AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2016-07-02, 20:34   Link #1
SethOfI

Anime Inspired Japanese Original (Canadian Artist)

Hello, my name is Seth and I'm a musician from Ottawa, Ontario.

This year I launched a solo project with which I want to write Japanese rock / pop inspired music, and hopefully someday soon put together a band and promote the appreciation of Japanese music in Canada.

As a huge fan of anime, it is not uncommon for me to inspire myself with themes from shows I've watched. My first single "BELiEVE" was written originally as a bit of a challenge to myself, I wanted to compose a fan opening to "Noragami: Aragoto" for which I read the announcement at the time. Granted I hadn't even finished the first series when I wrote it, but this song captures the vibe I got from the show at the time.

You can hear it here on my soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/sethitari/seth-believe-japanese

If you like what you hear, you can support me by buying the single on iTunes, but for a limited time I am also offering the whole single free (you can see my facebook post here for the download link)

Keep in mind, I am not Japanese, I try really hard to write Japanese lyrics partially as a tribute to the music I love and to someday promote it locally, but also for practice as I am currently studying Japanese. This said, anyone who wants to give me constructive criticism on my Japanese, be it pronunciation or use of phrasing / grammar you didn't think fit or sounded natural in the context of a song, I'd love to learn from what you have to say! Admittedly this song will probably not be the best example of my Japanese level, as the lyrics were co-written along with some friends of mine in Japan.

Please let me know what you think, and consider sharing it or following my work for more if you enjoy it!
SethOfI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-02, 21:28   Link #2
Seyeumi

Hey this sounds really great even if you are not Japanese, I really like the part from 0:22 to around 0:35 the tone sounds really nice and even. I am a native Japanese speaker, and I feel as though you are really good at lines that are condensed with a lot of lyrics! The only thing I think you could work on is evening out your tone for when you have long notes.
Old 2016-07-02, 22:02   Link #3
SethOfI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyeumi View Post
I am a native Japanese speaker, and I feel as though you are really good at lines that are condensed with a lot of lyrics! The only thing I think you could work on is evening out your tone for when you have long notes.
Thanks so much for your feedback, this is really helpful.

If I may ask, when you say tone do you mean the expected pronounced tone of the word/syllable (I assume you mean this), or just the general musical tone of the long notes (I also think I need to improve on this as well)?

I bet I probably need to work on both either way, but if what you mean is the former, could you point out some examples in Japanese songs where the artist pronounces long notes really well, and then point out a part of my song where you find it particularly unnatural, so I can perhaps try to get an idea for what kinds of things I should work on for different syllables?

Again, thanks so much for listening! I really appreciate the feedback.
SethOfI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-02, 23:09   Link #4
Seyeumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethOfI View Post
Thanks so much for your feedback, this is really helpful.

If I may ask, when you say tone do you mean the expected pronounced tone of the word/syllable (I assume you mean this), or just the general musical tone of the long notes (I also think I need to improve on this as well)?

I bet I probably need to work on both either way, but if what you mean is the former, could you point out some examples in Japanese songs where the artist pronounces long notes really well, and then point out a part of my song where you find it particularly unnatural, so I can perhaps try to get an idea for what kinds of things I should work on for different syllables?

Again, thanks so much for listening! I really appreciate the feedback.
Oh sorry, I meant musical tone I wasn't very specific. Your pronunciation is fine

Tags
anime music, band, fan opening, music, noragami