AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

Old 2009-04-04, 00:07   Link #701
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Wait, Rie Tanaka was Yomi?! All this time I never knew! Gah... I am a failure as a her fan.
(Maybe it was because I like Sakaki and Kagura more?)

My thinking is that Ritsu isn't dumb, she doesn't give off that bonkura vibe, she's just a go-getter (hence why I compare her to Kageyama Torako and Manabi, and also why I compare Mio to Tatsuki and Mei in Hyakko and Manabi Straight respectively).

qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 00:19   Link #702
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
(I miss Rie Tanaka's Yomi voice).
Isn't Yomi voiced by Kaori Mizuhara?

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 00:24   Link #703
Ithekro
Space Battleship

Yeah, Rie was "Yomi" or Koyomi Mizuhara, though I think she was only called that once in the entire show. Most people forget (or didn't know) that. I know because that was the first of her roles I saw. There was something about that voice. I looked her up after her failed attempt at singing, and discovered one of her real songs..."wow". Not only a good voice, and talented, but she looks good too. (voice love is dangeous)

It is still a little early to get a real feel for these characters. Another few weeks and we'll see what is what. Though I am amazed at the picking of waifu's with only one episode out...seems....premature.

Quote:
Isn't Yomi voiced by Kaoru Mizuhara?
Different Yomi. You are thinking of Ga-rei-Zero. I'm thinking about Azumanga Daioh.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2009-04-04 at 01:41.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 01:35   Link #704
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

OK, I'm a sucker for anything Kyo-Ani, naturally I wouldn't miss this for the world, so shoot me.

Anyway, this series retains most of the crew from Lucky Star, starting with character designer Horiguchi Yukiko.

I'm going to need some time to get used to the OP and ED songs, but it shouldn't be hard before they become etched in my mind. Yui is the main vocal for the OP, while Mio is the one for the ED. (And don't they look hawt in those costumes? )

This being the first episode, we're all getting used to the main characters, though I think I've already fallen for Yui the dojikko and Mio the "voice of reason", their personalities rather mirror the Hiiragi twins, no?

In fact, just for first glance, there is indeed some similarity between the K-On! girls and the Lucky Star girls:

Ritsu = Konata - both thinking outside the box
Mio = Kagami - voice of reason
Yui = Tsukasa - dojikko
Tsumugi = Miyuki - the elegant ojousama

And did I just see Johannes Krauser II make a cameo? lol

One gripe I have is that, like Clannad, TBS decides to rip everyone off by showing the series in 4:3 format, with the 16:9 format shown on their satellite pay-TV three weeks later. I wonder if the subbers will follow SS-Eclipse's example with Clannad and provide fans with the 16:9 format as well?

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 01:48   Link #705
MartianMage

Just watched the first episode. Seems pretty ok but yeah I'll have to agree with the complaints regarding the animation. Don't get me wrong. I really don't mind but it's undeniable that there are some parts where the art quality is kinda bad and there are excessive animation that they can just drop. Well in any case I hope the story is interesting.

Oh I have a personal complaint. I don't like Yui. I don't like characters who are unbelievably clumsy. =/
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 03:16   Link #706
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
And so I have arrived at the moment many have probably all been waiting for (dreading) and since this is the first new season episode out of the gate that I care enough about to do this for, here is my first impression post for K-On.

That took entirely too long. Apparently I am supposed to hate this show and studio or something so I have to wonder why I would bother to spend almost 3:00 hours combing over it to give my summary/impression in a brief return to my old style of reviewing. Hmmmmmm.....
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 03:31   Link #707
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

Oh , man this show is pretty cool. i was browsing the torrent list on animesuki and this had a huge number of seeds so I decided to check it out.

Yui is so annoying, but her cuteness just outweighs that and makes everything better!

EDIT: was this show made by the "Welcome to the NHK" people? Art looks similar,.
Old 2009-04-04, 03:42   Link #708
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Edge View Post
EDIT: was this show made by the "Welcome to the NHK" people? Art looks similar,.

And so thousands of fans collectively cry (and gather pitchforks, charcoal, tar, feathers, wood, rope and stake) as KyoAni was mistaken for GONZO.
Old 2009-04-04, 03:47   Link #709
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Nice first episode!

I find it very easy to like all the main girls!
Old 2009-04-04, 03:49   Link #710
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

Oh whoops, lol.

