animation studios take the risk of new, original shows anymore, leading to a flood of conversions. And here, no matter how excellent they are (Phantom or Hayate), there will always be complaints. Another example: FMA Brotherhood - wonderful conversion, and quickly dwindling viewership.
Not a fan of shallow moe or crass service either. Dropped K-On after two episodes, and to me, its smashing success is a sign of everything that's wrong with the anime industry. However, I don't know if these conversions are the answer. Something's got to be wrong when follow ups to popular shows lose their audiences. I don't watch FMA, but I've heard similar complaints -> that fans feel a lack of energy and passion from the animators. In a highly creative field, literal interpretations may not be the ideal fit.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 15:08   Link #1002
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
However, I don't know if these conversions are the answer. Something's got to be wrong when follow ups to popular shows lose their audiences. I don't watch FMA, but I've heard similar complaints -> that fans feel a lack of energy and passion from the animators. In a highly creative field, literal interpretations may not be the ideal fit.
The reason people are complaining about FMA:B is because they're rushing through it way too fast. The manga is monthly, with an average of about 42 pages per chapter. Despite that, each episode so far has done between two and four chapters per episode. They leave out many scenes, and though they may not be "important", they're scenes that shouldn't be removed just to rush through the series.

It's not a problem with direct conversions at all. It's just that people want new material, since they've already read/played the original. Nostalgia then comes in, and prevents them from feeling the same way towards the adaptation. However, when new material on current properties comes in, we get horrible stories that usually directly conflict with the source material, which ends up pissing everyone off.

So really, there's no way to win. The Japanese audience wants moe blob, so that's what they get. The only other thing that seems to do well is shounen shows like Dragonball Kai, One Piece, and Naruto. Then there's the fact that many fans buy the manga, which is ridiculously cheap in Japan (about $4 for a volume, or $2.50 for a magazine). However, the anime versions are ridiculously expensive, coming in at approximately $10-20 per episode. It's really only the die-hards that buy everything up, and once they either run out of money, die, or nerd-rage out, the anime industry will likely either collapse or be forced to go into a rapid restructuring.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 16:11   Link #1003
FireChick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
I have a question. Since Ein and Zwei got character CDs out, are they gonna make one for Cal? Just curious (loves Sawashiro Miyuki).
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 16:55   Link #1004
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
@orion
Spoiler for ep18:

@coroloro -- From the start, there has been something about the way Sawashiro Miyuki is voicing Cal that has made me leery of her.
Spoiler for ep19:

@TJR -- Thanks for the interesting and informative responses. They give me more angles on the show.

@FireChick -- I checked the official site and 2channel and couldn't find any suggestion of a Miyukichi CD. Yet.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 18:04   Link #1005
-Sho-
~Omedetô~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
Spoiler for Episode 19:
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 18:18   Link #1006
Boduar
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose
Age: 26
Guess ill hold since im too lazy for spoiler tags(edit)
Boduar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 19:28   Link #1007
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: All over the place...
Spoiler for Epi 19:
__________________

Latest Post: Black Lagoon Summaries Update and Volume 1 (VIZ) Impressions… (August 15,2008)
Latest Summary: Elemental Gelade [Volume 14] (July 29, 2008)
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 20:13   Link #1008
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
I have a question. Since Ein and Zwei got character CDs out, are they gonna make one for Cal? Just curious (loves Sawashiro Miyuki).
But Drei is the third character focus. It would make better sense for Drei to have the CD imo.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 20:22   Link #1009
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
@orion
Spoiler for ep18:
18's been out for a while now. Why are you still using spoiler tags?

Actually, the thought of commiting suicide was next on the agenda. He was waiting for Elen to kill him at the ole stomping grounds. Claudia left/dying, Elen in the hands of SM (still jealous of SM aren't we Reiji?) and Cal...

Now, if he was a little more observant, he should have noticed she was wearing shorts that time and not the skirt. Honest mistakes can happen. Elen was more observant and Reiji didn't have Elen reminding him about monitoring his environment. (I think he got a little sloppy after Elen went missing. ) Cut the poor teen assassin some slack.

Oh yeah..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
This pic fits ... Reiji considers himself in SM's shadow even when he's the only one there (insecure male) and has not been true to himself yet imo.
__________________

Last edited by orion; 2009-08-09 at 20:36.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 20:36   Link #1010
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
If Scythe does not die a horrific, painful and slow death I will be disappointed.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 22:02   Link #1011
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
didn't expect ep 19 to be that much of a recap and only 5min of plot...

but still, it pretty good.

Spoiler for arggg:
__________________
SwiftStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 22:10   Link #1012
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
If Scythe does not die a horrific, painful and slow death I will be disappointed.
Nah, I want Elen to give him a swift death for all the crap that she's endured.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 23:19   Link #1013
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
i have a question as to drei identity
possible game spoiler
Spoiler:
__________________
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 00:54   Link #1014
DeadlySoldier37
The players president
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, Virginia
Age: 25
I just saw episode 19, most of it was a recap, with some new added scenes and the last five minutes which totally pissed me off.

Well it seems like the real Mexican stand off starts next week, looking forward to it.
DeadlySoldier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 05:29   Link #1015
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Roanapur
Age: 22
I usually hate recaps but this one was great.

Spoiler:
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 08:02   Link #1016
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Nah, I want Elen to give him a swift death for all the crap that she's endured.
He doesn't deserve a swift death. A slow and painful one is best.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 08:22   Link #1017
Nayrael
The Faceless One
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Varaždin, Croatia
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
He doesn't deserve a swift death. A slow and painful one is best.
This man is twisted. He might actually enjoj the fact that his killer has fallen so low to do this to him.
__________________
Nayrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 15:39   Link #1018
Mei19
LOL'ing at t3h old bags
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
He doesn't deserve a swift death. A slow and painful one is best.
Did I hear Slow Painful Death? Why slow painful death? Naw that's still so gentle.

Keep him alive. Drill in nails in all of his fingers one by one, cut one third of his fingernails, stab his eyeballs, skin him, stitch his eyes shut, stitch his mouth shut, gouge his kneejoints, cripple him, destroy the object of his obsessions, torture him 24/7. Keep him half dead every minute of his life. Do whatever it takes to make him scream. Never let him die. Never let it end. Torture over and over. XD Ahhh now that's better. Ellen should ask Reiji to help her do that. It'll be their perfect past time.
Mei19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 12:10   Link #1019
g1alpha
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Right behind you!!!
I just finished watching ep 18 and aside from the fact that it was very rushed, why in the world did Ein (Elen) go back to Scythe if she was living for Reiji?
g1alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 12:13   Link #1020
Nayrael
The Faceless One
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Varaždin, Croatia
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
I think Scyhte fished her out of the sea.

Anyway, seems that I am either senile or Reiji is geting an anime-only friend in Japan (judging by Character section on the official site as I don't remember that guy at all).
__________________
Nayrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, eroge, gunfights, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.