I watched part of it again and the samll feet and hands, as well as the "lack of detail" (not a bad thing in this case) also reminds me of Digimon. has anyone here watched Digimon: the movie? Don't the drawings of the body look alike?
Old 2009-04-04, 03:50   Link #711
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Nice first episode!

I find it very easy to like all the main girls!
Sorry, but while I like Yui and find Mio and Tsumugi tolerable I can't help but find Ritsu to be incredibly annoying.
Old 2009-04-04, 03:51   Link #712
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Sorry, but while I like Yui and find Mio and Tsumugi tolerable I can't help but find Ritsu to be incredibly annoying.
Really? To me, Yui's the really annyoing one

vandakiara's attic ~
pwease visit :3

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
vandakiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 04:08   Link #713
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandakiara View Post
Really? To me, Yui's the really annyoing one
Well, they all represent stereotypes so it boils down to which one you like or hate the least. I like all of them but find Yui slightly annoying.
Old 2009-04-04, 04:28   Link #714
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well, they all represent stereotypes so it boils down to which one you like or hate the least. I like all of them but find Yui slightly annoying.
Lots of Slice of Life shows seem to use the formula. (Ichigo Mashimaro and Azumanga come to mind) But I'm with you character-wise.
Nukerjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 04:31   Link #715
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Which brings me to another point, I hope we will be seeing some solid character development in the coming episodes because right now there is really none beyond the core character archetypes.
Old 2009-04-04, 04:40   Link #716
Beruko08
The Shadow of Twilight
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Beruko08 Send a message via Skype™ to Beruko08
Just finished ep 1, very hilarious & get me back the feelings when i watched Lucky Star.
Though there's some girls quite annoying but why don't we just see them as a part of comedy? (my friend said: "a comedy at least needs an idiot")

Umineko no naku koro ni

Current Playing: Oblivion IV, Recettear, Bad Company 2, Starcraft II.
Current Watching Shiki, Seitokai, Mitsudomoe, Densetsu, Nurarihyon no mago, FMP Brotherhood, HOTD, Occult
Beruko08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 04:43   Link #717
Sheba
Cannot Unsee It

Quote:
And so I have arrived at the moment many have probably all been waiting for (dreading) and since this is the first new season episode out of the gate that I care enough about to do this for, here is my first impression post for K-On.

That took entirely too long. Apparently I am supposed to hate this show and studio or something so I have to wonder why I would bother to spend almost 3:00 hours combing over it to give my summary/impression in a brief return to my old style of reviewing. Hmmmmmm.....
That's because you are a joyless masochist who is going through the great pain of watching something you obviously never enjoy and should be waiting for the Mazinger remake instead.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 05:28   Link #718
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Which brings me to another point, I hope we will be seeing some solid character development in the coming episodes because right now there is really none beyond the core character archetypes.
As i was saying before, we'll see development, though not on the level we'd want to see. Which is fine, because i know Kyoani will stick with the moe humor. That's fine.

My favorite character at the moment is easily Mio.
Old 2009-04-04, 05:40   Link #719
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

It'd certainly be pretty rewarding if they put in some development in there. I think that's typically the moment where a lot of slice of life shows shine, by throwing in that caviar in there. It then feels like a freebie.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 05:46   Link #720
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
And so thousands of fans collectively cry (and gather pitchforks, charcoal, tar, feathers, wood, rope and stake) as KyoAni was mistaken for GONZO.
A little shallow on the standards for impressions there don't you think?

I don't know about others, but I found Welcome to The NHK to be one of the more enjoyable slice of life series in the past 5 years despite being made by the supposedly universally awful company GONZO. If we are to draw comparisons and contrasts as you would wish then I would say that the supposedly universally perfect masterpiece producer Kyoani's K-On should only hope to aspire to GONZO's adaptation of Welcome To The NHK at this stage, that the first episode of NHK was more enjoyable and far and away more intriguing then the first episode of K-On by leaps and bounds, and that while K-On appears ready to just play it safe and appeal to the moe crowd, NHK actually bothered to take on the serious issues plaguing Japanese sub-cultures and did an excellent job of portraying the outside view of Hikkomori's with the human side of them as well. A solid marriage of quirky comedy and sobering reality with a dash of black comedy added in to seal the deal.

So yeah, lets try to avoid judging shows by the supposed inherent traits of their studios and by the shows presentation and merits themselves please. Lest we run into problems.

Tags
comedy, kyoto animation, light music, moe, seinen